PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations matt kirk on your record setting hike

canoe
08-08-2013, 18:17
CONGRATS MATT!!! Matt is off the trail after finishing on the summit of Springer Mountain on Wednesday, August 7th @ 7:20 pm!

Way to go Matt. That is one heck of a hike. Rest up ... we cant wait to hear from you

Grits
08-08-2013, 18:28
CONGRATS MATT!!! Matt is off the trail after finishing on the summit of Springer Mountain on Wednesday, August 7th @ 7:20 pm!

Way to go Matt. That is one heck of a hike. Rest up ... we cant wait to hear from you Canoe how about some details on what Matt accomplished I have missed this one. (self supported under 60 days) He has not got much posted yet on his blog. One amazing hiker. http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/
:clap

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 18:28
congrats on completing a thru hike

Blissful
08-08-2013, 18:38
It was interesting to see the photo of him and Jenn Pharr Davis together. Supported and unsupported recorder holders. 23235

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 19:18
It was interesting to see the photo of him and Jenn Pharr Davis together. Supported and unsupported recorder holders. 23235

Cool that's a great picture!! :)

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 20:04
Congrats Matt on something only you can understand, but we can all appreciate! Get some food brother!

lambsknoll
08-08-2013, 20:17
New balance 110s. So cool. I wonder if he used them exclusively and if so how many pairs he went through.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2013, 20:17
you done good young man

canoe
08-08-2013, 20:18
! Matt Kirk broke the self-supported Appalachian Trail Katadin to Springer in 58 days, 9 hours, and 40 minutes!" Awsome!!!!!!!

canoe
08-08-2013, 20:22

Not only interesting... but that is a real class act for Jenn to be there. She knows how important the moment is

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 20:23
For those of you who didn't get a chance to read her words- here is Jennifer Pharr Davis's facebook post-

"Congrats to Matt Kirk who set the unsupported AT Record last evening. He finished in just under 58.5 days. That means he shaved two days off a 23 year old record. I am in awe. It couldn't have happened to a nicer, more humble guy who really, really, loves the trail."

Del Q
08-08-2013, 20:30
Inspirational

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 20:30
For those of you who didn't get a chance to read her words- here is Jennifer Pharr Davis's facebook post-

"Congrats to Matt Kirk who set the unsupported AT Record last evening. He finished in just under 58.5 days. That means he shaved two days off a 23 year old record. I am in awe. It couldn't have happened to a nicer, more humble guy who really, really, loves the trail."

YAY!! I love to hear this... it couldn't have happened to a nicer more humble guy...that's the bomb!! :) He must be sooo happy (and tired/hungry ) right now!!

Malto
08-08-2013, 20:34
If i still lived in GA I would buy him a dinner, or two, three or more. Wow, he looks like crap, a walking skeleton. (In the most admirable way I may add.).

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 20:34
YAY!! I love to hear this... it couldn't have happened to a nicer more humble guy...that's the bomb!! :) He must be sooo happy (and tired/hungry ) right now!!

I'll bet they all go to the Smith House.

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 20:38
If i still lived in GA I would buy him a dinner, or two, three or more. Wow, he looks like crap, a walking skeleton. (In the most admirable way I may add.).

Poor guy lost a lot of weight- probably did it on purpose though so his smile would show up bigger in the pics:D

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:41
Poor guy lost a lot of weight- probably did it on purpose though so his smile would show up bigger in the pics:D

Most of him lost weight, but his calf muscles are insane.

max patch
08-08-2013, 20:41

Thats the first thing I thot of when I saw that picture.

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 21:15

I don't know about the Smith House.....

Thats the first thing I thot of when I saw that picture.

He needs food .... is that any thing like the Homeplace??? He could do some serious eating at the Homeplace or this Smith House, I bet.

rocketsocks
08-08-2013, 21:17
Great job Matt...you da man.

and thanks for bringing it in with four minutes to spare, I think I win both show cases :D just a little side thing we had goin.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2013, 21:18

like the homeplace but better

k2basecamp
08-08-2013, 21:23
What is most impressive to me is the mental toughness this must take. Heck he was an ultramarathoner with 100 milers under his belt but to do that many miles per day back to back in some pretty miserable weather at times takes unimaginable mental fortitude.

rocketsocks
08-08-2013, 21:31
What is most impressive to me is the mental toughness this must take. Heck he was an ultramarathoner with 100 milers under his belt but to do that many miles per day back to back in some pretty miserable weather at times takes unimaginable mental fortitude.i think that's the whole deal, bodies break down, that can happen to anybody...but you can't teach mental fortitude, you either got it, or you ain't.

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 21:33

Wow, it must be really good then... I'll have to check it out next time I go to GA. :)

I just noticed something... you are the same age as me... I forgot to ask you when ur birthday is...:( Next time I see you, I will.

Malto
08-08-2013, 21:34
What is most impressive to me is the mental toughness this must take. Heck he was an ultramarathoner with 100 milers under his belt but to do that many miles per day back to back in some pretty miserable weather at times takes unimaginable mental fortitude.

But he didn't take time to smell the roses........ The mental toughness is the most impressive part. I have done big mile day, multiples back to back. But the part that really impresses me is that every day folks like Matt and Anish hear the alarm or birds and their first conscious thought has to be "here we go again." Yet, every day they shut down the voices that say "sleep in, you deserve it" and get up, lace up and head down the trail. Later in the day, their bodies say " you're tired, the weather sucks, it's hot, my feet hurt" yet they still go. Toward sunset, the voices come back "you're tired, your feet hurt, cut it short for recovery, you have time to spare" yet they hike on. This is the toughness that separates the contenders from the pretenders. Matt was a contender.

