PDA

View Full Version : How long is your... HAIR!

Dirtyoldman
01-04-2003, 08:04
Prompted by a discussion of how to get a hair cut....

smokymtnsteve
01-04-2003, 10:17
Does This poll include armpit hair??

(people are weird)

Dirtyoldman
01-04-2003, 10:59
I think we should limit it to the stuff that grows on top of our heads...

RagingHampster
01-04-2003, 11:22
SIR! Reporting as ordered SIR!

For about 2 years now I have been shaving my head once a week. Electric Razor costs $15. Takes me about 3 minutes to buzz my own head. No shampoo, just a bar of soap.

I use to have a flat-top, which ran me $15 every other week, $15 a month in shampoo & Gel, and not to mention the time spent sticking it up every morning.

Either shave it yourself, or let it grow long. Both styles look good no matter what sex you are.

I also keep my face shaven. I can't seem to grow the connector pieces that link stache and beard. Pisses me off. I need rogaine for connector pieces or something. Speaking of rogaine, when you finally do go bald, having a buzz cut will make the transition much easier. Nothing worse than a bad comb-over lol.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2003, 12:03
Hair to middle of my back. Big ass bushy beard.

kythruhiker
01-04-2003, 12:06
I've done the "corporate" ponytail look for a few years now - I think the last visit to the barber was in Spring of 2001.

prozac
01-04-2003, 12:31
Used to get it cut high and tight but just shave it all off now. Extremely low maintenance and makes checking for ticks that much easier. By the way, thats not a smiley face icon, its an actual photo.PROZAC

Footslogger
01-04-2003, 12:35
If we limit this thread to only that which grows on our heads we run the risk of leaving out all those (like me) who are follicularly challenged :rolleyes:

smokymtnsteve
01-04-2003, 15:11
you tellem TOOT ...how bout teeth..you got any teeth???

SGT Rock
01-04-2003, 19:17
Short.

Redbeard
01-05-2003, 01:43
Redbeard, aka Valhalla, 'nuff said

brown bess
01-05-2003, 09:31
the closer i get to springer...the shorter my hair gets!!!

what does this mean??? lol.

brown bess

Hammock Hanger
01-05-2003, 09:59
I had short, very short hair for 18 years. I started growing it long 2 years before the hike, so that I could put it in braids and forget it. It grew very fast on the trail. HH

Footslogger
01-05-2003, 11:26
Hey HH ...you mean there's hope for me yet ?? Do you think all my hair will grow back in ...and FAST on the trail this year ??

smokymtnsteve
01-05-2003, 11:49
havng thin hair and a bald head also has it considerations...one needs to be careful about the sun...not having hair on the top of my head I have to be very careful to always wear a hat..or a bandanna as the top of my head blisters pretty quick ..this is esp important in the winter and early spring before the trees leaf in...the sun can be very strong and you not relize it because the temp are cool but the sun can still be very strong even on days that are a little overcast ...I also try and use a sunscreen esp when hiking at times the the tress are not leafed in ..a sunscreen is probably more important at this time of year for everyone...but esp for us ole bald headed guys...

Jumpstart
01-14-2003, 17:49
We quoted this often on the trail:

I ain't got no clothes,
My beard grows to my toes,
so I wraps my hair
around my bare
and down the road I goes!

--Poem by Shel Silverstein, children's author:D

Mine grew significantly faster on the trail...and it's long long long. Long was easier to maintain for the reasons HH mentioned: throw it in braids, it's out of your face, and stays clean longer. Arm and leg hair, though, I carried a bic razor and relished in the fact at being the only lady-like girl on the trail :D

EarlyRiser
01-14-2003, 21:41
i agree, longer hair is much easyer. ive been growing my hair out for a few years and its much easyer to manage on the trail.

PushingDaisies
01-14-2003, 22:14
I have long hair (waist lenght) and it's dreaded. If it wasn't dreaded it would be down past my knees. :D

No visits to any kind of hair stylist for me!

slabfoot
01-15-2003, 02:21
one inch long overall but close around the ears and neck. still just a shorthaired hippie!

icemanat95
06-25-2003, 11:43
Short! Less than 1 inch overall. On the trail I shaved my head about 1 time per month. Made vermin checks easy and just about zero maintenance. I'd go high and tight to this day if my wife would let me, but she doesn't like that style.

