PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking 2014 with children want advice

FatherGrizzly
08-05-2013, 12:27
This seemed like the best place to put this so if I am in the wrong fourm please tell me where it should go.

I am planning a seciton hike of the AT next summer with my kids. Currently the plan is to do CT, MA, and VT. We live in VT and this will make resupply and stuff easier for the kids first outing of this magnitude. I personally have a lot of experience back counry bacpacking out west, but not very much in the east. I would like some tips and advice on things to consider for not just hiking the AT, but doing it with kids.

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 12:30
Aww... sweet! How old are your kids? Just curious....

FatherGrizzly
08-05-2013, 12:44
At the time of the hike they will be thirteen, eleven, and eight and three quarters (that three quarters is very important to her so don't laugh)

Slo-go'en
08-05-2013, 13:19
I think the most important thing is to make sure the kids have gear which fits them. Especially the youngest. I've seen kids with hand me down or really cheap and heavy gear having a heck of a time with it and that distracts from the experinace.

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 13:23
At the time of the hike they will be thirteen, eleven, and eight and three quarters (that three quarters is very important to her so don't laugh)

LOL... I'm not laughing at her... I remember feeling that way... that will change. ;) They will enjoy this experience with you so very much.

I can't speak to hiking on the trail with children, myself, but Teacher&Snacktime ( WB member) hikes with her 11 year old grandson. I know she will give you some good tips when she sees your thread.

Welcome to WB. Nice to have you here!!

Malto
08-05-2013, 13:36
You may have already done this but I would definitely take them out for a couple of overnighter prior to the trip with the full gear and weight you are expecting to carry. I would also plan on stopping in towns, even briefly, a bit more frequently than you would be inclined to do on your own. Have fun, they will likely remember this experience for the rest of their lives.

FatherGrizzly
08-05-2013, 13:37
Slo-go-en'

Thank you for your response and yes I plan on making sure we get well fitting gear for each of the kids and will be having them use it for the rest of the summer, the fall, and then again in the spring as we all train for the trip. I am very curious as to particular outfitters that might have special gear for kids.

HikerMonk:

Thaks for your input and thank you for your welcome. I can't wait to hear the wisdom Teacher&Snacktime has to share.

FatherGrizzly
08-05-2013, 13:38
You may have already done this but I would definitely take them out for a couple of overnighter prior to the trip with the full gear and weight you are expecting to carry. I would also plan on stopping in towns, even briefly, a bit more frequently than you would be inclined to do on your own. Have fun, they will likely remember this experience for the rest of their lives.

Yes that is indeed the plan. They have camped before but I have never loaded em for bear so to speak. One of the reasons we are doing the CT, MA, VT run is it is close to family so stopping and resuplly in towns witll be easier which should make my life and their expreince easier...

FarmerChef
08-05-2013, 13:57
I have been section hiking the AT with my kids since they were 6, 9 and 11. They are now 8, 11 and almost 13 and have completed almost 3/4ths of the trail. My experience is by no means extensive, it's just unique to my kids and their gender/ages/temperaments/likes/dislikes, etc. All that is to say, I have a lot of experience which you are welcome to but I'll keep it short here.

Your kids will love this experience with you, though it might not be until later. Remember it's the hard times on vacation and unexpected challenges that make for the most memorable ones. My kids can barely remember the uneventful hikes. For that matter, neither can I without reading my journal.

Have a destination in mind. Just as Slo mentions, kids like the idea of getting somewhere. It can be an awesome waterfall to play in, a cool view that's a little scary (like their first cliff), a town to have pizza or subs in, a lake to swim in, you get the idea. For some reason, my kids don't enjoy the beauty of nature nearly as much as my wife and I do. Go figure. We'd love to just sit and stare at the waterfall. They'd rather throw sticks in the water and watch them go over. Help each day to have a special something and it will go well with them.

Also, keep the kids pack weight light and make sure it fits comfortably. Definitely get out on a test hike or two if possible before you go. It gets everybody used to what it feels like. Our first test hikes always ended with ice cream or pizza. The kids new it and it made a big difference in how they viewed the outing.

