PDA

View Full Version : Best way to combat wild pigs

canoe
08-04-2013, 00:02
I read alot about bears but not much about wild pigs. I am now hiking Ga section and a small herd came through a friends site last night. He just sat there. Should one have kept quiet or made a bunch of noise like chasing off a bear? Didnt get much sleep after that.

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2013, 00:27
Ive not had to deal with them personally but I know folks who have. He did the right thing by keeping quiet, I wouldn't want to aggressively confront a hog in any situation, let alone a herd of them.

I've got a buddy that lives down in Georgia and hunts them, he says that hogs are much more aggressive than bears and will gladly defend themselves. When he hunts them they use two pit bulls and a sighting dog, and he's had a single hog charge all three dogs and send them running. Moral of the story is just let them go about their business and don't mess around with them.

Deer Hunter
08-04-2013, 00:28
From my own experience, they wont bother you unless they feel threatened and have no way out except through you. Other's may have had different experiences though.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78026-What-do-you-do-in-a-wild-Boar-attack (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78026-What-do-you-do-in-a-wild-Boar-attack)

moldy
08-04-2013, 07:52
That's why I always carry "pig spray", Smells like truffles.

moytoy
08-04-2013, 08:05
That's why I always carry "pig spray", Smells like truffles.
holy kamoly moldy ..you are just asking for trouble:)

Actually I shoo off feral pigs all the time. You do need to get a visual on the pigs first before chasing them. If you run into an old Russian razerback leave em alone.

Ground Control
08-04-2013, 08:19
Recently ran into two NOBO hikers who said they had seen rangers (or wardens) in Georgia using an AR-15 with a silencer to thin out the wild pig population. "Best part about the silencer is they don't know where the shot came from."

Something about lack of predators or introduction of non-native species wreaking havoc was the justification... I'm sure someone here can provide the actual facts or reasons why such drastic action would be considered...

The unfortunate thing, to me anyways, was that the officials left the carcasses where they were as common practice. One of the hikers relaying the story seemed especially angry about what a wasteful practice this is; certainly nearby communities, food pantries and homeless shelters could use the meat.

:-?

Rasty
08-04-2013, 08:28
Recently ran into two NOBO hikers who said they had seen rangers (or wardens) in Georgia using an AR-15 with a silencer to thin out the wild pig population. "Best part about the silencer is they don't know where the shot came from."

Something about lack of predators or introduction of non-native species wreaking havoc was the justification... I'm sure someone here can provide the actual facts or reasons why such drastic action would be considered...

The unfortunate thing, to me anyways, was that the officials left the carcasses where they were as common practice. One of the hikers relaying the story seemed especially angry about what a wasteful practice this is; certainly nearby communities, food pantries and homeless shelters could use the meat.

Almost impossible to comply with USDA regulations. Even giving it away is violating the spirit of the law. The meat does not go to waste. Other animals eat it.

Tuckahoe
08-04-2013, 09:11
Hogs are not wild, they are non-native feral animals, that are very aggressive and destructive, and should be erradicated from our wild places.

I'm also alright with the rangers leaving the carcasses where they were shot. They are often diseased and infested animals and buzzards gotta eat too.

And finally they are not using silencers, they are sound supressors...

This is a silencer --

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?75178-Solution-for-the-boar-and-bear-problem-at-GSMNP

Rasty
08-04-2013, 09:32
Hogs are not wild, they are non-native feral animals, that are very aggressive and destructive, and should be erradicated from our wild places.

I'm also alright with the rangers leaving the carcasses where they were shot. They are often diseased and infested animals and buzzards gotta eat too.

And finally they are not using silencers, they are sound supressors...

This is a silencer --

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?75178-Solution-for-the-boar-and-bear-problem-at-GSMNP

Nice pork kabober

Hikes in Rain
08-04-2013, 09:33
Ooh! I want a silencer! I need a new hiking staff anyway.

turtle fast
08-04-2013, 09:48
Hauling a dispatched pig several miles to the nearest road in rough terrain is a recipe for injury. As well, some feral pigs can carry several diseases like Brucelliosis and Hepatitis....not something you want to take to a food bank whom may be helping the elderly or young children.

moldy
08-04-2013, 09:49
Be afraid, very afraid, you could be eaten by wild Russian boars or is it bores? Perhaps the Forest Service will issue new rules for "Hog danger areas"? We could come up with a special container to protect your truffles while camping. A tracking system for all the hog related injuries and incidents on the trail. People from Arkansas may boycott the trail. Silk purse production will be down.

