PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Partner for Hut-To-Hut Franconia to Crawford Notch, NH June or July, 2014

mikec
08-02-2013, 11:16
I'm an out of shape section hiker who only has about 325 miles left to do on the AT. I would like to do from Franconia Notch, NH to Crawford Notch, NH, a distance of 27.7 miles during either June or July, 2014. Since this is not offered as an AMC hike I would like hike it with a partner. Here is my planned itinerary, subject to change:

Day 0: Arrive at Pinkham Notch, stay anywhere in the area
Day 1: Shuttle cars, then hike Bridle Trail to Greenleaf Hutl. (About 3.5 miles)
Day 2: Greenleaf Hut to Galehead Hut via AT. (6.7 miles)
Day 3: Galehead Hut to Zealand Hut via AT. (7.0 miles)
Day 4: Zealand Hut to Highland Lodge via the Zealand Trail, and there may be another(About 5.0 miles)
Day 5: Head home.

If anyone is interested in this hike, please let me know.

Mike C

Tom Murphy
08-02-2013, 12:46
Day 0: Arrive at Pinkham Notch, stay anywhere in the area [the Joe Dodge bunkhouse at Pinkham Notch ?]
Day 1: Shuttle cars, then hike Bridle Trail to Greenleaf Hutl. (About 3.5 miles)
Day 2: Greenleaf Hut to Galehead Hut via AT. (6.7 miles)
Day 3: Galehead Hut to Zealand Hut via AT. (7.0 miles)
Day 4: Zealand Hut to Highland Lodge via the Zealand Trail, and there may be another [the A-Z Trail] (About 5.0 miles)
Day 5: Head home.

Keep me in mind next spring when this gets closer. This is definately my speed. Might also have my 19 yr old son and/or my 13 yr old old nephew with me as well.

mikec
08-02-2013, 14:26
Tom- Sounds good.

kizzybean
08-06-2013, 15:39
Just to offer some info on this section as I just came off it 2 days ago. I was slightly different as I stayed on the A.T. the whole section. Rt 3 to Liberty Springs, Liberty Springs to Galehead, Galehead to Zealand Falls, Zealand Falls out.

You may consider parking your car at the A.T. crossing on Rt 302 in Crawford Notch and hike the A.T. out from Zealand Falls Hut. It is a little over 7 miles and a nice hike. I am a slow hiker and was at my car by 1:30 pm allowing plenty of time to drive back for the car parked at the start.

As you describe yourself as an "out-of-shape" hiker be aware the AT from Mt Layfayette Summit to Galehead Hut is 6.7 miles it is a very tough section. It is a rocky decent off Mt Garfield (steeper than the AT map indicates) and then a moderate 1/2 mile climb up to Galehead hut, this being at the end of your day. I was caught off guard that it was almost continually steep down hill till the climb up to Galehead hut so you may want to plan for a little more time than you think for this section. Everyone at Galehead hut that night commented on the difficulty of the trail (non-thru hikers). (This is just in my humble opinion as a weekend warrior section hiker) You can certainly do this with no problem, just prepare yourself to take a little more time than you may think. Galehead Hut was my favorite of all the huts I've stayed in.

The hike from Galehead to Zealand was great, seemed like a walk in the park after the previous day, arriving mid afternoon to enjoy soaking tired feet at Zealand Falls. Be sure to take the "scenic outlook" side trail after you pass Zealand Summit side trail, it's worth the few minutes extra hike. Zealand Falls hut is one of the busiest huts so book early. They were full the night we were there and people had booked several months ahead.

Enjoy your hike, there are fabulous views all along this section.

mikec
08-06-2013, 15:49
Thanks, kizzybean. I'll consider it. How was the up from Liberty Springs to the intersection of the side trail to Greenleaf Hut?

Slo-go'en
08-06-2013, 17:08
Keep in mind that there will be lots of other people hiking the same route hut to hut, so there will be no lack of company. You might be able to sit on a rock and enjoy the view in solitare for a few minutes once in a while. July typically has better weather then June around here. Tourist season doesn't pick up until after July 4th. Before the 4th you really take your chances with the weather and the bugs.

Since you will be ending at the Highland center which is in Crawford notch, no need to drive all the way up to Pinkham, which is a long way from where you want to be. It's well over an hour drive from Franconia Notch to Pinkham. Either stay at the Highland center or one of the motels in Twin Mountain, which is a short drive from Crawford. Unless you want to go all out, then stay at the Mt Washington hotel.

Check out the AMC shuttle. It tends to run a bit late in the day, but it might be possible to leave your car at Franconia Notch and then take the shuttle from the Highland center back there to get your car . Or visa-versa depending on how early you can get to Franconia via the shuttle.

kizzybean
08-07-2013, 12:13
Mikec - The trail from Liberty Springs to the side trail over to Greenleaf hut was nice. Most of it was open ridge with great views. Not difficult in my opinion. It could be nasty in bad weather as there is no protection.

As for shuttling, I met my hiking partner at the AT crossing on Rt 302 where there is parking. We left one car there and drove around to the Basin on Rt 93 where we left the second car. From the Basin parking area we walked the 1/2 mile down the bike path to meet up with the AT to hike up the approx 3 miles to Liberty Springs. (I had asked and told we were ok to leave a car there for a few days). It only took us about 45 mins from parking on Rt 302 over to Franconia Notch. There are options with the AMC hiker shuttle but it has a schedule. If you can get a hiking partner with another car you will have more options for your hike.

You'll have a great hike.