I know I'll get flack for this one ;): campfires are what make the outdoor experience for kids. They just are mesmerized by fire. Obviously, we all have to do that responsibly but it is a huge morale boost and there's nothing like being out with your dad with molten gobs of flaming marshmallow hanging precariously off the end of a stick. You can buy a smile like that.

People you'll meet: by far and away the thing my kids love to talk about the most are the people they meet on the trail. It's a whole new universe of relationships and experiences they're not used to in their limited world of local geography. They've met people from all over the world in every walk of life and socio economic status. It's like being a globetrotter with just a few miles every day.

As for the AT in general. When we hiked CT and MA it was really hot and really muggy. It was one of the worst week's of hiking we've had on the trail. When we hiked Vermont it was cool but muddy. We still had a blast. But with both hikes, the terrain was more apt to chew you up and spit you out with medium to big climbs followed by quick descents and more of the same all day. Don't let this deter you! There's plenty of flattish spaces in between and lots of cool things in each state. I still remember getting water from the side of a hydroelectric plant next to a river with kayakers in it. Too cool! There's plenty of long walks along the Housatonic. Ice Gulch was one of the spookiest and spectacular shelter stays we had. And so much more. It's a tremendous world of new experiences and, with the right attitudes, will be a world of new and wonderful memories for your kids and you! Have fun!

p.s. Feel free to PM me for more information if you'd like. There's much more I can share that's particular to our family's style of hiking but not necessarily the way you would or should approach yours.

Nodust
08-05-2013, 14:34
Slo-go-en'

Thank you for your response and yes I plan on making sure we get well fitting gear for each of the kids and will be having them use it for the rest of the summer, the fall, and then again in the spring as we all train for the trip. I am very curious as to particular outfitters that might have special gear for kids.

HikerMonk:

Thaks for your input and thank you for your welcome. I can't wait to hear the wisdom Teacher&Snacktime has to share.

I've been looking for a backpack for my 10 yo son. He is really short 50". All he ones that fit him are 3 pounds or more. I may just get him a hydration pack and take the bladder out. They seam to be lighter than most "kids" backpacks. He won't need to carry more than about 7 pounds not including pack.

But if you find something let us know.

FatherGrizzly
08-05-2013, 14:38
I've been looking for a backpack for my 10 yo son. He is really short 50". All he ones that fit him are 3 pounds or more. I may just get him a hydration pack and take the bladder out. They seam to be lighter than most "kids" backpacks. He won't need to carry more than about 7 pounds not including pack.

Yeah my youngest is really small too so I am sure finding a backpack for her is going to be a challenge. I have considered using a school type back or a day hiking pack for her since these are lightweight but there is a durability concern. If I do find something I will certainly let you know, though am wondering if I might just not have her pack anything (she is barely forty pounds in weight so even if i give her ten pounds that's a quarter her body weight.. ouch)

FarmerChef
08-05-2013, 14:42

Originally, my son used an REI Sprig (when he was 6). It fit just right and could hold his sleeping bag, changes of clothes and a 1.5 liter camelback that he just loved as it made him just like the big kids. Of course he kept chewing the bit valve off. But you can't have everything ;)

Now that he's 8, we've upgraded him to a Deuter Junior (http://www.rei.com/product/780520/deuter-junior-pack). We initially tried him on our kids Deuter Fox 30s with the adjustable torso but they were still too big for him, even on the smallest setting. The Junior seems to be just the right size and will fit his winter gear. Unfortunately, it does not fit a hydration pack so it's back to bottles for him. He doesn't miss it that much, though. So not too big a loss. He's just completed about 180 miles of VT and NH with it and it's held up very well. We'll be tackling the Whites next week so we'll really put it through it's paces. If interested, I can report back but I'm assuming it will do just fine.

