PDA

View Full Version : I see they called off the search for the hiker in Maine.

moldy
08-06-2013, 08:44
So do you have a mass murderer again? Or is it just a "got lost", "had a stroke" thing? Bears? The police have given us no real feedback as to what we are dealing with for any of the dead or missing hikers on the AT for the past 3 or 4 years. I can't even recall how many this makes now. The guy killed in central Virginia had been partially buried. What to do? Stay home? Group up? Pack heat? What are you all going to do? Pray?

Wise Old Owl
08-06-2013, 08:47
mmmm Pray.

Pray this question doesn't go spiraling into another gun knife thread....

Tom Murphy
08-06-2013, 08:55
I still have hope.
These incidents are unrelated to each other beyond the fact that they occurred to hikers on the AT.
There is not a conspiracy.
Do whatever makes you feel safe.

Tuckahoe
08-06-2013, 09:01
No need to get yourself worked up. As is always pointed out the AT is very safe compared to society in general, and incidents of violent crime in this nation has continued to fall to the lowest levels since the 1940s.

Other than internet commando detectives with lively imaginations, we do not yet have any evidence of any foul play up in Maine.

slbirdnerd
08-06-2013, 09:03
The police have given us no real feedback as to what we are dealing with for any of the dead or missing hikers on the AT for the past 3 or 4 years.

I've seen follow up information on every missing/death I have read about except this one, where there isn't a conclusion yet. She is still missing. Most of the ones I have seen follow up on have been natural causes.

What to do? Stop contributing to the hype.

Jack Tarlin
08-06-2013, 09:05
The Trail is still safer than most people's towns, homes, schools, workplaces. It would be a mistake if people's concern over recent events in Maine led folks to believe, or led folks to tell others that the Trail is an overly dangerous place. This is simply untrue, and nobody is well-served, especially new-comers to the Trail, by putting fears in their head that simply don't belong there. That there are inherent risks involved with outdoor activities is not in dispute, but the fact of the matter is this: Most of you reading this right now will spend all or part of today in places far more dangerous than the A.T.

BirdBrain
08-06-2013, 09:05
So do you have a mass murderer again? Or is it just a "got lost", "had a stroke" thing? Bears? The police have given us no real feedback as to what we are dealing with for any of the dead or missing hikers on the AT for the past 3 or 4 years. I can't even recall how many this makes now. The guy killed in central Virginia had been partially buried. What to do? Stay home? Group up? Pack heat? What are you all going to do? Pray?

I have refrained from making this comment on other threads. I am not going to name my source. The police were not in charge of the search.

What am I going to do? I am going to take all reasonable advice. I am not going to act like a tough guy. I am going to follow the advice of those that preach safety. Other threads have given practical advice on how to be safe in the woods. Ignore said advice at your own peril.

As far as Inchworm goes: I am not going to judge her actions or jump to ignorant conclusions. And yes, I am going to pray. I do not believe prayers are cute warm gestures that are done out of love. I believe they go beyond the room in which they are spoken. I believe they are heard.

Water Rat
08-06-2013, 09:09

Gerry Largay is someone's wife...She has many friends...She is a fellow hiker... These are only snippets of who Gerry Largay is. But, the one thing she is not (in my opinion) is a story for the entertainment of others. She is out there, somewhere.

It has been over two weeks and the police have no new leads. Unfortunately, unless some new shred of evidence/some lead appears... It only makes sense for the search to be cancelled at this time.

You want to know what to do? How about offer of wishes for closure for her family and friends? I do not know Gerry Largay, but everything I have read leads me to believe that if there is a chance, she will figure out how to make it home. It is absolute hell to be on the other end of things - Waiting and wondering and not knowing answers. Please show a little respect for Gerry, and her friends and family.

Marta
08-06-2013, 09:12
I can think of two other missing hiker cases I followed intensely--a friend of friends who disappeared along the PCT several years ago, and the young man who disappeared between Logan Pass and Avalanche Lake in GNP last year. In both cases all-out searches failed to find the hikers, but their bodies were found, in one case, a year later, in the second case about three months later. Other hikers stumbled across them. It is not easy to find people who have gotten lost or Fallen. It just isn't, however much we might wish otherwise.

My thoughts are with Inchworm's family and friends.

Another Kevin
08-06-2013, 09:13
Do whatever makes you feel safe.

