PDA

View Full Version : Water availability in PA/NJ

cathyfass
08-03-2013, 00:20
Hi everybody,

This is my first post here as I prepare for a ~75mi hike from rte 309 in Pennsylvania to the Mohican Outdoor Center in NJ. The one thing I've read in the ATC guidebooks and online is that the water is scarce, especially in the summer months. Does anybody know whether the springs at the tail end of PA/beginning of NJ (going Northbound) are dried up? I'm planning on bringing my 3L water bladder plus two smaller bottles, but am still a little concerned.

Thank you!
CMF

fiddlehead
08-03-2013, 01:30
The trail in PA is mostly long ridges that are the highest mountains around.
So, although there are springs near the top, they often go dry in July and August.
I'm not there now, but I believe they've had a good bit of rain lately, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you get to a water source listed in the data book and it is dry, you will need to follow the dry stream down the mountain.
Eventually, you will find water in this gully.
On really dry years, in August, you might have to go way down.
But after a rain, there will be no problem.

When you do find water, I suggest you drink your fill so you don't have to carry so much.
One of the driest sections I remember from one of my hikes was going NOBO out of Lehigh gap.
That is one place you won't find water on the way up, or on top.
So, carry a bit more at that point.
That will most likely be on your 2nd day so, you won't have it dialed in yet as to how much you need.
I took 2 litres, you might want to take more as it can get hot up there (not much shade). (depending on your hiking style/speed and how you handle heat)

Someone else can chime in on the mileage as I don't have my data book with me and not sure off hand where the next water is from that point.

Good luck and have fun.

cathyfass
08-03-2013, 12:07
Thank you for the info! Going NB past Lehigh Gap is exactly where I'm talking about. I think it's 20-25mi without water from the bottom to the next guaranteed source. I'm definitely going to fill up before the big climb/plateau and conserve where I can.