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 14:49
Aww...:datz How could I forget about Farmerchef hiking with his kids?? .. Sorry FC. :( Glad you saw this thread! :) Love the latest pics of your last hike with the fam... they were GREAT!! :)

FarmerChef
08-05-2013, 14:54
Aww...:datz How could I forget about Farmerchef hiking with his kids?? .. Sorry FC. :( Glad you saw this thread! :) Love the latest pics of your last hike with the fam... they were GREAT!! :)

Hey. No worries HM. I love threads with folks taking their kids out hiking :D And the kids had a great time on that hike. I still love the laugh that BMW made when my daughter described her plans for a Schnitzel truck with Schnitzel-on-a-stick. Too funny. :p

Nodust
08-05-2013, 15:09
Originally, my son used an REI Sprig (when he was 6). It fit just right and could hold his sleeping bag, changes of clothes and a 1.5 liter camelback that he just loved as it made him just like the big kids. Of course he kept chewing the bit valve off. But you can't have everything ;)

Now that he's 8, we've upgraded him to a Deuter Junior (http://www.rei.com/product/780520/deuter-junior-pack). We initially tried him on our kids Deuter Fox 30s with the adjustable torso but they were still too big for him, even on the smallest setting. The Junior seems to be just the right size and will fit his winter gear. Unfortunately, it does not fit a hydration pack so it's back to bottles for him. He doesn't miss it that much, though. So not too big a loss. He's just completed about 180 miles of VT and NH with it and it's held up very well. We'll be tackling the Whites next week so we'll really put it through it's paces. If interested, I can report back but I'm assuming it will do just fine.

8 pounds total is about all I want him to carry. We are planning on hiking the Ga portion next year. Got some friends near Atlanta and the Mrs can stay with them and be shuttle for us. Got a few two and three night trips in the planning to get ready.

Thanks for all the info.

flemdawg1
08-05-2013, 16:04
As a Dad that likes section hikes and occesionally brings the kids with me, I'll tell you its a completely different ballgame with the kids.

Find something "cool" for everyday. Kids need entertainment besides the pleasure of exertion. Keep the miles low, schedule time for fun. Pack the marshmallows and firestarter for smores. Don't overload them, you're the packmule Dad. The best times on our recent Shenandoah trip were: the ripe raspberries next to the trail, stopping streamside for a break and the kids collecting dozens of earthworms (these are ballet princess girls that also love frogs, bugs and worms, so funny), them wading in the cool mountain stream we camped by, climbing the Blackrocks. Seeing semi-tame deer upclose, seeing a black bear. Eat the junk food that you normally wouldn't let them have (for us that's box Mac-n-cheese, ice cream (whenever we crossed a place to get some) and donuts).

To have an enjoyable trip, be prepared to throw your itinerary away. Keep the shuttle phone list handy, so you can change plans as needed.

Also plan your trip for when the weather isn't too hot. The fatal flaw to my itinerary was scheduling 10-12 mile days in 90 degree heat. We just weren't able to maintain a good walking pace at those temps. After 2 days, we chucked the miles of backpacking for more relaxed dayhiking and car camping.

FatherGrizzly
08-05-2013, 18:46
As a Dad that likes section hikes and occesionally brings the kids with me, I'll tell you its a completely different ballgame with the kids.

Find something "cool" for everyday. Kids need entertainment besides the pleasure of exertion. Keep the miles low, schedule time for fun. Pack the marshmallows and firestarter for smores. Don't overload them, you're the packmule Dad. The best times on our recent Shenandoah trip were: the ripe raspberries next to the trail, stopping streamside for a break and the kids collecting dozens of earthworms (these are ballet princess girls that also love frogs, bugs and worms, so funny), them wading in the cool mountain stream we camped by, climbing the Blackrocks. Seeing semi-tame deer upclose, seeing a black bear. Eat the junk food that you normally wouldn't let them have (for us that's box Mac-n-cheese, ice cream (whenever we crossed a place to get some) and donuts).

To have an enjoyable trip, be prepared to throw your itinerary away. Keep the shuttle phone list handy, so you can change plans as needed.

Also plan your trip for when the weather isn't too hot. The fatal flaw to my itinerary was scheduling 10-12 mile days in 90 degree heat. We just weren't able to maintain a good walking pace at those temps. After 2 days, we chucked the miles of backpacking for more relaxed dayhiking and car camping.

