PDA

View Full Version : Idiot hurt after sliding 200 feet on Mt Washington

Slo-go'en
08-06-2013, 15:00
Some yahoos decided to go off trail and tried to climb the slabs in Huntington Ravine on Mt Washington. One almost made it the top, but the other got stuck and then both decided to butt slide back down the slabs. One apparently made it down okay with only road rash on his butt, but the other lost control on the last 50 feet and did a face plant into boulders at the bottom. Besides smashing his face, he broke both arms and had to be air lifted out. This all happend about 3 pm lSaturday but it wasn't until early Sunday morning before they could get him out and air lifted to the hospital.

I sure hope they send him the bill!

T.S.Kobzol
08-06-2013, 15:16
Fun with toilet paper for the next few weeks...

Some yahoos decided to go off trail and tried to climb the slabs in Huntington Ravine on Mt Washington. One almost made it the top, but the other got stuck and then both decided to butt slide back down the slabs. One apparently made it down okay with only road rash on his butt, but the other lost control on the last 50 feet and did a face plant into boulders at the bottom. Besides smashing his face, he broke both arms and had to be air lifted out. This all happend about 3 pm lSaturday but it wasn't until early Sunday morning before they could get him out and air lifted to the hospital.

I sure hope they send him the bill!

Pedaling Fool
08-06-2013, 15:26
Fun with toilet paper for the next few weeks...Ha, Ha...that's what I was thinking

RCBear
08-06-2013, 15:49
Ha, Ha...that's what I was thinking

Yeah...roommate rule #47 clearly states that if you can't wipe your own butt due to extreme dumbness, then skid marks you deserve.

Razor
08-06-2013, 17:41
People like that generally have a mother who is still doing this for them ! They certainly have not learned to think for themselves.

Drybones
08-06-2013, 18:52
Sure wish there was a video of that face plant....sounds like fun....to watch.

Chaco Taco
08-06-2013, 19:06
Read about these guys. Hey there is a video floating around that shows the airlift of a guy up here. This may be the same guy.

Ground Control
08-06-2013, 19:50
Wow -- this thread seems mean-spirited in multiple ways. :confused:

Driver8
08-06-2013, 20:20

Yeah, I don't see celebrating this guy's misfortune.

One question I had, about conditions, though, was whether it was raining at the time this happened. It rained part of Saturday in that area, no?

Slo-go'en
08-06-2013, 20:21

And rightly so. This guys foolish actions required him to be lowered down a steep boulder field for 1000 feet, in the rain, at night just to get back onto a trail. This puts the SAR people at serious risk themselfs. He's lucky he didn't snap his neck or worse. The first responders where there at 7 PM and it took until 2 AM to get him out.

Slo-go'en
08-06-2013, 20:22
It didn't start to rain until after dark.

Driver8
08-06-2013, 20:32
And rightly so. This guys foolish actions required him to be lowered down a steep boulder field for 1000 feet, in the rain, at night just to get back onto a trail. This puts the SAR people at serious risk themselfs. He's lucky he didn't snap his neck or worse. The first responders where there at 7 PM and it took until 2 AM to get him out.

Would you call Eric Honnold an idiot? How much do we know about this guy's skill level?

Drybones
08-06-2013, 21:09
Would you call Eric Honnold an idiot? How much do we know about this guy's skill level?

If I'm understanding the story correctly, and this guy knowingly and intentionally did what he did, I'd be more concerned with his mental level than his skill level.

Feral Bill
08-06-2013, 23:17
We all do stupid things.

Starchild
08-07-2013, 18:57
I was there assisting the rescue effort. From what I know the guy lost the trail and tried to climb out. Rain was not a issue until near the bottom on the grassy Sherborne Ski trail. It was a amazing effort by NH fish and game AMC volunteers and one AT thru hiker to get him down.

Drybones
08-07-2013, 19:28
If I'm understanding the story correctly, and this guy knowingly and intentionally did what he did, I'd be more concerned with his mental level than his skill level.

After thinking, I must confess, I made this statement as an aged one....in my 20's I would have been the one that said "hey Bro, this 200' slide looks like fun, let's go for it".