Mala
06-25-2003, 21:22
I am bald with a ponytail to the middle of my back, my last haircut was October of '96. I trim my beard every three months if I need it or not. My freak flag flies high.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2003, 21:31
I had a long pony tail 2 weeks ago but got it chopped off to 1/4 inch.

MadAussieInLondon
06-26-2003, 07:04
no hair on top, it gets a #1 or .5, its just stubble.. had me a goatee down to my belly button.. had to shave it off to join the police force tho back then.. now i have the constant every-other-month growth coz i never shave it much

HippieLongstockings
11-20-2003, 11:24
I was talking about the hair on my legs. oops

Rain Man
11-21-2003, 10:08
havng thin hair and a bald head also has it considerations...one needs to be careful about the sun...not having hair on the top of my head I have to be very careful to always wear a hat.....but esp for us ole bald headed guys...

SMS is absolutely right. I'm in the same boat. A few years ago I went on a family vacation to the beach and had my hair cut as short as it had ever been, so I could slather on sun-block on my bald head, without having greasy hair.

I never "went back" to longer hair. In fact I've cut it shorter and shorter. Now it's 1/8th of an inch. I love it short! So easy to maintain. :)

BUT... I wear a hat all seasons faithfully!!!

Rain Man

Moon Monster
11-22-2003, 23:48
I shave to cue ball both on the trail and in regular life. On the trail, I used cheapo two-blade razors dry and then finished in the shower. In Fontana, I lost the hot water and rushed my way through getting some nice gouges in my scalp as a result. Luckily I already had a trail name by then or I could have gotten one from that event.

At home, I use expensive Mach 3 in the shower with oil, never cream or gel. Average monthly haircair bill:$5.

karensioux
11-23-2003, 17:46
Hey HH ...you mean there's hope for me yet ?? Do you think all my hair will grow back in ...and FAST on the trail this year ??
I got the chemo hair style..........NONE........I sure hope the trail makes mine grow too! Although not shaving arms and legs is cool. On the other hand you never know how much you need nose hair until it is gone! :jump

squirrel bait
01-21-2004, 21:12
Flattop ya could land a plane on. No gel, no stickin up in the morning, bar of soap scrubbed through it and cut once a month. Raging H, ya gotta have the hair for it.

Brushy Sage
01-22-2004, 09:26
After years of being a preacher type and a military type, I purely enjoyed letting my white hair and beard grow long for an AT hike. It's still long, with ponytail, though the beard is trimmed just a bit more neatly for city living (Asheville, where Bohemian is ok for the most part). And I have met a lady who likes long hair on a man. Main problem is that, as "old age" advances upon me, the front of my scalp is showing more and more. You wouldn't believe the amount of hair that came out in my daily brushing on the trail. No comb overs, though. What you see is what you get.

Jaybird
01-23-2004, 11:08
since i started losing my hair a few years ago....i started doing some serious hiking & discovered....the hair should be the least of my worries while on the trail....so, i buzz it.

1/4 inch all the way around for my trail "do". ;)

the beard always stays!

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004

Thomas Hughes
02-23-2004, 19:30
I have hair down to my back. I saved the sides so when I where a hard hat or a base ball hat you couldn't tell I have long hair. If it gets to hot or in the way, I pull it up in my sawdbuster hat or base ball hat. I also find that the hair keeps some of the heat in too.

Matt Pincham
02-26-2004, 07:28
I'm going to get a crew cut before I go and then let it go for a few months then probably get it cut again once I get the chance. Definitely wouldn't want hair longer than 2 or 3 inches on the trail. I pity my poor girlfriend...must be a nightmare looking after long hair.

Hammock Hanger
07-08-2004, 13:48
Reporting for duty sir!!

Oh my! - I went to get my final "trail haircut" today. I mean I had already butched it pretty good about a month and a half ago. I was explaining what I was doing, hiking and all. I told the girl I needed to get a little more off the top. Well we live near a Navy Base and the girl asked if I wanted a military cut. I said sure why not. WHY NOT!!! Because there isn't any hair left!! I meet my son's girlfriend for the first time this weekend... I forgot about that until after the haircut. My husband says I can wear a hat! Good news is I can wash it with a handful of water. :) Sue/HH

Hammock Hanger
07-08-2004, 13:50
I got the chemo hair style..........NONE........I sure hope the trail makes mine grow too! Although not shaving arms and legs is cool. On the other hand you never know how much you need nose hair until it is gone! :jump
Karen I hope it grows in... I figure it should look good just about the time I am tdone, say 6 weeks. At the moment the hair on my legs is longer then my head and I just shaved a day ago!!! :bse Sue/HH

mmills316
07-08-2004, 14:04
Short enough to keep cool, long enough that I will never get a sunburn on my scalp.

