PDA

View Full Version : Zip off shorts that are actually short?

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 08:26
I have a 30 inch inseam and I would like to buy a pair of zip off shorts that when I zip off the legs are actually short (as in several inches above the knees) all the ones I have seen come down to my knees or go beyond my knees.

Anybody know of any manufactures a pair of zip off shorts that have a 4 or 5 inch inseam when they are shorts rather than the typical 10 or 12?

Thanks in advance.

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2013, 08:33
Wait there is a reason - zip off or technical pants have three features
1.leggings that go over your boots
2. pockets deep enough so when you sit down stuff doesn't fall out
3. strong but light weight over jeans. (comfort)

by going shorter #2 isn't possible or practical... but they did make them look in clearance area's of Dick's Sporting Goods.

moytoy
08-08-2013, 08:38
I have some Gander Mtn Guide series that are two inches above my knees. Nylon and pretty good quality. I also have some exofficio pants that are a little lighter but knee length. .

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 08:40
Not worried about #2. The shorts need not have pockets at all. Just be short and have zip off legs.

The Cleaner
08-08-2013, 08:40
#1 reason I will not use them.I have some Columbia PFG nylon shorts and now pack (in warmer months) Exofficio Nomad long pants (about 8-10ozs) for camp or cooler days.If it warms up I just stop & change to shorts...got on E-Bay 20$...

moytoy
08-08-2013, 08:41
WOO is correct about the shallow pockets. My Gander Mtn. shorts have a shallower pockets than the exofficio shorts.

Drybones
08-08-2013, 09:03
North Face Paramount (not Paramount Peak). I have them and love everything about them except they're too short.

Slo-go'en
08-08-2013, 10:18
I was looking at some zip off pants at EMS and thought "wow, the shorts section is really short". Then I noticed they were for woman, who designers apparently belive desire to show as much leg as possible, even while hiking. Not that I'm complaining...

treesloth
08-08-2013, 11:23
I was looking at some zip off pants at EMS and thought "wow, the shorts section is really short". Then I noticed they were for woman, who designers apparently belive desire to show as much leg as possible, even while hiking. Not that I'm complaining...

Next up - Daisy Duke zip-offs.

The Old Boot
08-08-2013, 11:37
I have a 30 inch inseam and I would like to buy a pair of zip off shorts that when I zip off the legs are actually short (as in several inches above the knees) all the ones I have seen come down to my knees or go beyond my knees.

Anybody know of any manufactures a pair of zip off shorts that have a 4 or 5 inch inseam when they are shorts rather than the typical 10 or 12?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem...well actually worse cause my inseam is wayyyy shorter than 30".

After much searching for zip/off/convertible pants that wouldn't have the shorts be capri's on me and the boot zips come to my toes, I ended up with a pattern from Sunset Bay (ordered from Rockywoods.com.

If you don't sew, find a seamstress who does...the pattern is definitely not for beginners.

I ordered enough Taslan to make 2 pairs of pants. Pattern and 2 sets of material came to just over $40.00. Zippers and other necessities not included in price.

Stir Fry
08-08-2013, 11:57
Try a Kilt, Its one of the most comfortable ways to hike that I have found. In cold weather I just use Long Johns.

slbirdnerd
08-08-2013, 12:05
I assume they make them for men, but I like my (fairly cheap) Columbus PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) zip offs for hiking. They are pretty short. I got them online at Cabela's.

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2013, 21:23
Next up - Daisy Duke zip-offs.

A----Men! Can I quote you on that?

I assume they make them for men, but I like my (fairly cheap) Columbus PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) zip offs for hiking. They are pretty short. I got them online at Cabela's.

I find this strange as a fashion statement... as a young State Certified Lifeguard in 79 we wore red Speedo.... Now the young wear Hawaii decorated long shorts...

79 > https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTitD_4GDewNgJI2-O0gc_zO4QWdq6VumCByHHoNCceR13XFRNE Today>>>http://www.internationaljock.com/v3/prd_speedo-men%E2%80%99s-mesh-reversible-short-red.xlg?partno=4318&view=tall I will let the cool girls decide.....

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 21:29
Mr. Owl -- I am looking for shorts that are the mid point of the two you posted.

To the others thank you for the suggestion I have check their various websites looks like the brands/models have been discontinued in favor of longer shorts.

Looks like I am going either going to have to go with having them made using Old Boots pattern or stick with not using zip offs.

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2013, 21:31
Never take an old owl seriously there is always a pun - didn't mean to ruin your thread... man,

and no - I think I can find what you want... need a waist and length size.... would you like some real help?

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 21:37
You didn't ruin the thread, I though your comparisons over the years was funny.

I am 30x30.

Malto
08-08-2013, 22:04
How about finding the ultimate lightweight shorts and stripped down, non convertible pants? (I actually buy REI Sahara pant, cut off the pockets and belt loops, very light and no poky things when I wear them to bed.) You may find that is lighter weight, more versatile and you don't have to compromise.

snifur
08-08-2013, 22:28
Make snap conversion pants yourself. i did and they are way more comfortable than zippers around the thigh. find a pair of pants you like with the color and fabric that fit the waist but are 4 inches longer than what you want. cut them to the length on the thigh that you want. hem the cut area and insert equally spaced snaps. I did the same to a pare of athletic shorts and added an old pair of rain pant leggings. (found the rain pants at goodwill) less weight, more purpose, and highly fashionable.

snifur
08-08-2013, 22:30
zipp-offs are dumb, uncomfortable, and nearly impossible in the dark.

slbirdnerd
08-09-2013, 12:16
I find this strange as a fashion statement... as a young State Certified Lifeguard in 79 we wore red Speedo.... Now the young wear Hawaii decorated long shorts...

What does this have to do with my post? Anyway, OP, I meant Columbia and you should take a look at them. They fall right between the speedo's and bermuda shorts. The cool girls like guys who make sense. ;)

Feral Bill
08-09-2013, 12:25
[QUOTE= The cool girls like guys who make sense. ;)[/QUOTE]

Good luck finding one.

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 12:38
JustaTouron- Try the woman's versions of the style you prefer- as mentioned they are cut a bit shorter. Roughly a 12 or 14 but women's clothes are all over the map with vanity sizing. A better question- can anyone show me zip off pants that weigh less than either of these combos- Lightweight running shorts/wind pants or Skirt/Capiline long undies or skirt/wind pant (my favorite- about 4 oz total)? Unless you are doing bushwacking or late season trails with lots of overgrowth- either of those combos are generally better choice. I know some folks are die-hard zip off people, but I gave up long ago.

adamkrz
08-09-2013, 12:54
Just recently purchased at EMS online a pair of convertable pants that were on clearance because they were to short for most, They area nylon/spandex blend with zippered deep pockets, these have become my favorite pants and shorts..

Dogwood
08-09-2013, 16:57
I look for short shorts in zip-offs too Justatouron. The closest and lightest wt I found are an Ex Officio and a now discontinued EMS style. Both had deep pockets on each side too. The Columbia stuff seems cheaply made to me, especially the seam stitching. If you find something PM me. I'd like to know what you find.