No. Please. Don't do whatever makes you feel safe. That way lies madness. (Bites tongue before starting into a political screed.)

I pray for Gerry to have a happy homecoming, whether in this world or the next.

Drybones
08-06-2013, 09:19
As far as Inchworm goes: I am not going to judge her actions or jump to ignorant conclusions. And yes, I am going to pray. I do not believe prayers are cute warm gestures that are done out of love. I believe they go beyond the room in which they are spoken. I believe they are heard.

+1................

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 09:20
is there a reason for this thread?

Ewker
08-06-2013, 09:23

this should be merged into the main thread

BirdBrain
08-06-2013, 09:27

I could guess at one. It would not be nice to do so. Putting it on ignore now. Thank you for the help.

Mags
08-06-2013, 09:31
I could guess at one. It would not be nice to do so. Putting it on ignore now. Thank you for the help.

That's the best advice if you don't like the current thread.

The news thread was for "Just the facts Ma'am".

This thread is for discussion on something very much related to the AT.

Please try to keep it civil.

Thanks.

Hill Ape
08-06-2013, 09:45
What are you all going to do? Pray?

yes, that is exactly what i'm going to do

Captn
08-06-2013, 10:16
Already have and will continue to Pray ....

Colter
08-06-2013, 10:34
The Trail is still safer than most people's towns, homes, schools, workplaces. It would be a mistake if people's concern over recent events in Maine led folks to believe, or led folks to tell others that the Trail is an overly dangerous place. This is simply untrue, and nobody is well-served, especially new-comers to the Trail, by putting fears in their head that simply don't belong there. That there are inherent risks involved with outdoor activities is not in dispute, but the fact of the matter is this: Most of you reading this right now will spend all or part of today in places far more dangerous than the A.T.

Well said Jack.

Slo-go'en
08-06-2013, 10:51
Leading cause of death on the AT - heart attack. Leading cause of injury - falling down. Every year at least one person falls to thier death and many more have to be carried out. Mt. Washington is a popular place for that to happen, but there are pleanty of other places where it is possible.

Homicide is way down at the bottom of the list.

Sarcasm the elf
08-06-2013, 11:09
Just a friendly reminder to everyone when posting about missing persons:

Everything you post to Whiteblaze is searchable by google and other web searches. Before you write anything about specific missing hikers remember that friends and family can and more than likely will end up locating this site and reading your comments about their loved ones. Please be tactful, and don't needlessly fuel speculation and rumor.

Ktaadn
08-06-2013, 11:37

Why? It obviously hasn't accomplished anything and will continue to not accomplish anything.

Symba
08-06-2013, 11:38
I'm going on a hike today on the AT in NJ. I'll be bringing my mountain cur dog Maggie (mags) and she will be pulling a sled with my two mounted machine guns for protection. I will have my machete, pistol, crossbow, and sticks of dynamite. I also will not smile. I refuse to smile. There will be an eye in the sky (helicopter) watching every move in case someone tries to drop out of a tree on top of us. But then again, I'll have my suit of armor on to protect me from that.

fins1838
08-06-2013, 11:56
I'm going on a hike today on the AT in NJ. I'll be bringing my mountain cur dog Maggie (mags) and she will be pulling a sled with my two mounted machine guns for protection. I will have my machete, pistol, crossbow, and sticks of dynamite. I also will not smile. I refuse to smile. There will be an eye in the sky (helicopter) watching every move in case someone tries to drop out of a tree on top of us. But then again, I'll have my suit of armor on to protect me from that.
Now thats amusing.

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 11:57

Why? It obviously hasn't accomplished anything and will continue to not accomplish anything. he moves in mysterious ways

Ktaadn
08-06-2013, 12:04
he moves in mysterious ways

Who is "he"?

HikerMom58
08-06-2013, 12:09
Now thats amusing.

Symba has a very vivid imagination. I wouldn't have thought of all those things, myself.;)

Have a great hike Symba!

As far as Inchworm goes.. we just have to trust the ones in charge. Without having all the facts ourselves, we trust they know what they are doing. That's hard to do sometimes. Humanly speaking, we are capable of making so many mistakes.

When we pray for this situation with Inchworm, we also pray for wisdom for the SAR teams. God bless them!!

Every morning I think of Inchworm and the family. God please be with them all!!

HikerMom58
08-06-2013, 12:10
Who is "he"?

Rut Row... can't go there!