Mags
07-08-2004, 14:10
Since 18, I've have had a "buzz cut". During winter it is all of 1/4", during the summer it is 1/8". Before the AT in 1998, cut ir really short (1/8") let it grow the whole time. After the trail, had hair to part for the first time in many years. :) Just before doing the PCT in 2002, thought it would be neat to grow my hair long enough to put into a pony tail. As my hair line was receeding , figure it was "now or never". Well, tell you what: I HATE LONG HAIR ON THE TRAIL! I'd get into town and it would be all greasy and was murder in the desert. As soon I arrived at a hostel, buzzed it to 1/8". Ah...much better.

I paid $15 for clippers and continue to buzz my hair. As my hair continues to thin out and receede, it is also the best way for me to go. :)

Currently clean shaven, but my trail beard ain't too shabby! Insert your jokes about pirates and/or Bedouins here. :)

http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/and

Stuart
07-08-2004, 14:24
Buzzed as short as I can get it without actually shaving it. When it get's really long, like 1/4 inch I can't stand it and bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Only problem can be sunburn.

Rain Man
07-08-2004, 16:13
... At the moment the hair on my legs is longer then my head and I just shaved a day ago!!!

Uh ... that might fall under the heading of TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!
:jump
Rain Man

wacocelt
07-08-2004, 16:18
Hair to middle of my back. Big ass bushy beard.

LW you forgot a comma, I'll help you out...

Hair to middle of my back. Big ass, bushy beard. :D

PS I know you can find out where I live, please don't hurt meh.

Hammock Hanger
07-08-2004, 16:19
Uh ... that might fall under the heading of TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!
:jump
Rain Man.
Ya know my daughter is always saying that.... TMI, Mom!!

I just thought you all shoud know...:D Sue/HH

Pencil Pusher
07-09-2004, 00:09
I tried that bald stuff, but I really hate to shave all the time so it was annoying. With one or two days growth on my head I was the human velcro patch. The shirt would get hung up there trying to take it on and off, lint would collect and the people at work freaked out. I wish I could grow my hair long, but it just turns into a big fro and everyone calls me Mr Carter. I tried the scraggly beard for a few months and didn't much like it, other than not having to shave. Even went the way of the mullet for a couple of years. Now, it's short but not short enough that folks think I'm in the military. So it varies from Mr. Carter to somewhat short and beard to stubble, depending on my mood. Whereas all the guys in my family have the same haircut and style, year after year after year. I've always been too chicken to dye the hair though. Maybe someday...

PS You people are weird...;)

UCONNMike
08-11-2004, 20:47
only 7 short days ago i had a good head of hair on me, I'm talking gettin close to the shoulders, and i decided to shave it after a hike in very humid weather, i couldnt take it...for summer i'm a sir yes sir kinda guy, come winter me barber misses the business

Mountain Dew
08-12-2004, 02:52
Wacocelt...... hahahahaaaaaaaa funny !

I shave my head smooth like both on and off the trail.

sgtjinx
08-12-2004, 11:20
I have been shaving my head for about 3 to 4 years now. I kept it short in the Army. I do miss having hair down to center of my back, but I just don't do the No hair in the front long in the back crap!:D

MisterSweetie
08-16-2004, 16:19
I have about 15 inch long hair. I consider my head a farm, however, as I donate my hair to Locks of Love (www.locksoflove.org). They make wigs for kids with cancer out of my hair. I'm actually getting ready to get my hair cut again, and make the donation. Minimum length is 10 inches.

If you go to the site, be sure to look at the before/after pictures of both donors and acceptors. It's quite amazing how different the kids look with the new hair!

Streamweaver
08-16-2004, 16:40
I tried that bald stuff, but I really hate to shave all the time so it was annoying. With one or two days growth on my head I was the human velcro patch. The shirt would get hung up there trying to take it on and off, lint would collect and the people at work freaked out. I wish I could grow my hair long, but it just turns into a big fro and everyone calls me Mr Carter. I tried the scraggly beard for a few months and didn't much like it, other than not having to shave. Even went the way of the mullet for a couple of years. Now, it's short but not short enough that folks think I'm in the military. So it varies from Mr. Carter to somewhat short and beard to stubble, depending on my mood. Whereas all the guys in my family have the same haircut and style, year after year after year. I've always been too chicken to dye the hair though. Maybe someday...

