PDA

View Full Version : Daydreaming about trail things

Sunshine82
08-09-2013, 12:14
Does anyone else have a really hard time being confined inside at work knowing the trail is out there waiting?sometimes it's impossibly hard to concentrate

Hikes in Rain
08-09-2013, 12:18
Oh, you know it. And I'm 600 miles away from it.:(

Hill Ape
08-09-2013, 12:32
it helps me to know the trail is always out there. anytime i can get away, its been there for me. the longer i have, the further i walk. its my happy place, i can close my eyes, and i'm on the trail

Ktaadn
08-09-2013, 12:35
Does anyone else have a really hard time being confined inside at work knowing the trail is out there waiting?sometimes it's impossibly hard to concentrate

I think this is the reason that we are all on this site. :)

Kerosene
08-09-2013, 12:37
It's really hard when I'm in a meeting and my screen saver starts flipping up all of the AT photos I've taken over the years.

It's even worse when I remember that I'll be giving up my annual AT section hike this year. I seem to be able to quell my longing for about 10 months before it rises up again.

Sunshine82
08-09-2013, 13:32
Glad to know its not just me!thats the one place no matter how tired you get or how much it rains I never dont want to be there.not many people in my town understand that they just think I'm nuts lol

HikerMom58
08-09-2013, 13:34
Glad to know its not just me!thats the one place no matter how tired you get or how much it rains I never dont want to be there.not many people in my town understand that they just think I'm nuts lol

We can all relate Sunshine82.... :)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-09-2013, 17:10
HA HA HA! Check out previous threads: "If It Isn't Fun....", "10 Wierd Things Walking.....". You'll find you're in GOOD COMPANY!!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97144-If-It-Isn-t-Fun-Why-Do-It-quot

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96708-10-Weird-Things-Walking-Does-to-Your-Body

and I'm sure there are others!

hikerboy57
08-09-2013, 17:13
when we cant walk, we type.
welcome to whiteblaze

Rasty
08-09-2013, 17:19
I remain very focused on work while working. Except when I'm day dreaming of course!

hikerboy57
08-09-2013, 17:24
i should probably be doing something else right now

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dsc00698.jpg

rocketsocks
08-09-2013, 17:31

Hey gettin paid to cyber hike don't make ya bad person...."go with it"

Hill Ape
08-09-2013, 17:45
confession... i have a tattoo on each foot, right foot is a blue AT symbol, left foot is a white blaze. every step i take i'm on the trail, no matter where i am... kinda lame i know

Sunshine82
08-09-2013, 17:55
Not lame at all Hill Ape!my boss once made the comment that it was too bad I couldn't make a living hiking the trail of course he was being a smart!$$ but I don't even care every thought I have somehow connects to the trail!glad to know there are fellow sickos out there lol

PeaPicker
08-09-2013, 18:14
As a newbie to hiking,I don't know if I can comment with any certainty exactly what hit me.I don't know when it hit me.I have yet to understand what is pulling me to the trail.It is ALWAYS there just hovering,everything I do seems to in some way be a preparation for "the hike". The "if" I hike has become the "when" I hike.So Sunshine82 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?49674-Sunshine82) in a word ....YES

rocketsocks
08-09-2013, 18:19
confession... i have a tattoo on each foot, right foot is a blue AT symbol, left foot is a white blaze. every step i take i'm on the trail, no matter where i am... kinda lame i knowNot really, now a "yellow tramp stamp"....that would just be wrong!

Sarcasm the elf
08-09-2013, 18:34
I think this is the reason that we are all on this site. :)

Absolutely. For any given period of time, the frequency with which I post to this site is inversely proportional to the amount of time I spend backpacking.

The Cleaner
08-09-2013, 19:07
Here in Greeneville TN about 10 miles of the AT ,from Camp Creek Bald firetower to Big Butt, dominate the eastern skyline.Can be seen from most places in the county also.You can see the Blackstack Cliffs and Chestnutlog Gap where Jerry's Cabin shelter is.When I'm out I always looks up and wonder who's up there today.We had 23 days of rain in July, 20 inches at the construction site across from my house.So I'd say that a lot of wet hikers went through and with all that rain probably the largest horde of eye maggot laying gnats ever seen:eek:.I'm going to try and get out next week for a shelter check and will be packing my headnet:sun.......

slbirdnerd
08-09-2013, 20:42
As a newbie to hiking,I don't know if I can comment with any certainty exactly what hit me.I don't know when it hit me.I have yet to understand what is pulling me to the trail.It is ALWAYS there just hovering,everything I do seems to in some way be a preparation for "the hike". The "if" I hike has become the "when" I hike.So Sunshine82 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?49674-Sunshine82) in a word ....YES Yes, this! Backpacking is new this year and I have set foot on two very small portions of the trail this year, and ACHING to get back. You either get it, or you don't. Those of us here, we get it. Most everyone I know outside of here? Not so much. Sigh. Can't wait to get out again, and for longer!

Double Wide
08-09-2013, 21:41
Does anyone else have a really hard time being confined inside at work knowing the trail is out there waiting?

Yes.

All day, every day.

Sunshine82
08-09-2013, 21:52
To the cleaner,thanks a bunch for all that you trail crew guys and gals do!it is sooo appreciated!to all the newbie hikers keep that fever alive.The trail is the best medicine and mood lifter that could ever be taken.

Sarcasm the elf
08-09-2013, 22:05
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/988699_425605597553512_13295604_n.jpg

Symba
08-09-2013, 22:17
Every day, like thought of a loved one. At first it was filled with depression, aching to get back on the trail; after awhile it was happiness. Knowing the trail will always be there, my happy place too.

chiefduffy
08-10-2013, 05:09
Every day, like thought of a loved one. At first it was filled with depression, aching to get back on the trail; after awhile it was happiness. Knowing the trail will always be there, my happy place too.

+1... Well said!

Carbo
08-10-2013, 11:27
Being in a cubicle 9-5 all day in a bored-to-death job, my mental hikes get me through it all. Must have done five or six mental thru hikes by now!

Sunshine82
08-10-2013, 12:19
I'm so bad that I spend my breaks and lunch in the AT thru-hiker guide planning each day.ive made it to Vermont in the book but we have been section hiking since November and have completed 300 miles which I'm happy with but my dream of a thru hike will never go away

Dogwood
08-10-2013, 12:23

I'm in Ducktown TN right now. It's big time BUGGY and MUGGY hiking right now. We're also in another long term rain pattern. Enjoy your day at work! Or wherever you are! Save up money for hiking in the fall on the east coast or head west now.

Pedaling Fool
08-10-2013, 17:43
If you spend enough time in the woods you'll start daydreaming about civilized things. We daydream of trail things only because we want a change, period. Here's a good article to put things in a little perspective http://www.newrepublic.com/article/kauai-diarist

If you read it you'll see the fallacy of Henry David Thoreau's romantic BS.