PDA

View Full Version : Helping SAR find you.

JustaTouron
08-03-2013, 15:05
While there are bits and pieces of this scattered in the Geraldine Largay thread. I thought it might be a good idea to have thread dedicated to what we as hikers can do as individuals to help ourselves.

1) Hike with a partner/group.
2) Sign all trail registrars including date and appx time.
3) Have the folks back home know what your trail name is.
4) If you have changed your appearance make sure the folks back home know. (e.g. grew beard, dyed your hair, got a hair cut) Better yet send them a recent picture.
5) If there is anything that would distinguish you from other hikers, make sure folks back home know. (e.g. wears one yellow sock and one pink sock every day or a guy who hikes with a pink backpack)
6) Carry a locator beam. (e.g. Spot)
7) If you carry a cell phone, make sure you have you contract numbers written down or memorized not just stored in the phone, in case your phone dies and you can use a different phone.
8) Let others know where you are going.

Feel free to add/comment.

Sly
08-03-2013, 15:09
It would probably be months before anyone realize I was missing, which, for better or worse, is fine by me.

HikerMom58
08-03-2013, 16:15
While there are bits and pieces of this scattered in the Geraldine Largay thread. I thought it might be a good idea to have thread dedicated to what we as hikers can do as individuals to help ourselves.

4) If you have changed your appearance make sure the folks back home know. (e.g. grew beard, dyed your hair, got a hair cut) Better yet send them a recent picture.
5) If there is anything that would distinguish you from other hikers, make sure folks back home know. (e.g. wears one yellow sock and one pink sock every day or a guy who hikes with a pink backpack)
7) If you carry a cell phone, make sure you have you contract numbers written down or memorized not just stored in the phone, in case your phone dies and you can use a different phone.

Feel free to add/comment.

Looks like a great list! I like #1 the best!!

Did I tell ya how much I like ur sig. too???.... Love people and use things; never the reverse... LOVE IT!

Rasty
08-03-2013, 16:17
I follow #8. It's a personal choice to ignore the other suggestions.

Hill Ape
08-03-2013, 16:53
~i am out there for a certain degree of solitude. i don't hike with people, but i realize that at least on the AT, interaction with others is inevitable. thru hiking with the bubble, solo doesn't even exist. sectioning, it's a whole different ballgame.
~no, i won't. those things are crawling in germs, every hiker trash that didn't wipe their rear at the privy five minutes ago is now flipping pages and chewing on the pen. not for all the purell in the world. i'm convinced the creepy crawlies we can't see, are one of the biggest risks out there.
~i'm not big on sharing any name on trail
~i'm onboard with that in general
~if i'm going to carry a pink backpack, i'd never admit it to a living soul. but i get where you're coming from. i have an orange pack cover that i usually keep on.
~not yet, but the technology is getting there. biggest flaw i see in them right now, other than the subscription, is if you're injured and can't push the button
~good advice. i have an emergency contact/information card. but i don't use a cell phone, ever, for personal reasons that i should get counseling for.
~THIS! even on long trips, my father always has a general idea of where i'm at. it at least narrows the possible search area.

hikerboy57
08-03-2013, 16:58
i hike alone, i do sign trail rregisters and date them with my trail name, thats it. i do let others know where im hiking, but i do have a tendency to change plans mid stream. i carry my id with me at all times with contact infoormation, never rely on the phone.
the only item i would consider is possibly carrying a spot

MuddyWaters
08-03-2013, 19:13
There is an old saying about an ounce of prevention....

#1 rule. Stay on the trail. Someone will come along soon. The ATC even has this on thier site.

If you suffer a debilitating accident (unconscious), not a cellphone, not a PLB, not a SPOT , is going to do a darn thing for you. Need for these devices is predicated on peoples innate fears.

If you are not unconscious, you should not be far enough from the trail to attract help.

Shutterbug
08-03-2013, 19:45
If you suffer a debilitating accident (unconscious), not a cellphone, not a PLB, not a SPOT , is going to do a darn thing for you. Need for these devices is predicated on peoples innate fears.

Simply not true for the Spot or the InReach. If you have it in track mode, it leaves a track to your location even if you are unable to activate the SOS function. Even if the unit is damaged in your fall, the last track would have been less than 10 minutes before.