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 12:10
Who is "he"?
alright "she"
how would you know prayers havent helped? what hidden insight do you possess?that you dont believe it can help?
i believe it can.you dont need to call it prayer, just call it positive energy.theres a lot in this universe we dont understand.
the world was once flat you know.

Hill Ape
08-06-2013, 12:27
Ktaadn, you seem itching for a religious debate. Why?

Ktaadn
08-06-2013, 12:32
alright "she"
how would you know prayers havent helped? what hidden insight do you possess?that you dont believe it can help?
i believe it can.you dont need to call it prayer, just call it positive energy.theres a lot in this universe we dont understand.
the world was once flat you know.

This person is still missing. Her family and friends are still grieving. What other evidence are you looking for?

No, this world was never flat.

Fur Queue
08-06-2013, 12:33
Has anyone noticed an appreciable difference between regular prayer and praying hard? Please advise?

Ktaadn
08-06-2013, 12:33
Ktaadn, you seem itching for a religious debate. Why?

No, I don't have any itches. I just asked a simple and logical question.

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 12:38
This person is still missing. Her family and friends are still grieving. What other evidence are you looking for?

No, this world was never flat.
not looking for evidence. looking for closure, as well as giving the family strength to pull through the ordeal.
and yes the world was once flat. maybe you can tell me what the smallest subatomic particle is, or define dark energy and dark matter. even explain quantum mechanics. "science" has always been subject to change.einstein has been wrong too

Wise Old Owl
08-06-2013, 12:39
Rut Row... can't go there!

Rut? What? Cat got your...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr1347TOAD7bc9GWZM27L4rXRg_JJGU afXPG2s0pxL4_QomTk_7A

Another Kevin
08-06-2013, 12:47
Why? It obviously hasn't accomplished anything and will continue to not accomplish anything.

Praying helps me, even if it doesn't help the object of the prayer. It might indeed help the object of the prayer - but it's at least as much about the one doing the praying.

At the very worst, it's an expression of solidarity from those who have nothing material to offer.

Hill Ape
08-06-2013, 12:48
ok, do you subscribe to the standard model of the universe? or to string theory? neither can be fully proven, and at the end of the day both require a certain amount of faith

is this thread about guns? or G_d? i can't tell. i thought it was about inchworm. call it a wish, call it a hope, call it a prayer. is there anyone here that wants something bad to have fallen on her? why does someones faith get called into question over something like this?

rickb
08-06-2013, 12:50
Leading cause of death on the AT - heart attack. Leading cause of injury - falling down. Every year at least one person falls to thier death and many more have to be carried out.

If you can cite a semi-authoritative source that supports the notion that at least 1 person falls to their death on the AT each year, please let me know. By way of thanks I will send a $100 check in your name to the ATC. But I think that is not even close to the truth.

BTW, five thru hikers and 1 long distance section hiker have been killed by the hand of a stranger on the AT. Note that I said thru hikers--every one of whom was many hundreds of miles into their end to end hikes. Reasonable people can disagree on whether her that number is higher or lower than what should be expected.

That said, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that foul play should be suspected here, and I think speculation to that effect is neither appropriate or suggested by the facts surrounding every documented case of violence along the trail.

The woods are a very big and wild place in Maine, and nature can be unforgiving. Hope still remains however.

Sarcasm the elf
08-06-2013, 13:02
Hmm, well you kids have fun. I'm going to take advantage of the Ignore Thread feature.

Chaco Taco
08-06-2013, 13:04
Who is "he"?
This is not the place for this type of discussion, IMO, respectfully.

Chaco Taco
08-06-2013, 13:06
You could always take it to the non AT thread....

Mags
08-06-2013, 13:14
Has anyone noticed an appreciable difference between regular prayer and praying hard? Please advise?

No reason to add a religious debate to the mix. :)

For those are religious, please pray.
For those who are more of the more recent spiritual persuasion, give good thoughts.
If you are not religious , let us hope that the outcome is for the best for our community, the hiker and her family and friends.

gizzy bear
08-06-2013, 13:27
i pray that she will be found safe... and i pray for the minds of her loved ones who are agonizing right now... i can't imagine their pain.. God speed.

jeffmeh
08-06-2013, 14:09
You could always take it to the non AT thread....

But if god is omnipresent, then the discussion can stay here, yes? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Ktaadn
08-06-2013, 16:17
Praying helps me, even if it doesn't help the object of the prayer. It might indeed help the object of the prayer - but it's at least as much about the one doing the praying.

