PDA

View Full Version : Bear attacks camper on New Jersey AT

c.coyle
08-03-2005, 16:46
Bear attacks camper on New Jersey AT (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/states/new_jersey/12289364.htm)

This site may require registration. Here's the story:

Posted on Wed, Aug. 03, 2005

Bear that attacked camper is trapped and killed

MONTAGUE, N.J. - State fish and wildlife workers have trapped and killed a bear that injured a sleeping camper along the Appalachian Trail at High Point State Park in Sussex County.

State officials notified the public Monday about the attack, which occurred July 13. A Department of Environmental Protection spokeswoman said yesterday that the park's delay in notifying the state of the attack and the need to finish an investigation had postponed the announcement.

The bear bit the camper's leg and tried to drag him in his sleeping bag around 6:30 a.m., DEP spokeswoman Karen Hershey said. The camper, whose name was not disclosed, was part of a Pennsylvania group spending a few days at the park. Hershey said the bear had left marks on the camper, but she would not discuss the injuries further.

Last Wednesday, state workers set a trap for the bear at the shelter where the camper had been sleeping. Two days later, the trap caught a 142-pound, 5-year-old female bear, later identified as the attacker. The bear was tranquilized, then shot by a state biologist.- AP

Better story here (http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1123049956302420.xml&coll=1)

JoeHiker
08-09-2005, 18:57
. Two days later, the trap caught a 142-pound, 5-year-old female bear, later identified as the attacker.

Not really relevant to the story, but a 5 year old 142 pound bear? Don't bears -- at least adult ones -- normally weight a great deal more than that?

Lone Wolf
08-09-2005, 19:02
I saw the video. Hardly an "attack". The friggin bear was latching on to to bag. It was skittish. Over-reaction.

SGT Rock
08-09-2005, 19:16
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_080405_bearattack.html#

Pretty darn tame for a bear attack. I can't belive they killed the bear over that.

Air Head
08-09-2005, 19:44
this bear's been discussed already, actually. That's the Mashipacong shelter where they caught that bear. Supposedly, we have an overpopulation of 'em. I think they were looking for an excuse. :-\

A-Train
08-09-2005, 20:44
Please don't jump to conclusions especially if you don't have facts. No one was dying to kill this bear and it wasn't a poor excuse. I know many of the rangers in High Pt and the other NJ parks and the overwhelming majority of them are environmentalists, outdoors-people and have their morals in the right place. Yes, the campers caused the bear to be killed by not storing their food properly and leaving food in a backpack right next to the sleeping camper. They were careless, didn't pay attention to signs, park info and brochures and this could have been prevented.

This bear was a problem bear that had made a habit out of visiting the shelter and looking for food. High Point, the NJ division of parks and forestry and US fish and Wildlife wouldn't all have agreed to trap the bear if they believed the bear wasn't going to be a problem. I trust their experience in this matter enough to believe they were confident a future problem probably would have occured if action wasn't taken. How would they feel a child later this summer was killed by the same bear? How would they deal with the media, liability and court cases?

I was at a meeting about incidents like this one this morning, with the Park's Lieutenant, the Fish and Wildlife employee who trapped the bear, and numerous park rangers and superintendents. Everyone does their best to protect both the bears and the public. They have a responsiblity to both.

SGT Rock
08-09-2005, 20:53
Thanks for the facts A-Train. Protect bears by not doing what this guy did seems to be part of the lesson learned.

dougmeredith
08-09-2005, 21:14
Pretty darn tame for a bear attack. I can't belive they killed the bear over that.
I think it is the behavior that got the bear killed, not the outcome of the attack.

Doug

stupe
08-09-2005, 21:55
Originally Posted by SGT Rock

From what I gather from the papers, bears that show any aggression in NJ seem to get shot. I think they only tag and "monitor" if it's a nuisance bear, but destroy them if they seem to be a danger to people.
Jersey just approved another bear hunt for 2005, the NJ Environmental Protection Commisioner ( I think thats right ) has to approve it, he says he's going to decide after it goes through a hearing.
If it's a public hearing, it's going to be loud, passionate, and entertaining. I think a bear season is probably the only practical solution, but there's going to be lots of opposition.

Sly
08-09-2005, 22:21
Please don't jump to conclusions especially if you don't have facts.

OK

Yes, the campers caused the bear to be killed by not storing their food properly and leaving food in a backpack right next to the sleeping camper.