PS You people are weird...;)

You mean Mr kotter? As in Welcome back kotter?? LOL I had a freind years ago that had a BIG red fro!! You could see him coming a long way off in a fog!! He also had a pink VW Bug!! he even painted the tires pink! The 70s were weird!!

eyahiker
08-16-2004, 17:06
Just my opinion, ladies like long hair.

and kilts.

Even if they are with a clean cut military guy ( which is also sexy), they look at long hair. Something primal and natural about it I guess.
Post a photo! No pony tails.

Comments ladies?

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 19:22
HH, I've always wanted to do that, but recently I was talking to a guy who got a buzz. He said "man that would be wierd, then you'd walk in to college and be known as the freak..." that put me off. I can't cope with anything from about 3inches longer. an inch is good. Currently growing hair for prom. I like the shaggy look, or else something that's "wierd".

titanium_hiker

(I like beards, but for hair it needs to be controlled if long. (unless it's curly.) )

and I like kilts. :)

:banana

cupcake
02-08-2005, 21:40
my hair is already long enough to braid ---- but i hope it grows longer, and fast! long braids! beautiful LONG braids!!!! long silver streaked, looooong braids! (do you sense the enthusiasm?)

Baldy
02-08-2005, 21:53
Mines short, about a half an inch overall. I have really curly hair with natural finger-waves, but don't like to maintain it, so it's easier to just put the half-inch guard on the trimmer and lop it off.

Panama Red
02-08-2005, 22:08
i used to have long hair but it kept ripping out when i worked

UCONNMike
02-08-2005, 23:24
only 7 short days ago i had a good head of hair on me, I'm talking gettin close to the shoulders, and i decided to shave it after a hike in very humid weather, i couldnt take it...for summer i'm a sir yes sir kinda guy, come winter me barber misses the business
haha, this is a great thread, i laughed reading the posts again. but i am changing my opinion, i have been growing my hair since thanksgiving, and i am not cutting it til i finish my hike whihc will be sometime near the end of september, i never grew it that long and i figure its the last time i really can go for it, plus i cant grow a beard, so i need somekind of grizzy adams look

ffstenger
02-09-2005, 04:01
My hair seems to always be wet with sweat so I keep it short. My ugly face,
however is covered with the beard !!

Jaybird
02-09-2005, 07:37
i'm still planning on visiting the barber shop & getting the $5 dollar buzz!

i wear my hair (or whats left of it) short anyway (about 1"-2")...so, its NOT gonna be much of a change for me hittin' the trail...

section-hikin (w/ "the Model T crew Apr 28-May 5 Hot Springs,NC to Erwin,TN
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap to Erwin, TN
May 8-21 Damascus to Pearisburg,VA

NICKTHEGREEK
02-09-2005, 08:44
One is 2 inches long the other 3 are about 2.5 inches. Being bald makes answering this question easy

VAMTNHIKER
02-09-2005, 12:45
...been five years since I retired from the Navy... my wife tried getting me to grow it longer and go to her "style shop"... back to what I was used to for 24 years... especially during the summer while hiking... have you heard the term "Med Head"??!!

...the $15 per haircut I save.... I invest in gear and books... :D

Whistler
02-09-2005, 16:03
I've been cutting my own hair with scissors for maybe 8-9 years. It takes a while to get used to, but it's quick and cheap. I keep it all in the 3-4 inch range, and do a trim every week or so to make sure I maintain that Outside/ Backpacker/ GQ hiker look.
-Mark

lightning
02-09-2005, 16:09
i've always been a long-haired hiker. shoulder-length and beyond.

/:cool:\

Buckingham
07-11-2005, 01:41
The day before my first section hike 12 years ago, I lost a bet to my buddy. After sporting a bad mullet-like cone for far too long, I was forced to shave my head bald. Being an idiot, I did'nt think to bring a hat with me on the hike. My head turned as red as a pig roasting on a pit. I gave up on the futile attempt to grow hippie hair after that trip, and opted for the old buzz cut, but from now on, I always take a hat with me when I travel the trail.

fiddlehead
07-11-2005, 22:13
this year i've achieved another goal in my life. My dreads finally reaches my butt! (one of them anyway) the rest are close

CynJ
10-14-2005, 07:42
Mines almost to the middle of my back....except for the bangs which I can't seem to let grow out. I think I will forever and always be hairspray dependant (at least for work ;) - when I am in the wood I generally look like who did it an ran!)