Blissful
08-07-2013, 19:47
Many out there think they are invincible. ALL that Hollywood type superhero influence and gaming master stuff. Just glad to hear they survived. Can't put a price tag on that.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-07-2013, 21:17
a couple of dorks

Slo-go'en
08-07-2013, 22:06
Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the fellows. I have learned today that the Huntington ravine trail is considered one of/or the most dangerous in the Whites.

A freind of mine who has done pretty much every trail you can name in the Whites said he went up that way once (because he was hiking every trail you can name) and would never, ever do it again it was that scarry. The trail is primarly used to access the bottom of ice climbs in the ravine in the winter. It's that steep.

Apparently the two meet on the trail. A likely senario would be they got to where it started to get sketchy and instead of going back then, one of them said or just unconsiously thought "I think it would be easier this way" following a path of least resistance until it dead ended. Once into the boulder field, it is easy to go astray. And then find yourself stuck. Going up is one thing, going down is quite another.

Hill Ape
08-07-2013, 22:11
when i was a kid i broke my arm skateboarding, while it was in a cast... the day before i was supposed to get the cast off from the first time i broke my arm, while skateboarding. did i stop skateboarding? no, of course not. i loved it. evidence to the contrary, i was quite good. its what led me to take such stupid risks. what can i say, i was dumb

my mother tells my kids that story so often they know the details better than i remember them. she just about had a heart attack when one of them got a board, and seemed to be as good as i was. better probably, he still hasn't broke any bones, or had stitches (i had more than i could count by the time i was ten)

weary
08-07-2013, 22:44

Quite a bit, I suspect. For one thing they obviously had never done much ass-sliding.

hikerboy57
08-07-2013, 22:48
Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the fellows. I have learned today that the Huntington ravine trail is considered one of/or the most dangerous in the Whites.

A freind of mine who has done pretty much every trail you can name in the Whites said he went up that way once (because he was hiking every trail you can name) and would never, ever do it again it was that scarry. The trail is primarly used to access the bottom of ice climbs in the ravine in the winter. It's that steep.

Apparently the two meet on the trail. A likely senario would be they got to where it started to get sketchy and instead of going back then, one of them said or just unconsiously thought "I think it would be easier this way" following a path of least resistance until it dead ended. Once into the boulder field, it is easy to go astray. And then find yourself stuck. Going up is one thing, going down is quite another.
it is stupid steep with some really hairy scrambles. and kinda like madison gulf trail in that its not an easy trail to follow all the time.i could see it happening to me, did it about 12 years ago with 40 lb pack, and only remember it took forever to get atop the headwall, with places i was hanging on for life.
ive also done my share of highballing, although those days are behind me and have been 40 or 50 ft off the deck without a rope with sewing machine legs kicking in. never fell, but it have just as easily went the other way. i wouldnt judge those kids at all.that is absolutely one of the toughest "trails" in the whites

Rasty
08-07-2013, 23:09
Looks like a fun climb if your paying attention. Not sure I would want to descend that.

hikerboy57
08-07-2013, 23:10
Looks like a fun climb if your paying attention. Not sure I would want to descend that.
it was a little scary, but i loved it

Rasty
08-07-2013, 23:15
it was a little scary, but i loved it

If I get back I'm doing it. Looks like as much fun as the far right side of Tuckermans snow field. About a 50 to 60 degree angle in some parts.

hikerboy57
08-07-2013, 23:19
its tougher than tucks, but you'll enjoy it.try the madison gulf trail too when you get the chance. another trail you really dont want to downclimb

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 06:59
coupla shots from www.hikethewhites.com of the "hiking" the headwall of huntington ravine trail

peakbagger
08-08-2013, 07:24
It is easy to loose the trail up Huntingtons ravine, there are multiple slide paths that intersect the trail and look like the trail plus several apparent relocations. I was with a hiking group who had someone who claimed to be experienced take the wrong route and end up quite a distance from the trail. The actual trail itself has one 150 to 200 foot long spot that is mostly climbing a slab without a lot of features. In some other areas, no doubt they might have installed metal rungs or possibly pin steps. On a dry day is a fun challenge for most and I avoid the place when its wet. After that section the trail is steep and has some exposed spots but the biggest hazard is folks above knocking stuff down or even worse individuals who ignore the warnings and try to descend.