And you know this how?

A-Train
08-09-2005, 22:35
OK

And you know this how?

I know this Sly because the campers who were involved in the attack admitted that they had left a package of Graham Crackers in their backpack. This backpack was dragged by the bear into the woods and has not been found as of yet. It was the actions of these campers that got the bear killed. They were careless with their food and decided to tape the event instead of first reacting by getting rid of the bear and making sure the counselor was safe.

I'm one of the NJ Ridgerunners this summer and I've talked to nearly everyone involved in this process.

As far as the proposed hunt, it sounds as if you have the correct information, that is what I've heard as well, but it isn't official yet, and probably wouldn't be until next yr.

Sly
08-09-2005, 22:46
I know this Sly because the campers who were involved in the attack admitted that they had left a package of Graham Crackers in their backpack.

OK, that fact wasn't in either story or mentioned before.

NJ seems to draw the stupiest hikers. I remember one story where a father baited a bear with a bagel so he could take a picture of it along side his son. The son got bit. IMO, the father should have been shot instead of the bear.

Lone Wolf
08-10-2005, 07:32
A hunt is the only effective management tool available.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--bearhunt0809aug09,0,1370761.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

canoehead
08-10-2005, 07:53
This is one of those unfortunate stoties you read about..very bad press for the AT and surrounding area. If trail users would just follow the rules when it comes to storeing your food/gear properly it would not be an issue. what makes it worse, is this bear was starting to make it a habbit to look for food here.... to bad for all involved.
Practice LNT it's not just for a clean camp spot. Thanx for getting it straight A-Train
I'm a Ridgerunner at Sages Ravine in Conn and we've had a few problems around the area, I just hope it dosen't get that bad
safe adventures
canoehead

SGT Rock
08-10-2005, 08:11
You know LWolf, if they opened up hunts for these bears, they could always use a backpack with a snicker bar in it to bait the field. Maybe these guys from the video would be willing to lay around and do it for the hunters :D

Air Head
08-10-2005, 10:01
NJ seems to draw the stupiest hikers. NJ just draws a lot of stupid anythings, really... and I live in NJ. : P

When I was at the Gren Anderson shelter in July, there were a bunch of kids (and chaperones) who were hootin' and hollerin' the whole night. not only did it keep me up, but pretty much everyone else at the camp started joking about who the bears were gonna visit first.

Oh, did I mention they tried to start a fire... with trees they were chopping down??? :datz

A-Train
08-10-2005, 10:09
NJ just draws a lot of stupid anythings, really... and I live in NJ. : P

When I was at the Gren Anderson shelter in July, there were a bunch of kids (and chaperones) who were hootin' and hollerin' the whole night. not only did it keep me up, but pretty much everyone else at the camp started joking about who the bears were gonna visit first.

Oh, did I mention they tried to start a fire... with trees they were chopping down??? :datz

Um..OK do you happen to know what the group was? Were they with a camp, scouts etc? Not that I'm suprised but I hate to read this.

I'm not gonna comment on whether people in NJ are stupider than in other places, but you have to consider that it's the highest/densist population of any state, and the area has the highest concentration of black bears. The two together will obviously result in some issues, just by law of averages. We just hope education goes a long enough way to keep most people away from harm, let alone the bears.

BlackCloud
08-10-2005, 13:10
A hunt is the only effective management tool available.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--bearhunt0809aug09,0,1370761.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey
And how bout charging stupid campers for the costs of their ignorant actions? :confused:

Air Head
08-10-2005, 14:12
I'm pretty sure they weren't scouts. I was with an Eagle Scout when I was up there and we both concluded they couldn't be scouts. Seems like a bunch of kids who thought pitching tents and burning stuff was a good idea. Then again, the oldest one prolly just turned 10, and the chaperones def. looked like city dwellers... not that I should say anything. July was my first hike, but at least my buddy was pretty well versed in hike etiquette.

Black Cloud: I think they do that around here. A campsite I saw on the way to my trailhead charged fees. ::shrug:: I could be wrong, though.

