PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah section hike question

twilight
08-03-2013, 07:35
Looking to do a section hike in SNP next month. Going from South River Picnic Area to Waynesboro. Do I need to make shelter reservations before hand or can I do that at the park entrance when I arrive at the park?

Twilight

Onedawg
08-03-2013, 07:46
No reservation needed in SNP. You just need to fill out a back country permit with your itinerary. You can do that at the park entrance.

tf bear
08-03-2013, 09:38
The permit will have a spot for your itinerary. I just filled it out with unknown. Didn't have an issue. Have a great hike!

DandT40
08-03-2013, 10:16
Are there any shelter regulations like in GSMNP? Like do you have to sleep in the shelters or can you tent near the shelters even if its not full? Can you tent anywhere or do you have to stay at specific locations?

chiefiepoo
08-03-2013, 10:28
2010 in SNP, I had a permit as required then. Even though I had specified a shelter for each night I was permitted for camping trail side in area defined as "between point A and point B" for each night I was in the park. Except for No camping and closed for renovation areas I believe you're good to camp following the setbacks for roads and streams.

Coffee
08-03-2013, 10:35
There are very few restrictions on backcountry camping in SNP, all noted on the permit. The main thing is to stay away from roads and developed areas when camping. And no fires. Fwiw, I have never had my permit checked this year on several trips or even seen any rangers patrolling the trails. The lack of bureaucracy and freedom to camp in most places makes hiking SNP very convenient.

fredmugs
08-03-2013, 11:29
I kept my permit wired to the outside of my pack. The only ranger I saw noticed it and didn't bother to look at it. I hammocked thru SNP and the shelters were over flowing when I rolled in and there were several people hammocking as well. If you're going after Labor Day it probably will not be that crowded.

johnnybgood
08-03-2013, 11:45
In the many years I've backpacked SNP only once have I ever needed to show my permit.

As far as the itinerary goes , use your best guess where you might be and don't worry about it.

bigcranky
08-03-2013, 19:24
No reservations needed. Plenty of tent sites at the shelters. Or sleep in the shelter, either one is fine. Get your permit at the entrance station when you enter the park. Note that your driver will need to pay the entrance fee (which I think is still $20) to drive you into the park. If you walk in, it's free. Or at least that was the case when I hiked it last year.

flemdawg1
08-05-2013, 12:19
Note that your driver will need to pay the entrance fee (which I think is still $20) to drive you into the park. If you walk in, it's free. Or at least that was the case when I hiked it last year.

$15 mar-Nov vehicle fee
http://www.nps.gov/shen/parkmgmt/upload/fees.pdf

flemdawg1
08-05-2013, 12:23
Looking to do a section hike in SNP next month. Going from South River Picnic Area to Waynesboro. Do I need to make shelter reservations before hand or can I do that at the park entrance when I arrive at the park?

Twilight

Just came back from there 2 weeks ago. No reservations req'd. Just fill out a backcountry permit at the entrance, or any ranger station.