That will probably be the biggest challenge for me is remembering that the kids are probably not going to enjoy the hike for the sake of the scenery and the challenge it presents, thank you for that wisdom. I did plan to keep the mileage low and will have a phone list handy for days that look to be to much. Currently the trip is planed to start in the middle of June which here in VT is actualy a very cool time of year and we should be done around the middle of July which is hot but my thinking is they will have a chance to grow acustomed to the heat, but we will see.

You mention not overloading them, I ma curious about how much weight you gave your kids? Also I do want them to experience the work it takes to backpack but not break their courage, any advice on this?

flemdawg1
08-06-2013, 17:19
That will probably be the biggest challenge for me is remembering that the kids are probably not going to enjoy the hike for the sake of the scenery and the challenge it presents, thank you for that wisdom. I did plan to keep the mileage low and will have a phone list handy for days that look to be to much. Currently the trip is planed to start in the middle of June which here in VT is actualy a very cool time of year and we should be done around the middle of July which is hot but my thinking is they will have a chance to grow acustomed to the heat, but we will see.

You mention not overloading them, I ma curious about how much weight you gave your kids? Also I do want them to experience the work it takes to backpack but not break their courage, any advice on this?

I simply gave them a daypack with their sleeping bag, a half ccf pad, clothes and a small water bottle/platy for the 7 and 9yo (2lb pack + 2lb bag + 4oz pad + 1.5lb clothes(rain jacket, pants, shirt, 2 pr socks, 2 pr undies, swimsuit) + 12oz of water= 7.5lb). I think the important thing is again to keep it light and fun but also not let them completely drag to a halt. But always keep your cool. Miles ain't everything, this is quality time with your kids that they (or you) will never forget. Smiles more important than miles. Only use the drill sgt technique when absolutely nessascary (thunderstorm on a bald).

FatherGrizzly
08-06-2013, 22:48
I simply gave them a daypack with their sleeping bag, a half ccf pad, clothes and a small water bottle/platy for the 7 and 9yo (2lb pack + 2lb bag + 4oz pad + 1.5lb clothes(rain jacket, pants, shirt, 2 pr socks, 2 pr undies, swimsuit) + 12oz of water= 7.5lb). I think the important thing is again to keep it light and fun but also not let them completely drag to a halt. But always keep your cool. Miles ain't everything, this is quality time with your kids that they (or you) will never forget. Smiles more important than miles. Only use the drill sgt technique when absolutely nessascary (thunderstorm on a bald).

Thank you for that advice and yeah, I will do my best to keep in mind smiles are more important than miles. This should actually be easy for me because my natrual hiking pace is a mozy in the first place.

gsingjane
08-07-2013, 08:08
The above posters have interesting ideas and good advice. One salient issue with younger kids is that, unlike adults, when they're done, they're done. In other words, a kid of age 7 or 8 might start off like a rocket, scrambling way ahead of you, tearing up the trail... and then when he or she gets tired, it's time to sit down in the middle of the trail and refuse to move another foot. It doesn't matter that there really isn't any alternative at that point to moving forward, the kid doesn't see it that way and the "magical thinking" that somehow things will change, sets in. I found this very hard to deal with!

We enjoyed playing word games, singing from time to time, gossiping and speculating about other hikers we met, and looking forward to town meals. But backpacking with children is an inherently difficult and challenging activity. I would definitely plan on reciting the Serenity Prayer approximately 34 times per day.

(Just as a quick aside, and not to be corrective at all, but I am sure you will want to model good trail stewardship to your kids and be aware that there IS an open fire/campfire ban in CT. I know how much fun it is to have a fire, with kids, but you will want to make sure they understand that they're also governed by the rules.)

Jane

CB1821
08-07-2013, 09:49
In addition to some of the really good points that other people have mentioned, we also try to do two other things when we are planning to take trips with our kids. Nothing ever works exactly as planned or as we would like ;) but for us doing these things seem to help everything better all the way around J.