Two Speed
08-10-2005, 14:48
. . . Black Cloud: I think they do that around here. A campsite I saw on the way to my trailhead charged fees. ::shrug:: I could be wrong, though.
Please tell me they don't actually list a fee for being stupid. I'm pretty sure I can't afford it. :jump

squirrel bait
08-10-2005, 15:49
Adult females range from 90-300lbs. The record for North Carolina is 880 lbs in Craven County. Now that is one well fed bear.

justusryans
08-10-2005, 16:43
The biggest black Bear I ever saw was about 800 lb. That was around Kernville, CA about 8 years ago.

squirrel bait
08-10-2005, 16:50
I shoulda added that this is in the eastern part of the state. No where near the AT.

justusryans
08-10-2005, 16:53
I shoulda added that this is in the eastern part of the state. No where near the AT.Wasn't around Elizabeth City was it!!:eek:

SkipMeister
08-10-2005, 19:18
Saw the attack on TV after it happened. Laughed at how bad the reporters made it sound.

"NJ seems to draw the stupiest hikers. I remember one story where a father baited a bear with a bagel so he could take a picture of it along side his son. The son got bit. IMO, the father should have been shot instead of the bear."

Has nothing to do specifically with NJ. Most of the bears in Yellowstone were trapped and relocated 20+ years ago for this exact reason. Dad gives kid food and says to feed the bear for a picture. Something is wrong with the camera and dad says hold on. Bear isn't going to hold on. Kid gets bit. Bear is blamed by dad and bear is shot. I visited Yellowstone when I was a kid and didn't see a single bear the entire week. Did an intership in Idaho, about an hour from Yellowstone, and never saw any bears the entire summer either.

I've lived in Jersey for about four years. Just to many people here but not as bad here in south Jersey, just no AT down here. I'm leaving in about two weeks anyway, back to Texas.

Tha Wookie
08-11-2005, 00:12
You know LWolf, if they opened up hunts for these bears, they could always use a backpack with a snicker bar in it to bait the field. Maybe these guys from the video would be willing to lay around and do it for the hunters :D
yeah, they could do one of those fall-on-the-stick-tricks. I think a hunt would be a good idea if they had people who would hunt them respectfully. I know that's a joke you said, but that's actually an historical tactic.

Hunting a bear with a gun is a shame. I'm not saying I'm man enough to kill on without a gun (yet), but I think it's a cowardly way to kill a magnificent forest keystone predator unless you are directly threatened or saving someone else.

That goes for the rangers too. Can't they use a lethal injection? Why a hollowpoint bullet to smash the creature's skull and brain? All it was doing was what hikers have trained it to do, and because their habitat has been stolen and degraded (and the wolves and big cats have already been killed off in the same exact pattern)!

It's a tough day and age to be a bear.

Air Head
08-11-2005, 01:08
Wasn't around Elizabeth City was it!!:eek:
Hahaha... if I ever find a bear in Elizabeth, I'll let you know. I have a friend there. Trust me, a bear sighting in that city would be a guiness record moment... "Most unlikely place to find a bear but actually had one." :jump

stupe
08-11-2005, 01:45
Hahaha... if I ever find a bear in Elizabeth, I'll let you know. I have a friend there. Trust me, a bear sighting in that city would be a guiness record moment... "Most unlikely place to find a bear but actually had one."
We might be seeing a new Guiness record soon then, bears have been sighted in 17 of New Jersey's 21 counties. I saw a bear in 2001 a few miles south of the AT in NY's Harriman State Park, thats only about 40 miles from Times Square. The coyotes have already made it to the Bronx, and here in Staten Island we have a small deer population, deer have been extinct here since around 1900 ( our local paper estimates we now have about forty ) We've got wild turkey, too. We're about a quarter mile swim across the Arthur Kill, opposite Elizabeth, NJ.

squirrel bait
08-11-2005, 07:52
I believe they are talking about Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Northeast corner of the state Camden and Pasquotank counties.

justusryans
08-11-2005, 08:18
I believe they are talking about Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Northeast corner of the state Camden and Pasquotank counties.Saw a mother and 2 cubs on my way home from workTuesday. There are a lot of black bear around here. I live in Weeksville, on the outskirts of EC. Very rural, lots of game around here and the best fishing in the area.

squirrel bait
08-11-2005, 09:30
Saltwater or freshwater fishing. Here on the outerbanks it's all about the saltwater stuff. Being from Iowa I grew up with smallmouth bass fishing and all the pan fish. I've been your way by boat, Pool Point if this old brain remembers right. Beautiful country.

stupe
08-11-2005, 11:44
I believe they are talking about Elizabeth City, North CarolinaOops. I'm so Jersey-centric.