Hubby buzzes his whole head with clippers then uses his electric razor -its funny that the man with no hair wants me to grow mine down to my butt! lol....

Edited to add: About a year ago I chopped mine up to my ears and donated it to Locks of Love (http://www.locksoflove.org/) - they make hairpieces for children with cancer and other diseases. If you have long hair and are contemplating cutting it - this is a wonderful way to help a child. And you can get a free haircut out of the deal.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-15-2005, 08:20
I get mine cut very short for hiking. The male dino keeps his short (retired military).

HikerHobo
01-02-2006, 09:39
I still let my freak flag fly !

Back in the early 60's you could trust just about any man with long hair, if you know what I mean. The authorities hadn't figured it out yet, and they hadn't had the time to grow their hair out long. However, you couldn't trust anyone over 30.

:cool:

Heater
01-12-2006, 07:14
Mine was middle of the back long most of my life but I keep it pretty short now. I buzz it occasionally with the 1 inch comb on the electric clippers then trim it up. Cost per month, free.:)

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 08:14
Is short (masculine-length, e.g., above the collar).

An old saying is that 'women with small chests shouldn't have short hair, unless they like being called "Sir" a lot'. I concur. Likewise, men, especially those under 5'10" tall who don't have substantial visible biceps, arguably shouldn't have long hair unless they like being called "Miss" every so often. I used to know a guy who would say with a straight face to hippies, "Excuse me, do you have the time, Miss?", but then, he's 6'4" and a weightlifter, and physically rather prepossessing. ;)

Oh, and adding large amounts of facial hair and/or tatoos aren't IMO really adequate approaches for avoiding this likelihood of a male being misapprehended as a woman if he chooses for some reason to wear hair length historically associated with traditional, feminine women. Both can result in additional negative appraisal, not to mention more and more women (especially the lower-class sort, socio-economically or at least WRT how ladylike they comport their lives) are sporting tatoos these days. BTW, for those of you living in cold climates, the research has been done. Facial hair doesn't actually help with cold temps very much; certainly not enough to make up for the price it carries in increased difficulty in maintaining good hygiene.

justusryans
01-12-2006, 08:54

An old saying is that 'women with small chests shouldn't have short hair, unless they like being called "Sir" a lot'. I concur. Likewise, men, especially those under 5'10" tall who don't have substantial visible biceps, arguably shouldn't have long hair unless they like being called "Miss" every so often. I used to know a guy who would say with a straight face to hippies, "Excuse me, do you have the time, Miss?", but then, he's 6'4" and a weightlifter, and physically rather prepossessing. ;)

Oh, and adding large amounts of facial hair and/or tatoos aren't IMO really adequate approaches for avoiding this likelihood of a male being misapprehended as a woman if he chooses for some reason to wear hair length historically associated with traditional, feminine women. Both can result in additional negative appraisal, not to mention more and more women (especially the lower-class sort, socio-economically or at least WRT how ladylike they comport their lives) are sporting tatoos these days. BTW, for those of you living in cold climates, the research has been done. Facial hair doesn't actually help with cold temps very much; certainly not enough to make up for the price it carries in increased difficulty in maintaining good hygiene.

My, aren't we homophobic and class conscious!:D

TAMBOURINE
01-12-2006, 09:13
you tellem TOOT ...how bout teeth..you got any teeth???LOL that was a good one:)

Heater
01-12-2006, 09:23

Oh, and adding large amounts of facial hair and/or tatoos aren't IMO really adequate approaches for avoiding this likelihood of a male being misapprehended as a woman if he chooses for some reason to wear hair length historically associated with traditional, feminine women.

My standard response to dumb hicks with gender identification issues... "why don't you just **** my **** and find out." The stupid look on their face was always priceless.

Jeeeze... did Minn. fall into some kind of 1940 time warp or something?

Both can result in additional negative appraisal, not to mention more and more women (especially the lower-class sort, socio-economically or at least WRT how ladylike they comport their lives) are sporting tatoos these days. BTW, for those of you living in cold climates, the research has been done. Facial hair doesn't actually help with cold temps very much; certainly not enough to make up for the price it carries in increased difficulty in maintaining good hygiene.