At the very worst, it's an expression of solidarity from those who have nothing material to offer.

So, it makes you feel better. Thank you for the insight AK.

Mags
08-06-2013, 16:27
OK folks..really. There is a person missing and you are debating the power of prayer.

I am an atheist and I recognize how prayer is something people find to be comforting in times of sorrow. Is that a bad thing?

Let's remember there is a person out there, a person in our community, who is lost. A husband is worried for their wife. Family and friends hope she is OK.

So pray. Send good thoughts. Hope for the best (my option).

But endless squabble about it? Really? You can do better.

:)

EDIT: Feel free to start a group and have at it, too :D
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php

JustaTouron
08-06-2013, 17:02
As a devoted agnostic I fully agree with Mags. Some of the side discussions about this missing wife and mother are sickening.

Migrating Bird
08-06-2013, 20:29

Thank you Jack for reminding folks that the AT is in a sense a sanctuary. We are very fortunate to be able to use the AT and in some cases abuse it as each of us sees fit. For what ever reason, this is more just another missing person or accident victim, she is part of each of us that have hiked or wish to hike the same trial. Up until a couple of weeks ago, she was only followed closely by those who love her as she continued toward her goal and now she has become part of each of us. It is difficult sitting on the sidelines watching the game being played out before us but not even in the slightest, comparable to the anguish her family and friends must be going through right now. This affects all of us in different ways, some get sad, some get mad, some pray, some do not, yet all us are part of a common community and hope for her safe return.

Chaco Taco
08-06-2013, 21:06
OK folks..really. There is a person missing and you are debating the power of prayer.

I am an atheist and I recognize how prayer is something people find to be comforting in times of sorrow. Is that a bad thing?

Let's remember there is a person out there, a person in our community, who is lost. A husband is worried for their wife. Family and friends hope she is OK.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php

bump, needs to be read

Drybones
08-06-2013, 21:23
Hmm, well you kids have fun. I'm going to take advantage of the Ignore Thread feature.

Not a bad idea, I've been tempted to respond but had to remember: "answer a fool according to his folly and you will be like him".

chief
08-07-2013, 00:14
Not a bad idea, I've been tempted to respond but had to remember: "answer a fool according to his folly and you will be like him".but you did respond and added your own jab.

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 00:27
I hope she walks out of the woods tomorrow safe and sound. But it is looking very dire.
It makes us sad. We want to know who did something to her, or where she fell, etc. Details are good as it helps future hikers try to avoid such things.

BuckeyeBill
08-07-2013, 01:08
As a former law enforcement officer I am sure that the facts will be announce when and if the case is closed. Until that time it is not proper for officials to say or speculate publicly. I have had to deal with the press several times throughout my career and usually said no comment when asked for information.

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 01:14
As a former law enforcement officer I am sure that the facts will be announce when and if the case is closed. Until that time it is not proper for officials to say or speculate publicly. I have had to deal with the press several times throughout my career and usually said no comment when asked for information.

That is par for the course.

HikerMom58
08-07-2013, 12:57
https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/p480x480/1005179_524968077577239_96412846_n.jpg

:D................................................ ..............

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2013, 13:12
http://memebase.cheezburger.com/share/7693513472 (http://memebase.cheezburger.com/share/7693513472)

Double Wide
08-08-2013, 14:03
What to do? Stop contributing to the hype.

This!

Seriously, because there's no information, why is the default reading 'FOUL PLAY' for some people? She could've gotten lost, wandered off trail, got injured, nobody knows, so all the sudden anything that bad that happens to a few people all up and down the trail is somehow connected?

I hope the OP remembers to account for his tinfoil hat when he's calculating his pack weight...

Alligator
08-08-2013, 14:26
No reason to add a religious debate to the mix. :)

For those are religious, please pray.
For those who are more of the more recent spiritual persuasion, give good thoughts.
If you are not religious , let us hope that the outcome is for the best for our community, the hiker and her family and friends.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.phpThis means drop it, the religious debate. Not keep talking about including why we were unhappy about it. Just end it at the warnings given by the moderator.

THANK YOU!

Another Kevin
08-08-2013, 16:58
This means drop it, the religious debate. Not keep talking about including why we were unhappy about it. Just end it at the warnings given by the moderator.

THANK YOU!

No, thank YOU! (I was wondering when a moderator would step in on this one.)

