PDA

View Full Version : What's the best rain jacket for hiking the AT?

Falcon
08-03-2013, 22:34
I have a very light weight sierra designs rain jacket but I it's like being in a sauna when I wear it hiking. What's the best rain jacket for hiking the AT in rainy nasty weather?

BirdBrain
08-03-2013, 22:40
The Packa. Puffy sleeves. Huge pit zips. Light weight. No need for pack cover and rain jacket. 2100 mile guarantee. Love mine.

hikerboy57
08-03-2013, 22:41
my marmot mica was my mvg on my section hike this spring

Hill Ape
08-03-2013, 22:43
there really isn't one, thats the one piece of gear i've never been able to find something that satisfied me

Mags
08-03-2013, 22:46
Oy vey.. :)

There ain't no such thing as the "best" gear...

Here's just a few variables that may help a person find the best gear for YOU:

Is this person tough on gear or do they treat it gently?
Tend to hike cool or sweat a lot?
Like ponchos?
Want more breathability or more water proofness?
What time of the year is the person hiking the AT?
Prefer simplicity and lightweight or want extras like pit zips that add weight but perhaps more functionality?
Tend to hike more or spend more time in camp?
What is the budget?
Want one jacket for multiple environments or something more suited for the well marked , defined and maintained Appalachian Trail?

For my own hiking, I tend to use a GoLite Tumalo (http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-golite-tumalo) for an all around shell for its price, versatility decent breathability/water proofness ratio and durability for off-trail and/or non-hiking activities (climbing and backcountry skiing) For on-trail hiking in summer and early fall, the DriDucks wins out. But that's just me. Our theoretical AT backpacker above may have a different set of criteria than I do.

More info:

http://www.pmags.com/rain-gear-what-to-wear

Just Bill
08-03-2013, 23:30
I like a rain cape- homemade- sorry for not helping. It's the only thing that works though for me. Otherwise a Patagonia Houdini is my favorite piece for sporadic rain- but it will wet out in an hour or two as it is only a DWR jacket. The only dry rain gear is when it's cold enough to snow. An umbrella works well too (not a joke), especially when combined with a Houdini.

canoe
08-03-2013, 23:49
It depends. If its summer and 80' I dont use one. in cooler weather a packa or marmont are both good

shakey_snake
08-04-2013, 01:32
Frogg Toggs.

Sure, they're delicate. But the AT is hardly bushwacking (save brown blazing, lol). But if it your jacket ever becomes irreparable and fails you, just have your contact send you a new one in your next maildrop. You'd have to go through 10 of them to approach the cost of an expensize jacket.

gumball
08-04-2013, 06:35
I do love my Frogg Toggs.

cathyss2000
08-04-2013, 09:39
My husband loves his patagonia, don't know the specific kind. Daughter didn't like her REI one.

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2013, 10:54
Don't laugh...

http://www.awmok.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/rain-cape-550x608.jpg

Rasty
08-04-2013, 10:58
Don't laugh...

I would never laugh at something this ridiculous. http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQA8OcYuqIjcfAL1ToiMisgz1j5k5QDY e6DyB4FlrHrdgBIA_x2

Nutbrown
08-04-2013, 11:13
I like a cheap poncho.

daddytwosticks
08-04-2013, 15:00
Silnylon poncho in warmer weather (think quick summer showers) and something like Frogg Toggs/Driducks all other times. :)

trapper
08-04-2013, 21:00
i also give recomendation of the packa

Packeagle
08-05-2013, 08:23
Dry ducks and a rain kilt for now. I like it well enough, but not overly impressed. Its the best I've tried up to date.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

JustBob
08-06-2013, 20:57
6pm.com has Marmot Super Micas for $119.99, free shipping. Even less if you have a coupon code.

http://www.6pm.com/marmot-super-mica-jacket

Sunshine82
08-06-2013, 21:12
My Marmot precip worked great on my last section and it was defiantly put to the test.with the pit zips open I didn't even sweat that bad

Meriadoc
08-06-2013, 23:09
What Mags said.

Don't laugh...