Pedaling Fool
08-04-2013, 10:02
Almost impossible to comply with USDA regulations. Even giving it away is violating the spirit of the law. The meat does not go to waste. Other animals eat it.Agree, not as easy as it sounds.

Just shoot them and leave them something will eat them. No waste and you save the native area from invasives.

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2013, 10:06
Be afraid, very afraid, you could be eaten by wild Russian boars or is it bores? Perhaps the Forest Service will issue new rules for "Hog danger areas"? We could come up with a special container to protect your truffles while camping. A tracking system for all the hog related injuries and incidents on the trail. People from Arkansas may boycott the trail. Silk purse production will be down.

Nobody said you should be afraid, they exist and he opening post just asked the best way to deal with a close encounter.
From everything I've been told by the folks I know that deal with them, they aren't aggressive unless provoked, but they can become aggressive when harassed, especially if cornered (unlikely in the woods). Generally just leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

MuddyWaters
08-04-2013, 10:51
Hog are very intelligent, but also very wary.

They can be aggressive and protective under certain circumstances. But normally, you will never know they are there.

They are not even a remote concern.

If you set out snares for them, you have to be careful when checking them. A boar will hang around to protect one stuck in a snare, and will ambush you. But normally, they run away if you are within 100yds.

Be calm, let them know you are a people, they will leave you alone.

gollwoods
08-04-2013, 11:18
I don't know how many I have not known about while hiking, last month I saw at least one or more per day while hiking in the Smokies. curiously there was a hog trapped west of silers about 1/2 mile. I was not that interested in going over to see it but the hog was charging inside the trap and it sounded furious. I ran across a couple hikers who rumored to me that a person reported being charged. the rangers were out looking to eliminate hogs up there. any animal is possibly dangerous, but I don't think the hogs are particularly aggressive although i agree they are extremely capable of causing harm. they should be controled as much as possible but with the size of the litters and the range so difficult in the smokies it's not an easy job.

atraildreamer
08-04-2013, 11:28
Nobody said you should be afraid, they exist and he opening post just asked the best way to deal with a close encounter.
From everything I've been told by the folks I know that deal with them, they aren't aggressive unless provoked, but they can become aggressive when harassed, especially if cornered (unlikely in the woods). Generally just leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

Just don't mention bacon when they pass by!

Pedaling Fool
08-04-2013, 11:29
Re-introduce the mountain lion, that should help controlling the numbers:)

Bronk
08-04-2013, 12:33
I read alot about bears but not much about wild pigs. I am now hiking Ga section and a small herd came through a friends site last night. He just sat there. Should one have kept quiet or made a bunch of noise like chasing off a bear? Didnt get much sleep after that.

Feral hogs have just as much fear of humans as other wild animals and will run away if given the chance. If you run at them, they will run away...in fact they will run as soon as they realize you are there.

In many states it is open season, shoot as many as you want and leave the meat to rot, we just want rid of them all. The meat isn't really that good anyway unless you trap them and feed them corn for a few weeks before slaughter.

But I can see how they would be dangerous when cornered. I once came across a trap made of rebar welded together with a 200 pounder in it...it had blood all over its face and was continuously ramming into the side of the cage trying to bust its way out.

WingedMonkey
08-04-2013, 12:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls064hORVVo

I find that a simple "hey pigs" gets them moving along.

:sun

Malto
08-04-2013, 13:16

Mountain lions like bacon!

I wonder if the pig problem is getting worse in GA. When I lived down in GA a little over a year ago I hiked the whole AT in GA and never saw a single piggie. It's surprising they would thrive there given the locals inclination to shoot anything that moves. I have seen a lot of evidence of them in GSMNP. With the prohibition on hunting it is not surprising that they would expand their numbers there.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 14:01

Yup, I remember you posting this video before!! I was amazed at the pigs reaction to your voice. It took a while but they moved out. That is good to know. I've wondered about pigs/boars on the trail and what to do if you come across them. Interesting.....

