PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness

cricket71
08-08-2013, 18:48
woohoo, I got 2 weeks off, last week in august and first week in september and I want to go hike the 100 mile wilderness. what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a safe place to leave my car or would I just be better off catching a bus? I would ask my wife for a ride but that's when she goes back to school, perfect time to be in the woods too. I found a site in Maine where the owner will shuttle me to and from the trail and even meet me half way for a resupply which will allow me to still hike light. Any help on the subject would be appreciated. I'm kinda leaning towards the bus though.

coach lou
08-08-2013, 19:09
You dog! You'll be taking long johns I hope?:D

peakbagger
08-09-2013, 07:33
Hiring a local to shuttle you is the way to go if you want to maximize vacation time. The buses don't go near the trail, so you either have to hitch or hire a shuttle for either end anyhow. Getting a resupply half way through is also a big plus, you can cut your pack load down for the first stretch from Monson to the Iron Works and then carry a bit more luxury food for the end section (although if you resupply at KIW you have to lug it up and over whitecap.

Slo-go'en
08-09-2013, 11:09
I belive the closest you can get to the HMW by bus is Millinocket, which is still quite a ways from Baxter and even farther away from Monson where you want to start.

I'd drive to the shuttle guy and let him do the rest.

cricket71
08-09-2013, 18:51
thanks guys I had a very insightful conversation with phil from 100 milewilderness.info this morning and he has really taken all the work out of it for me, except for the hiking part. And of course I'll take long johns along, it may get a little chilly in my loin cloth, I'm leaving the kilt at home because of all the food I have to carry.