PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to be in the SNP next week?

BigE
08-02-2005, 16:02
Just curious if any WhiteBlaze.net folks were going to be in the Shenandoah Park next week. I'm going to hike through the park from South to North starting Saturday. I have a feeling I'm to late to run into any NOBOS and probably too early for SOBOS - oh well, can't wait - I'm ready for a break from it all!

BigE <------ pack loaded, boots at the door

The Solemates
08-02-2005, 16:11
no, but you will surely run into a bunch of BSA. i wouldnt do the AT during this time of the year....but have fun nonetheless!

teachergal
08-02-2005, 21:56
Big E...
I am assuming that the reason for your trip to SNP next week is because that's when you could get time off from work? Otherwise I would say that it's about the worst time to hike the AT in SNP....I live just outside of DC and hiking in SNP is one of my favorite passtimes, but I hate the heat/humidity of the summer.

Anyway you gotta go when you have time and if it's hotter than hades and the air is so humid your drink it rather the breathe it so be it!!!! :banana

Make sure you drink plenty of water - maybe even hit a shelter during the hottest part of the day. Bring Gatorade powder too - I found that it really helps to replenish those electrolytes when hiking in the heat/humidity.

Depending on how hot/humid the weather is next week I might be out there....day hiking in the Lewis Mt. Campground area - I'm "section hiking" (in 3-5 miles sections at a time) the whole AT in SNP and that's where I am. (and since I do my AT hiking as an out and back I will have walked every mile twice when I get done)

Anyway enjoy your trip! :)

neo
08-02-2005, 22:45
snp will be nicer next month:cool: neo

MedicineMan
08-02-2005, 23:21
but its still SNP and an awesome place in its own right regardless of time of year or surely it wouldnt be a National Park.

Mountain Hippie
08-03-2005, 02:04
I will be up there sometime within the week. I have not decided which days or where I am going yet. Probably north from Beagle gap.
I spent almost half of last month up there an had a great time. It was hot and humid but I tailored my hike so that I could take breaks and drank plenty of water. Toward the end of last week I think I was able to absorb enough water from the constant showers to stay hydrated. :rolleyes:
The only place that I ran into any large crowds was near Skyline drive and most of those were dayhikers and/or motorist that were at an overlook or trailhead. Come to think of it there were alot of people near loft and lewis mountain camp grounds as well as big meadows. I hiked into and through the big meadows area last thursday and there was a large group of people there in the resturant and visitor center waiting out a storm. I bought what I needed and hiked on in the rain.
It is worth noting that this time of year storms come up frequently. I was there when remnants of one of the hurricanes worked its way through. It produced some nasty storms and heavy rains as it passed but I lived thru it. The temperatures also varied over a wide range. I saw some near 100 degree days and a couple of mid 50 degree nights which is not abnormal for that area.
Anyway, I hope you have a great hike and who knows, maybe I will see you somewhere along the way.

BigE
08-03-2005, 09:16
I know it's not the best time to hike it, but it is the only window I have - so I'll make the best of it. No really big mileage days planned - the most is around 14. I'm taking my 14 year old son with me. We need the time together, plus he needs to excercise more than his fingers on a game controlller. I think this is going to be the start of my official section hike. I will take the powdered Gatoraide advice - good idea. We have a cabin on Flattop, which will give us a 1/2 way break for one night and a re-supply. So Mountain Hippie - if you see a 6'-8" guy hiking with a 6'-2" 14 yr. old, that would be us! Just look for Sasquatch! - lol (I would have Sasquatch for a trail name but a good friend has already thru hiked the AT and PCT with that name).

BigE