Cyngbaeld
08-04-2013, 14:26
I had a trapped hog burst thru the cattle panel trap I was using once. He had been coming too near the house every night and getting eggs from under my setting geese. Still, if he saw me outside, he would always take off. I've never had one not run away as soon as they saw me. Put your arms in the air and wave them and make a little noise and they leave asap. Just don't ever try to catch a small one. Their mama's are fierce if you are messing with the younguns.

JustaTouron
08-04-2013, 15:00

Not exactly the most pig proof fence in existence.

vamelungeon
08-04-2013, 17:26
I've been charged by one (not on the AT). I did as above and raised my arms with my hiking poles above my head and yelled, and it stopped charging, stared at me for a moment and ran off. This herd had been particularly destructive in this part of the Jefferson National Forest, and as I hiked I was wondering what had done all the damage, not realizing there were feral hogs in that area. They were in a place where the NFS had done a "controlled burn" a couple of years prior and were in undergrowth about knee high. When I first saw the hog I thought it was a bear since all I could see was a black animal in the ferns, but then I saw the tail. I froze, and I did see other hogs nearby. When this one finally saw me it charged but I'm guessing because it was startled and maybe had some offspring BUT that charging business gave me a pretty good fright, I have to admit, and it came within maybe 15 yards of me. I talked to the NFS LEO and he said they had tried to kill them all a few years before but apparently not successful.

MuddyWaters
08-04-2013, 17:39
They actually can be beneficial for some things. Hard to believe, I know.

Aspen trees run out all kinds of roots under the soil which new trees sprout from. The forest service discovered that disturbance of them causes new Aspen shoots to come up. So now when rehabilitating areas that have burned, etc, they bring in hogs temporarily to get the Aspens going.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 19:06
I had a trapped hog burst thru the cattle panel trap I was using once. He had been coming too near the house every night and getting eggs from under my setting geese. Still, if he saw me outside, he would always take off. I've never had one not run away as soon as they saw me. Put your arms in the air and wave them and make a little noise and they leave asap. Just don't ever try to catch a small one. Their mama's are fierce if you are messing with the younguns.

Hum... interesting.

I've been charged by one (not on the AT). I did as above and raised my arms with my hiking poles above my head and yelled, and it stopped charging, stared at me for a moment and ran off. This herd had been particularly destructive in this part of the Jefferson National Forest, and as I hiked I was wondering what had done all the damage, not realizing there were feral hogs in that area. They were in a place where the NFS had done a "controlled burn" a couple of years prior and were in undergrowth about knee high. When I first saw the hog I thought it was a bear since all I could see was a black animal in the ferns, but then I saw the tail. I froze, and I did see other hogs nearby. When this one finally saw me it charged but I'm guessing because it was startled and maybe had some offspring BUT that charging business gave me a pretty good fright, I have to admit, and it came within maybe 15 yards of me. I talked to the NFS LEO and he said they had tried to kill them all a few years before but apparently not successful.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Glad you weren't hurt!!

Bati
08-04-2013, 19:49
I was talking to a ranger in the smokies and mentioned the pig and numerous piglets I had seen. He asked for detailed information about where; part of his duties involved shooting them. But the most informative part of the conversation was that pigs are very aggressive to dogs, but not to humans who are not traveling with dogs (and presumably not dumb enough to pet a piglet).

He basically stated that the stories of aggressive pigs are either related to dogs or tall tales. Thus a hiker in the park had nothing to worry about except excessive disturbances of the natural environment caused by unchecked rooting.

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2013, 19:53
hike with someone slower?

RF_ace
08-04-2013, 21:52
we trapped some at work; i prefer bow and arrow, no need for a silencer and bit more sporting

modiyooch
08-04-2013, 22:10
When I inquired about the same thing, I was told to act like a matador, and jump out of the way at the last minute when charged.

Just Bill
08-04-2013, 22:46
I was told to bring Wendy. She's fat, She's a redhead- but she makes a baconator- and the piggies fear her.

hoffhiker
08-04-2013, 23:10
Grey wolves once roamed the appalachian mountains. Less likley to be attacked by them than mountain lions.

Just Bill
08-04-2013, 23:15
For sure- since they no longer roam the terrain in question.

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2013, 23:54
Grey wolves once roamed the appalachian mountains. Less likley to be attacked by them than mountain lions.