MuddyWaters
08-03-2013, 19:53
Simply not true for the Spot or the InReach. If you have it in track mode, it leaves a track to your location even if you are unable to activate the SOS function. Even if the unit is damaged in your fall, the last track would have been less than 10 minutes before.

The SOS doesnt self activate.

No one is going to jump to rescue you because you have been in one spot until you have been there a couple of days most likely.

I didnt say it wouldnt help them find your body.

There is also always the very real chance you dropped your spot or left it behind as well.

No one is going to come rescue you without an indication there is something seriously wrong. You have to be overdue, or send the SOS. Your family could go to the authorities and say "his spot hasnt moved" and they would laugh at you, until some corroborating evidence that you are overdue is presented.

To think so is the same as expecting a rescue because someone cannot reach you on your cell phone.

Your BEST chances if you are disabled lie with someone else KNOWING a definite time when you are supposed to be in a certain place.

peakbagger
08-03-2013, 20:14
I most likely will be purchasing a PLB for off trail use. They are built very robustly, I really dont want or need tracking capability.

There has been debate over the years. For a time "leave no trace ethics" advocated using natural colors for gear to blend in with the environment. In the winter I do the contrary and go for high contrast colors but most packs tend to be natural colors that would blend in. During hunting season I have at least one piece of blaze orange and ATC used to sell a pack cover that was orange on one side.

The statistics in the maine woods is pretty straight forward, if someone is lost but not seriously injured and have basic survival gear (which most hikers carry). if they stay put they will be found in generally one day. Usually where rescues get extended is when its very young person or and older person with mental impairment or folks who are seriously injured.

JustaTouron
08-03-2013, 20:34
There is an old saying about an ounce of prevention....

#1 rule. Stay on the trail.

That is good advice, it should be on the list.

If you are not unconscious, you should not be far enough from the trail to attract help.

That's probably true if you are hiking the AT NOBO with a March/April start date. May not be true at different times or different trails.

I can easily see a situation such as someone twisting their ankle 10 miles from the nearest road crossing and a spot or cell phone saving their life. And more injuries are immobilizing then ones that render you unconscious.

Also if you have a SPOT in tracking mode, it sends out a signal periodically. When folks back home realize the location hasn't changed (and it is daytime) they are going to realize that you are in trouble and know exactly where you are. Also if you are someone who sends out a daily "I am ok" when they don't get that will get concerned and know you last known location focusing the search area.

After reading your response I just remember something else that should be on the list.

Carry a whistle on your person (not in your pack, around your neck) at all times.

BTW my list wasn't meant to suggest one need do every single one of them. If you are hiking solo you need to be more conscious of the other items than if you are in a group.

snifur
08-03-2013, 21:08
Use common sense and plan accordingly. If you can not do that you deserve to be screwed by your own undoing. Have a great day.

Bati
08-03-2013, 21:13
When hiking solo and when I'm hiking in a group and we're able to do so, I try to keep an ongoing "sign-out" with an experienced hiker who knows what gear I have. I simply contact the person and leave a message concerning my whereabouts every time I hit a town or more often if there is cell phone coverage. This helped when I encountered bad weather and took extra time to get to the Neels Gap where I was able to get a ride to a phone. Had I not been able to get a ride to payphone, I would have left this person's number at Neels Gap in the hopes that they could eventually find someone who could call and ensure that no rescue started. Because the person who was not on the trail knew what kind of gear I had, he didn't worry too much and had picked a date a couple of days later on when he would start reporting me and my partner as missing. This may sound counter-intuitive, but too many cries of wolf can also create problems. In this case, the bad weather was known factor and no help could have arrived within 24 to 48 hours anyway, so any reporting would have been senseless. As for staying on the trail, I could only find sections of it, but did make an effort to follow a straight line down Blood Mountain in a direction where I'd know which way to turn if I hit the road without finding the trail.

Bad weather and accidents happen, but your ability to take care of yourself when they do is extremely important. You might add that to the list (basic first aid knowledge, having a map and knowing how to use it, taking extra food, taking enough clothes, and not panicking).

In my case, we were able to wave off the helicopters when they came searching for stranded or hurt hikers several days after the storm. Having the gear and maps made it a memorable hike instead of SAR event.

