PDA

View Full Version : JMT planning for 2015

garyp
08-05-2013, 19:47
I am starting to plan a trip for conducting the entire JMT. I am wondering on how to plan for it? Does any one have any suggestions? I am thinking I would love to do it in 20 days. I picked 20 days so I could have a few days of nothing except fishing in the high sierra's or kicking it by a lake, creed etc. Does any one have any experience on this?

verysimple
08-05-2013, 19:49
Pm me. I put together a decent guide, while researching. You can do it in 12-14 days easily, if you are in decent shape.
Lets do it in 2014!

Malto
08-05-2013, 20:52
Pm me. I put together a decent guide, while researching. You can do it in 12-14 days easily, if you are in decent shape.
Lets do it in 2014!

I hope your planning is better than your advice. You better be in darn good shape to do that JMT in 12 days easily. Just curious, have you done it at that pace or did your spreadsheet tell you that 12 days was easy?

verysimple
08-05-2013, 20:55
Check out johnnuirtrail.org and forums. 211 miles, average out 18-20 miles per day.

Sly
08-05-2013, 20:55
What ever way you cut it, 20 days in the High Sierra is better than 12-14 days in the High Sierra. After Labor day is perhaps the best time. (less people, bugs, snow)

Malto
08-05-2013, 21:02
Check out johnnuirtrail.org and forums. 211 miles, average out 18-20 miles per day.

I don't need to check it out, I have hiked it twice. 18-20 miles per day in that terrain and elevation is tough for 90+ % of hikers. Again, just curious if you have "easily" hiked the trail at this pace.

blue indian
08-05-2013, 21:33
I'm planning to do this hike next summer with my cousin and have been looking for some good guides and advise as well.

Any good forums or hard literature that anyone prefers or found more useful than others?

Malto
08-05-2013, 21:44
Very simple, sorry, bit cranky this evening.

to the OP,
your plan sounds wonderful and there are plenty of places to explore, kick back or fish. To start
1) go here and print out Halfmiles maps for section H. Even if you use something else this is free and helpful. http://www.pctmap.net/download/mapdl.html.
2) you will need a bear canister or rent one, and it will need to fit in our pack comfortably. Bear canisters are required in Yosemite and further down in Kings Canyon. You can hang overflow food that doesn't fit into your canister after resupply ung at VVR or MTR. Learn how to do a Proper bear hang using the PCT method, go to YouTube.
3) resupplies were covered at length on another thread within this sub forum.
4) some recommended fishing spots. Sallie Keys Lakes. (The fish wait in line to be caught). Evolution Lake. One of my personal favorites. Seems to be a lot of fish, most of them seem smaller. This area is so gorgeous that you will enjoy it even if you don't catch much. Another secret spot. Just before evolution lake is a side trail heading north into Darwin Bench. It is fabulous. Yet another furth north is Eliza Lake and Minaret Lake. Very cool.
5) bugs. If you want to stop and relax or fish I would pick later in the season, likely mid August through September. My favorite time is September, less bugs, less people and usually great weather. Depending on the year, July can be a bug fest. It can be very bad. I also would not plan June or early July unless it ends up being a low snow year. On a bad snow year you could have a up to a 90% snow coverage. A light snow year would have little.

that will get you started.

garyp
08-05-2013, 22:14
when you say forums are you refering to these forums?

verysimple
08-05-2013, 22:15
Yes, among others.

DaFireMedic
08-05-2013, 23:12
20 days is a good pace for a first thru-hike of the JMT. 12-14 days would be pretty fast pace for a first time. It can be done, but remember that you are talking about 18-20 mile days, often at 10k+ altitude with significant elevation gains. Again, it can be done, but you need to be prepared and in pretty good shape, otherwise reality will set in on the initial climb out of the valley. Don't set your schedule so tight that you can't enjoy yourself, and make your goals realistic for your experience and fitness level.

The nice thing for you, garyp, is that you live close enough to train in the Sierras, enabling you to get some good hikes in at altitude. Planning your hike for 2015 gives you plenty of time to get ready, you even have plenty of time for 2014 if you wanted to.