Ford Prefect
08-11-2005, 12:29
From what I gather from the papers, bears that show any aggression in NJ seem to get shot.
Hmmm .... :-?

bear + aggression => dead bear

Wonder if NJ can apply a similar policy to aggressive drivers .... ?

FP

Air Head
08-11-2005, 15:05
I'd be all for it! :p

Buckingham
08-11-2005, 15:30
I'll be hiking the Jersey portion of the trail next month, I hope to cover all of it in 5 days. Once my friends and family heard of this bear story, they all started telling me to be careful, or not to go at all. Over and over again I have to explain that this guy was an idiot! Anyone with a lick of common sense would in all likelyhood probably never be attacked. If he was anywhere near my campsite, I would have b***h slapped him for being such a moron.

Tin Man
08-11-2005, 21:21
Hmmm .... :-?

bear + aggression => dead bear

FP

Actually, there was a story recently that NJ drivers have been taking pot shots at aggressive drivers.

It amazes me how many "civilized" people think backpackers are insane for sleeping in the woods where "dangerous" animals live, but they think nothing of getting in their cars every day where thousands die every year. Drive careful, hike with abandon!

dougmeredith
08-12-2005, 08:46
It amazes me how many "civilized" people think backpackers are insane for sleeping in the woods where "dangerous" animals live, but they think nothing of getting in their cars every day where thousands die every year. Drive careful, hike with abandon!
I went on a solo overnighter last week, and my wife was a bit worried. It struck me as I was hiking that I am much more worried about injury when I go for a bike ride near home (on the streets) than when hiking solo.

Doug

Jaybird
08-12-2005, 09:21
Posted on Wed, Aug. 03, 2005

Bear that attacked camper is trapped and killed

MONTAGUE, N.J. - State fish and wildlife workers have trapped and killed a bear that injured a sleeping camper along the Appalachian Trail at High Point State Park in Sussex County...........etc.etc.etc.........

i saw the home video of this "ATTACK"...on a news report.

the campers were sleeping on a blanket...outside, surrounded by food/snacks, trash, etc.

it was either a case of STUPID, STUPID campers...or the "baiting" of a bear for a video shoot.

i hate to see a bear destroyed because of stupidity of humans.
its a shame! :(

Lone Wolf
08-12-2005, 11:48
Speaking of stupidity and bears, this guy gets the highest Darwin award. Soon to be a motion picture. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/142982_bearattack08.html

SGT Rock
08-12-2005, 13:59
I heard about this a couple of times. Seems he left hundreds of hours of film about his exploits. The terms I have heard to describe him include self-deluded.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2005, 14:08
Wolf, it already IS a motion picture: There is a review of "Grizzly Man," Werner Herzog's new documentary about the life and death of Timothy Treadwell, in today's New York Times.

The review is excellent, and the film is supposed to be likewise.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2005, 14:09
An excellent film about an idiot.hmmm.

SGT Rock
08-12-2005, 14:19
Forest Gump was an excellent movie about an idiot :D

But it was nothing like the book, and I liked the book 100% better.

Air Head
08-12-2005, 18:24
I still watch Forrest time and again. I should get it for DVD soon. Rock, you should take a look at one of the other book Winston Groom wrote... ugh. the name escapes me right now.

justusryans
08-12-2005, 19:23
An excellent film about an idiot.hmmm.
I don't know about Excellent Film, but you got the idiot part right. BEARS ARE UNPREDICTABLE. You can interact with a brown bear and get the same response 9 times, but the 10th time..... they will hurt your feelings! I lived in Alaska, I have been closer than I wanted to be to bears up there on several occassions, they are not warm and fuzzy teddy bears. Tim Treadwell found out what the rest of us know the hard way.:datz

Panzer1
08-12-2005, 21:13
Wolf, it already IS a motion picture: There is a review of "Grizzly Man," Werner Herzog's new documentary about the life and death of Timothy Treadwell, in today's New York Times.
The review is excellent, and the film is supposed to be likewise. There was a documentary about him on TV just last night. His death screams were recorded on his video camera as the video camera happened to be running the whole time they were attacked. It was said that the bear that attacked them was starving at the time of the attack. Bears may be friendly enough when they are well fed, but when they are starving, you are "FOOD". Also, there was speculation that Treadwell may have had some form of mental illness. And heck, who knows, the bear may of had a mental illness too.

