PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Mail Magic Did You Most Look Forward To?

OutlawBlues
08-06-2013, 15:23
If I were to send a care package (i.e. mail magic) to a thru-hiker, what should I send?

For past thru-hikers, what did you look for in the mail from friends and/or family when you were on trail? Is this specific to the needs of the individual hiker or what? What kinds of things did you receive through the mail? Gear? Food? (obviously food!) Hygiene products? Money? Gift cards? Notes/cards? How concerned should I be about weight? Are there other considerations in mailing things to thru-hikers?

Any thoughts, jokes, and snide remarks will be helpful. (Ok, maybe not snide remarks! :))

Pedaling Fool
08-06-2013, 15:25
Candy. I got addicted to plain m&m's

Lone Wolf
08-06-2013, 15:25
simple card tricks

Malto
08-06-2013, 15:47
Brownies...

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 15:53
Ice cream and pizza

Hill Ape
08-06-2013, 16:45
all of this is based on this being a surprise package, the hiker is not execting it or planning for it. keep everything small and light
no gear unless its been requested and worked out prior, or you know for fact they need something specific
food, sure, we're always hungry. lipton meals, instant mashed potatos, cous cous, quinoa. thing about all that though, we can pick it up ourselves at the store. high quality jerky is good. summer sausage, gorp. stuff for one great meal thats easy to cook. regional candy we can't find. think comfort food, think tones of home. grandma's banana bread. mom's brownies. little sisters cookies. stuff they miss. stuff cooked with love. stuff that doesn't melt easily, and keeps well.
small bottle of dr bronners peppermint. toilet paper! (seriously) purell sanitizer, small pack of baby wipes. couple sheets moleskin, ibuprofen, maybe a small thing of tiger balm (or similar), burts bees foot creme (or similar) a cotton bandananothing bulk sized. a few ziplock baggies
a pair of fresh socks is great
notes and hallmark cards, some snap shots of missed love ones. things that will put a smile on the face. this more than anything is great to get. boost their morale, give them a laugh. it lightens the steps. get creative here, make it special
MONEY!!!! always good

OutlawBlues
08-06-2013, 16:53
Thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming.

Razor
08-06-2013, 17:18
I did not receive any packages nor wanted any. They were too much a hassle to try and co-ordinate with timing and PO. The treats might have been nice but just not worth it!

Drybones
08-06-2013, 17:24
Cheeseburgers and cold beer

OutlawBlues
08-06-2013, 17:35
Cheeseburger and cold beer...via the mail!?! I would have to work hard to make that happen. :)

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 17:38
Cheeseburger and cold beer...via the mail!?! I would have to work hard to make that happen. :)put it in with the pizza and ice cream:)

Hill Ape
08-06-2013, 18:44
batteries for whatever the hiker may carry

WingedMonkey
08-06-2013, 19:01
Moon Pies, north of the line.

Chaco Taco
08-06-2013, 19:08
Bag O weed!!!
+1................

Chaco Taco
08-06-2013, 19:09
+1................
unless you live in Colorado and can buy the skunky skunk in a shop, in that case, really good whiskey

Wise Old Owl
08-06-2013, 19:10
Meeting other WB's on the trail!

rocketsocks
08-06-2013, 20:05
Moon Pies, north of the line.

ha ha lol..spoken like a true Southerner, South of "The Line"

Drybones
08-06-2013, 21:11
unless you live in Colorado and can buy the skunky skunk in a shop, in that case, really good whiskey

It's all good.

moldy
08-06-2013, 22:13
Cash. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

fredmugs
08-06-2013, 23:27
Brownies...

That or anything homemade.

Different Socks
08-06-2013, 23:29
For me it would be anything with peanut butter, anything gooey and chewy like cookies and brownies, any flavor rice crispie treat and not just 2 or 3 but more like 5--6 each box. Pound cake, any kind of baked bars, candy bars with caramel and PB.

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 00:51
We did not get packages on the trail. We supplied in towns.

Captn
08-07-2013, 09:10
Throw in a mountain house dehydrated meal .... Not the most nutrition, but many thru hikers would salivate over the Spaghetti or beef stroganoff.

when I section hike I always carry an extra or two, as space permits, and hand em out to thru hikers near the end of my week. Last one I gave out was raspberry crumble .... You would have thought I gave him a million dollars.

HikerMom58
08-07-2013, 09:18
We did not get packages on the trail. We supplied in towns.

Well, then that's why you need to get one of these packages when you hike next year.