This was my best resource for the planning part of it last year (permit process, resupply, itinerary, etc):
http://jmtbook.com/

Backpackinglight.com is a good forum for gear and gearlists. They also have quite a few trip reports, etc. from JMT hikes.

My favorite JMT video, provided a great deal of inspiration for me even though the plan for my hike was much different:
https://vimeo.com/7851505

garyp
08-06-2013, 00:18
i plan on doing a few sections of the pct for practice in 2014. since a few permits require a 1 year advance i will plan for around late aug early sept.

garyp
08-06-2013, 09:06
My favorite JMT video, provided a great deal of inspiration for me even though the plan for my hike was much different:
https://vimeo.com/7851505

that guy is insane. it was cool to watch, but i don't see how he enjoyed the scenery, or the experience. that looked more like he was prepping for a race than on a hike.

Sly
08-06-2013, 09:16
i plan on doing a few sections of the pct for practice in 2014. since a few permits require a 1 year advance i will plan for around late aug early sept.

Unless it's changed apply for the permit 26 weeks to the day beforehand .

http://vimeo.com/28965851

garyp
08-09-2013, 00:33
i am going to do at least two sections of the jmt in 2014. i will be going north to south.
the first one would be from happy isle to reds meadows.
the secound one from reds meadows to some were around bishop. then hike down into bishop and head home.

Dogwood
08-09-2013, 17:30
Just about everyone says the JMT(west coast) is 211 miles. Not true! It's closer to 225. And, that doesn't include possibly hiking in/out to resupply pts. A 12 day JMT thru is generally on the fast side. Personally. I would not do the JMT in that amount of time on your first JMT thru or if it's your first time to the Sierras. Many hiking books rate the JMT as one of the TOP 5 long distance trails in the U.S. It's rated as one of the TOP 3 in scenery and TOP 5 in difficulty. HYOH. I just finished the JMT(east coast). LOL. I much prefer the Cali version. What can I say I'm a fan of Muir.

Berserker
08-19-2013, 13:19
I just got back from doing it in 20 days. That was roughly 17 days of 10 - 14 miles per day, and 3 easier days (days less than 10 miles). I'm in decent condition, and I still found it to be pretty hard. The altitude and grade of certain sections of the trail will get you. Anyway, 20 days is a good schedule in my opinion.

As for planning, I used Erik the Black's JMT atlas to plan. It's pricey, but he has everything laid out in there very nicely. On the trail things didn't go exactly as planned, but you'll make adjustments once you get out there and immerse yourself in the experience.

garyp
08-20-2013, 23:01
thanks, what didn't go as planned?

Berserker
08-21-2013, 09:33
On the trail things didn't go exactly as planned, but you'll make adjustments once you get out there and immerse yourself in the experience.

thanks, what didn't go as planned?
Well, the "things didn't go exactly as planned" statement was maybe a bit of an inaccurate statement. I think what I meant to say there is that I had kinda planned out the daily mileages and destinations, but that all went out the window as soon as I got into the smoke (from the Aspen fire) and altitude. Some days ended up being longer than I planned, and some days shorter. If I had to do it again I would definitely try to work a true 0 day in there as my shortest day was 6 miles. I'll also throw it out there that the unplanned side trip into Mammoth on day 6 was awesome. It's worth the 3 bus rides to stay in a hotel one night and get a break from setting up camp. Plus the pizza joint near the Motel 6 as well as Schat's bakery were awesome.

Venchka
08-21-2013, 10:53
A link or three. For the search hampered.

http://johnmuirtrail.org/

An account of a 30 day trip beginning August 7. Seems reasonable to me if you have the time and like to immerse yourself in your surroundings as opposed flying through.

http://johnmuirtrail.org/

A few notes on gear. Gear is always very personal. It does help to get several sources of information. that way you can either make informed decisions or become hopelessly confused.

http://johnmuirtrail.org/store.html

Another trip report. 20 days. Note various types of shelters used in some of the photos.

http://www.catchafallingstar.com/jmt/johnmuirtrail2003.htm

Various shelters at Marie lake.

I hope this helps.

