PDA

View Full Version : Water?

thewalkingstick
08-02-2013, 13:44
I'm starting my thru hike soon [tomorrow....lol] and I'm chopping up my Long Trail Guide so that it weighs less. I want to cut out the pages of trail description and jsut keep the pages that show distances between each landmark. The problem is, the trail description pages show where all the water sources enough. I could try to copy all the water sources down onto a sheet of paper but that would take a very long time. So my question is whether or not I need to know all or even most of the water sources. Is there enough water to just get some where I can find it? The main problem with doing that is that I might have to carry water when I don't have to. Is there a website/forum thread where I can find a list of water sources? Thanks.

thewalkingstick
08-02-2013, 13:47
"The problem is, the trail description pages show where all the water sources enough."

*Meant to say "the trail description pages show where all the water sources are."

Deadeye
08-02-2013, 16:20
I don't know if there's a list of sources, but it's rarely a problem in VT. You're more likely to have more water than you want. Most shelters have reliable water supplies, and this has been a wet year. There are only a few exception that come to mind: Lincoln Mountain can be dry (Theron Dean shelter is unreliable) and you may find no water between Laura Woodward and Journey's End (Shooting Star is notoriously unreliable) so camel up before those sections. Puffer and Roundtop are also less than fully reliable. Other than that, you will rarely go more than an hour or two between water sources.