Oh, well you are just going to be a barrel of laughs on the AT. :rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 09:24
:rolleyes: I did not mention homosexuals ONCE in my post.
Since you brought the subject up, I admit without shame to having a reason-based, nonphobic opposition to the homosexual agenda (as I would be against avoidably allowing pollutants in a municipal drinking water supply), believing instead that homosexuals as a group tend to have a phobia about normal behavior. A short, well-written article discussing the term "homophobic" on this subject to increase your understanding of the word:

http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive/c-e/chapin/2004/chapin080504.htm

As far as being class-conscious, everyone on the planet with an IQ over 50 is precisely that. Try getting attractive, well-dressed women to go out on dates with you if you tell them that you don't own a car (BC you never learned how to drive, and have never been able to afford one anyway), are unemployed, broke, and still live with your parents (at an age over 25-YO).

Heater
01-12-2006, 09:27

I'd bet he'll be the lonliest "he-man" on the trail. :-?

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 09:54
The only ones that p*ss me off are p*ssing off everyone else around them. Examples of these:

1) people who, in shelters in the middle of the night, make prolonged major noise (clanging metal cookware together repeatedly, say) while going through their stuff or shine bright lights in other people's eyes;

2) let their soaking-wet dogs jump on strangers' bedding, let their dog steal or damage other people's food, or have the delusion that their dog is entitled to a human's spot in a full Trail shelter;

3) leave trash on the Trail or around shelters, or vandalize any part of the Trail;

4) use cell phones for repeated long calls in crowded shelters;

5) loudly play (c)rap/alternative/country music with extra "twang" anywhere along the Trail where I can hear it (headphones are cheap and simple to operate, after all);

6) use or carry controlled substances around other, unaffililiated people while on or near the Trail, or smoke tobacco in shelters when not alone;

7) steal, aggressively panhandle, or act or talk as if they might become violent toward other people (only self-defense of self/property or defense of an innocent ever justifies that for noncops/nonmil);

8) do anything to p*ss off good-hearted providers of Trail services or inhabitants of Trail towns so that those people start ending providing services and/or start hating hikers, and end up telling everyone they know that hikers are *sshole bums and not to have anything to do with them.

Yeah, those hikers p*ss me off. I don't like them, and don't care who knows it.

longshank
01-12-2006, 12:33
I've had both and find that short hair is easier to deal with, just pop a hat on and your ready to go...

longshank
01-12-2006, 12:37
I think you're a ****ing anti-christ.

walkingbear
01-12-2006, 12:48
keep it short, once a marine always a marine

semper fi, Paul

KirkMcquest
01-12-2006, 12:53
minnesota is one sick puppy

neo
01-12-2006, 14:12
i prefer the short clean cut military look,i am ex navy and my barber is ex navy barber,he was on an aircraft carrier:cool: neo

betic4lyf
01-12-2006, 15:22
when can i pop one out? not until you're eight

i cut my own hair. about two inches thick on top, one around the sides. it wasnt even that bad

longshank
01-13-2006, 14:45
when can i pop one out? not until you're eight

i cut my own hair. about two inches thick on top, one around the sides. it wasnt even that bad
go suck a *****....How does one suck 2 f****? I'm all ears...

longshank
01-13-2006, 14:48

I don't believe this thread was started to address the asthetics, sexual connotations of, or other people's reaction to the length of one's hair, but rather the pro's and con's of both in terms of functionality. Cool your jets.

Lumberjack
01-13-2006, 14:59
Wow it took two years for thread degeneration to occur.... must be a new record....

This thread was started by me as just a fun poll with no serious agenda in mind.

betic4lyf
01-13-2006, 19:34
i miss posted. i actually cut my hair two FINGERS thick on top and one FINGER on the sides i felt that i wouldnt spend more than ten dollars for a hair cut, and if i did that, they always do it badly. i figured that i could just as easily screw up my hair for free and i did

smokymtnsteve
01-13-2006, 19:45

well U know why those kinda boys protest so much ;)

justusryans
01-13-2006, 20:24
well U know why those kinda boys protest so much ;)

Me thinks he protests too much!!:D

smokymtnsteve
01-13-2006, 20:30
Me thinks he protests too much!!:D

Butch in the streets..

Fem in the sheets :rolleyes:

HikerHobo
01-13-2006, 22:51
After all these years, nothing has changed ! !

