PDA

View Full Version : AT related vs non-AT related

Mags
08-04-2013, 00:00
Hi folks, just a gentle reminder to put threads that are not-AT related in their appropriate thread.

One user in particular seems to be highly annoyed by this and is always reporting the posts with such verbiage as "This has NOTHING do with the AT!!!!" :rolleyes:

But, as annoying as he is, he is right. ;)

So, if it is a general outdoors thread, the General non-AT one works well:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?361-General-Non-AT-Talk

If it is something concerning say Nutrition, Gear, Media, Wildlife and so on, please use the appropriate forum.

The moderating team thanks you. One user who has a coronary every time someone posts something about the Canadian Rockies on an AT General forum really thanks you,too. :D

Rasty
08-04-2013, 00:09
Hi folks, just a gentle reminder to put threads that are not-AT related in their appropriate thread.

One user in particular seems to be highly annoyed by this and is always reporting the posts with such verbiage as "This has NOTHING do with the AT!!!!" :rolleyes:

If it is something concerning say Nutrition, Gear, Media, Wildlife and so on, please use the appropriate forum.

The moderating team thanks you. One user who has a coronary every time someone posts something about the Canadian Rockies on an AT General forum really thanks you,too. :D

Can a moderator place this in the humor forum? :D

Mags
08-04-2013, 00:19
Can a moderator place this in the humor forum? :D

Admittedly, even my serious posts have a (more than a) tinge of sarcasm.

But, being serious (who? me?) helps keep the site organized. And for the people who really, really, REALLY want to discuss the AT only they can happily avoid anything that does not have a white blaze. ;)

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2013, 00:20
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Non-A.T. discussion forum restricted? I remember having to ask permission to get access there, so I suspect that most people cannot view it.

Additionally, my understanding is that the General forum was for posting anything that might be of interest to the members of this site, this is the first I've heard any of the moderators clarify that it is only for threads directly related to the A.T.

shakey_snake
08-04-2013, 01:27

Seems like that'd be a nice forum to go to if only I could...

Sly
08-04-2013, 04:16
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Non-A.T. discussion forum restricted?

Seems like that'd be a nice forum to go to if only I could...

It's a subscribed forum you should be able to get to under "my account" & "permission groups" in your user control panel.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 07:25
Mags... I'm so confused. I never knew about this this Non-AT forum before I saw Tuckahoe64's post in it, just now.

I now see my closed thread, which was moved by the Ender, for the first time. I had no idea where it went. I tried to find it.... that sucks. I now see Mountain Mike's Jute Box thread ... I had no idea where that was or how to find it before now.

I wasn't trying to "compete" with the Cafe when I started my thread. I don't believe Just Bill was trying to do that either when he started his thread for interested speed hikers. (btw, JustBill your son is adorable.. just adorable)

NOW, we are forced to put our "chatty/friendly threads" into this new discussion group place where it will look like it is in direct "competition" with the other one going on. (nothing against that one at all) I don't want/like that at all.

I wanted a thread where everyone could share random stuff, beautiful pictures or random funny stuff....... we don't have a thread like that.

Is there any way you could open my thread???? Alligator?? It's in the appropriate forum now... it shouldn't be closed.
Another thread that should be in this forum is moytoy's thread ... "What I learned today" I love fun Non-AT related threads like that.

Tuckahoe
08-04-2013, 07:43
KD, the non-AT forum has always been there, its just that it has to be through subscription. I've used it to post pictures of my work projects and such.

I do think that your closed thread should be re-opened, since its been moved to that folder.

hikerboy57
08-04-2013, 07:54
Mags... I'm so confused. I never knew about this this Non-AT forum before I saw Tuckahoe64's post in it, just now.

I now see my closed thread, which was moved by the Ender, for the first time. I had no idea where it went. I tried to find it.... that sucks. I now see Mountain Mike's Jute Box thread ... I had no idea where that was or how to find it before now.

I wasn't trying to "compete" with the Cafe when I started my thread. I don't believe Just Bill was trying to do that either when he started his thread for interested speed hikers. (btw, JustBill your son is adorable.. just adorable)

NOW, we are forced to put our "chatty/friendly threads" into this new discussion group place where it will look like it is in direct "competition" with the other one going on. (nothing against that one at all) I don't want/like that at all.

I wanted a thread where everyone could share random stuff, beautiful pictures or random funny stuff....... we don't have a thread like that.

