PDA

View Full Version : Cuben tarps - question

Praha4
08-01-2013, 11:35
I'm looking at several cuben fiber tarps on the market, any comments pro/con are welcome. First, I don't see the Lightheart Solo cuben shelter at her website, is she no longer selling them? Second, the MLD Patrol tarp looks decent, anyone used it? Any other recommended solo cuben tarps out there?

DeerPath
08-01-2013, 11:46
http://www.zpacks.com/

Just Bill
08-01-2013, 12:09
Judy may have to comment herself, but I believe I read a post from her on BPL that she was moving away from CF. I was going to start a thread in MYOG area to ask her about this actually. I make my own sil-nylon stuff now, but am considering the switch. I think the main factor is what type of tarp do you want? Do you want a ray-way style with beaks, a flat tarp you can do anything you want with, a cat cut A-frame, a tarp tent with options... Figure that part out first, that will narrow down your choices pretty quick as each of the few CF folks out there has a little different specialty. The other tricky thing is the fabric weight. That's another personal choice that not just you, but some of the cottage guys make for you out of their personal preference. Joe at Zpacks seems to have a little of everything and will go as low as .51 oz, his Hexamid line is his specialty, his products very good. MLD has their stuff and their testing/experience/integrity behind them, but not so many options as a result. Tricky choice and at about $30yd even for MYOG folks it's a tough choice to make. You may consider what I am doing- play with $7yd sil-nylon until you find your "soulmate"- then make the switch.

Barbarosa
08-01-2013, 12:14
I have the MLS Duomid, its well made, easy to pitch, light, and absolutely huge. I couldn't be happier with it.

Just Bill
08-01-2013, 12:15
Zpacks is in Florida btw- Joe may let you stop by to see some in person...

Odd Man Out
08-01-2013, 12:54
I'm looking at several cuben fiber tarps on the market, any comments pro/con are welcome. First, I don't see the Lightheart Solo cuben shelter at her website, is she no longer selling them ...

Six Moon Designs Skyscape X seems similar to the Lightheart tent. It does come in CF, but seems to back ordered right now.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/smdnews/149-skyscape-x-reserve-program.html

I was recently reading a good review of this tent.
http://hikelighter.com/2012/04/03/six-moon-designs-skyscape-x/

Disclaimer: I don't have experience with this tent. Just shopping as you are and passing on info.

nu2hike
08-01-2013, 13:59
Not sure if this is what you're interested in, but I have a CF tarp made by hammockgear. (hammockgear.com)
It has a 10 ft10" ridge line, the sides are 8ft5" wide and has doors! Complete with guy lines it weighs about 8 oz. .
other than the obvious weight saving the other thing I like about it is that unlike sil nylon it doesn't absorb water! If it gets wet I just shake it off!

peakbagger
08-01-2013, 14:24
Hyperlight gear makes a nice Cuban fiber tarp. They have a "beak" that would increase the weather resistance substantially

Dogwood
08-01-2013, 16:11
R U looking for a flat or catenary cut CF tarp, a CF tarp tent, simply a more traditional tent made of CF, or some hybrid?

MLD, HMG, oware, zpacks and several others make CF shelters. I love my CF MLD Grace tarps and looking at a Zpacks Hexamid(CF), SMD Skyscape(CF), and posiibly a HMG tarp with the beak.

Praha4
08-01-2013, 16:14
I have an MLD Grace solo tarp, silnylon, with the lightest stakes and guylines I have gotten total weight down to approx. 15.5 oz. I'm looking to see how much I can save on weight for a similar style cuben tarp, maybe the MLD Grace cuben tarp or Patrol Tarp. The Hyperlight gear tarp looks decent too, the Echo-I has the similar catenary curve to the Grace tarp. I saw the "beak" with the Echo-I U/L Shelter System at their website, it's included in the price, appears to add 4 oz to the weight of the Echo-I Tarp. I don't see the "beak" listed separately if you don't want the shelter insert. Wonder what is the cost of just the Echo-I tarp, with the beak, and no system bugnet insert.
Hyperlight gear makes a nice Cuban fiber tarp. They have a "beak" that would increase the weather resistance substantially