"TURN THE PAGE"

I think I could trust anyone who understood that phrase...

smokymtnsteve
01-13-2006, 22:53
here I am out on the road again.

BooBoo
01-13-2006, 23:16
My hair was down to the bottom of my neck and my goatee was past my collarbone. Hair and goatee are much shorter now. My hair is on the thin side so it looks like crap when its long.

Hey MinnesotaSmith take a trip up to Sturgis next summer and go up to the first bearded,longhaired Hell's Angel and call him Miss and see what happens!

minnesotasmith
01-14-2006, 07:23
My hair was down to the bottom of my neck and my goatee was past my collarbone. Hair and goatee are much shorter now. My hair is on the thin side so it looks like crap when its long.

Hey MinnesotaSmith take a trip up to Sturgis next summer and go up to the first bearded,longhaired Hell's Angel and call him Miss and see what happens!

He's in his own private self-made hell. There are numerous good jobs to which he can never aspire (not just well-paying s****y jobs, desirable jobs) due to how he has chosen to behave, plus he is fairly likely to end up repeatedly jailed, a drug addict, rejected by his family if they have the slightest class, not getting to have any kind of real & healthy family, getting HIV/herpes/hepatitis, dead from being on the losing end of a gang fight or a drug deal gone bad before half his life expectancy has gone by, etc., etc. While he's f'ing up his life (and that of everyone around him), I'm methodically getting ready to thru-hike the AT end-to-end, with other big hikes in mind after that. I much prefer my life and prospects over his.

Frog
01-14-2006, 08:47
In the 70s it was really long 1 foot or more now its all left me so ITS SHORT

minnesotasmith
01-14-2006, 08:56
He's in his own private self-made hell. There are numerous good jobs to which he can never aspire (not just well-paying s****y jobs, desirable jobs) due to how he has chosen to behave, plus he is fairly likely to end up repeatedly jailed, a drug addict, rejected by his family if they have the slightest class, not getting to have any kind of real & healthy family, getting HIV/herpes/hepatitis, dead from being on the losing end of a gang fight or a drug deal gone bad before half his life expectancy has gone by, etc., etc. While he's f'ing up his life (and that of everyone around him), I'm methodically getting ready to thru-hike the AT end-to-end, with other big hikes in mind after that. I much prefer my life and prospects over his.

I was referring above to the hypothetical Hell's Angel, not Boo-boo.

BTW, Smoky, if someone is secretly what they oppose or think badly of, that means that mainstream Democrats such as Michael Moore and Al Sharpton routinely have pictures of GWB in their closets surrounded by expensive candles that they masturbate to on Friday nights, Osama bin Laden wishes he could be in the USMC, Hillary Clinton's deepest desire is to become a faithful and deferential stay-at-home homeschooling married mother with 6 kids under the age of 10, male homosexuals really would prefer to have sex only with women, rich people all wish they were poor instead, etc. You can't really believe that, as it is preposterous.

grassyknoll44
02-12-2006, 18:29
I've got long hair and it can easily form into one giant knot. Before I thru hike I think I'll either have to cut it, or leave it in permanant ponytail braids.

Mammoth
02-13-2006, 00:46
I've got long hair and it can easily form into one giant knot. Before I thru hike I think I'll either have to cut it, or leave it in permanant ponytail braids.

My hair is to the tops of my thighs and I just double french braid and cover with a bandana on long hikes. I got really irritated once when it was in a bun and kept pushing against the top bar of my external frame. I hope that you don't have to cut your hair, but it sure would make thru-hiking easier without the Medusa hassle. :)

Red Hat
03-05-2006, 20:01
I don't know if I ever signed this one before or not... At present (3/06) my hair is waist length. That's pretty long for an old lady. Some people are presumptuous enough to tell me that I should cut it as "long hair ages a woman"... LOL I guess women 100 years ago aged a lot, as they would never dream of cutting their hair! When I want to look professional or dressed up, a soft bun works (I have a variety including figure 8, infinity - sideways 8, cinnamon bun, and french twist). But when I want to go casual, I have even more variety (ponytail, single braid, double braid, french braid, dutch braid, rope twist, etc) I never have to blow dry or curl and it actually is less work than back when I had short hair.

carolinahiker
03-06-2006, 00:18
Keep the hair short and shaved my beard gives the wife thigh rash ha ha lol

Grampie
03-06-2006, 09:58
During my thru I got a free buz cut at Trail Days. And didn't get it cut again until I finished. I'll never forget a girl, Rooster, who had red hair down to her sholders. She got a buz cut too. While she was getting it cut, she cried her eys out.

