PDA

View Full Version : Back home...

Hammock Hanger
08-02-2005, 08:00
I have to say I really missed you guys while I was away at summer camp. (Guess that is how my kids must have felt every summer about their friends.)

I left the Adirondacks mid-morning on Thursday. I took the longer scenic route and just enjoyed the morning and said my good-byes to those awesome mountains and many beautiful waterways.

Once up on the thru-way I got an idea to head over to a trail crossing and "hikernap" someone for dinner. I found myself up on 209 near the old Worthington Bakery. I parked my jeep and walk up to the trail.

Just after I arrived a young man came down the trail, his name was Rain. I asked him if he was hiking with a large group. He said just his girlfriend who he was waiting on. Minutes later she hiked down the trail, her name was Dance. I asked them if I could take them out for dinner. The looks said it all... "this lady is crazy". Then I explained who I was and why I would be interested in taking strangers out dinner. They agreed but I think they were still a little weired out by it.

Then they got to my Jeep saw all the backpacks, AT stickers etc, etc.

It was very satisfying for me and and I think that they enjoyed.:)

The next day on my way to Philly to pick up my husband at the airport I took every crazy route I could to come in contact with more AT hikers. By the time I reached Palmerton I had not met any. I was bummed.:(

Then onto Philly, got the husband and he drove us over to the SNP. Here I saw one lone female hiker but at that spot we could not pull over. From the guestbook at the Lodge I am guessing she was Grace-Two Steps. There was also a couple at the lodge as their packs were sitting out front but I didn't see them until they were hiking away and I was having dinner.

Then I drove my husband crazy with AT stories as we drove down I-81. I think he turned south on I-77 just to get me to stop. He says it was because it was a shorter route, yeah right! :p

I twisted my ankle at camp and continued to hike on it so it never really healed, so I'm hoping it will now so I'm ready for more hiking in the fall.

I'm glad to be back. Sue:clap

Smile
08-02-2005, 08:16
Welcome home! Sounds like you had a great time, any hikes happening down there in Florida?

Hammock Hanger
08-02-2005, 08:24
Welcome home! Sounds like you had a great time, any hikes happening down there in Florida?

No hikes for the tiime being, way too hot. LWOP and I are still considering hiking the whole FL trail this winter. I may get back up to do some more of the BMT in the fall.

For now it is kayak time.

Kerosene
08-02-2005, 10:04
Welcome back to the land of connectivity, HH! I must admit that I search out the AT road crossing whenever I'm back east also. I've given folks lifts into towns that they weren't asking for, but I've never had the opportunity to take them out to dinner. That would be fun.

Mini-Mosey
08-02-2005, 20:12
Darn....I was on an overnight backpacking trip on the Northern Virginia AT....first one in 4-5 months. Would have loved to have met you....although I'm obviously not a thru-hiker and certainly wouldn't have needed dinner. In time, perhaps. There are a number of people who have posted on here that I'd like to meet. I'll just keep on hikin' when I can, and perhaps paths will cross.

VAMTNHIKER
08-02-2005, 21:47
Welcome back HH!! :jump

Mini-M... see you on the trail in VA sometime!

Hammock Hanger
08-02-2005, 21:51
Ya just never know who you'll run into out there... maybe someday :)

neo
08-02-2005, 23:47
I have to say I really missed you guys while I was away at summer camp. (Guess that is how my kids must have felt every summer about their friends.)

I left the Adirondacks mid-morning on Thursday. I took the longer scenic route and just enjoyed the morning and said my good-byes to those awesome mountains and many beautiful waterways.

Once up on the thru-way I got an idea to head over to a trail crossing and "hikernap" someone for dinner. I found myself up on 209 near the old Worthington Bakery. I parked my jeep and walk up to the trail.

Just after I arrived a young man came down the trail, his name was Rain. I asked him if he was hiking with a large group. He said just his girlfriend who he was waiting on. Minutes later she hiked down the trail, her name was Dance. I asked them if I could take them out for dinner. The looks said it all... "this lady is crazy". Then I explained who I was and why I would be interested in taking strangers out dinner. They agreed but I think they were still a little weired out by it.

Then they got to my Jeep saw all the backpacks, AT stickers etc, etc.

It was very satisfying for me and and I think that they enjoyed.:)

The next day on my way to Philly to pick up my husband at the airport I took every crazy route I could to come in contact with more AT hikers. By the time I reached Palmerton I had not met any. I was bummed.:(

Then onto Philly, got the husband and he drove us over to the SNP. Here I saw one lone female hiker but at that spot we could not pull over. From the guestbook at the Lodge I am guessing she was Grace-Two Steps. There was also a couple at the lodge as their packs were sitting out front but I didn't see them until they were hiking away and I was having dinner.

Then I drove my husband crazy with AT stories as we drove down I-81. I think he turned south on I-77 just to get me to stop. He says it was because it was a shorter route, yeah right! :p

I twisted my ankle at camp and continued to hike on it so it never really healed, so I'm hoping it will now so I'm ready for more hiking in the fall.

I'm glad to be back. Sue:clap
what kind of jeep you have hammock hanger,i have a 1999 jeep tj wrangler
and my wife has a 1990 jeep cherokee:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6987/size/big/sort/1/cat/500

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7766/size/big/sort/1/cat/500

Dances with Mice
08-03-2005, 00:02
I have to say I really missed you guys...We missed u 2.

Dances with Mice
08-03-2005, 01:10
BTW, glad you’re back in the South again.

But then everybody knows that what goes up…
http://206.130.99.206/live/2005/SaturdayBigTossUpattheIJAF/DSC_1158.html
must come down… http://206.130.99.206/live/2005/SaturdayBigTossUpattheIJAF/DSC_1164.html

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2005, 07:51
what kind of jeep you have hammock hanger,i have a 1999 jeep tj wrangler
and my wife has a 1990 jeep cherokee:cool: neo

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (She is not a 4x4, but believe me she has earned her Jeep title. You can't believe the places/dirt roads I took her in 2003 when I was following some thrus along the trail. But she cleans up nice :p )

neo
08-03-2005, 13:06
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (She is not a 4x4, but believe me she has earned her Jeep title. You can't believe the places/dirt roads I took her in 2003 when I was following some thrus along the trail. But she cleans up nice :p )
very,very,very,cool:cool: neo

alanthealan
08-03-2005, 14:04
Hi HH. Met you at NOC this spring. Thankyou for your stories of perserverance. Seems like alot of hikers are getting lyme this year. Hope I can sqeak though unharmed. If not hopfully I am inspired by folks like you to perservere.
Cheers from Kent
<magictouch

jackiebolen
08-03-2005, 19:28
Hi Hammock Hanger (super-transcriber of the century!)...hope you're doing good.

Tell it like it is

Hikerhead
08-03-2005, 19:45
:clap We're glad you got back home Hammy :clap

:welcome Home

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2005, 21:11
[QUOTE=madmantra]Hi HH. Met you at NOC this spring. Thankyou for your stories of perserverance. Seems like alot of hikers are getting lyme this year. Hope I can sqeak though unharmed. If not hopfully I am inspired by folks like you to perservere.
Cheers from Kent

I was hoping to spot you guys when I was headed home and checking AT trailheads. Rain said that ON-Star was about 100 mils ahead.
<MAGICTOUCH[ p QUOTE]<>

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2005, 21:12
Hi Hammock Hanger (super-transcriber of the century!)...hope you're doing good.

Tell it like it is
I'm doing fine. I finished the AT. Now I am working on the BMT in sections and hope to thru-hike the FL Trail this winter.