Is there any way you could open my thread???? Alligator?? It's in the appropriate forum now... it shouldn't be closed.
Another thread that should be in this forum is moytoy's thread ... "What I learned today" I love fun Non-AT related threads like that.theres a reason the cafe was closed. its hard to question the popularity of the thread, but being that whiteblaze is primarily an informational site, attroll has introduced groups as a format for more chatlike discussions that are non at related, so i began cafe2. visit the home page and read about the groups. anyone can start a group, which becomes sort of a mini forum, with threads or discussions within the group.if you've checked out the new cafe2,the conversation flows more freely, and there is even a gallery within the group.
there is no competition. its no different than any thread you wouuld start. evryone can see # of replies. threads arent popularity contests.
mom, i was actually thinking last night that the group format would be perfect for your thread. look into it a bit more, and you may like what you see. i see a lot of potential. and i would be happy to join your group should you decide to begin one. we're still one big happy, dysfunctional family.

kayak karl
08-04-2013, 08:03
shouldn't this thread be moved to non-AT :rolleyes:

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 08:58
theres a reason the cafe was closed. its hard to question the popularity of the thread, but being that whiteblaze is primarily an informational site, attroll has introduced groups as a format for more chatlike discussions that are non at related, so i began cafe2. visit the home page and read about the groups. anyone can start a group, which becomes sort of a mini forum, with threads or discussions within the group.if you've checked out the new cafe2,the conversation flows more freely, and there is even a gallery within the group.
there is no competition. its no different than any thread you wouuld start. evryone can see # of replies. threads arent popularity contests.
mom, i was actually thinking last night that the group format would be perfect for your thread. look into it a bit more, and you may like what you see. i see a lot of potential. and i would be happy to join your group should you decide to begin one. we're still one big happy, dysfunctional family.

I understand what you are saying HB... I'm not interested in starting a group of any kind. I saw the cafe2 group. I saw the sub-group. (HB's inner circle?) That's not me at all. It's fine if it works for you. :)

I've never thought of threads as popularity contests. Never. I like to start threads so I can get to know people better. Just like you. I think the popularity contests comes into play when you establish a "following", if you will. You've got that HB... you've got your followers. Nothing wrong with that at all. I like all your followers. They are all good people. I wouldn't/couldn't ever start a following. I just want to relate to people in random spontaneous ways.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 08:59
shouldn't this thread be moved to non-at :rolleyes:

yes!!!!!!......................

hikerboy57
08-04-2013, 09:37
theres a reason the cafe was closed. its hard to question the popularity of the thread, but being that whiteblaze is primarily an informational site, attroll has introduced groups as a format for more chatlike discussions that are non at related, so i began cafe2. visit the home page and read about the groups. anyone can start a group, which becomes sort of a mini forum, with threads or discussions within the group.if you've checked out the new cafe2,the conversation flows more freely, and there is even a gallery within the group.

I understand what you are saying HB... I'm not interested in starting a group of any kind. I saw the cafe2 group. I saw the sub-group. (HB's inner circle?) That's not me at all. It's fine if it works for you. :)

I've never thought of threads as popularity contests. Never. I like to start threads so I can get to know people better. Just like you. I think the popularity contests comes into play when you establish a "following", if you will. You've got that HB... you've got your followers. Nothing wrong with that at all. I like all your followers. They are all good people. I wouldn't/couldn't ever start a following. I just want to relate to people in random spontaneous ways. as the groups are very new with still fooling around with different format they can be public semi private or private when I opened the private group I kind of expected the type of reaction is given I still haven't decided whether I'm keeping it as a group or not as far as the following goes all I did was start a couple of good . Out of those threads a social network began to develop a troll an alligator both felt these social sites should be segregated from the main thrust of white place it's all very new but like I said it shows a lot of potential and by the way you have a few followers of your own

Pedaling Fool
08-04-2013, 10:06
All of you are wrong, this thread should have been posted in the below forum:

Forum: Forum help topics

This forum is for any questions or help you need using the web site.

:)

Rasty
08-04-2013, 10:15
All of you are wrong, this thread should have been posted in the below forum:

Forum: Forum help topics

This forum is for any questions or help you need using the web site.

:)

We may need a new forum "The Generally Straight Forward Humorous Help Forum"

jeffmeh
08-04-2013, 11:55
I am another one who did not know that General Non-AT was out there. I tend to navigate WB using "New Posts," and just skip the threads that do not interest me. IMO, making a forum require subscription best suits really off-topic areas, e.g., politics. If General Non-AT is meant for hiking-related posts that are not specific to the AT, then I would expect to see that without having to subscribe. Just my opinion....

rocketsocks
08-04-2013, 11:56
We may need a new forum "The Generally Straight Forward Humorous Help Forum"ah...a sticky!

