PDA

View Full Version : Youngest Solo AT Thru-Hiker

Sly
08-05-2013, 21:30
I saw a post on Facebook boasting how well women have been doing lately with the fastest time on the AT and soon to be fastest time on the PCT. Another poster mentioned possible soon to be youngest AT thru-hiker being a girl. Sure enough a Google search turned up Chipmunk, a 15 year old girl.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130628/ARTICLE/130629627?p=1&tc=pg

Does anyone know if any such records are kept? Although she's out there carrying a backpack and appears to be thru-hiking, would being followed by your mom in a camper count?

In '97, I met a couple brothers southbounding at the Trimpi shelter. The oldest was 17, and if I'm not mistaken the younger may have been younger than 15. (I guess that doesn't count for solo) These two were on their own, mature for their age and impressive. If Bob Peoples has a better memory than me he probably recalls their names and exact ages.

Malto
08-05-2013, 22:04
I didn't think she was the youngest thru hiker, I thought she was billed as the youngest SOLO thru hiker. I would love to know just how solo her trip actually was, mom or no mom with camper.

Just Bill
08-05-2013, 22:10
Don't those type of records fall under ATC recordkeeping? They don't acknowledge speed stuff but I would think this should be an official record someplace. Not listed on the website but has to be somewhere if they registered with ATC.

hikerboy57
08-05-2013, 22:22
they may list their age, but theres nothing to distinguish "solo" by the atc. there have been many younger hikers that have finished the trail.and sassafras, 13 yrs old, is back on the trail with her dad, kaboose(known here on wb as mainebob)http://sassafrasandkabooseatadventure.blogspot.com/

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:34
they may list their age, but theres nothing to distinguish "solo" by the atc. there have been many younger hikers that have finished the trail.and sassafras, 13 yrs old, is back on the trail with her dad, kaboose(known here on wb as mainebob)http://sassafrasandkabooseatadventure.blogspot.com/

I wish I'd known about the WB Mainebob name...I'd have put him in the WB member pics instead of the thruhikers.....doesn't really matter I suppose, but I do like these things orderly.....the CDO and all

Just Bill
08-05-2013, 22:36
Teacher- with your CDO- are you able to eat Jelly Belly beans or do all the different colors and flavors make it impossible to sort them so you can consume them in an orderly fashion?

Sly
08-05-2013, 23:55
they may list their age, but theres nothing to distinguish "solo" by the atc.

Actually the only solo listed hiker is Grandma Gatewood

First solo female thru-hiker.
Emma Gatewood, better known as “Grandma Gatewood,” mother of 11 children and grandmother of 23, was 67 when she first hiked the Trail in 1955. In 1957, she completed her second thru-hike at age 69, holding the unofficial title of oldest female thru-hiker for the next 50 years. In 1964, she became the first person to complete the A.T. three time when she finished a section-hike. She was famous for wearing only “Keds” tennis shoes and carrying a small knapsack.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers

Sly
08-05-2013, 23:59
There was an incredibly bright and happy young girl at the April Fools Bash in Franklin this year that was on the trail hiking with her mother (maybe dad too). I can't recall her name right now but she was only 9 or so.

QuabbinHiker
08-06-2013, 03:49
Completely crazy for a young girl 15 years old or younger to solo hike. ( even with mom providing car support Warren Doyle style )
Vast majority of the males get hyper sexual on the trail and at least the 3 of the lone males we met in 2012 would consider her fair game and being to put their pink blazing moves on the minor.

Just Bill
08-06-2013, 07:00
Actually the only solo listed hiker is Grandma Gatewood

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers

Yar- they don't post it- you'd have to call or maybe a WB member that works there can chime in- not an advertised record, but they probably have something. Hiking solo under the age of 18 though doesn't seem like something they'd care to promote and I don't blame them. I'm all for kids on the trail, but I'm with Hikerboy; walking solo and meeting up is a lot different than getting dropped off at springer on day and saying "see you in Maine" to your kid. I did solo hikes and overnighters as young as eleven or twelve- but still...

Red Hat
08-14-2013, 08:54
There is a family with a five year old boy (just turned 5) on the trail trying for the youngest thruhiker title. His name is Christian and he goes by the trailname "Buddy Backpacker". They are heading into the Whites now.

Red Hat
08-14-2013, 09:02
of course, he is not solo... the youngest solo would be Chipmunk right now

max patch
08-14-2013, 09:09
Chipmunk is having a heckuva hike, but when Mom is waiting for you at a trailhead everyday in the family van then Mr Webster disagrees that it is "solo".

Sly
08-14-2013, 10:30
Yar- they don't post it- you'd have to call or maybe a WB member that works there can chime in- not an advertised record, but they probably have something. Hiking solo under the age of 18 though doesn't seem like something they'd care to promote and I don't blame them. .

First solo female thru-hiker.

Emma Gatewood, better known as “Grandma Gatewood,” mother of 11 children and grandmother of 23, was 67 when she first hiked the Trail in 1955. In 1957, she completed her second thru-hike at age 69, holding the unofficial title of oldest female thru-hiker for the next 50 years. In 1964, she became the first person to complete the A.T. three time when she finished a section-hike. She was famous for wearing only “Keds” tennis shoes and carrying a small knapsack.

Youngest female section-hiker.

The youngest female section-hiker, Kimberley (Raymond) Emberg, started the Trail at age 3 in 1984 and completed the Trail at age 15 in 1997. Four generations of her family are 2000-milers. Her great grandmother (Reba DuPaul) and her grandmother (Reba Johnson) both section-hiked the AT in the 1980's. Her father (Lyle Raymond), mother (Nancy Raymond), sister (Rebecca Raymond), and Kimberly hiked the trail from 1984 to 1997 together.

Youngest thru-hiker.

A 6-year-old boy became the youngest person to hike the A.T. when he completed a flip-flop thru-hike with his parents in 1980. Twenty-two years later, in 2002, another 6-year-old boy completed a flip-flop thru-hike with his parents and 8-year-old sister.

Youngest female thru-hiker.

The youngest female to thru-hike the A.T. was 8 when she completed hiking the Trail in 2002 as part of a family group.

Maybe no one has claimed the spot as youngest SOLO female thru-hiker, an anonymous listing doesn't seem out of line