Panzer

justusryans
08-12-2005, 22:24
Also, there was speculation that Treadwell may have had some form of mental illness. Panzer
It's funny you should say that, My wife and I caught it on PBS last night and Laura commented that he seemed manic. As I watched him I got the same impression that he was acting manic. I'm not a psychiatriast but I am manic-depressive so I know what it looks like. It was just a matter of time.

NJHiker
08-16-2005, 07:34
OK, that fact wasn't in either story or mentioned before.

NJ seems to draw the stupiest hikers. I remember one story where a father baited a bear with a bagel so he could take a picture of it along side his son. The son got bit. IMO, the father should have been shot instead of the bear.

For the most part, the AT in NJ is a very accessible area. That incident happened a few years ago at Worthington St Forest, in the Del. Water Gap area (red/white blaze to the top of Mount Tamminy). I was there that day. The bear never bit the kid...the kid got scared and bolted. The bear gave chase. The boy was injured when he fell and scraped his arm. The bear did approach the fallen boy and took a swipe at his leg, but again, the boy was not chomped.

Rangers set out on a hunt for an agressive, large male bear. Needless to say, that was an exageration of the truth, much like the rest of the reported story. The only bear they found in the area was a small 2 year old female "loner".

After interviewing the father and son separately, the park rangers charged the father with reckless endangerment....of both the child AND the bear. He was also charged with misdemeanors of feeding wildlife in a state park. If I recall correctly, the fines were stiff and he had to complete a lot of 'community service'.
same
On the recent "attack", I met up with this bear several times over the last two years (reported each time as a non-incident). I recognized the bald patches on it's right hind quarter. One run in was near the Rutherford shelter (about 2.8 miles NoBo from Mashipicong), another time was on Dutch Shoe Rock (in the same area). A third encounter was at Lake Rutherford - it was swiming and playing in the water - maybe fishing? In all these encounters, the bear was not agressive, but docile and wary of us. We were able to keep our distance and it left us alone. Perhaps some dummy recently fed it and it began to thik of humans as a source of food.

IMHO - Rangers in NJ do everything they can to protect the average visitors. While they make valiant efforts to do so, they are not babysitters or hand-holders. Backpackers are supposed to have enough intelligence to be aware of their surroundings and take appropriate precautions. High Point has the better idea about this.....they require hikers to register their destination, stay and get a free parking permit for the long term lot. Perhaps if ALL parks in NJ adapted this strategy (Stokes and Worthington included), we could avoid unfortunate problems and circumstances like this.

Sly
08-16-2005, 08:57
NJHiker thanks for the setting the story straight and the insight about NJ bears.

I remember seeing two beautiful, healthy looking bears in NJ during my hike, one only about 10 yards away. Like most they were timid and wanted no part of us. I can't imagine intentionally trying to bait one for a photo op.

Love your sig...

Sly
08-16-2005, 09:11
... no, no no no, he's outside looking in.

I'd rather be eaten by a grizzly than die a slow painful death on a hospital bed or drop dead of a heart attack at work for that matter.

I imagine after the first bite you don't feel much and it's more of a out of body experience.

I thought Treadwell's "Grizzly Diairies" were awesome.

dougmeredith
08-16-2005, 09:21
I'd rather be eaten by a grizzly than die a slow painful death on a hospital bed or drop dead of a heart attack at work for that matter.
I can't really say that I agree with you on this one.

Doug

Sly
08-16-2005, 09:26
I can't really say that I agree with you on this one.

Yeah, I wouldn't think many would, but I know one other that likes the idea! ;)

Air Head
08-16-2005, 10:57
well, I wouldn't mind, so long as the bear went for the right body parts, so that I wouldn't feel anything. and for the record, a heart attack in my sleep is my preferred method of entering the category of being "life challenged." : )

Blasted
09-09-2005, 19:41
"Yes, the campers caused the bear to be killed by not storing their food properly and leaving food in a backpack right next to the sleeping camper. They were careless, didn't pay attention to signs, park info and brochures and this could have been prevented."