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 21:43
...but you can't teach mental fortitude, you either got it, or you ain't.

my old drill sergeant would disagree

rocketsocks
08-08-2013, 21:50
Well, I can appreciate that...but I think you might be agreeing with me, in some back of the mind way.

rocketsocks
08-08-2013, 21:54
On another level, conditioned yes, taught, don't think so...though I have been wrong a few times.;)

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 22:05

Where is this at? All I'm gettin' is America's Home Place custom builders. (in that Dahlonega area)

max patch
08-08-2013, 22:08
Homeplace is in Catawba, VA

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 22:09
Where is this at? All I'm gettin' is America's Home Place custom builders. (in that Dahlonega area)

ATM... The Homeplace is in VA... Catawba. Wrong state ATM... no wonder you couldn't find it! :) Homeplace is an AYCE place. It's southern food at it's best.

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 22:11

max patch, have you been there?

Hill Ape
08-08-2013, 22:11
the smith house, do they still have long tables they sit you with strangers at? my granny loved to eat there, great food but god i hated the forced socialization

max patch
08-08-2013, 22:12
Twice. best meal on the trail.

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 22:16

ATM... The Homeplace is in VA... Catawba. Wrong state ATM... no wonder you couldn't find it! :) Homeplace is an AYCE place. It's southern food at it's best.

Gotcha. Added to the must do list.

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 22:18
the smith house, do they still have long tables they sit you with strangers at? my granny loved to eat there, great food but god i hated the forced socialization

You can do it this way or get your own table.

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 22:21
Congrats to Matt Kirk! Does he need a third thread?

Alligator
08-08-2013, 22:46
Congratulations!

hobbs
08-08-2013, 23:39
Man this is the year for records..Matt takes the AT awesone..

moytoy
08-09-2013, 06:43

My brother will drive there from Maryville, Tn just to eat and then drive back home.
http://www.smithhouse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=31

fins1838
08-09-2013, 07:35
Saw this & said to myself; "Matt Kirk, the guy who played center for the Baltimore Ravens?" But that was Matt Birk! Brain fart.

Ground Control
08-09-2013, 09:04
Very impressive and downright inspiring. Thanks for sharing the videos -- especially the prepping of mail boxes one. Congratulations, Matt Kirk! :banana:)

The Solemates
08-09-2013, 10:27

gotta disagree with that

Sly
08-09-2013, 10:40

He could do some serious eating at the Homeplace or this Smith House, I bet.

gotta disagree with that

Food wise, I don't think either is better than the other, but I like the Homeplace better because they're cool with smelly hikers.

HikerMom58
08-09-2013, 11:12
Food wise, I don't think either is better than the other, but I like the Homeplace better because they're cool with smelly hikers.

Ha Ha.. Sly, they've had a lot of smelly hikers at the Homeplace. The last few times I was there... the hikers, I talked too, didn't smell..:confused: lol. I think they all took showers at 4 Pines Hostel. :D

The Solemates & Max patch: I see ur posts voting for the Homeplace!! ;) I also saw moytoy's post about the Smith House. Thanks! :)

I don't think Matt's opinion would have much weight since any/all food must taste really good to him about now.

Once again.... congrats Matt!!

Ktaadn
08-09-2013, 11:37

Breaking the record is an impressive feat but JPD has once again shown him up by having a baby. If he could only match that.

Kerosene
08-09-2013, 12:39
Note that both of their physiques are long and lean, with overdeveloped leg muscles. I probably take 30% more steps than they do to cover the same distance!

Just Bill
08-09-2013, 12:57
Note that both of their physiques are long and lean, with overdeveloped leg muscles. I probably take 30% more steps than they do to cover the same distance!

LOL, I showed my wife the pic of them together- She joked, "Where are they? All I see is legs."

TOW
08-09-2013, 13:01
Job well done Matt! Even though I was inconsiderate in saying what I said to you when you were here, I ask overlook my less knowledgeable insight...

Dogwood
08-09-2013, 16:33
Not only interesting... but that is a real class act for Jenn to be there. She knows how important the moment is

They look like emaciated two gazelles.:D

Dogwood
08-09-2013, 16:39
i think that's the whole deal, bodies break down, that can happen to anybody...but you can't teach mental fortitude, you either got it, or you ain't.

But he didn't take time to smell the roses........ The mental toughness is the most impressive part. I have done big mile day, multiples back to back. But the part that really impresses me is that every day folks like Matt and Anish hear the alarm or birds and their first conscious thought has to be "here we go again." Yet, every day they shut down the voices that say "sleep in, you deserve it" and get up, lace up and head down the trail. Later in the day, their bodies say " you're tired, the weather sucks, it's hot, my feet hurt" yet they still go. Toward sunset, the voices come back "you're tired, your feet hurt, cut it short for recovery, you have time to spare" yet they hike on. This is the toughness that separates the contenders from the pretenders. Matt was a contender.

Regardless, they have what it takes! You're right JustBill most can't comprehend doing what they've done. Big time show time.

AngryGerman
09-13-2013, 11:09
Congrats Brother! All of you who are familiar with the posts that "Scrub Hiker" made in a separate thread about Matt being an "Impostor and Wannabe" should send Mr. Scrub Hiker a message filling him in on what this guy has accomplished. My guess is he already knows and is a bit disgusted w/himself over the comments he made. This was Matt's third thru-hike and quite frankly didn't feel the need to stop and sniff every rose along the way this time. Again, congrats and the best on your next adventure!

Hill Ape
09-13-2013, 11:23
not really sure why my post was quoted in that way, that is not what I was responding too, and not what I was intending "http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by rocketsocks ...but you can't teach mental fortitude, you either got it, or you ain't." to which I responded
my old drill sergeant would disagree"........ my only point was that mental fortitude can be instilled and taught.