How would you breathe?! It looks like it needs one of those warnings found on plastic bags.

Hill Ape
08-07-2013, 02:16
i'm in the poncho camp. i've always used a cheapo wally world one. but i'm thinking i'll pull the trigger soon on something better. of the three, which one would yall suggest
gatewood cape 11oz $135, packa 13oz $120, sea to summit poncho 12oz $90?
i'm not too concerned about tarp/shelter performance. just poncho in the rain, with pack coverage
all my other gear is pretty dialed in, its getting harder to scratch the new gear itch.

XTrekker
08-09-2013, 21:22
The Packa. Puffy sleeves. Huge pit zips. Light weight. No need for pack cover and rain jacket. 2100 mile guarantee. Love mine.

Been eyeballing one of those for along time..Might just pull the trigger..

Dogwood
08-10-2013, 13:14
There ain't no such thing as the "best" gear... Mags
Oh yeah there is! And, it's everything I have. :)

icdaywee
08-27-2013, 18:09
I plan on going with the Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber rain jacket with pit zips for my thru. I will have the opportunity to test it out a lot in SE Asia before the hike though, so I might change my mind if it doesn't work as well as I hope it will.

http://hikelighter.com/2013/08/07/waterproof-breathable-cuben-fiber-using-event-technology/

Shonryu
09-09-2013, 02:46
Cuban fiber isn't breathable. Anyone telling you this is lying. If its going to prevent water from goingin its going to prevent if from going out. I used to use a dri ducks jack w zpacks cuban kilt. Now I use a Marmot Mica because I use down sweaters and I've been in dowpoors where my dri ducks have failed on me.

Deacon
09-09-2013, 06:56
I plan on going with the Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber rain jacket with pit zips for my thru. I will have the opportunity to test it out a lot in SE Asia before the hike though, so I might change my mind if it doesn't work as well as I hope it will.

http://hikelighter.com/2013/08/07/waterproof-breathable-cuben-fiber-using-event-technology/

This is what I use too. I've never had it fail , even after hours of rain. The pit zips are a must for staying comfortable.

fins1838
09-09-2013, 07:15
Don't laugh...

Multiple suicicide?

BirdBrain
09-09-2013, 08:30
Have you ever heard of a former Packa owner? Let me say it a different way. If you were to list the things people try there would be all kinds of good options. Many of the recommendations would be on that list somewhere as people search for something that works great. Many of those choices would be good options for many people depending on hiking style, body shape, etc. When you get to the Packa you stop looking. It is a superior product on so many levels. It solves so many of the complaints of normal rain gear. I ask again. Have you ever heard of a person who bought a Packa and then moved on to something "better"?

I probably should not have posted such a challenge publicly. Someone is bound to have a bad experience somewhere. My point is that I have heard many Packa owners saying the same thing. Over and over I hear the stories of frustrated searchers. When they buy a Packa those problems go away.

treesloth
09-09-2013, 11:23
Cuban fiber isn't breathable. Anyone telling you this is lying. If its going to prevent water from goingin its going to prevent if from going out. I used to use a dri ducks jack w zpacks cuban kilt. Now I use a Marmot Mica because I use down sweaters and I've been in dowpoors where my dri ducks have failed on me.

I guess Joe Valesko is a big fat liar then with his so-called 'breathable' cuben products. The nerve of him! Maybe you should personally let him know what a scandalous fiend he is. Here is his email: [email protected]

Abela
09-09-2013, 19:31
...Cuban fiber isn't breathable. Anyone telling you this is lying...

/me giggles

WILLIAM HAYES
09-09-2013, 19:35
you will sweat regardless but I have used several different rain jackets and settled on a integral designs Event which breathes very well. I seldom use a rain jacket unless it is a cold or heavy rain .