Blissful
08-08-2013, 18:47
This is the most mystifying event. And troubling in many ways, esp for us women who want to pursue our dream and go solo. Now this dark cloud hangs over things. I wish at least there was some kind of evidence. A piece of gear. Clothing. anything. I just don't understand how there isn't anything found in the woods anywhere. She most definitely is NOT on the AT. Which means she got off the AT herself. That was probably her choice, wheter to find a road or having gotten lost. If it were a major fall, there would be evidence. SOmething comes off a pack. The dogs would pick up a scent. What the outcome was of that decision and where she ended up, obviously not good. Very hard.

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 19:01
This is the most mystifying event. And troubling in many ways, esp for us women who want to pursue our dream and go solo. Now this dark cloud hangs over things.

This should hardly be a reason not hike the AT. It might be a reason to to carry a locator device (SPOT) or take other precautions. It is unlikely that if she got lost in woods that a portion of her gear would show up. It is most likely she and all of her gear are in the same location, however, not in the search grid.

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 19:10
This is the most mystifying event. And troubling in many ways, esp for us women who want to pursue our dream and go solo. Now this dark cloud hangs over things. I wish at least there was some kind of evidence. A piece of gear. Clothing. anything. I just don't understand how there isn't anything found in the woods anywhere. She most definitely is NOT on the AT. Which means she got off the AT herself. That was probably her choice, wheter to find a road or having gotten lost. If it were a major fall, there would be evidence. SOmething comes off a pack. The dogs would pick up a scent. What the outcome was of that decision and where she ended up, obviously not good. Very hard.

I know what you mean Blissful!! You are a ridgerunner so you are very aware of all the "dangers" out there on the trail. This one has us all taken back a bit....

turtle fast
08-09-2013, 11:41
A SPOT locator, or even keeping the cell phone on are reasonable location assisting devices. But, the use of them is voluntary and remember that they too can run counter to the hiking philosophy of many. It was said that our lost hiker here did not sign in at trail registers or shelters. That at least would of assisted searchers a bit more and in reading the registers is loaded with valuable information about the trail, services, and the like. I hope she is found.

MuddyWaters
08-09-2013, 20:25
When you get lost you have two priorities to get found.

1) get to high ground to catch a cell signal. The highest ground you can see.

2) build a fire, a big one. A forest fire if have too. Wet wood burns, and its smokes too once a fire is going.

Lack of either of those things happening, pretty much indicates to me the chances are slim she was simply lost, but healthy.

There are other possibilities for the authorities to run down. As Sherlock Holmes would say, "Once you eliminate what is not possible, you are left with the truth"

Lemni Skate
08-09-2013, 23:24
Why don't you ask some of the scholars who have studied and written books on apologetics, or better yet read one of their books? Because you don't want answers. You want a fight.

Jack Tarlin
08-10-2013, 06:51
I know of at least one case in the White Mountains where two hikers, in worsening weather conditions, went uphill by 1,000 feet or so, in an attempt to get better phone reception. In the process, they insured that rescuers were looking for them in the wrong place. They also almost got themselves killed. If they had gone DOWN the Trail they were on, they'd have gotten below treeline in short order, and continuing, would have soon found themselves at a clearly marked trail crossing which would have directed them to safety. In short, advising people to get to "the highest ground they can see" is not only NOT a priority when one is lost. It is instead poor and dangerous advice that could get you dead. There is no guarantee of better phone reception/service by going higher up, and in poor or deteriorating weather conditions, this is an extraordinarily risky thing to do.

RCBear
08-10-2013, 07:57
What's the point of this thread? Isn't there another one running concurrently about the same thing that was started first. No one here is going to have a real answer before the authorities do anyway. And if you think you do, then that's who you should be communicating with.

MuddyWaters
08-10-2013, 11:26
I know of at least one case in the White Mountains where two hikers, in worsening weather conditions, went uphill by 1,000 feet or so, in an attempt to get better phone reception. In the process, they insured that rescuers were looking for them in the wrong place. They also almost got themselves killed. If they had gone DOWN the Trail they were on, they'd have gotten below treeline in short order, and continuing, would have soon found themselves at a clearly marked trail crossing which would have directed them to safety. In short, advising people to get to "the highest ground they can see" is not only NOT a priority when one is lost. It is instead poor and dangerous advice that could get you dead. There is no guarantee of better phone reception/service by going higher up, and in poor or deteriorating weather conditions, this is an extraordinarily risky thing to do.

obviously every situation is different. We are not talking about being on a trail either.
As long as you are on a trail, you should not be lost.
If you dont know enough to stay low and sheltered in bad weather, you dont belong out there to start with
I can find you plenty of cases where people that thought they were doing the right thing, going downhill, following water, etc, ended up lost even worse

The reccommendation is always to stay where you are, to give searchers the best chance of finding you. Because you are likely going to move farther from their search area if wander.