This mail magic is a great idea! :)

RED-DOG
08-07-2013, 11:12
When i thru- Hiked in 2006 and 2012 my MOM would send me Homemade chocalate chip cookies, and alot of banana nut bread which is my all time Fave but she would only send it to the hostels i planned to stay at which is really COOL since i don't do mail drops, but i would have to say send plenty of banana nut bread.

Jack Tarlin
08-07-2013, 12:56
I remember getting to a town once, and completely by surprise discovered that a friend had known I was gonna be there, and sent along a card and a check, telling me my hostel stay was covered and that I should use the rest to buy and cook dinner for everyone present, which is exactly what happened. So as vulgar as it might sound to some, probably the nicest thing you can do for a friend or family member who's away on a long hike is to send them money so they can treat themselves and perhaps their friends to a few treats of their own. (On another occasion, I arrived at a friend's hostel and there was a letter from a stranger saying "You cooked me dinner here last year and it was a great time. Please do the same for whoever is there tonight." Inside was 50 bucks, and to this day, I still don't know who sent it. Bud, if you're reading this, about 15 people had one hell of a lasagna!!)

OutlawBlues
08-07-2013, 15:12
When i thru- Hiked in 2006 and 2012 my MOM would send me Homemade chocalate chip cookies, and alot of banana nut bread which is my all time Fave but she would only send it to the hostels i planned to stay at which is really COOL since i don't do mail drops, but i would have to say send plenty of banana nut bread.

Good thought. Not everybody does mail drops. I may have to send my care package to a hostel.

RCBear
08-07-2013, 15:27
Ganja brownies

Hill Ape
08-07-2013, 15:39
hostel or post office, the real issue is will the hiker ask for mail they are not expecting? even if you know what hostel they intend to be at, and when they intend to be there (within a few days either way) its not likely that the owner will say hey, i've got this package for you. the hiker has to ask. asking means letting the hiker know there will be a drop.

as appealing as the surprise sounds, the logistics of it don't really work that way.

Jack Tarlin
08-07-2013, 17:14
Gee, actually I think I know a thing or two about the logistics of sending and receiving mail while on the Trail. If you send mail to where you know a friend is going to be then he will in all likelihood have no trouble getting it. In the cases I mentioned, the mail was sent to the proprietor of the establishments, along with my expected day of arrival. Both letters were hand delivered to me minutes after my arrival. Truly, this is not that complicated.

Drybones
08-07-2013, 17:27
I remember getting to a town once, and completely by surprise discovered that a friend had known I was gonna be there, and sent along a card and a check, telling me my hostel stay was covered and that I should use the rest to buy and cook dinner for everyone present, which is exactly what happened. So as vulgar as it might sound to some, probably the nicest thing you can do for a friend or family member who's away on a long hike is to send them money so they can treat themselves and perhaps their friends to a few treats of their own. (On another occasion, I arrived at a friend's hostel and there was a letter from a stranger saying "You cooked me dinner here last year and it was a great time. Please do the same for whoever is there tonight." Inside was 50 bucks, and to this day, I still don't know who sent it. Bud, if you're reading this, about 15 people had one hell of a lasagna!!)

Great story Jack, thanks for sharing.

JustaTouron
08-07-2013, 17:50
hostel or post office, the real issue is will the hiker ask for mail they are not expecting? even if you know what hostel they intend to be at, and when they intend to be there (within a few days either way) its not likely that the owner will say hey, i've got this package for you. the hiker has to ask. asking means letting the hiker know there will be a drop.

as appealing as the surprise sounds, the logistics of it don't really work that way.

Doesn't mean you can surprise them up to a point. When they get to town let them know to ask for a package via whatever check method they use in each town (email, voicemail, text msg, etc). You don't have to tell them what is in it at that point. And it will still be a surprise when they are checking email that they need to ask at the front desk for package.

McPick
08-07-2013, 19:18
Cheeseburger and cold beer...via the mail!?! I would have to work hard to make that happen. :)

OK, Outlaw. No probs... Just send the beer!

Doctari
08-07-2013, 20:18
Sectioner not Thru, but have been s l o w l y heading NOBO for 15 years & married for a LOT longer :-) so wife know me: She usually slips a few post cards & notes in my mail. Sometimes she is "Mean" & says "I miss you! Ready to quit?" & etc. Usually with a big LOL after it. I also get pictures & stuff like: Candy, seasonings, etc.
She also knows that I will very likely leave whatever behind! Although, often my mail TO trail is used to send un-needed or broken stuff home. So I send the cards & pictures back home with the gear. I also include my journal to that point & a few love letters: "YOU could join me out HERE if you miss me that bad!" For some reason I never send home the candy or any other food. LOL