And just when I've finally stopped hiking with my Garand.

birchy
08-05-2013, 10:49

GREAT IDEA. Trade a species that MAY charge you, for one that will LIKELY STALK YOU. The mountain lion is a much more dangerous species then a feral pig. Growing up in the Adirondacks of NY I had several encounters with Pumas (mountain lions). Put of course according to the government there are no mountain lions left (wrong). I rather take my chances with a feral pig, then a mountain lion any day.

Odd Man Out
08-05-2013, 14:37
...Something about lack of predators or introduction of non-native species wreaking havoc was the justification... I'm sure someone here can provide the actual facts or reasons why such drastic action would be considered...

I don't think that eradicating invasive non-native species is "drastic action". This has been in the news locally when plans to eradicate the Mute Swans became controversial. There has been some backlash because swans are "pretty" and seen by the public as destructive.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/07/in_unprecedented_move_west_mic.html

Hill Ape
08-05-2013, 16:01
the domestic housecat is the most successful predator in the world. it is a non native introduced species in almost all locations except for like three places in the world. and its also the leading cause of endangered songbird losses. that line of logic is often used in bird habitats, kill the cats to save the birds. the cat owners dont want to hear it.

personally i think most things humans do only throw nature out of balance. every species has its role to play. if we eliminate predators, prey species population will explode. they eat up all their food, then more die as a result. its a vicious cycle.

moytoy
08-05-2013, 17:12
Hey canoe, do you feel like you got your straight forward answer yet? The truth is there is no correct answer. Like anything else, you asses the situation and act accordingly. But I will add something more to my previous post. Pigs have terrible sight. If you don't let them know your there they may walk right up to you. Make a noise but don't move and they will look straight at you and stare. If you move they can see a movement and will probably take off. If your nervous about the size of a boar or big sow look for a safe place like a tree or a rock structure. I have run into pigs on the trail a lot and I've never been attacked. Honestly it's not a big issue.

Rasty
08-05-2013, 17:42
the domestic housecat is the most successful predator in the world. it is a non native introduced species in almost all locations except for like three places in the world. and its also the leading cause of endangered songbird losses. that line of logic is often used in bird habitats, kill the cats to save the birds. the cat owners dont want to hear it.

personally i think most things humans do only throw nature out of balance. every species has its role to play. if we eliminate predators, prey species population will explode. they eat up all their food, then more die as a result. its a vicious cycle.

Any society that has tried getting of the domestic cat has paid a very heavy price.

rocketsocks
08-05-2013, 18:34

That's funny, them pigs must have went to a pig roast the night before and really tied one on.

it's also very telling

oruacat2
08-05-2013, 23:39
Wouldn't shooting these pigs and just leaving the carcass attract hungry bears? Aren't bloody carcasses lying in the woods something you're supposed to AVOID while in bear country? lol

Hill Ape
08-06-2013, 00:09
that would be normal behavior for a bear, and wouldn't teach him to associate humans with food. i'm philosophically against killing a boar just for the hell of it, but leaving its carcass would help the bear, and the carrion, and any other scavenger that needs to eat

yes, our boar population is recovering, no, its not a problem. why poach them?

oruacat2
08-06-2013, 00:23
I'm not arguing in favor of or opposition to - I just hope common sense would dictate dragging it away from any trails.

greentick
08-07-2013, 16:18
My favorite hog quote:

"They're smarter than dogs, warier than turkeys or deer, and more evil than a dungeon full of Mansons." - HTR over at 68forums.com

We spooked some hogs in the Smokies and it was nothing but ******** and elbows as they took off.
Same thing when I hiked Cumberland Island Natl Seashore. Tons of piglets too, they are tearing up the protected areas so much the park service host 2 hog hunts there in January.

ATMountainTime
08-07-2013, 18:43
I find poking them with a stick is the best way to protect one's self from a wild pig/boar.

Chair-man
08-08-2013, 02:18
Pigs love acorns and may not shoo off easily in these areas.

RCBear
08-08-2013, 09:08
I have seen a feral boar here in florida slice a large dog to ribbons. Outside of Texas I believe we have the largest population of them. They are highly destructive and not to be trifled with if you dont have either a rifle or large caliber handgun on you.

RCBear
08-08-2013, 09:10
I find poking them with a stick is the best way to protect one's self from a wild pig/boar.

