PDA

View Full Version : Best & Affordable place to stay in Mammoth Lakes

wornoutboots
08-07-2013, 10:58
I'll need to a stay a night in Mammoth lakes, Any Hostel opportunities? Anyone Stayed at Toms Place? It looks pretty laid back? Also I arrive on 8/13 & don't start hiking until the 16th, I believe I can camp in the Backpackers CG for 2 nights while I get acclimated correct? Thanks Again!

Sly
08-07-2013, 11:06
Motel 6 in Mammoth Lakes is the best place to stay.

Not sure of Tom's place
Tom's Place Resort is located on Hwy 395, 25 miles North of Bishop, and 15 miles South of Mammoth Lakes

Yeah, you can stay at the backpackers camp in Toulemne Meadows. Self registration, most likely no one will even know you're there. It's an awesome area.

Malto
08-07-2013, 11:48
Agree with Sly. Another options is the camp ground that is located near McDonald's.

BrianLe
08-07-2013, 23:44
Agreed with both comments. I stayed in the Motel 6; it was a few years ago now, but it was fine, and right next door to the post office if that's part of your resupply plan.

DaFireMedic
08-08-2013, 15:56
Motel 6 is the cheapest, except for Shady Rest campground that Malto mentioned. I prefer a motel in this situation, as its nice to enjoy a few luxuries before heading out on your hike, but the campground is located right near the McDonalds and other conveniences. I did 2 rest days in the Motel 6 last year on my thru-hike and enjoyed it. We just bought resupply at Vons and Mammoth Mountaineering (cheaper than Vons for Mountain House foods and such). The Quality Inn runs about $90 a night if I remember correctly and has a killer jacuzzi (Motel 6 doesn't have one). Shilo Inn has all the luxuries, including indoor pool and jacuzzi, laundry, etc, but is a bit more expensive. I prefer St. Anton's Condominiums to all of them, but they are located a tad out of the way next to Canyon Lodge, and I don't think the shuttles run up there. I've used all of the options mentioned above at least once as we go to Mammoth once or twice a year.

Tom's Place is nice, and make sure to get a shake at the restaurant (they are legendary, and rightly so). Tom's Place has less lodging opportunities and fewer luxuries, but it has far fewer tourists and is indeed much more laid back than Mammoth. Its mainly populated by people coming in to fish Crowley, Rock Creek, and Convict lakes. Depending on your transportation plans, Tom's Place may be a little more difficult to manage than staying in Mammoth.

DaFireMedic
08-08-2013, 16:04
Oh, and Mammoth is at higher altitude than Yosemite Valley, so you would be acclimating there as well. You need a backcountry permit to stay in the backpackers campground and its supposed to be only for one night, but I doubt you would have any problems. The rangers do occasionally check permits there, but they don't seem to be too concerned, as long as you do have your permit. If need be, go to the wilderness center and grab a permit for any hike available, and use that permit for the camground until you pick up your JMT permit.

Siestita
08-08-2013, 17:11
I've had two good hiking related stays at a Mammoth Lakes hostel (perhaps the only one), "The Davidson Guest House". Hostel bunks there now cost $29. The hostel is "up the hill", near where the road to Mammoth Mountains Ski resort separates from the side road to Lake Mary. That's not in the lower the area of town containing the Post Office, Ranger Station (with back country permits, grocery store, the lodging establishments that others have mentioned above, and the Mc Donalds from which the daily shuttle leaves for Toulemne and Yosemite Valley. Walking to those lower locations from the hostel took me about 45 minutes.

On the other hand, the hostel is pretty close to the resort complex from which the mountain bike shuttle departs upwards to Mammoth Mountain Lodge, the spot that is in turn the departure point for the Red's Meadow shuttle. It's only a five minute walk from the Davidson Street hostel to the bike shuttle.

I've also camped enjoyably at the backpacker site within the Forest Service Campground right at Reds Meadow, economically sharing that space with several other parties. Unlike the other campgrounds near in that valley, that campground at Red's has hot spring fed showers and is close to a restaurant and store, operated by a horse outfitter. They once held a resupply package several days for me, for $1 per day.

Sly
08-08-2013, 19:19
One option you may want to consider is to take the shuttle from the Valley to TM and take a couple days acclimating at the backpackers camp (it's only $3-5 a day).

The store there is good enough to resupply. There's restaurants and showers within walking distance.

An entry permit starting from TM is much easier to get than from Happy Isle.

Hike north to Cloud Rest, Half Dome and the Valley, take a shuttle back up and continue your hike south to Whitney.

Dogwood
08-09-2013, 17:46
Motel 6 is the cheapest hotel that is also centrally located to ML and is across from a very good outfitter. The Forest Service CG across from McDonalds is nice at 5 or $10/night and is centrally located to ML too. Never stayed at Davidsons(I have friends that now live in ML). YV Backpackers CG allows two nights stay. Last time it was 5 or $10/night and is within walking distance or the free YV shuttle bus to all the sights in YV including a bus stop to Happy isles. You could do Sly's rec on staying at TM and hiking DOWN to YV and taking the YARTS shuttle bus back to TM essentially doing a short flip flop and having less permit competition! That scenario may enable yo take in the Giant Redwood grove too on Tioga pass Rd about 10 miles below TM.

wornoutboots
08-10-2013, 14:10
Thanks again everyone!! I've Priceline'd the Mammoth Lakes Econolodge for $70+tx. It's within walking distance to the Mammoth Lakes Brewery where I plan on Acclimating The 1st night when I arrive ;) Day 2 I plan on taking a bus around to whole area to see the sites while acclimating & staying in TM CG Day 3 move over to Yosemite CG & day hike up to the JMT/Glacier Point trail connection & back to acclimated. Day 4 catch a shuttle or hitch up to the Glacier Point TH & hit the trail.

Sly
08-10-2013, 14:19
I suggested a couple days at TM campground to get acclimated which he's not likely to do (as well) in the valley.

wornoutboots
08-10-2013, 14:25
Gotcha Sly, I may do that but I figured staying in the valley, & dayhiking up past the Falls to GP connection would assist with that as well. I appreciate all your help!!!