Ezra
08-04-2013, 12:00
I see this website drifting from being a group of like minded folks who love to talk about the AT.

Sly
08-04-2013, 13:21
I am another one who did not know that General Non-AT was out there. I tend to navigate WB using "New Posts," and just skip the threads that do not interest me. IMO, making a forum require subscription best suits really off-topic areas, e.g., politics. If General Non-AT is meant for hiking-related posts that are not specific to the AT, then I would expect to see that without having to subscribe. Just my opinion....

At one time there were several non-AT forums including politics, so it wasn't uncommon to subscribe. I believe the idea being if you objected to seeing the post (such as politics) under "new posts", all you had to do was unsubscribe.

I see this website drifting from being a group of like minded folks who love to talk about the AT.

With 99% of the posts in the open forums concentrated on hiking, I have to disagree.

Alligator
08-04-2013, 13:36

Another thread that should be in this forum is moytoy's thread ... "What I learned today" I love fun Non-AT related threads like that.This is a hiking website. Threads on random topics require additional moderation resources. Threads on non-hiking subjects do as well and are not the focus of this site. We are not set up to be a chat room. The Non-AT General Forum is permission based but all the user has to do is sign up for that forum. There is no approval process on our part. Once you sign up for it, it will show up in your New Posts. We are not interested in promoting it, it is not the site's focus. It is a compromise location so that when non-hiking subjects are introduced they have a place to exist without being removed.

Groups don't have to be a competition, it is only a competition if you allow yourself to compete. Groups have other uses, they can be issue based, demographically based, etc. There is a slight shift in user participation parameters and a structural move in discussion location on the site. We do not feel it is our focus to have random lengthy threads occupying space on the thread listings. We have introduced groups to allow for threads like that. They are but one click extra to get to so it's not a big deal.

HikermomKD, next time ask through PM about a closed thread if you want further clarification. This is in the site rules.
3. Topics that have been closed, deleted, or moved by an Administrator or Moderator have been done for a reason. Users will not open new threads on the same subject or continue to make posts about subjects that have had these actions taken. Failing to comply with this policy can result in being placed into moderated status.

Alligator
08-04-2013, 13:44
I am another one who did not know that General Non-AT was out there. I tend to navigate WB using "New Posts," and just skip the threads that do not interest me. IMO, making a forum require subscription best suits really off-topic areas, e.g., politics. If General Non-AT is meant for hiking-related posts that are not specific to the AT, then I would expect to see that without having to subscribe. Just my opinion....We have Other Trails and specific forums where threads are introduced that are marginally hiking related, like Health for instance or Wildlife. We generally don't move these. But there are various off-topic posts that don't fit into hiking so they get moved there. Sports for instance, or gardening, or DIY home building. Sometimes people have other interests that they want to talk about with their hiking friends. The subscription part is so that the threads do not show up in the New Posts. Again, this a hiking site, so hiking topics get precedence.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 13:44

Oh dear!! :eek: I think it may be the fault of us chatty extroverts that like to meet & greet the people behind the usernames... *yikes* I feel bad for the mods that have to try to accommodate us. :p

I hear ya HB... :>) I just want to "blend in" while having fun with other like minded people. We are like a big family for sure. :) I love y'all!!

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 13:47
This is a hiking website. Threads on random topics require additional moderation resources. Threads on non-hiking subjects do as well and are not the focus of this site. We are not set up to be a chat room. The Non-AT General Forum is permission based but all the user has to do is sign up for that forum. There is no approval process on our part. Once you sign up for it, it will show up in your New Posts. We are not interested in promoting it, it is not the site's focus. It is a compromise location so that when non-hiking subjects are introduced they have a place to exist without being removed.

Groups don't have to be a competition, it is only a competition if you allow yourself to compete. Groups have other uses, they can be issue based, demographically based, etc. There is a slight shift in user participation parameters and a structural move in discussion location on the site. We do not feel it is our focus to have random lengthy threads occupying space on the thread listings. We have introduced groups to allow for threads like that. They are but one click extra to get to so it's not a big deal.

HikermomKD, next time ask through PM about a closed thread if you want further clarification. This is in the site rules.

I knew this was coming... Okey dokey! Got ya Alligator.. thanks for responding. :)

Alligator
08-04-2013, 13:54
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Non-A.T. discussion forum restricted? I remember having to ask permission to get access there, so I suspect that most people cannot view it.