You made a funny :-)

RCBear
08-08-2013, 09:19
Some species do more harm than good. You only have to take visit the everglades to see that. The burmese python population has exploded out of control and has eradicated most of the native inhabitants there. They are even taking down gators under 7 feet now. Fish and wildlife have enlisted the help of private citizens now to eradicate them all, but are making no progress. Its a real shame that a couple of morons decided to let their pets free in such an important ecosystem.

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2013, 09:23
that would be normal behavior for a bear, and wouldn't teach him to associate humans with food. i'm philosophically against killing a boar just for the hell of it, but leaving its carcass would help the bear, and the carrion, and any other scavenger that needs to eat

yes, our boar population is recovering, no, its not a problem. why poach them?

Oh Boy....

1. They were not indigenous (Introduced 1500's and 1900's)
2. Their activity gives foot hold to invasive species
3. Crop and food destruction
4. No real predators for the sick and weak

They compete for food with deer, turkey, waterfowl, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, foxes, bobcats, javelinas, bears, sandhill cranes and chipmunks. Rooting effects can change soil properties such as water and mineral cycles, and can also alter plant community succession sequences. Positive effects include increased quality of seed beds, increased water infiltration, shift in plant succession toward increased diversity, accelerated decomposition of organic matter and increased mixing of soil horizons. Negative effects include soil erosion, consumption of native seed crops, consumption of threatened or endangered species, altered plant succession in monocultures or native rangeland and reduction of overall species diversity.

So why poach? ITS NOT POACHING. they are open season year round on private lands in your state.

Feral hogs can carry infectious diseases that are transmissible to people. To avoid possible exposure, wear plastic gloves when field-dressing feral hogs; wash hands with soap and hot water immediately afterwards; avoid direct contact with blood and reproductive organs; cook thoroughly, and properly dispose of all waste.

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2013, 09:30
Some species do more harm than good. You only have to take visit the everglades to see that. The burmese python population has exploded out of control and has eradicated most of the native inhabitants there. They are even taking down gators under 7 feet now. Fish and wildlife have enlisted the help of private citizens now to eradicate them all, but are making no progress. Its a real shame that a couple of morons decided to let their pets free in such an important ecosystem.

1. very few private citizens carry the license last I saw it was under 30 licenses or permits (this is not hunting but a controlled cull of a invasive species)
2. The major release happened when a large building was trashed by a hurricane in the glades.

RCBear
08-08-2013, 09:46
It is an attempted cull and you do have to show that you have some experience in dealing with large reptiles, but they did have a large amount of applicants a year or two ago when fish and wildlife announced their "Python Challenge" competition in order to spur interest from experienced hunters. They really had no impact however. They are actually very hard to locate and capture or kill. I didn't realize the main issue was from a warehouse destuction. I guess that happened before the state forbade bringing the snakes into Florida. Was it hurricane Andrew?

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 09:59
i'm familiar with the regs, thanks, i even know where you cut and pasted you info from. but the distinction is who owns the land, the regs differ from private/public lands

Feral Hog</body>
Private Lands

No closed season; no limit. Feral hogs may be hunted at night with a light (no voltage restriction), which is carried on the person, affixed to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by a hunter. No hunting from a vehicle. Hunting over bait is allowed. A resident Hunting License is required to hunt feral hogs for all resident hunters 16 years old or older, except when hunting on land owned by them or their immediate family (blood or dependent relationship) residing in the same household. Non-residents must possess a non-resident hunting license.
National Forest Lands (outside of WMAs)
Hogs may be taken with archery equipment during archery deer season, with deer weapons during firearms deer season, with turkey weapons during turkey season and with small game weapons during small game season. Feral hogs may be hunted with dogs with appropriate weapons restrictions while training dogs during dates when training season coincides with small game or turkey season. See section Dogs & Dog Traning (http://www.whiteblaze.net/dogs-dog-training/) for dog training seasons and rules. No limit. No night hunting. No hunting over bait. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required during firearms and primitive weapons deer seasons.
Transporting & Release
It is illegal to release any trapped or transported live feral hogs into any area that is not fenced to prevent escape of such feral hog. Any persons convicted of the release of live feral hogs in violation of established laws and regulations may be subject to revocation of hunting privileges for up to three years. Transport and possession of live feral hogs are regulated by Georgia Department of Agriculture, contact the Animal Industry Division at 404-656-3671 for more information.
Warning
Feral hogs can carry infectious diseases that are transmissible to people. To avoid possible exposure, wear plastic gloves when field-dressing feral hogs; wash hands with soap and hot water immediately afterwards; avoid direct contact with blood and reproductive organs; cook thoroughly, and properly dispose of all waste.
Processing
Any facility that processes hogs for a fee must be licensed as a red meat establishment by the Dept. of Agriculture. Deer processors can obtain a Custom Feral Hog Exempt license from the GA Dept. of Agriculture, Meat Inspection Section for $10. Contact the Meat Inspection Section at (404) 656-3673 for more information. This licensing requirement does not apply to anyone processing a feral hog for their own use.

