PDA

View Full Version : If money was kinda, sorta no object..

Dutch1976
08-04-2013, 07:08
Which style/brand of sunglasses would you buy? A pair that can be for hiking only.

Thanks!

garlic08
08-04-2013, 07:32
Except for early summer in the snow, I don't use sunglasses when I'm hiking. That's one less thing to lose. A wide-brimmed hat does the trick for me.

I don't walk on waterfronts, but I could see where sunglasses would be handy there. In my sailing days, I used Vuarnet ski lenses, double gradient, and I could see things on the water that others couldn't. They were expensive and I wouldn't take them on a hike in the woods, where I tend to lose things like that.

Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Tuckahoe
08-04-2013, 07:39
Personally I just cant see spending too much money on sun glasses. I'll wear them biking or walking around town when I can get an unexpected flash of sunlight right in my face and keep things out of my eyes. But I dont wear them hiking for the same reasons Garlic08, its just another thing to keep track of and the trail is pretty shaded.

That, and I am prefectly happy just buying my sun glasses for under $20 at Walgreens or Target.

Ground Control
08-04-2013, 08:32
Except for early summer in the snow, I don't use sunglasses when I'm hiking.

This! Never wore them on my last two sections until I got into my car -- they are on the top of my list of things to never bring again. Most of the time you are under the canopy anyhow...

That being said, Smith carried a fine line of polarized-lens sunglasses. The polarized lenses really bring out the color spectrum and definition in the world -- especially with clouds.
;)

Malto
08-04-2013, 08:35
A hundred pairs of cheap Walmart glasses. Sunglasses are my most lost and broken piece of gear. I only take them now on western or snow trips.

DeerPath
08-04-2013, 08:41
Which style/brand of sunglasses would you buy? A pair that can be for hiking only.

Thanks!
Maui Jim makes a sunglass called Breakwall wt. 0.5 oz . ,But Iv'e never had a pair of Maui Jim,s I didn't like.

kayak karl
08-04-2013, 08:45
hit that trail a-runnin' and try to beat the masses and go get yourself some cheap sunglasses

Rasty
08-04-2013, 09:57
No reason to get anything over $20. The only time I wear sunglasses while hiking is when there is snow. On the water is a different story.

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2013, 10:27

Thanks!

Where and when are you hiking? On the A.T. during spring, summer and early fall, there is a very limited need for sunglasses since you will spend so much time under tree cover. I would recommend getting a cheap(ish) pair of sunglasses that are polarized and block UVA and UVB rays, I usually get these for $20-$30.

I usually buy two each year, one with amber or light blue lenses which are good for morning and evening and one pair with darker grey lenses for when it's really bright out. (When I hike I only use darker grey lenses, the amber/blue ones are for driving and fishing)

If you are going to do an extended winter trip where snow glare is a concern, or if you plan to hike out west where the trails are exposed where you plan to wear sunglasses all day for multiple days in a row, then investing in a more expensive pair of optically correct pair of sunglasses might be worth it. The big difference is that the lenses in the cheap ones aren't quite perfect and will cause eye strain/will make your head hurt after wearing them for an extended time.

I wouldn't worry so much about brand, instead find a place that has a knowledgeable person and ask them what is in the market that will meet your needs and are durable enough to deal with hiking. After that it's a matter of what will fit your face correctly. I've had surprisingly good luck finding knowledgeable salespeople people at fishing outfitters, since fishing guides take sunglasses very seriously.

RCBear
08-04-2013, 10:34
hit that trail a-runnin' and try to beat the masses and go get yourself some cheap sunglasses

KK, i'm convinced from your profile pic that 1/3 of the band decided to retire to the trails.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2013, 10:35
Ironman Polorized

http://www.amazon.com/IronMan-Ironman-Driven-Polarized-Sunglasses/dp/B00843V8FQ

MuddyWaters
08-04-2013, 10:38
No sunglasses.
Maybe above treeline with snow.

Slo-go'en
08-04-2013, 11:00
I can't hike with sun glasses. They distort my depth perception to the extent that if I have to look where to place my feet, I fall over. On flat, level ground, no problem - I don't have to look at my feet. I don't know if it's the polarization or if the perscription was messed up that causes the problem.

If that isn't a problem for you, I'd go with cheap ones, or you might be like the guy who left his expensive shades on top of his pack which walked away while he was in a store shopping....

fredmugs
08-04-2013, 11:01
A hundred pairs of cheap Walmart glasses. Sunglasses are my most lost and broken piece of gear. I only take them now on western or snow trips.

Same here. I only buy sunglasses from the dollar store.

johnnybgood
08-04-2013, 12:57
Agree with Slo-go'-on . I wear sunglasses while driving to the trailhead, but leave them in the car once there. Hard to navigate roots and see potential foot placement with sunglasses on .

jimmyjam
08-04-2013, 16:49
12 dollar pr from wally world because they are going to break hiking

atraildreamer
08-04-2013, 18:19
Sunglasses can be a problem if you have to wear regular glasses. I never liked the clip-on sunglasses (too heavy), but I found these at Walgreens. They are very lightweight and work very well. They slip behind your regular lenses. Under $3.

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2013, 19:43
i use these at work and they work great on hiking trips too,i bought my last 2 pair's at Menard's
equipment rental place's will have good selections too
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/safety-equipment/bear-kat-grey-lens-safety-glasses/p-1861581-c-12170.htm

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2013, 19:44
super light weight & pretty tough & durable

Dharma Dog
08-04-2013, 21:31
That's easy....Smith Optics.
Tried many different brands over the years of hiking and mountain biking and Smiths are the best, IMHO.
Buy quality and cry only once.

Dutch1976
08-05-2013, 12:21
I figured sunglasses would be very important..I never wear a hat, so I'm always wearing them. I was planning on buying a wide brimmed hat for the hike, but it didn't dawn on me that I might not need sunglasses. I agree with "one less thing to worry about" tho'. Thanks!

I was suppose to do a chunk of the PCT this year and it didn't work out. My plan as of now is to tackle the John Muir Trail next year.

hikerboy57
08-05-2013, 12:25
the longevity of sunglasses is inversely proportionate to the price.

Ktaadn
08-05-2013, 12:53
Julbo Nomad

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 13:55

KK you're sportin' that beard and channeling ZZ....LOVE IT! And I totally agree. Sunglasses for me are an absolute must in most cases, and the darker the better. But on the trail they're just an unnecessary nuisance. So I found some at Wally World in the fishing dept next to camping that are dark, polarized and under $5.....so who cares if I drop, lose or destroy them. With reasonable care (I keep them in a lightweight spandex no-show sock from an old pair in my side pouch to prevent scratches) they'll do the job if I find an area without shade or in town.