You have enough time on the AT to know that if you want a cell signal, you will probably get it on top of a mountain, and not much elsewhere. No its not a guarantee. But you also can see from there, you can see roads, you can see towns, you can see mountain peaks, rivers and lakes.

You can figure out where you are if you dont know.

Just because you go up to do that, doesnt mean you stay there if the weather is bad. Also assuming you are not wandering 15 miles to a distant mountain.

Sheesh.

For a map and compass to be useful, you need to know where you are on it.
Shooting a couple of bearings off of landmarks, gives you that.
You cant see down low in the trees

We are purporting two different philosophies, one of someone that is prepared to handle themselves in the woods,

and another of someone that advises you to depend on someone else to save you.

We arent cub scouts. Someone isnt going to come looking for us if we are missing 2 hrs. In most peoples cases it may be at minimum several days. For some, it might be weeks. Ability to help yourself, would be a good idea.

MuddyWaters
08-10-2013, 11:29
Why don't you ask some of the scholars who have studied and written books on apologetics, or better yet read one of their books? Because you don't want answers. You want a fight.

hardly

you need to look in the mirror, you are the one making a confrontational post.

surfnturk
08-10-2013, 13:07
This is very confusin. I thought it was totally safe for women to hike the AT alone? According to some of the regulars anyway. In fact many encourage it.There's one in particular i remember being very open about it, even encouraging his own daughter.
Lets hear from you guys.

hikerboy57
08-10-2013, 13:17
This is very confusin. I thought it was totally safe for women to hike the AT alone? According to some of the regulars anyway. In fact many encourage it.There's one in particular i remember being very open about it, even encouraging his own daughter.
Lets hear from you guys. it could have just as easy been a guy we still don't know exactly what happened to her

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 13:17
Lets hear from you guys.

I don't recall anyone saying "totally safe". I do recall pointing out it's relative safety compared to other activities. Without question the most dangerous aspect of hiking the AT is catching a hitchhike with someone who has been drinking or riding in the back of someone's pickup bed.

I for one don't think it is a particularly bright idea to hike solo regardless of your gender and if you do you ought carry a SPOT.

The biggest reason why gender plays a role in the overall safety of hikers is that females tend to travel further from the trail for the purposes of bladder voiding increasing their risk of getting lost, this counter balanced to a great deal by the fact they are less likely to engage in stupid reckless behavior that males frequently engage in.

Pedaling Fool
08-10-2013, 13:43
Lets hear from you guys.I do recall people saying "totally safe". However, so what? You really can't believe anywhere on earth is 100% safe. So this story doesn't change my opinion one bit on the safety of hiking the trail, be it male or female. Just because someone has said it's "totally safe" means nothing to me, you gotta look into the issue more indepth for your self and not rely on others opinions, which really are like ....

P.S. And I agree this could just have easily been a guy and we still do NOT know what's happened, gotta keep an open mind.

Marta
08-10-2013, 21:11
Lets hear from you guys.

I believe there's currently a search for a young guy missing from the PCT. When I saw the notice he hadn't been seen for 20 days.

Del Q
08-10-2013, 21:42
I have hesitated to comment on this one, but........

For a few years I served on a SAR team. If you look into "Lost Person Behavior", although there are not a LOT of data sets, people do respond somewhat predicatbly. Example, Alzheimer's patients are typically found close to the point last seen, confused, dehydrated, get stuck in sticker bushes, etc.

In this case, experienced outdoors-people also act somewhat predictably. Sadly, this seems like more of a recovery, crime related (??).........things just don't add up on this one.

The SAR effort was impressive, A+++ resources on this search. Sadly, after X hours or days the end of the story is often well down the line time-wise. Am guessing that the police, warden's, etc are on this case and looking at every angle.

If I had the time or lived closer I would have vounteered to help out. Again, things just don't add up on this one.

Just stinks...............