Praha4
08-01-2013, 16:17
I'm leaning toward the Cat cut A-frame style like the MLD Grace Tarp, I already have the solo Grace tarp in sil-nylon, it's great except for wind driven rain. I've pitched it low to the ground which helps, but without a bivy sack it's hard to keep a down bag dry inside. Thanks for the advice.
Judy may have to comment herself, but I believe I read a post from her on BPL that she was moving away from CF. I was going to start a thread in MYea to ask her about this actually. I make my own sil-nylon stuff now, but am considering the switch. I think the main factor is what type of tarp do you want? Do you want a ray-way style with beaks, a flat tarp you can do anything you want with, a cat cut A-frame, a tarp tent with options... Figure that part out first, that will narrow down your choices pretty quick as each of the few CF folks out there has a little different specialty. The other tricky thing is the fabric weight. That's another personal choice that not just you, but some of the cottage guys make for you out of their personal preference. Joe at Zpacks seems to have a little of everything and will go as low as .51 oz, his Hexamid line is his specialty, his products very good. MLD has their stuff and their testing/experience/integrity behind them, but not so many options as a result. Tricky choice and at about $30yd even for MYOG folks it's a tough choice to make. You may consider what I am doing- play with $7yd sil-nylon until you find your "soulmate"- then make the switch.

Just Bill
08-01-2013, 16:21
If you are happy with the Grace, why not just do the CF version? Issues you are trying to solve with the design or just shopping before you drop the big bucks?

Praha4
08-01-2013, 16:27
it's big bucks and i'm not in a big hurry so I'm just shopping a bit. I like MLD products, they are at top of my shopping list now.
If you are happy with the Grace, why not just do the CF version? Issues you are trying to solve with the design or just shopping before you drop the big bucks?

100MileBill
08-01-2013, 18:22
Not sure if this is what you're interested in, but I have a CF tarp made by hammockgear. (hammockgear.com)
It has a 10 ft10" ridge line, the sides are 8ft5" wide and has doors! Complete with guy lines it weighs about 8 oz. .
other than the obvious weight saving the other thing I like about it is that unlike sil nylon it doesn't absorb water! If it gets wet I just shake it off!

+1 on the Hammock Gear tarp! I have this one and love it!

Just Bill
08-01-2013, 18:37
A wise man ;) Take a peek around, but I honestly think you have one of the most elegant tarps there is in the grace, CF is a huge upgrade already. Sagging and misting issues will disappear after switching to CF. I like tarps at their simple best, when you start adding too much stuff you blur the line too much IMO. Tarp tents and all the add on's start to get messy and begin to defeat the point. Why buy a tarp and then add so much stuff to it that it turns into a crappy tent. The Zpacks Hexamids are an elegant solution for those issues without turning into a big mess. You could get a Hexamid (or similar) for around the same weight and have a fully enclosed shelter if you're leaning that way. Otherwise- lighten up the system that already works for you. Happy Shopping though!

T-Rx
08-01-2013, 19:17

+1 on this tarp. I love it and it saves me almost 11 oz. vs. a comparable sil nylon tarp.

l84toff
08-02-2013, 13:50
Was a toss up between zpacks and Hammockgear CF. Ended up going with HG as I was getting a couple of UQ's anyway. So far I'm really impressed with it. As has been said, crazy light, doesn't absorb any water - I can justy wipe it off and put it away. I'm playing around with some CF snake skins - but am still undecided about them. I'll need a few more hikes to decide.

About the only thing I'm considering is going with their basic CF tarp (without doors) for the Thru instead.

Razor
08-02-2013, 18:48
I have used a MLD solo for 4 years with no rips or sags in set-up. Highly pleased . no misting or other tent problems. There is a learning curve for set up because there is no room for error. After several rain experiences ,I can say it has been used out west and extensively on the AT and it has become my go -to shelter. With stakes ,7 oz and very compact. And for those who are thinking now---a nice price reduction from 4 years ago. CF will not be cheep from any supplier though . I have seen good product from Hyperlite but others are also beginning to get experience.

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2013, 20:21
I have had the wonderful opportunity to see & discuss with Stormcrow his 4 season tarps... He is knowledgeable and meticulous... I purchased custom underquilts from him

http://hammockgear.com/

griz43
08-03-2013, 15:48
How can I make cost effecient sil nylon tarp. Will be using it as a cover over bivy sak. Any ideas for bivy use would be useful. Going to give it a try. Thanks