Buy In – we always try to get our kids to buy into/take ownership of family outings. Although as parents we usually are the ones that decide on what we are doing/where we are going on “big” trips (though they have been included in those decisions as well), we try and give the kids a measure of control and some decision making authority that is appropriate for their age/maturity level. We also make sure to involve them in the planning process.

For example, with the last trip with my son, I made sure to include him when deciding where we would start our 7+ day hike on the AT, what our daily mileage goals would be, what food and equipment we would take, ect…. That even extended to researching things that we both were not familiar with but wanted to do/try. So for example he researched the PCT Bear Bag hanging method, put the necessary equipment together, and practiced it. And rather than just pack his backpack for him, I asked him if he would make a list of what he thought he should take. That led him to asking/discussions about weight considerations, necessary vs. luxury items, and all those other backpacking issues that are all part of planning for a backpacking trip. Doing all this as on "equal footing" (though I do keep veto power - although I can remember the last time I used it with him) rather than me giving him a “so you need to do this and think about this” kind of lecture seemed to work well. In the end he made really good choices that worked nicely for him (although they might not have always been the same ones I would have made) and was more excited about going than even I was.

Our goal has always been to try and have our kids invested in/excited about what we are doing, be actively engaged (rather than passive participants/observers), and for them to have the opportunity to learn how to plan and organize for themselves. So far that has worked.

Mental Preparation – yep, hiking trips can be tough. We always mention the negative (if you want to call it that) aspects with the kids (as well as the positive) prior to doing anything. It doesn’t always eliminate discontent/whining (my daughter will always complain on the steep climbs, as do I :)) but they do not have unrealistic expectations and are at least mentally prepared and ready for the uncomfortable/tough parts.

Have a great time.

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 10:12
Important - if they stop having fun and you find yourself forcing them to hike, quit the hike. Trust me on this.

FatherGrizzly
08-07-2013, 16:58
The above posters have interesting ideas and good advice. One salient issue with younger kids is that, unlike adults, when they're done, they're done. In other words, a kid of age 7 or 8 might start off like a rocket, scrambling way ahead of you, tearing up the trail... and then when he or she gets tired, it's time to sit down in the middle of the trail and refuse to move another foot. It doesn't matter that there really isn't any alternative at that point to moving forward, the kid doesn't see it that way and the "magical thinking" that somehow things will change, sets in. I found this very hard to deal with!

We enjoyed playing word games, singing from time to time, gossiping and speculating about other hikers we met, and looking forward to town meals. But backpacking with children is an inherently difficult and challenging activity. I would definitely plan on reciting the Serenity Prayer approximately 34 times per day.

(Just as a quick aside, and not to be corrective at all, but I am sure you will want to model good trail stewardship to your kids and be aware that there IS an open fire/campfire ban in CT. I know how much fun it is to have a fire, with kids, but you will want to make sure they understand that they're also governed by the rules.)

Jane

Thanks for the response and yes I probably will be dealing with the serinity prayer a lot. I wanted to say that I have no intention of disobeying any bans or park regultions agianst campfires. I like them and they will be a treat for the kids, but while I like campfires I also strongly believe in LNT and want to pass that on to my kids as well.. thanks for letting me know about that ban ahead of time though :)

trublu
08-07-2013, 18:07
My kids and I have been section hiking the AT for years now. Memories of them singing harmony in the rain at the top of Killington, leaving little poems in the trail logs, stopping in awe of a newt, are as awesome as the teamwork when one was injured, when we needed to go off trail and REALLY use a compass to get to safety, and the time they sang me up the mountain when my arthritis just took over my limbs. There is no replacement for these memories. These trips mean more to us than anything. It is never about the destination but the adventure of exploring nature as a team. Some things that works for us is having each person with a job on each trip and switching jobs the next trip. This ownership increases teamwork and allows them to appreciate each other. Sometimes it was pretrip planning, navigation, food prep , water collection, setting upbthe tent,, etc. Pack size and weight : very important. Good sleeping gear: very important. Curiosity about nature: very important. Tenacity and patience: also valuable. Sense of humor and songs to sing:
. . .super important. I hope your experience on AT as wonderful as ours. Good Luck !