PDA

View Full Version : New DSLR Cannon 13.1 oz

moytoy
08-09-2013, 08:07
This may be an option for hikers who want a little more than a point and shoot camera. Anybody used one of these on the trail?

moytoy
08-09-2013, 08:09
Link to details http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480844488

T.S.Kobzol
08-09-2013, 09:27
Interesting. Definitely makes me interested. However, after using a totally waterproof cameras on backpacking and kayaking trips I probably won't be going back to SLR. I would consider it for winter hiking though.

Venchka
08-09-2013, 09:55
Sony's NEX line is on my radar for a go anywhere, anytime camera.
The Sony NEX 7 + 18-55 zoom lens (same optical range as the base lens on the Canon SL1) is the same weight as the SL1 body ONLY. The weights listed by the manufacturers may or may not include a battery. However, the Sony NEX-7 and lens is approximately half the weight of the Canon SL1. The form factor is more compact as well. Canon just doesn't get the mirrorless digital camera.

Wayne

Feral Bill
08-09-2013, 12:35
Sony's NEX line is on my radar for a go anywhere, anytime camera.
The Sony NEX 7 + 18-55 zoom lens (same optical range as the base lens on the Canon SL1) is the same weight as the SL1 body ONLY. The weights listed by the manufacturers may or may not include a battery. However, the Sony NEX-7 and lens is approximately half the weight of the Canon SL1. The form factor is more compact as well. Canon just doesn't get the mirrorless digital camera.

Wayne One could consider mirrorless camera's from Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon and Samsung as well. It all comes down to preference and budget.

Venchka
08-09-2013, 12:40
One could consider mirrorless camera's from Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon and Samsung as well. It all comes down to preference and budget.

Agreed. Sony's sensor is bigger. Size doesn't matter. Right. The Micro 4/3 cameras have a greater crop factor. One reason that I lean toward the Sony NEX so that my legacy lenses won't be cropped as severely as the Olympus & Panasonic sensors. To each his own.

Wayne

moytoy
08-10-2013, 06:31
Interesting. Definitely makes me interested. However, after using a totally waterproof cameras on backpacking and kayaking trips I probably won't be going back to SLR. I would consider it for winter hiking though.

Agreed. Sony's sensor is bigger. Size doesn't matter. Right. The Micro 4/3 cameras have a greater crop factor. One reason that I lean toward the Sony NEX so that my legacy lenses won't be cropped as severely as the Olympus & Panasonic sensors. To each his own.

Wayne

One could consider mirrorless camera's from Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon and Samsung as well. It all comes down to preference and budget.

Thanks for the comments. My old school thoughts that SLR is better may be just that too "old school". The best camera I ever owned was a manual SLR Olympus but that was 40 years ago and I shook it apart riding cross country on a motorcycle. I'm rethinking my camera options. :)

Miner
08-10-2013, 12:47
When going backpacking, what I want is a camera that has the largest sensor (better low light performance) for the weight. Sony's Nex-7 is certainly a front runner there. But I've always favored canon cameras so I'm hoping that they will finally figure out the whole mirrorless thing. I have a panasonic Micro 4/3 GX1, but the lack of a true bulb mode (times out at 2 minutes) has me looking for better.

Venchka
08-10-2013, 12:59
Thanks for the comments. My old school thoughts that SLR is better may be just that too "old school". The best camera I ever owned was a manual SLR Olympus but that was 40 years ago and I shook it apart riding cross country on a motorcycle. I'm rethinking my camera options. :)

A friend of mine bought an Olympus OM-D last year. His work is flawless.

Wayne

R1ma
08-12-2013, 09:15
I've been looking at mirror-free interchangeable lens cameras lately. My hiking P&S won't connect to the computer (so the batteries won't charge)

Nikon 1 series. Expensive and tiny sensor. 2.7x vs. 35mm. ~50% the size of 4/3, 25% the size of APS-C. Unique mount. Not that light.
Panasonic & Olympus. Small. Light. micro 4/3 sensor (it's a 4/3 sensor, but with a different flange distance to make the body smaller) - 50% the size of 35mm. Lots of options. Some have no features, some have lots. Some have dials and switches, some don't.
Sony NEX. APS-C sensor. Unique mount. Bigger and heavier and more expensive than Pana/pus cameras, but MUCH better sensor. Lots of touch controls, not so much physical dials
Samsung NX series. APS-C sensor. Little cheaper than Sonys. More dials and less touch screen vs. Sony. Funky i-control.
Canon EOS-M. Basically an EOS 650D/T4i without a mirror and a different mount (EF-M)
Fuji X-Pro. APS-C. Big, expensive. Lots of nice manual controls, looks like an old rangefinder.
Lecia M. Don't ask lol.

The Panasonics and Olympuses are, typically, the smallest and lightest.
The Nikons are next
Then the Canon
Then the Samsung
Then the Sony
Then the Fuji, followed by the Lecia.

The Canon SL1 DSLR weighs about 400g. The EOS M weighs about 300g. You can get a Panasonic or Olympus in the 250g range. The NEX-7 weighs 350g, so were only talking 100g from the lightest to heaviest MLIC, except the Fuji and Lecias (The Fujis and Lecias range from 450-700g! That's about the weight of my D7000)

There are adapters to use almost all lenses with all these bodies.
The reason being that they made these bodies small by reducing the flange distance - the sensor is much closer to the mounting flange. Because of this, your adapter to physically change the mounting flange also gets to move the lens out from the body. Makes for a bigger and heavier setup to carry though.
If you've got Canon lenses, I'd buy the EOS M.
If you want the smallest factor, buy a micro 4/3
If you want the best images, either Canon, Sony, or Samsung.

I shoot Nikons, and I'd never suggest an Nikon 1 series ;) .

yaduck9
08-12-2013, 10:35
A different option might be..........
Purchasing a used Canon Rebel or say a Nikon D40x from ADORAMA or B & H Photo. Purchasing a used dslr can be a lightweight inexpensive option that can also utilize either your collection of slr lenses or some vintage inexpensive lenses. If the camera gets damaged, it won't be the end of the world. Nikon/Canon made some decent "plasticams". I started out with a Nikon D40x that was 10 megapixel and lightweight. Check this out http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20567455.html

Just a thought.