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 10:06
and since we are talking about the appalachian trail (right?) hunting regulations are not consistant
HUNTINGHunting regulations vary widely along the Appalachian Trail. Although the A.T. is a unit of the National Park system, it traverses many different types of public lands—including parks, forests, refuges, and game lands.

Hunting—with the proper state licenses—is PERMITTED along approximately 1,250 miles of the Appalachian Trail through national forest lands, national recreation areas, and on state forests and game lands. Although a concerted effort is made to identify land types on official A.T. maps, it is seldom easy while on the footpath in several states to determine which jurisdiction you are walking through, except at boundary signs. Both hikers and hunters are advised to “know before you go.”

Hunting is PROHIBITED along approximately 900 miles of the Trail through national parks (like Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains), most state parks, and on lands acquired by the National Park Service (NPS) exclusively for the Appalachian Trail and still under NPS administration—indicated on the outside edges by A.T. corridor boundary signs. Hikers should be aware that the protected corridor is often narrow, averaging about 1,000 feet wide.

Even in areas where hunting is prohibited, hunters on adjacent lands may not know that they are near the Trail. Hunters may inadvertently cross onto Trail lands or unknowingly fire toward the Trail.

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 10:07
and since we're talking about guns

Firearms Information

New Firearm Regulations for the National Park Service
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms on portions of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
This applies to:

This only applies to lands owned by the U.S. Government and managed by the National Park Service, Appalachian Trail Park Office. This includes 428 miles of trail, 25 % of the trail’s length in 9 of the 14 trail states.
This does not apply to:
This does not apply to the Appalachian Trail located on lands owned and managed by the more than 90 other federal, state and local agencies. This includes 1747 miles of trail, 80 % of the trails length across all 14 states. Rules and regulations on these lands are determined by the individual agencies.
Please note:

The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, a unit of the national park system, is administered by the National Park Service, Appalachian Trail Park Office. The Appalachian Trail spans 2,179 miles across lands administered by 6 other national parks, 8 National Forests, 1 National Wildlife Refuge, and 75 other federal, state, and local agencies. Each one of these agencies has their own rules and regulations which contributes to the complexity of legally carrying a firearm on the Appalachian Trail.
It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before visiting the Appalachian Trail.
What has not changed:

The use of weapons are still prohibited on Appalachian Trail National Park Service lands

Hunting is still prohibited on Appalachian Trail National Park Service lands

Firearms are still prohibited inside National Park Service federal facilities

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 10:27
true, there is no bag limit, and there is no "season" because hogs are not classed as game animals. however, that does not mean there are not regulations. shooting a boar with a rifle during bow/primitive weapons seasons is a no go. there is no bag limit, but you can't just go out anywhere in georgia and start killing. on private property you can, but even then the type of weapon you use is regulated. on public lands it gets very complicated.

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 10:35
so it may or may not be poaching, and in the context of this thread, it probably is. no bag limit doesn't translate to shoot on site. and the appalachian trail in georgia is not on private property

RCBear
08-08-2013, 10:41
I think what should be taken from this subject is "just dont F#&$ with wild boar".

Statistically speaking you wont have a dangerous encounter, but the sounds that would be coming from deep inside you if you are that "one" is not a pleasant thought.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

vamelungeon
08-08-2013, 10:49
Feral hogs are a prime example of an invasive species. There is a continuous open season on them here in VA as long as you are on private property. National Forests have different restrictions on carrying firearms, as do National Parks and State Parks. These hogs or boars or whatever you want to call them are not a native species so it's ridiculous to talk about their population "recovering." I think most wildlife biologists want to see them eliminated entirely because they are so destructive to both flora and fauna.