Additionally, my understanding is that the General forum was for posting anything that might be of interest to the members of this site, this is the first I've heard any of the moderators clarify that it is only for threads directly related to the A.T.If you look at the forum listing page, General is located under the major heading of Appalachian Trail Forums. If you are subscribed to Non-AT, you will see that the heading is Non-AT Forums.

You did not find the forum so I ended up signing you up to make it easier. No permission needed, access as Sly described.

jeffmeh
08-04-2013, 14:43
So if "General Non-AT" is intended for things that are not hiking-related that do not fit in any of the other forums, then it makes sense to me. I do think the name is ambiguous though, as my first interpretation was "hiking related stuff that doesn't fit into any other forum."

Perhaps "Non-hiking odds and ends?" :)

Alligator
08-04-2013, 14:55
So if "General Non-AT" is intended for things that are not hiking-related that do not fit in any of the other forums, then it makes sense to me. I do think the name is ambiguous though, as my first interpretation was "hiking related stuff that doesn't fit into any other forum."

Perhaps "Non-hiking odds and ends?" :)I think that forum was added before the Other trails forum was added. We still have an intrinsic focus for the AT though so while we don't always feel the need to move stuff over there, we still reserve the right to move threads in there that are hiking related if the focus is not on the AT.

Then, if anybody has an issue about a thread that has been left on the unsubscibed side (AT forums, other trails, it's not in Non-AT) after moderator consideration, well don't read it or become a donating member and thread ignore it.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 15:08
I think that forum was added before the Other trails forum was added. We still have an intrinsic focus for the AT though so while we don't always feel the need to move stuff over there, we still reserve the right to move threads in there that are hiking related if the focus is not on the AT.

Then, if anybody has an issue about a thread that has been left on the unsubscibed side (AT forums, other trails, it's not in Non-AT) after after moderator consideration, well don't read it or become a donating member and thread ignore it.

I love the thread ignore feature...IMHO no one should complain about not enjoying threads with that feature available. If they do, they are just like to complain... it says something about them as a person that's all.

I think will like the General- Non-AT forum too. I really didn't know how to subscribe. It was easy.

I know you are talking to me serious when you spell out my username--- HikerMomKD!!... kinda like when you are trying to get your kids attention- you use their full name... LOL!! Thanks for all the hard work y'all do for the site. I know you can't please everyone... including me, sometimes.

Pedaling Fool
08-04-2013, 15:51
I love the thread ignore feature...IMHO no one should complain about not enjoying threads with that feature available. If they do, they are just like to complain... it says something about them as a person that's all.

I didn't know you could ignore threads; thought it was just for certain posters. But I don't really see the need to use an "Ignore Function" for certain threads/posters, just ignore them on your own. That's what I do for all the threads for ultralight weenies.:D

Hill Ape
08-04-2013, 16:57
@pedaling, thread ignore is a function only available to donating members, i think edit post is the same way

atraildreamer
08-04-2013, 17:50

Mags,

When are you going to come back to RI and summit Jerimoth Hill?

(is this the right thread for that question :confused: )

atraildreamer
08-04-2013, 18:01
We may need a new forum "The Generally Straight Forward Humorous Help Forum"

Let's not forget the: "I'm Extremely Bored and I'm Going to Reply to This Thread Even If I have No Idea What I am Talking About Forum." :)

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 18:55
I didn't know you could ignore threads; thought it was just for certain posters. But I don't really see the need to use an "Ignore Function" for certain threads/posters, just ignore them on your own. That's what I do for all the threads for ultralight weenies.:D

He he... that's funny PF.

Well, let me tell ya, PF... it's well worth the $10 to be a donating member. This thread ignore thing is great. If you think you may get pulled into a thread causing you to type things that you regret typing, later? OR if you just don't like a certain thread.. it annoys you for some reason? BAM... just put that thread on ignore and that puppy is outta there. It never shows up on ur screen again. You don't even see the thread, unlike when you put some person on ignore. I really don't like putting people on ignore. I would rather just work things out with that person but sometimes even that's not possible. :(

Having said that.. if you have such self control that you don't need the ignore buttons... more power to ya!! I'm serious.. that's more self control than i have.. proud of ya!! :D

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 18:58
Let's not forget the: "I'm Extremely Bored and I'm Going to Reply to This Thread Even If I have No Idea What I am Talking About Forum." :)

Whoopsss!!! I think I might be a member of that one!:p Let's see here.. can I make up something??? HA! HA!!