No Belay
03-09-2006, 22:19
We quoted this often on the trail:

I ain't got no clothes,
My beard grows to my toes,
so I wraps my hair
around my bare
and down the road I goes!

--Poem by Shel Silverstein, children's author:D

:p Great verse. I have to laugh everytime I see Shel tagged as a childrens author. Check out "Freakin At The Freakers Ball" album (yea album) sometime. Shel's 101 intro course to poetry.

"Lord,help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am."

wilderness bob
03-10-2006, 19:08
I shaved it of completly when I retired from the military and have not cut it since. To date, 27 months and still growing, about a third of the way down my back. If I ever do cut it all off again, it will be donated to the "Locks of Love" foundation to be made into a wig for someone who is fighting cancer.

BooBoo
03-12-2006, 03:25
Samson and Jesus had long hair.

BDT
06-17-2006, 14:25
I cut my hair every six months then grow it into a fro.

Ridge
06-17-2006, 14:44
"Let it fly in the breeze
And get
caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor,
the wonder
Of my...

Hair, hair, hair, hair"

Heater
06-17-2006, 14:58
Mine was middle of the back long most of my life but I keep it pretty short now. I buzz it occasionally with the 1 inch comb on the electric clippers then trim it up. Cost per month, free.:)

About 2 weeks after I wrote that, (end of Feb. 06) I shaved my head clean. Man, it was cold. Won't do that again. :eek:

Now summer is upon us and it's time for amother 1" buzz cut.

Nate
07-11-2006, 00:56
Its funny I found this poll today because my dad and mom stated a couple of months ago that I was worthless, stupid for going to leave home, and them paying for anything, was over. Didn't think a whim about it though. Want to know how to nearly kill a set of cristian, republican, southern, old- fashioned, stone set & stone hearted, do-as-your told till hell freezes over, and religously conserivative parents? Don't touch, don't even think of touching, a razor or sissors for a couple of months. I find it much easier for me now, when I'm walking out the door and my dad looks at me and shakes his head. I simply reply " Why dad, Jesus wore sandals and oh no, he had a beard and long hair too, you know, just like me!" Hair's not bad on the trail either, just put it up in a bun and go. I've wanted long hair ever since I lestened to Greg Allman for the first time when I was nine and this was the best way to fulfill my want.
NATE

Remember just like that guitar god Eric Clapton said, "LET IT GROW, LET IT GROW..."

Jaybird
07-11-2006, 05:22
Its funny I found this poll today because my dad and mom stated a couple of months ago that I was worthless, stupid for going to leave home,...........etc.,etc.,etc.,................... ...BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,................................ ........ NATE
Remember just like that guitar god Eric Clapton said, "LET IT GROW, LET IT GROW..."

Nate, my man...NO REASON to DIS the parents just because they dis-agree...
they get smarter as you get older....hehehehehehehe:D

AND, by the way....CLAPTON was talking about LOVE... NOT your HAIR when he sang: "Let it Grow".

Eric Clapton - Let It Grow Lyrics

Standing at the crossroads, trying to read the signs
To tell me which way I should go to find the answer,
And all the time I know,
Plant your love and let it grow.

[Chorus:]
Let it grow, let it grow,
Let it blossom, let it flow.
In the sun, the rain, the snow,
Love is lovely, let it grow.

Looking for a reason to check out of my mind,
Trying hard to get a friend that I can count on,
But there's nothing left to show,

[Chorus]

Time is getting shorter and there's much for you to do.
Only ask and you will get what you are needing,
The rest is up to you.

Nate
07-11-2006, 12:57
AND, by the way....CLAPTON was talking about LOVE... NOT your HAIR when he sang: "Let it Grow".

I Love my hair. :-?

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 13:07
I love my hair too.... Short.

Mother's Finest
07-11-2006, 15:41
right on Nate....let that freak flag fly.

I am in my second round of long hair. Had long hair in college, cut it off for the "real world". Now that I have my own business, there is nothing more real than that, so I said heck with it, it is down to my shoulders again.

to each his own.....

peace
MF

nhalbrook
07-11-2006, 18:33
1/2" to 2". Get it cut 5 or 6 times a year whether it needs to be or not. Shampoo ... what's shampoo ... bar soap makes suds.