PDA

View Full Version : section hiking questions

ocourse
08-02-2005, 17:40
When section hiking the A.T. along the Skyline Drive in the SNP;

Is there a fee to park? Is there still an entrance fee? We will have as many as 3 vehicles in various spots, as some in the party will have to leave the trail for home before others.

Are there designated parking spots, or can you simply get off the road and park?

kncats
08-03-2005, 07:22
There is an entrance fee to the park. However, depending on what time you get arrive there may not be any one at the gate to collect it. My wife and I have an annual pass but we have never shown it to get in. You may not park along the side of Skyline Drive, but can at any of the pull offs or designated parking areas. At most of the places where the AT crosses the drive there is some place legal to park. We've never had any problem leaving our truck parked for multiple nights.

You need to fill out a backcountry pass when you enter the park. There may or may not be any blank ones at the gate. The pass has a place on it to say what type of vehicle you have and where you are starting/ending/staying. If there aren't any at the gate you will have to go to one of the ranger locations to get one and fill it out. They don't usually open until 8:00. The park service rangers have been known to go out to the shelters and camping spots in the evenings to check for passes.

ocourse
08-03-2005, 18:39
Thanks kncats!

There is an entrance fee to the park. However, depending on what time you get arrive there may not be any one at the gate to collect it. My wife and I have an annual pass but we have never shown it to get in. You may not park along the side of Skyline Drive, but can at any of the pull offs or designated parking areas. At most of the places where the AT crosses the drive there is some place legal to park. We've never had any problem leaving our truck parked for multiple nights.

You need to fill out a backcountry pass when you enter the park. There may or may not be any blank ones at the gate. The pass has a place on it to say what type of vehicle you have and where you are starting/ending/staying. If there aren't any at the gate you will have to go to one of the ranger locations to get one and fill it out. They don't usually open until 8:00. The park service rangers have been known to go out to the shelters and camping spots in the evenings to check for passes.