Hillbilly

quasarr
09-09-2013, 20:27
There are some marketing claims that are always a lie. One is "no-scrub cleaner" and another one is "breathable rain gear." ;)

The only truly breathable rain protection is an umbrella! Otherwise, just accept you are gonna sweat. The "breathable" tag just means it will cost an extra $100 and you might get 5 extra minutes before you are soaked with sweat.

swammie
09-28-2013, 16:42
I just spent a few days in the Trinity Alps Wilderness with multiple inches of rain during the day and night. My first time using an umbrella (GoLite Chrome Dome) on the trail. I was the only hiker that was warm, dry and comfortable. It's literally "no sweat"! All the others had a range of expensive rain gear and were miserable enough to call it quits on the trail. I won't hike without this 7oz of gear magic.

The only truly breathable rain protection is an umbrella! Otherwise, just accept you are gonna sweat. The "breathable" tag just means it will cost an extra $100 and you might get 5 extra minutes before you are soaked with sweat.

stranger
09-28-2013, 23:39
Light jackets wear out quickly in the shoulders and start leaking, needing to be replaced. Heavy jackets last long but are...heavy.

Regardless of your decision, you will end up meeting someone at some stage and say...I wish I had their jacket!

For a good, simple, inexpensive quality jacket...Marmot precip is pretty good, can get em for under $100 at Campmor

stranger
09-28-2013, 23:45
I guess Joe Valesko is a big fat liar then with his so-called 'breathable' cuben products. The nerve of him! Maybe you should personally let him know what a scandalous fiend he is. Here is his email: [email protected]

'Breathable' is a relative term...Cuben was invented for sailing, to specifically NOT breathe...to catch wind, be extremely light. I would agree with the statement that cuben is not breathable, if a jacket has pit zips however, one might argue the jacket is breathable, although the fabric is not.

On a long hike I would expect a cuben jacket to fail if you wore it regularly, however in my 3000 miles of walking I've probably worn a rain jacket while hiking less than 15 times, so it might make it.

stranger
09-29-2013, 01:49
Just had a look, it appears that on the Zpacks site they are claiming the actual material is breathable, also using Event fabric as well.

They also did a review from their Te Araroa hike...I can vouch to the wet conditions in New Zealand, it ALWAYS rains! So I think that might be good enough for me. Also they didn't have the pit zips option. Sounds like a decent product.

ktest
11-12-2013, 18:42
I wear a women's medium 12 oz Columbia Hydro Seeker jacket. It's extremely breathable, definitely not a wind jacket, but it's waterproof in the type of autumn rains we get here in Appalachia, but I've yet to get a chance to test it in a summer deluge. I'm sure Columbia makes an equally light weight men's jacket. While not quite UL, the hydro seeker is full of features, like a billed adjustable storm hood, zippered pockets, an inside pocket, and velcro wrist adjusters.

Dogwood
11-12-2013, 18:52
Don't laugh...

Brought to you by the execs over at the Coneheads Co.

http://mimg.ugo.com/201005/44599/cuts/coneheads_288x288.jpg (http://www.ugo.com/the-goods/saturday-night-live-movies?page=2)

I think there starting to turn purple.

grateful 2
11-13-2013, 22:32
What Mags said.

How would you breathe?! It looks like it needs one of those warnings found on plastic bags.
Cut an air hole in the top. BTW - They look SO happy!

aficion
11-13-2013, 22:50
I use a silnylon poncho cut long in the back to cover the pack. Cinch it around the middle with paracord. Pits are permanently open as is bottom for good all around ventilation. Doubles as groundcloth, triples as tarp, quadruples as gear cover in camp. Will also work as a solar still, raincatcher, pack flotation for fording, and can cover your side window if its broken out when you get back to the car. If you need an improvised sail for your packraft........bingo!

HeartFire
11-14-2013, 16:07
For the record, Cubic Technology does make a "waterproof/breathable" fabric. I dont' use it, so I can't tell you any more about it. Other than I think the term "waterproof / Breathable" is an oxymoron.