A-Train, i know you probably heard stories that we didnt put our food away properly or whatever. However that is completely false. Everyone put their food and any other smellables in the bear box. We took an hour going through everything and making sure it was all stored properly. Yes, i understand that there may have been residue left by some of the food, but please don't blame us for the bear's death. The video, which i did not take and am also upset about, shows that the bear went for the bear box following the bite. YES, the attack was small and YES it was no more then a muzzling . I myself pleaded with the rangers to save the bear's life if it was at all possible. Also, there was no bookbag next to the attacked. the camper's bag went missing during the night. there was no lure for the bear. he was just curious and was checking out his own territory. I feel terrible about her death and i hope such events wont happen in the future.

A-Train
09-09-2005, 20:33
Blasted-

I don't wish to debate this, as it's been done to death here a few weeks ago, but didn't you say a bag "went missing" in the night? The story that was relayed to me from High Pt staff and rangers was that your group admitted to having Graham Crackers in the missing pack and that the pack was dragged away. Is this true or not?

I'm glad no one in your group was seriously hurt or killed. As a ridgerunner, no matter how much I try to preserve the trail and it's inhabitants (bears) my most important priority is the safety of the people on the trail

Rancid
09-09-2005, 20:42
Apparently you were present at the campsite when this took place. It is tragic that the bear "had" to be put down, but I doubt very much that your group was the cause of her demise. It probably started when she was very young and looked all cuddley to campers and hikers who wanted to "help" a little bear, and now caused her death. Habits developed by animals don't just happen in a day, but take time, just like us humans. She knew that some humans are slobs by habit, so that the box is sometimes left unlatched; FREE FOOD!!! Anyway, take it as a tough lesson and learn from it, but pass it on to the next slob that you meet on the trail or shelter, they're out there!
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, you'll find lots of help on planning your future hikes.
Rancid

Blasted
09-09-2005, 23:34
Rancid and A-train,

thanks for understanding the situation. As for the camper's bag, i know he might have told the rangers that he had food in it, but i doubt it highly that he did. the counselors took it upon themselves to check every bag. it was "taken" during the night and we have no idea who or what took it. There could have possibly been crumbs in the bag, that is more likely. the camper wasn't asked about his bag contents until weeks after the incident so he probably just assumed he left some crackers, who knows. i am sorry to come so late in the discussion on the whole thing. i just wanted to clear up the blame on the counselors. as for the video taper, that is a whole other matter of just plain craziness, i really don't know what he was thinking. i hope that clears up everything for the most part. the media really made it seem a lot worse then it was and completely messed up everything as usual. again thanks for talking about it in a respectable way. if i heard this story, my first intentions would be those people were idiots and knew nothing.

Lilred
09-10-2005, 00:24
Ok now I'm confused. Blasted, you say you were there? Were you watching the guy video taping or were you one of the ones that were asleep? It seems to me that all this could have been avoided if, instead of video taping the event, ya'll made noise and racket to scare the bear away. Leaving crumbs or residue in a backpack was not the problem. Letting a bear walk around a camp, while people were vulnerable, without trying to scare it away, was the problem.

Blasted
09-10-2005, 11:02
Understandable question my friend. I was asleep near the guy with the camera, i awoke as the attacked counselor was scaring away the bear by blowing his whistle. your claim is very true, the video taper should have tried something to scare away the bear from the sleeping counselor, making loud noises or at the very least waking me up. who knows why it didn't work out that way.

frieden
09-10-2005, 19:53
We just got a book at work on this, called The Grizzly Maze.

The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0525948864/qid=1126396206/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8661070-4631920?v=glance&s=books)
by Nick Jans (Hardcover - July 7, 2005)

They are calling this guy a hero. Geez. :datz

frieden
09-10-2005, 19:59
Sly, it is my understanding that Treadwell's death was long, slow, and extremely painful. He wasn't just laying back saying, "Gosh, this is a great way to die!" I vote for the quietly in my sleep, too.

Panzer1
09-10-2005, 20:46
Kids... that's why these things happen.

When I was that age, I was dumb too, and so were you!

Panzer

Panzer1
09-10-2005, 20:54
... no, no no no, he's outside looking in.

I imagine after the first bite you don't feel much and it's more of a out of body experience.

By all accounts his death was horrific, painful and somewhat slow as he was eaten to death. Apparently he was screaming in pain while being eaten for some time. People who heard the recording were all shaken and brought to tears, even men who heard the recording where shaken. It must have been very gruesome. Also, the woman he loved shared his same fate.

Panzer