PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with sleeping set up?

Wildflower_90
08-06-2013, 21:47
I will be starting NOBO in late March/early April. I want to be able to stick with the same bag. Any suggestions? Also I'm a hammock sleeper but I want a lighter one then the old hand me down that I have. Suggestions?

Meriadoc
08-06-2013, 21:58
Twenty degree quilt. HammockGear and Enlightened Equipment are two cottage manufacturers to check out. Enlightened has quilts made from cosmetic second nylon so the price is lower. Check out hammock forums for more suggestions.

I used my twenty degree quilt through the summer by venting. It's kept me warm (with long underwear) to 20/25. I made sure it was wide enough for sleeping on the ground too - I slept in my hammock, in a tent, in a shelter, and cowboy camping.

Xristos
08-06-2013, 22:27
+1 on Hammock Gear. Solid stuff. I have 2 HG underquilts and will be talking to them about my top quilts soon. I believe it's Hammock Gear that just started using a new fabric, Argon, which shaves an addition 3-4 ounces off an already incredibly light quilt. My summer top quilt should come in around 12-13oz. Pretty sweet. I assume you're on Hammockforums.net - check the HG section on the Argon deal. It's brand new and not on their site.

gunner76
08-07-2013, 18:36
Hammock Gear that just started using a new fabric, Argon,

I managed to get a sample of Argon fabric from a contact on Hammock Forums and it is nice, very light weight and almost silky feeling. I believe it is now available in several colors other than black.

Hammock Gear, Enlightened Equipment both offer excellent quality gear ( I know as I own and have uses TQs and or UQs from both for the past several years ).

Also checkout Arrowhead, Underground Quilts, Jacks are Better and Wilderness Logics for top quaility TQs and UQs/

XTrekker
08-09-2013, 21:25
I managed to get a sample of Argon fabric from a contact on Hammock Forums and it is nice, very light weight and almost silky feeling. I believe it is now available in several colors other than black.

Hammock Gear, Enlightened Equipment both offer excellent quality gear ( I know as I own and have uses TQs and or UQs from both for the past several years ).

Also checkout Arrowhead, Underground Quilts, Jacks are Better and Wilderness Logics for top quaility TQs and UQs/

+1 on this....Thinking about DIYing a TQ with that Argon fabric..

mudsocks
08-10-2013, 00:00
Argon, which shaves an addition 3-4 ounces off an already incredibly light quilt

Wow, that's what all the buzz is about. Are we talking Cuben Fiber price differences?

lilricky
08-10-2013, 10:48
Wow, that's what all the buzz is about. Are we talking Cuben Fiber price differences?

No, not that bad. Argon fabric goes for $10 a yard at Dutchware. (http://dutchwaregear.com/ultra-light-argon-fabric.html) HammockGear (http://www.hammockgear.com) has it in stock and will make your quilt with it at no extra cost. Also, HG is now offering Argon in Green, Brown, Gray, and Black for the outer fabric.

lilricky
08-10-2013, 10:49
I've been very happy with Hammockgear (http://www.hammockgear.com), and own 3 quilts from them, I believe you will be too.

tammons
08-13-2013, 09:13
I would go for a Down TQ and down 3/4 UQ in the 20dF range.
Loner made it with a Summerlite bag and a 3/4 winderness logics 20dF UQ.

RockChucker30
08-14-2013, 12:24
I've got a 20° EE Rev X topquilt and a 20° Incubator UQ from Hammock Gear. Good stuff.

mattyoc20
08-14-2013, 18:25
Dream Hammocks has the lightest netted hammock on the market 14 oz I want to say but I could be wrong.

Xristos
08-14-2013, 18:34
Dream Hammocks has the lightest netted hammock on the market 14 oz I want to say but I could be wrong.

I think it's actually 13.5oz with suspension included. I've laid in one. They are light but seemingly delicate. I still might get one but durability on a thru hike shod be considered. Also, you definitely lose a little comfort with such a light setup. Still, pretty cool.

William36
09-09-2013, 16:34
i used bags in hammock for good period of time and fought the $250 TQ investment....just did it....sorry I waited so long.....no regrets....do not know what you are missing til yu had it

William36
09-09-2013, 16:37
I struggled with the brand and ended up with Hammock Gear as well....mostly as found one on forum for reasonable price...but was really really really impressed with Enlightened Equipment Rev X...was toen between the two...and Underground Quilts Flight Jacket as well

Shonryu
09-10-2013, 02:09
Hammock Dream Hammock Darien UL. On my scales it comes in at 13.85oz. This inludes bug net, whoopie hook TI suspension, and tree straps with dutch clips. Fly Hammock Gear Cuban extended fly with dutch TI flz 6.82oz and that also includes my cuban snakeskins. UQ I own a Phoniex 40 and a 20 with an extra 2oz of down to take me close to 10 degrees. The 40 comes in at 11.10oz in its stuff sack and the 20 with extra down comes in at 16.11oz. I also have a borro 50 which is close to 9oz and a borro 20 with and extra 2oz of down that comes in at 20.1oz. As far as I know Papasmurff from Dream Hammocks has the lightest complete hammock set-ups on the market and Adam from Hammock Gear has the lightest quilts on the market and they are 900 fill. For the price, weight, and quality of their gear I couldn't be happier. They are awesome people to work with and will go out of their way to make you happy. I perfer buying my gear from cottage shops. They know how to trwat their customers right.