PDA

View Full Version : This is a Cool Alcohol Stove

Tuckahoe
08-01-2013, 23:24
Maybe I am late to the game on this, but I thought this was a pretty cool stove. I wouldnt mind having one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BTzZFcIr3Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Another Kevin
08-02-2013, 00:46
I'd seen that one, and the video about building it. It looked like a high fiddle factor, even for me.

I use a (slightly modified) Penny Stove 2.0. It works pretty good. It's mostly self-lighting - in freezing weather, I need to use a primer but much warmer and it just lights. It's pretty efficient - I get a boil of half a litre of water on 20 ml of alcohol. It's a high fiddle factor, too, but doesn't look nearly as fiddly as that venturi-jet model.

moytoy
08-02-2013, 06:06
Pretty interesting. Like AK I use a penny stove that I made 10 years ago (actually I made about a dozen until I got the one I liked). I watched the how to video on this stove T64 and I'm guessing you wouldn't have much trouble making one yourself. I'm still waiting on you to start selling your little hiking knife:)

Maddog
08-02-2013, 08:05
I agree...It's pretty cool! I'll stick with my Evernew Ti Dx! Maddog:)

Another Kevin
08-02-2013, 09:10
What's the point of a stove that's cool? I thought they were supposed to be hot.. :-?

moytoy
08-02-2013, 13:46
What's the point of a stove that's cool? I thought they were supposed to be hot.. :-?
That's a pretty HOT stove! :)

Tuckahoe
08-02-2013, 19:19
Pretty interesting. Like AK I use a penny stove that I made 10 years ago (actually I made about a dozen until I got the one I liked). I watched the how to video on this stove T64 and I'm guessing you wouldn't have much trouble making one yourself. I'm still waiting on you to start selling your little hiking knife:)

Moytoy thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll be the first to admit I to the limit of my skill and while I can beat the daylights out of a piece of iron, I am not much for cold sheet metal work. Sigh, and I dont have tools for this sort of project.

On the otherhand there is no reason not to try... right? :)

In my limited knowledge of alcohol stoves, it seems to have what I like about my canister stove along with the benefits of the alcohol stove.

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2013, 20:17
Hmm fiddle factor? Boil vs Simmer? can we simmer with this stove?

hey Tuck... Good thread and nice find!

Tuckahoe
08-04-2013, 00:50
What really caught my attention was the ability to have an adjustable alcohol stove. It was one of the reasons I tended overlook the alcohol stove. Didn't care for the dump the fuel in and let it burn on high until the fuel was consumed.

So searching around i found the Featherfire -- http://packafeather.com/stove.html

Of course its already been discussed on WB, but after I get my hammock set up purchased, this may be the alcohol stove to try out.

fiddlehead
08-04-2013, 03:36
I too would want one of these stoves.
It looks like the best alcohol stove I've seen.
I'm not a big fan of them when hiking in the states as I'm usually in too much of a hurry to eat.
But, here in Asia, canisters are very hard to find so, I want to go alcohol.

Since this guy is not selling them, and I'm too anti-dextrous to make my own, can someone tell me the best and closest thing to this chimney stove idea.
I searched but only found threads a year or 3 old.
Thanks in advance.
(if nothing close, I'll have to talk one of my friends into trying to make this one)

winger
08-05-2013, 10:03
I have several alcohol stoves, but am considering buying one from this vendor:
http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/smokeeater908/smokeeater908-store/

Tuckahoe
08-05-2013, 10:33
Winger it was Smokeater's Ring of Fire stove that got me to take an interest in alcohol stoves. I've been waffling between something like the Packafeather Featherfire or the Ring of Fire. I've even thought about whether it would be a good idea to couple them with the Vargo hexagon wood stove as a wind screen. A duel fuel stove setup.

Pendragon
08-05-2013, 11:33
What really caught my attention was the ability to have an adjustable alcohol stove. It was one of the reasons I tended overlook the alcohol stove. Didn't care for the dump the fuel in and let it burn on high until the fuel was consumed.

So searching around i found the Featherfire -- http://packafeather.com/stove.html

Of course its already been discussed on WB, but after I get my hammock set up purchased, this may be the alcohol stove to try out.

I took a feather fire on the AT with me, and although in THEORY and in the relative gentleness of your kitchen, it's a GREAT stove, in PRACTICE it didn't work out that way. Those feet, they won't stay put in the stow-away position, and while cooking, I've experienced a weird "creep" syndrome in which one leg would start extending from the bottom, causing the entire stove to tip sideways. Also, I used a pot with the heat exchanger on the bottom which would invariably snag the pot stand when you tried to take it off, causing fuel spills. Then, as the daily grind of usage took it's toll, the air-flow regulator started not to work very well. I rarely had any use for the simmer feature anyway. So I tossed it in a hiker box and bought me a simpler coke can style side jet stove which always worked perfectly.

zelph
08-05-2013, 14:06
Winger it was Smokeater's Ring of Fire stove that got me to take an interest in alcohol stoves. I've been waffling between something like the Packafeather Featherfire or the Ring of Fire. I've even thought about whether it would be a good idea to couple them with the Vargo hexagon wood stove as a wind screen. A duel fuel stove setup.

Get the ring of fire. Support your local cottage industries.;)

I also agree with Pendragon in his findings.

XTrekker
08-09-2013, 21:22
Maybe I am late to the game on this, but I thought this was a pretty cool stove. I wouldnt mind having one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BTzZFcIr3Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Pretty cool...Agreed that it has a high fiddle factor..