PDA

View Full Version : Theft from Van Parked at AT

Big Guy
08-03-2005, 19:41
Johson City Press Tn 7/29/05

Hikers report theft of items in van while on AT. They parked their van at Shook Branch recreation area from 7-24-7/27. The van was broken into and a large amount of equipment, clothing and other items were stolen.
This area is near Watuga Lake. It is unfortunate that this continues to happen near the AT but continues to show that hikers need to find sercure areas and get a shuttle to and from trail heads. This can happen to anyone just about anywhere. Take precautions so that the end of the hike doesn't ruin what has been a wonderful experience.

The Solemates
08-04-2005, 07:35
Johson City Press Tn 7/29/05

Hikers report theft of items in van while on AT. They parked their van at Shook Branch recreation area from 7-24-7/27. The van was broken into and a large amount of equipment, clothing and other items were stolen.
This area is near Watuga Lake. It is unfortunate that this continues to happen near the AT but continues to show that hikers need to find sercure areas and get a shuttle to and from trail heads. This can happen to anyone just about anywhere. Take precautions so that the end of the hike doesn't ruin what has been a wonderful experience.

been said many times before. DONT PARK AROUND ROAN/19E/WATAUGA.

Miss Janet
08-04-2005, 23:25
been said many times before. DONT PARK AROUND ROAN/19E/WATAUGA.

19e! 19e! 19e! OHHHH big scary 19e! Only on the internet!

First of all, Shook Branch is visited by about 200 people a day this time of the year. They are there from all over the area to swim at the Red Neck Riviera. I wouldn't ever leave a car parked there. And those people don't have a clue what the AT is. They use the AT to get to the rope swing and that is all they care about.

So, to say that it has anything to do with the past problems at 19e is ridiculous and uninformed. The internet is a wonderful thing but it is also an easy way to continue to support these "urban trail legends". I am not saying that there are NO problems at 19e. I am saying that there are problems ALL along the trail at many trailheads but the negative incidents at other sites are rarely reported on the net!

Many of the people who live near the trail at 19e have no knowledge of the AT and could care less. Then there are a lot of people there that are very interested in the AT and hikers and want to see this urban legend die down. In the many years of working in that area and the hundreds of shuttles to that area... I have yet to have a single negative experience.

Trailheads are just not always a safe place to park.

Hikerhead
08-04-2005, 23:32
Is it safe to park a car at your place for about a week? :)

SGT Rock
08-05-2005, 08:17
Parked at Watauga for a couple of days without a problem, right there at the main highway passing the lake.

Two Speed
08-05-2005, 08:21
That's safer than parking at Miss Janet's. There's a real hazard she'll put you to work in her kitchen! I've seen photos and everything . . .

Red Hat
08-05-2005, 12:26
Can you imagine if everyone hiking in Northern Tennessee asked to park at Miss Janet's?! My goodness, she does just about everything for hikers, but her yard just can't hold too many cars. Sure your car would be safe, but too many folks take advantage of her generosity. When I was there this spring, almost no one offered to pay for gas during her many shuttles out of Erwin. With the price of gasoline, I know she would appreciate it. Also, lots of hikers expected "work for stay" and then didn't want to work! I mean, work for stay is an option, and she needs help, but she can't afford to let everyone "work for stay". I really got angry at the number of people taking advantage of her. Red Hat

orangebug
08-05-2005, 17:09
You were angry at hikers taking advantage of Ms Janet, probably my favorite hostel, but I haven't seen it occur. She seems to have the right level of tact and directness to get paid and to get work out of folks. Only Bob Peoples holds a candle to her.

I suspect that one could park near Ms Janet's safely, such as the neighboring church and the streets in the area.

The Solemates
08-08-2005, 10:19
19e! 19e! 19e! OHHHH big scary 19e! Only on the internet!

First of all, Shook Branch is visited by about 200 people a day this time of the year. They are there from all over the area to swim at the Red Neck Riviera. I wouldn't ever leave a car parked there. And those people don't have a clue what the AT is. They use the AT to get to the rope swing and that is all they care about.

So, to say that it has anything to do with the past problems at 19e is ridiculous and uninformed. The internet is a wonderful thing but it is also an easy way to continue to support these "urban trail legends". I am not saying that there are NO problems at 19e. I am saying that there are problems ALL along the trail at many trailheads but the negative incidents at other sites are rarely reported on the net!

Many of the people who live near the trail at 19e have no knowledge of the AT and could care less. Then there are a lot of people there that are very interested in the AT and hikers and want to see this urban legend die down. In the many years of working in that area and the hundreds of shuttles to that area... I have yet to have a single negative experience.

Trailheads are just not always a safe place to park.

well i wouldnt park there regardless. its one of only a few places that i have heard of vandals with this type of frequency, on and OFF the net.

geoffrey morris
09-25-2005, 01:34
Hi all, have not posted forever , as all ways parking at my place is aval. I have to closest safe parking near to trail at the dreaded 19e crossing. you should be able to dig up old post about this. One other thing , the persons responsible for most of the 19e troubles ares now in jail for a long time. Like Miss J says it's all just cheap talk now.

G

MedicineMan
09-25-2005, 03:48
to leave a car anywhere, you're always worried that the unthinkable, the inevitable will happen....you mentioned shook branch,,,,well just up the lake at Watauga point we've boardsailed there for years and three times a vehicle of mine has either been hit, broken into or such attempted.
IF you MUST leave a vehicle near Watauga Lake think about the boat ramp parking beside the dam. Wautaga Lake is a TVA lake and TVA has security cops and at least in this parking area security does happen by on a regular basis. I've left a vehicle there several times on overnight paddle trips on Watauga with no problems. Shook Branks and Watauga Point also get jurisdiction of the FS and the TWRA but staffing is so low in these federal agencies that they rarely get to these areas.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-25-2005, 06:22
I just want to echo what Ms. Janet said about 19E's break-ins getting more than their fair share of attention. Vehicles parked in places that are near major roads, but cannot be easily seen from roads and vehicles parked on remote roads that are frequented by those reveling are targets for vandals and thieves everywhere.

My brother is a serious day hiker - mainly in the Cohutta Wilderness and along TN's budding Cumberland Trail. His vehicles were broken into a total of 11 times in the first 6 years he was hiking – and not at all in the past dozen or so years. All of his break-ins occurred at sites where his vehicle was parked near a major road (like 19E) but could not be seen from the road, parked at backcountry parking sites that are not frequently checked by police / security or parked at a site that was also the parking site for a local swimming area / drinking area / party area. He now tries to avoid that sort of parking situation even if it means walking a bit further to a trailhead or getting a shuttle.

hikerdude
09-25-2005, 09:39
I don't have any problems either. I follow the rules to. Miss Janet and oldkathy. Some of the rules from your local clubs are: don't back in. Pull in. Don't try to hide your car somewhere and don't leave change, cell phone or anything inside locked up like North face, Patagonia labels etc. That's what it is; you look like someone that's got $300 in gear in your car.
Now me I vacuum ever thread out of my car. Spotless. So why would anyone break in. No CD's, money, gear, radio, food. Sides just standing around my car is going to get some people in trouble right away. You know what to really do? Park at the police station. That's where I parked. You might have to get some girl to proof read this for you cause my spelling is almost as bad as George Washingtons so I'm told.