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2013, 23:56
I think you're gonna need a bigger spear. :eek:

Alabama Boy Kills 1,051-Pound Monster Pig, Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05/26/alabama-boy-kills-1051-pound-monster-pig-bigger-than-hogzilla/#ixzz2bd5QNB32

Teacher & Snacktime
08-11-2013, 04:34
Best way to combat wild pigs (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97300-Best-way-to-combat-wild-pigs/page2) Twist their snouts until they turn blue, then shoot them with a blue pig gun.

Bronk
08-11-2013, 09:00
I think you're gonna need a bigger spear. :eek:

Alabama Boy Kills 1,051-Pound Monster Pig, Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05/26/alabama-boy-kills-1051-pound-monster-pig-bigger-than-hogzilla/#ixzz2bd5QNB32

I think it was later revealed that this pig was shot at a hunting ranch and unbeknownst to even the kid who shot it this pig was raised on a farm and then released into a fenced area so he could "hunt" it. They interviewed the couple who raised the pig and they said it was treated like a family pet and they didn't realize the people they sold it to were going to put it on a hunting ranch.

RCBear
08-11-2013, 09:15
I've always preferred the kind of bacon that comes from the supermarket over the kind that comes from pigs.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Sarcasm the elf
08-11-2013, 09:15
I think it was later revealed that this pig was shot at a hunting ranch and unbeknownst to even the kid who shot it this pig was raised on a farm and then released into a fenced area so he could "hunt" it. They interviewed the couple who raised the pig and they said it was treated like a family pet and they didn't realize the people they sold it to were going to put it on a hunting ranch.

That wouldn't surprise me given how portly the animal looked in the photo. I seems unlikely that it could pack on all at extra weight in the wild.

Drybones
08-11-2013, 09:33

This is likely true, dont know exactly where it was killed but I'm not far from Anniston and hike the trails and hunt in that area and have never seen pigs or ground rooted by them.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2013, 09:40
Not all states allow hunting hogs at night, or with a light. I know texas does, but many dont. In texas they use remote controlled lights on feeders. You sit in a deerstand closeby, and when you hear the corn crunching , you turn on the light and shoot the hog.

In other states, the assumption is, if you let the local idiots into the woods at night with guns and lights, they will kill deer .

Then there are the laws to protect wildlife. In many states just shining a light (spotlighting ) deer could get you a ticket for harrassing the wildlife. You dont even need to do anything else. So the situation gets sticky.

Hunting season stresses animals, they need some time to not be stressed. Generally, night time is it.

Kookork
08-11-2013, 10:37
Oh Boy....

1. They were not indigenous (Introduced 1500's and 1900's)
2. Their activity gives foot hold to invasive species
3. Crop and food destruction
4. No real predators for the sick and weak

They compete for food with deer, turkey, waterfowl, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, foxes, bobcats, javelinas, bears, sandhill cranes and chipmunks. Rooting effects can change soil properties such as water and mineral cycles, and can also alter plant community succession sequences. Positive effects include increased quality of seed beds, increased water infiltration, shift in plant succession toward increased diversity, accelerated decomposition of organic matter and increased mixing of soil horizons. Negative effects include soil erosion, consumption of native seed crops, consumption of threatened or endangered species, altered plant succession in monocultures or native rangeland and reduction of overall species diversity.

So why poach? ITS NOT POACHING. they are open season year round on private lands in your state.

Bravo, WOO:

this comments of yours reminded me of the old WOO I came to know and like. Informative and brief and totally right.

Kookork
08-11-2013, 10:59

Thanks Bronk. I did not know the story. They actually twisted the story to satisfy media without breaking any rule . They just advertised their private hunting land for free.

Pathfinder1
08-11-2013, 12:19
Hi...

Yes, there is invariably 'fraud' involved whenever one of these 'giants' are killed. I'm surprised this wasn't on Fox News (or was it?).:)

Pathfinder1
08-11-2013, 12:21
Hi...

Sorry...my error...just looked at again...IT WAS ON FOX NEWS...!!

Drybones
08-11-2013, 12:25
The technique used up north to deal with polar bears might work with pigs as well...cut a big hole in the ice and sprinkle peas around the hole, when the animal walks up and bends over to eat the peas you kick him in the ice hole.