PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest a hike...

Second Half
08-04-2013, 18:47
...with specific criteria.

I can take a week off work anytime from Sept 23 thru the end of October (a 6-week window), my choice. With weekends included, minus travel time, I'm looking at a 8-9 day hike covering 100 miles or so. Here's my ideal rules:

Logistics dictate the hike be somewhere between the northern third of VA through VT, except for PA between Boiling Springs and DWG (area I've pretty much covered already).
Easy to moderately strenuous terrain. I'm not afraid of some climbs but I'm also not in top trail shape.
Lots of views.
Leaf color would be great.
Understanding there's no guarantees, I'd prefer crisp cool fall weather with no snow or extended sub-freezing temps.

Given these ground rules, what section and what week would you suggest?

TIA for any/all suggestions!

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 19:12
Wow... that's a tough one.

The peak leaf season in VA varies from year to year. Where did you leave off in VA?? The northern third?? Where is that exactly?? I've heard CT is a nice state to hike through...

Second Half
08-04-2013, 19:39
HikerMom: I haven't done any of VA yet. I'm just looking for a 100-mile stretch that would suit my needs. For a weeklong hike it doesn't make sense to drive more than 5 hours or so, which based on where I live would put me somewhere in the vicinity of Staunton heading south. Heading north I could get well into Vermont. Thanks!

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 20:05
Got ya Second Half... :) I'm sure suggestions will start pouring in for you. I'm not good at suggesting hikes, unfortunately, unless they are in my area of Roanoke VA. My daughter loved CT. It will be fun to see what kind of suggestions you will receive. :)

fiddlehead
08-04-2013, 21:01
Why not do the top half of the Long Trail?
Or, if piecing the AT together is your goal, the bottom (southern) half.
Vermont should be beautiful at that time.
Years ago, the ALDHA gatherings were held every other year at nearby Hanover NH (just across the river from VT) and the leaves were at their peak normally around president's day (Oct 12)
The further north you go, the wilder the AT gets. (same with the long trail)
Have fun.

johnnybgood
08-04-2013, 21:28
If you want scenic fall views then come to Virginia's Pedlar District along the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
Start at Rockfish Gap, northern end of the BRP , hike south to the James River Footbridge, 78 miles total miles.

This section is both scenic with some moderately challenging ascents to 4,000 balds offering open meadows with gentle breezes.

Third week of October would likely be the best time , affording the best bet for fall colors.

excuses
08-04-2013, 21:41
PenMar to Front Royal, 95 miles. You get Maryland, West Virginia and a bit of Virginia. There's Harpers Ferry and the Roller Coaster along with Bear's Den.

Spirit Walker
08-04-2013, 23:21
The week after the Gathering, hike the trail through the Shenandoahs. That's about 100 miles, and is high enough the leaves are usually turning nicely then. We usually drive the Blue Ridge Pkwy when we go to the southern Gathering, and the leaves are always better on the way home. Massachusetts is also prime at that time.

Second Half
08-08-2013, 22:13
Thanks for the suggestions! I've put in for vacation the week of Oct. 14. I'm thinking of taking excuses suggestion and doing PennMar to Front Royal. Perhaps it's a week or 2 early for the best fall color but I like the looks of this hike. If anyone wants to tag along PM me, or perhaps I'll start a new thread in the "Hooking Up" forum. Thanks!