HikerMom58
08-03-2013, 21:16
That is good advice, it should be on the list.

That's probably true if you are hiking the AT NOBO with a March/April start date. May not be true at different times or different trails.

I can easily see a situation such as someone twisting their ankle 10 miles from the nearest road crossing and a spot or cell phone saving their life. And more injuries are immobilizing then ones that render you unconscious.

Also if you have a SPOT in tracking mode, it sends out a signal periodically. When folks back home realize the location hasn't changed (and it is daytime) they are going to realize that you are in trouble and know exactly where you are. Also if you are someone who sends out a daily "I am ok" when they don't get that will get concerned and know you last known location focusing the search area.

After reading your response I just remember something else that should be on the list.

Carry a whistle on your person (not in your pack, around your neck) at all times.

BTW my list wasn't meant to suggest one need do every single one of them. If you are hiking solo you need to be more conscious of the other items than if you are in a group.

A whistle is another good one. Can't believe I forgot that one... my daughter carried one when she was hiking by herself. She carried it for her Mama!

RF_ace
08-03-2013, 21:38
and properly register your EPIRB and keep it current was to what areas you will likely be in

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2013, 21:55
Something people seem to have forgotten: Carry a map and know to read it. Always. It will be there when your various electronic devices are lost, broken, non-functional. It will help tell you where you are, where you are in relation to objects and landmarks you might see along the way or in the near distance, and will help you navigate and figure out where you want to go. Also, if you are in contact with folks via phone or radio, it'll help you tell them where you are; in many cases, people who are lost have absolutely no idea where they are, where the rescuers should look for them, etc. It is astounding how many times I've seen people "advised" by veteran hikers here on WB and elsewhere that one doesn't need a map while on the A.T. This is shockingly bad counsel. Maps save lives, period.

Mags
08-03-2013, 22:21
re: hiking solo

I've done the majority of my backpacking solo.

Guess I'm screwed. :)

re: Phone numbers written down

That's a VERY GOOD idea. I am ashamed to admit that while I know my childhood phone number, I do not know my friends, my parents or my wife's without looking at my phone. I'm going to write that info down pronto. Seriously.

re: Stay on the trail

If you can read a map and use a compass, off-trail hiking is perfectly acceptable. I do it all the time. Most of the good stuff is off-trail in the West..at least IMO. :)

illabelle
08-04-2013, 06:44
It is astounding how many times I've seen people "advised" by veteran hikers here on WB and elsewhere that one doesn't need a map while on the A.T. This is shockingly bad counsel. Maps save lives, period.

Very good point.
I think I understand some of what's happening with the bad advice. Most often it's a new hiker that is inquiring whether they need maps to follow the trail. The "bad counsel" is intended to calm their fears about getting lost. When I started hiking in the backcountry, I needed a map to feel comfortable about knowing where I was.

Later with more experience, I was packing for a longish trip and considered cutting weight by leaving the three maps for our section at home. After all, there are white blazes all along the trail, right? Came to WB and did a little reading up, and realized that while maps are not needed most of the time, when they're needed, they are needed! While I no longer need them as a psychological crutch, they are an essential part of an emergency kit.

Old Hillwalker
08-04-2013, 07:03
It would probably be months before anyone realize I was missing, which, for better or worse, is fine by me.
I agree with Sly. At my age, and coupled with the fact that I almost always hike solo, even overseas, I have considered carrying a filled out toe tag and body bag for the convenience of the searchers. Howdy Sly.

Bronk
08-04-2013, 08:57
If you are able to walk, follow water. Eventually it will lead to civilization. I walked off trail to look at an interesting rock formation once and got turned around and couldn't find the trail again. But I found a spring and followed it. It eventually merged with several other springs and grew into a creek with a really cool cascading waterfall down the side of the mountain. Eventually it brought me down to a big lake and a road that led me back to my car. If you follow water you're eventually going to find SOMETHING.

Jack Tarlin
08-04-2013, 10:38
While Bronk is usually right about water, I've seen downhill water sources that either petered out, disappeared underground, ended up in a swamp, etc. So following water will NOT always lead you to civilization, sometimes it will lead you to the middle of nowhere. Yet another reason to always carry a map.

