PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie!

KelBel
08-03-2013, 11:02
I have 3 young children and I have such a strong desire to hike the AT. It's obvious that I would have to section hike it, until they are off on their own. I'm starting to research and plan my section hike starting next season. We live close to SNP. We used to backpack and camp off the AT for long weekends at a time, but we are a bit rusty. We still hike a lot and are in good condition. Are there any books that include maps and everything we need that you guys can recommend? And can anyone recommend a good route to get started? Maybe from SNP to Harpers Ferry. Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know and learn from you all!!

Coffee
08-03-2013, 11:12
The PATC books and maps are good. I have been using the SNP book this year with the National Geographic SNP map. I wish I purchased the 3 PATC maps instead since they are more detailed and go with the book.

http://www.patc.net/PublicView/Shop_at_the_PATC_Store/BrowseCategories/Core/Orders/category.aspx?catid=7

slbirdnerd
08-03-2013, 11:22
Hands down, The At Guide by David Miller, this website, and the state trail map for whatever section you're doing. Also, read lots of books by hikers: AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, Becoming Odyssa, A Walk in the Woods (Bryson), Three Hundred Zeroes, Just Passin' Thru, etc... you can learn so much from other's experiences. I started section hiking this year, NOBO from Springer. Happy hiking!

fredmugs
08-03-2013, 11:25
If you like hiking alone I highly recommend doing your sections southbound. Since most people go NOBO it's easier to find people to shuttle with if you're heading in opposite directions. For the same reason you will encounter more people on the trail each day and you can hit them up for trail intel like water sources, etc. If you sleep at or near shelters there's usually others in the area that you can spend time with in the evenings if you choose to do so. SNP to Harpers Ferry would be an excellent first hike. I bought map sets from the ATC as I needed them. I also recommend the ALDHA Thru Hikers companion. After my first section hike I was hooked!

HikerMom58
08-03-2013, 11:26
Hey KelBel.........nice to meet you!! :)

Sly
08-03-2013, 11:48
KelBel, since you live close you may want to consider attending the ALDHA Gathering, Shippensburg University (PA), Oct. 11-13. (you don't need to be a member of ALDHA to attend) It will have around 50 workshops and presentations on various aspects of backpacking, thru-hiking, section-hiking, etc. along with information and slideshows on various trails. The entire weekend only cost $20 per person and includes camping and a newcomer reception. (you provide your own meals, or buy them locally or in the cafeteria).

For more info keep checking...

http://www.aldha.org/gathering.html

Maddog
08-03-2013, 13:19
Hands down, The At Guide by David Miller, this website, and the state trail map for whatever section you're doing. Also, read lots of books by hikers: AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, Becoming Odyssa, A Walk in the Woods (Bryson), Three Hundred Zeroes, Just Passin' Thru, etc... you can learn so much from other's experiences. I started section hiking this year, NOBO from Springer. Happy hiking!

+1...all great sources of info! Maddog:D

KelBel
08-03-2013, 13:31
Thank you so much everyone! That workshop looks great, but I'm doing the 3 day walk in DC that weekend, I wonder if there will be another workshop like that in the area?

Firefighter503
08-05-2013, 13:05
Welcome to WB/backpacking. That section between SNP and HF is great, and one that sees a fair amount of traffic from local section hikers, so would be a great place to start/meet other hikers to talk trail/gear, etc. I'll second the AT Guide by AWOL, it is the most complete guide I have seen with elevation maps (granted they are not extremely detailed) built into the pages, etc. Check out the local REI's to see if there are any backpacking classes coming up also. Probably won't be as in depth as the ADLDA gathering, but might be some good info nonetheless.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 13:21
Congratulations on being a WB Newbie! Tons of great info here and loads of great folks. I'm fairly new myself and have only done a few short sections, but I can recommend MD and southern PA for kids, or north out of Harper's Ferry for really young ones...aka the C&O canal, but that's a very short hike.
Anyway, you'll certainly learn from the experts here!

KelBel
08-05-2013, 14:15
Awesome! I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for other classes/workshops and Im going to pick up AWOL's AT guide to start planning. I am so excited about getting back into it and meeting some new friends along the way who understand me and don't think I'm absolutely crazy for wanting to section hike the AT

FarmerChef
08-05-2013, 15:01
Awesome! I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for other classes/workshops and Im going to pick up AWOL's AT guide to start planning. I am so excited about getting back into it and meeting some new friends along the way who understand me and don't think I'm absolutely crazy for wanting to section hike the AT

I'll second what everyone else has said here KelBel. One question: will you be hiking solo or taking your kids with you?

And, of course, :welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 15:03

WELL OF COURSE YOU'RE CRAZY FOR WANTING TO HIKE THE AT !!!!! But no one here will ever hold it against you.

KelBel
08-05-2013, 16:18
I will be hiking without kids for sure! And yes good point, i guess I am crazy, but its nice to be accepted!

Ezra
08-05-2013, 16:51
Hi KelBel! I think Shenandoah is a perfect place to fine tune your hiking style. Get yourself a set of maps and enjoy your journeys.

rocketsocks
08-05-2013, 18:13
The planning is half the fun...:welcometo white blaze...tons of great info here!