PDA

View Full Version : Logistics ? for start at Pearisburg in October

Drybones
08-04-2013, 20:35
If all goes according to plan I will start back on the AT at Pearisburg this October. I'm trying to determine how to get there: 1) Fly into Roanoke and get a shuttle to the trail and fly home after the hike. 2) Drive to Pearisburg if I can find long term parking for my vehicle in or near Pearisburg and catch a bus back to Pearisburg at the end of the hike. I would prefer to drive up if the details could be worked out. Anyone have suggestion? Thanks.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 20:38
Me me me!!! I can help you out Drybones. Drive to Pearisburg... leave ur car there. Hike to your stopping point. I will drive you back to your car at the end of your hike... one small question? How far are you planning on hiking from Pearisburg??

Drybones
08-04-2013, 20:54
Me me me!!! I can help you out Drybones. Drive to Pearisburg... leave ur car there. Hike to your stopping point. I will drive you back to your car at the end of your hike... one small question? How far are you planning on hiking from Pearisburg??

I'd like to complete VA if the knees will be in agreement. Really looking forward to seeing the fall colors and eating at the Home Place again. I truely appreciate your offer. I could catch a bus to Roanoke after the hike. Biggest issue I see is finding long term parking in Pearisburg.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 21:14
I'd like to complete VA if the knees will be in agreement. Really looking forward to seeing the fall colors and eating at the Home Place again. I truely appreciate your offer. I could catch a bus to Roanoke after the hike. Biggest issue I see is finding long term parking in Pearisburg.

Maybe if you contact Woods Hole Hostel, they would know where you could park or the shuttle guy Don that is based out of Pearisburg. You could catch a bus to Roanoke, that works. I'll get you back to your car from there....:)

I'll eat at the Homeplace with ya..DB... I bet we could talk DH into eating there as well.. :)

Malto
08-04-2013, 21:18
Don Raines (540-921-7433) is the shuttle that runs out of Pearisburg, highly reco. I would also contact the hostel located outside of Catawba about parking there.

Drybones
08-04-2013, 21:19
Maybe if you contact Woods Hole Hostel, they would know where you could park or the shuttle guy Don that is based out of Pearisburg. You could catch a bus to Roanoke, that works. I'll get you back to your car from there....:)

Thanks a bunch Mom...I'll try to contact Don Rains (?) in Pearisburg next week and see what he thinks. Thanks again.

HikerMom58
08-04-2013, 21:22
Don Raines (540-921-7433) is the shuttle that runs out of Pearisburg, highly reco. I would also contact the hostel located outside of Catawba about parking there.

Thanks Malto... that's the guy Don Raines.. I've heard nothing but good things about him. :)

Thanks a bunch Mom...I'll try to contact Don Rains (?) in Pearisburg next week and see what he thinks. Thanks again.

Your welcome!! Can't wait to meet ya!! :)

Alligator
08-04-2013, 21:22
Thanks a bunch Mom...I'll try to contact Don Rains (?) in Pearisburg next week and see what he thinks. Thanks again.He's on WB, ratfaceraines.

Drybones
08-04-2013, 21:32

Thanks Malto, I had Don's card but lost it, Don gave me a ride to the Roanoke airport this spring when I had to go home, I'll give him a call next week.

Drybones
08-04-2013, 21:33
He's on WB, ratfaceraines.

Thanks Gator.

bigcranky
08-04-2013, 21:34
I'd +1 on calling Woods Hole about parking. I'd want to spend the night, too, since it was one of the nicest places I've ever stayed.

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 08:04
If you end your hike near me, I could probably get you back to Roanoke or Pearisburg if need be. :)

Gene Parmesan
08-05-2013, 19:57
HI...hopefully I can jump in here for some additional advice. I have decided to hike from Pearisburg to Daleville/Troutville in mid Sept and was hoping to park in the Daleville area and shuttle down to Pearisburg to start...spending the night at Woods Hole before heading out. Is there a good parking/shuttle option out of the Daleville area?

Thanks

bigcranky
08-05-2013, 20:03
We parked in the big shopping center lot at the outfitter/grocery store. Seemed safe. We got a ride from the outfitter but there are others.

Great section, by the way! Really pretty. Lots of climbs, though, as the trail runs perpendicular to all the ridgelines :).

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 20:08
HI...hopefully I can jump in here for some additional advice. I have decided to hike from Pearisburg to Daleville/Troutville in mid Sept and was hoping to park in the Daleville area and shuttle down to Pearisburg to start...spending the night at Woods Hole before heading out. Is there a good parking/shuttle option out of the Daleville area?

Thanks

Sure... There's a park & ride right close to where the trail hits 220 in Daleville.

If you want too, you could leave your car at my house if you are going to need a shuttle to Pearisburg, I believe I could help you out. Mid- September would work for me- I"ll be around. :)

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 20:10

I'll eat at the Homeplace with ya..DB... I bet we could talk DH into eating there as well.. :)

You wont have to twist my arm.

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 20:15
You wont have to twist my arm.

OK then, let's go! I wonder how many Wber's we can meet up with to eat at the Homeplace?? You are hooked now for sure!! :) It's the ultimate in the "southern experience." Southern cooking with a southern accent as one of the sides. ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 20:27
Sure... There's a park & ride right close to where the trail hits 220 in Daleville.

If you want too, you could leave your car at my house if you are going to need a shuttle to Pearisburg, I believe I could help you out. Mid- September would work for me- I"ll be around. :)

Why yes, I believe you will be around...unless of course you're out playing with us! :) Getting excited!

And we're definitely down for dinner at The Homeplace!

Drybones
08-05-2013, 20:27
Thanks to all for the input and a special thanks to those volunteering help. Don Raines has been gracious and looks like he can help with all my logistics needs including parking. Mom and Deer Hunter...I would like to meet you guys when I get to your kneck of the woods if possible.

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 20:49
Why yes, I believe you will be around...unless of course you're out playing with us! :) Getting excited!

And we're definitely down for dinner at The Homeplace!

Of course I'll be around!! ;) Getting excited too. Deer Hunter should know about Foamhendge... I know where it is too. I've never been there. Can I tag along with you and Snacktime?? Homeplace is a given! :D

Thanks to all for the input and a special thanks to those volunteering help. Don Raines has been gracious and looks like he can help with all my logistics needs including parking. Mom and Deer Hunter...I would like to meet you guys when I get to your kneck of the woods if possible.

I've heard all good things about Don Raines... good to know you connected with him! :)

Absolutely you will meet up with us, DB, I'm looking forward to it!! We gotta do the Homeplace too if you like that kind of food. :)
I'll PM you my cell # so you can call or text me anytime on trail. This is exciting!!