MuddyWaters
08-04-2013, 17:31
While Bronk is usually right about water, I've seen downhill water sources that either petered out, disappeared underground, ended up in a swamp, etc. So following water will NOT always lead you to civilization, sometimes it will lead you to the middle of nowhere. Yet another reason to always carry a map.

Not common, but I grew up near a decent river, that just abruptly ended and went underground. It happens.

Hill Ape
08-04-2013, 17:45
is there really a compelling reason not to carry a map!?!

MuddyWaters
08-04-2013, 17:52
maps can be quite heavy when made on waterproof paper and are 24" x 36", several ounces.

most could probably run one on an app in a smartphone for no weight. BEtter than nothing.

Hill Ape
08-04-2013, 18:04
i think advising people to forego taking basic survival equipment just to shave a few grams borders on criminally negligent and raises all kinds of liability issues, at the very least there are moral implications

but, last time i said something to this effect i was called paranoid, i'll never understand, come back down to earth

i'd rather question the wisdom now, than regret the later

tiptoe
08-04-2013, 18:14
I'm a solo hiker, for the most part, but I generally greet everyone I meet and have at least a brief conversation, sometimes exchanging trail names. Mostly it's to be a little social, but it also serves the purpose of making myself known to others, just in case. On my last section hike, I carried a cell phone and texted a family member, when possible, about where I planned to spend the night. I always carry a map and compass, leave an itinerary at home, sign registers, and keep a separate list of phone contacts, logins/passwords, etc., in a small notebook.

Cyngbaeld
08-04-2013, 18:40
In my waterproof neck pouch I have: a flat safety whistle, a signalling mirror, contact info, a few dollars, cell phone, waterproof matches, pocket knife, debit card, driver's license, emergency blanket. It doesn't weigh much at all. I also carry energy bars in my pockets in zip locks. If I get separated from my pack somehow I have bare essentials to survive and attract attention. If I managed to get lost, but was able to get to civilization on my own, I would have access to funds to get home again too.

Jack Tarlin
08-04-2013, 21:12
"Maps can be quite heavy." No, we're talking about a matter of ounces. And the suggestion to replace this with the appropriate "app" is a bad idea. Instead of saying "Apply this app, it's better than nothing", why not instead say "Spend a few dollars, carry a map, it's much better than nothing." The amount of bad advice here and elsewhere on the Internet is positively astounding. Than someone can complain about a lifesaving device that weighs a few ounces and call this "quite heavy" is astonishing. I have been on countless searches/rescues for missing/hurt/confused people on or near the Appalachian Trail in the last seventeen years. I do not regret my participation at all. But it certainly would have helped if any of the missing parties carried maps. As of this date, none of them did.

Kerosene
08-04-2013, 22:46
Has anyone responding to this thread ever tested how far your whistle blast will carry in the woods if there is any breeze at all? Not very far. The high pitch gets lost in all of the other noises. You'd be better off banging a rock against your cook pot, or even another rock if it made a distinctive and non-repetitive sound. Whistles are over-rated IMO.

Just Bill
08-04-2013, 22:50
Find your own way out or die- Trying to have my name as the last to respond on ten threads- this post is not helpful- but true.

Cyngbaeld
08-05-2013, 21:45
A whistle is much louder than my very soft voice. It is flat so takes up hardly any space, is too light to even mention. Kept in my neck pouch it isn't even noticeable. It may not carry far, but if I fell when away from the trail a few feet, I could certainly attract attn with it. I can blow the whistle a lot longer than I can yell and if there is little traffic on the trail it might be a while before someone approaches closely enough to hear. I might not be able to reach my pack to get hold of anything else. It would certainly be wiser to have it than not.

rocketsocks
08-05-2013, 21:59
Yeah I don't get the weight penalty that some just can't be botherd with.

Take those few items, compass, maps, whistle, ect ect set em aside
now put your pack on with everything you'll bring.
then take those items you set aside...reach over your head, and drop em on the top of your pack...

Now...did they really add that much weight? Can you even feel the difference?

The benefits of having these items/10 essentials far outweighs any weight penalty in my book, an many well written books of our activity as well.