Wayne

Berserker
08-21-2013, 12:33
Well, the "things didn't go exactly as planned" statement was maybe a bit of an inaccurate statement. I think what I meant to say there is that I had kinda planned out the daily mileages and destinations, but that all went out the window as soon as I got into the smoke (from the Aspen fire) and altitude. Some days ended up being longer than I planned, and some days shorter. If I had to do it again I would definitely try to work a true 0 day in there as my shortest day was 6 miles. I'll also throw it out there that the unplanned side trip into Mammoth on day 6 was awesome. It's worth the 3 bus rides to stay in a hotel one night and get a break from setting up camp. Plus the pizza joint near the Motel 6 as well as Schat's bakery were awesome.
Oh yeah, and I'm not trying to pimp my own trail journal out, but when I get it completed it will be located here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=414703. I'm currently writing it up, and should start putting some entries from the hike out there in a few days.

wornoutboots
09-01-2013, 09:49
I strongly suggest talking to your doctor about altitude sickness & learn breathing techniques. It doesn't seem to bother everyone but it had serious effects on me while I slept over 10,500 feet. I could hike great all day long over passes & in any altitude but when my body was at rest I could not get enough oxygen to feed my body, educate yourself on that & have an Amazing Hike!! The Scenery is none Other!!!

CarlZ993
09-01-2013, 21:59
I did the hike a few years back in 17 days. I should have added an additional day in the first section (I got to Reds Meadows in 4 days). I think 18 days of hiking would be about right. That's about 12 miles a day. Factor in a couple of zero days. You'd end up with 20 days.

You may have to take your zero days in the 1st half of the hike. It's hard to fit your food in your bear canister after Muir Trail Ranch resupply. You got over 100 miles worth of food in your canister for the last 1/2 of the hike.

This is by far the prettiest hike I've taken. You should enjoy it tremendously.

leaftye
09-01-2013, 23:14
Malto's video cracked me up. Most of those hikers removed their boots to cross creeks. You want to add a free mile or two every day? Wear shoes that drain well and walk straight through those creeks with your shoes on without stopping on either side. Hopefully there's less snow at higher elevations and north facing slopes to drag down your mileage.

1Greywolf
09-02-2013, 11:43
I am starting to plan a trip for conducting the entire JMT. I am wondering on how to plan for it? Does any one have any suggestions? I am thinking I would love to do it in 20 days. I picked 20 days so I could have a few days of nothing except fishing in the high sierra's or kicking it by a lake, creed etc. Does any one have any experience on this?

I'm not sure how typical my experiences from hiking the JMT this July are or how they may be useful to you plan your 2015 hike . These are my takeaways:
1) The views were jaw-dropping to the point that they distracted me into loosing the trail.
2) I had Tom Harrison's JMT maps and Elizabeth Wenk's book. Wenk's book (for a guy with ADD) was a wrong choice. The trail info is imbedded with flora and fauna info. It was frustrating and
confusing. I found it easier to id a lodgepole pine from the mountain hemlock by their two-tone needles, than figuring out where the &%$# the trail was going. The maps topographical
features I found too small to ID and use to triangulate my position on the map. This became painfully evident when I needed it the most.
3) Make sure (if you are hiking with a partner/partners) that he/they are as committed as your plan and goal. Also, they should have some backpacking experience.
These two things led to aborting my hike prematurely, at VVR.
4) I had planned for an 18-19 days to complete the hike. In some places I was able to hike 28-29 miles and I'm seventy years old. Mind you, getting out of the valley we did it in three days, to
acclimate and give my, brother-in-law time to adapt. We also hike to Clouds Rest (thank's to Dogwood for suggesting it). I strongly recommend it. 20 days sounds good, not knowing your
hiking ability.
5) Water, water, water. There is plenty, I hiked early July a dry month, descending Donohue Pass the water was jetting out of the rock face, from the above snow banks. It was cold, clear,
sweet, and quenching. I did chem. treat the water in other places.
6) I repeat what has been said, take your time, stop and take deep breaths. Give your senses time to take in and process what's before you.

Our plans fulfills the need to be in control, the trail will wright the real plan.

Have fun.

garyp
09-03-2013, 22:05
I am thinking a few days I will cook some fish for the hike. I plan on bringing my fly gear. it is light and a blast to use.