LightHeart Gear will have their rain jacket up on the website later tonight.

steve0423
11-14-2013, 20:24
+1 Packa
used it on my thru this year. Love to be able to put it on in pack cover mode then deploy the jacket when the rain comes with out stopping. When the rain slows for a bit, I'd pull my arms out, zip the bottom couple inches and loop the cuff draw stings together to keep the arms of the jacket from getting caught on branches. It looked like a weird rain vest/bib/dress but would keep me cool and dry in a light drizzle. Also used it as a pillow when stuffed in it's own pocket. On several cold nights, I'd wake up, unstuff my pillow and shove the Packa down into my sleeping bag to trap some more heat. Got to where I could pull off that maneuver and be back to sleep in minutes. Held up very well with only a couple very small holes from me throwing it on the ground while on my pack. Didn't notice them till Lincoln NH, got a little tenacious tape and problem solved.

drifter
11-14-2013, 20:56
+2 on the packa, like all have experimented with lots of different approaches - but this is the best so far

Ileah7
11-14-2013, 20:57
Question about the Packa:

It looks great for hiking but what about in camp? Or setting up your tent in the rain? Can you drop your pack while still wearing the jacket to get tent out? Do you carry some other kind of rain gear for around camp?

drifter
11-14-2013, 21:06
Good question , no perfect solution - not easy to set up in heavy rain regardless. You either get wet while setting up (which lets face it - you are either wet from sweat or rain already) or sometimes I've draped my ground cloth over my pack while wearing the packa to finish setting up. Occasionally on shorter trips I may actually have another rain resistant top of some sort to wear while setting up. Overall the packa still works for me the best after 25 years.

steve0423
11-14-2013, 21:19
What drifter said

It does have it's down side, also looks a bit silly walking around town with no pack on, (like you have a weird tumor flapping around on your back). But as rain gear while hiking; I'd wager there's not much better out there.

I've help the camp problem somewhat by learning to limit the amount of time I was out of my tent, (setting up or breaking camp).

Dogwood
11-15-2013, 00:02

There are some marketing claims that are always a lie. One is "no-scrub cleaner" and another one is "breathable rain gear." ;)

'Breathable' is a relative term...Cuben was invented for sailing, to specifically NOT breathe...to catch wind, be extremely light. I would agree with the statement that cuben is not breathable, if a jacket has pit zips however, one might argue the jacket is breathable, although the fabric is not.

On a long hike I would expect a cuben jacket to fail if you wore it regularly, however in my 3000 miles of walking I've probably worn a rain jacket while hiking less than 15 times, so it might make it.

For the record, Cubic Technology does make a "waterproof/breathable" fabric. I dont' use it, so I can't tell you any more about it. Other than I think the term "waterproof / Breathable" is an oxymoron.

LightHeart Gear will have their rain jacket up on the website later tonight.

On the Zpacks/MLD rain mitts thread I unfairly and in my ignorant haste got on Zpacks and Joe for him referring to cuben as breathable as well. Gotta tell ya. I WAS WRONG TOO! I haven't kept up to date on cuben advancements as Joe has. Earlier this yr(2013, I think it was this yr) Cubic Tech started selling just such a breathable cuben product as HeartFire is saying. Joe even sent me the MVTR numbers reported to him by Cubic Tech that he uses(used?) in his cuben BREATHABLE mitt shells and also employs as a fabric in his rain jacket. MVTR in the 1.42 Joe uses as reported to him by Cubic Technology is 40,000(I forget the units, it's a measure of vapor transfer). That's breathable especially by current standards. What that means in other characteristics I don't know 100% and I'm not going to put my foot in it again. THX Joe for the quick reply.

There are some interesting things coming on the gear market. Check out the recent Outdoor Retailers show. http://southwestultralight.blogspot.com/2013/09/outdoor-retailer-summer-2013-delivers.html

Breathabilty of gear is not just a a marketing term. There are fabrics/technologies/products that are more breathable than others as measured in labs and it does translate into real world use. Here's where I will offer an opinion. IMHO, and as Ryan Jordan nicely points out in his book Lightweight Backpacking and Camping, it's more important from a breathability stand point to know how, where, and when to use all the venting features on a piece of gear like a rain jacket rather than just assuming breathability is only about the fabric's/technology's breathabilty. I for one notice all too often outdoor's people blaming so called lack of breathability solely on the rain jacket/rain wear/wind wear and ignoring their own lack of understanding.