Patrickjd9
08-05-2013, 22:23
I'm rather obsessive about staying on the trail when I solo hike (generally for the day), and leave pretty specific written plans with my wife.

hikerboy57
08-05-2013, 22:40
i used to leave my itinerary with my mom until a few years ago,i was just doing a 3 day up in harriman. usual procedure, gave her the #s to call if she didnt hear from me by a certain day. i forgot to call when i got off the trail, didnt remember until the following week. fortunately, or not, she also forgot , and thankfully never called the authorities.when i spoke to her the following week, i said"you dont worry about me too much do you? and she didnt know what i was talking about. when i told her of her negligience, she said she knew i was okay, a mother just knows. needless to say , i have changed my strategy. this spring, i would call her from time to time telling her i didnt want her to worry. she'd say"i wasnt worried/" and i said;thanks a lot!!"
one of the issues ive had with this strategy is that if i tell her im starting august 1st coming off trail say august 10th and to expect a call from me no later than the 13th, if i get hurt on august 2nd, she aint calling nobody for 11 more days.
part of the reason im now considering carrying a spot, particularly if im hiking in the backcountry.

MuddyWaters
08-05-2013, 23:20
"Maps can be quite heavy." No, we're talking about a matter of ounces. And the suggestion to replace this with the appropriate "app" is a bad idea. Instead of saying "Apply this app, it's better than nothing", why not instead say "Spend a few dollars, carry a map, it's much better than nothing." The amount of bad advice here and elsewhere on the Internet is positively astounding. Than someone can complain about a lifesaving device that weighs a few ounces and call this "quite heavy" is astonishing. I have been on countless searches/rescues for missing/hurt/confused people on or near the Appalachian Trail in the last seventeen years. I do not regret my participation at all. But it certainly would have helped if any of the missing parties carried maps. As of this date, none of them did.

I did not say "dont carry a map, use an app instead"

I said an app might be better than nothing.

That is not the same thing as an endorsement.

I encourage everyone to have multiple levels of protection in place to avoid getting lost. What those are, are up to them.

Electronic devices are acceptable as one layer of protection, provided the user is proficient with it.

Jack Tarlin
08-05-2013, 23:36
Muddy: No need to beat this one to death, and no, you never said "Don't carry a map!" but you did indeed tell us that "Maps can be quite heavy", and that one could "run one on an app" for "no weight." All I'm doing is quoting you. This is not the first time, nor will it be the last, that someone disparages maps and map-carrying here on Whiteblaze. There are two reasons and two reasons only that people don't carry actual hard-copy Trail maps. One is to save few wretched dollars. The other is to save a few ounces. These are both really poor excuses.

shakey_snake
08-06-2013, 00:36
9. Sharpen the blade on your Leatherman

Hill Ape
08-06-2013, 00:50
9. Sharpen the blade on your Leatherman

in case you have to saw off your own arm, wouldn't want to have a dull knife for the job. gotta hand it to that dude, thats a strong will to survive

Sly
08-06-2013, 01:05

One smartphone: 7.4 ounces. Seven maps for the entire state of Maine: 4.8 ounces.

P.S. price of phone $149 w/2 year commitment, or $599 retail, plus $75 per month. Maps for the entire trail $225

Lone Wolf
08-06-2013, 03:40
i'm old school. it's pretty dumb and irresponsible to walk the trail without a map. app this!

QuabbinHiker
08-06-2013, 03:42
Carry maps. Physical maps that won't run out of power. ;)

Mags
08-06-2013, 10:08
One smartphone: 7.4 ounces. Seven maps for the entire state of Maine: 4.8 ounces.

P.S. price of phone $149 w/2 year commitment, or $599 retail, plus $75 per month. Maps for the entire trail $225
While maps on a phone can be useful, they are more clunky than a paper map for wider overviews and planning IMO.

Plus, electronics can fail. I can only imagine using a smart device in a rain storm. :O

Sly
08-06-2013, 10:45
While maps on a phone can be useful, they are more clunky than a paper map for wider overviews and planning IMO.

Plus, electronics can fail. I can only imagine using a smart device in a rain storm. :O

Yup, and as I pointed out, when it comes to maps, smart phones don't save weight or money.

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 11:19
i used to leave my itinerary with my mom until a few years ago,i was just doing a 3 day up in harriman. usual procedure, gave her the #s to call if she didnt hear from me by a certain day. i forgot to call when i got off the trail, didnt remember until the following week. fortunately, or not, she also forgot , and thankfully never called the authorities.when i spoke to her the following week, i said"you dont worry about me too much do you? and she didnt know what i was talking about. when i told her of her negligience, she said she knew i was okay, a mother just knows. needless to say , i have changed my strategy. this spring, i would call her from time to time telling her i didnt want her to worry. she'd say"i wasnt worried/" and i said;thanks a lot!!"
one of the issues ive had with this strategy is that if i tell her im starting august 1st coming off trail say august 10th and to expect a call from me no later than the 13th, if i get hurt on august 2nd, she aint calling nobody for 11 more days.
part of the reason im now considering carrying a spot, particularly if im hiking in the backcountry.
th other reason im considering carrying a spot is i have a tendency to be impulsive and change routes. another reminder that if you're hiking the at stay on the trail. a few years ago i was hiking the mahoosucs sobo. at gentian pond there is a trail that leads straight down off the ridge to a blueblaze leading to dryad falls. i took the trail down, but started to lose the trail, couldnt find the next blaze, did a sweep, but couldnt pick up where the trail continued without losing sight of the last blaze. i had map and compass, and knew exactly where i was at all times, but I knew that if i got hurt, noone would know where i was , my phone wasnt getting a signal, and i would be pretty much screwed, so i turned around and headed back up the trail i just had downclimbed.i thought next time to leave my new itinerary in the shelter register, but still....

Doctari
08-06-2013, 13:27
1: I hike solo 90% of the time. Mostly for the solitude, but also because everyone else hikes Way faster (or way slower) than I do.
2: I sign EVERY register within 1/4 mile of the trail. Usually "Doctari just passing thru" & the date & time.
3: Wife sometimes calls me Doctari at home, so that's covered.
4: Yea, got that covered too. Usually only grow a beard, got pictures of all stages of that.
5: I wear a kilt. Got PINK shoelaces. Have had people I had never met great me with "HI Doctari!"
6: Someday I will have a Spot. I like the tracker feature so even IF I get dead, they can find the body.
7: My Cell phone don't work on the AT 99% of the time. Got phone numbers written down in several places: Map when carried. Guide, about every 4th or so pages. Journal. A special LAMINATED phone page with numbers on both sides.
8: ALWAYS! I call my at home people EVERY time I hit town: "I plan on going to xyz shelter tomorrow, then ab3 the day after, should be in the town of Big Food by Friday, will call you then."

mrgadget921
08-07-2013, 03:25
rather be judged.... than carried! or worse possibly misleading some poor sob....that SAR has to recover, because of negligence.
Hill Ape please teach, remember that many of us newbs..are watching the gram counters/ul/sul/ in the hopes of. ... .... mountain {safe?} u/lighter!
10 essentials are MANDATORY! common sense is 1!

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 03:29
I know of people that make detailed itineraries, leave them with 2 trusted people - and then change them on the trail due to their arrogance, stupidity, and foolishness. These are the people that SAR needs to charge when they eventually run out of luck. If they live that is.

I have also noticed that devices such as SPOTs and PBR's tend to make hikers act even more impulsive on trail, thinking "Hey, if I get in trouble i'll just hit my PRB and SAR will come to save me! I don't need to be responsible anymore! SAR will be the responsible ones! "

It's quite sad actually.

Captn
08-07-2013, 08:40
I tried the APP only map on my IPHONE on my last section hike. My hiking buddy caries a map. Guess which one got used and which one didn't? I used the GPS function probably once a day, but the MAP was a hugely more useful tool. If your going to try it, hike with someone with a map first to try it out. Also .... How many batteries are you going to carry? The recharger and spare batteries were twice as heavy as the map itself.

I say .... Carry the map.

Doctari
08-07-2013, 20:33
I got to add, when I"m healthy, I'm a LOT louder* than the whistle I carry. Supposedly the "worlds loudest whistle" but it do take less effort to blow the whistle, so,,,,,

*Silenced 1500 "talking" (OK, screaming) teens in an open field. They didn't even look up to the whistle. I was about 100' form the nearest kid. Yea, I can be loud. :)