PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags for smokies in July?

yankeeman1028
08-09-2013, 16:43
My dad and I try to go hiking in Great Smoky Mountains National park every summer. Next year we want to hike the AT through the park from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap. Currently we have lightweight fleece blankets with zippers and straps that we use as sleeping bags/quilts. I want to start cutting down on weight for this upcoming trip. I am looking for a bag/quilt or other solution that is lighter than a fleece blanket but will still keep us warm at night in July. Does anybody know of a good cheapish bag?

RF_ace
08-09-2013, 16:49
whats your budget?

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2013, 17:28
I tried some fleece sleeping bags (55 degree rating) last year at Mollies Ridge and they just were not warm enough.

So this year, I bought a couple of 2012 model year Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32 degree synthetic bags: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42190 The 2012 year models have been at clearance prices.

So far I've used the bags at Newton Bald, Silers Bald, Gregory Bald, and Mt. Sterling Fire Tower from Memorial Weekend to this past weekend.. It has been more than warm enough at these upper elevations and weights only 2 pounds.

Now I bought this bag thinking I'll be able to use it from late spring to early fall in the Smokies. But if you're going to limit yourself to the summer, you might want to consider the Ultralamina 45 weighting only 1.5 pounds: http://www.rei.com/product/860986/mountain-hardwear-ultralamina-45-sleeping-bag-2012-closeout

TNhiker
08-09-2013, 17:38
i also have a mountain hardware ultralamina..........but i think mine is rated for 45 degrees....

for the most part----i will keep me warm in july..............last year was much hotter than this year, so there have been a few times this year where i've been a touch chilly with it.......but, if one wears something else (sweat pants or fleece jacket) then it's perfect......

i got mine at a bargain price of 100 bucks since riversports in knoxville matched a price i found online....

it packs down to about the size of a cantelope so its not too bulky......

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2013, 18:06
i also have a mountain hardware ultralamina..........but i think mine is rated for 45 degrees....
it packs down to about the size of a cantelope so its not too bulky......

I would say my 32 degrees packs down to a pair of cantelopes smashed together (specs say 6x10 - it's the same size stuff sack for reg and large size)

My 55 degree fleece ALMOST kept me warm enough at Mollies while wearing a toboggan. So I'm surprised a 45 degree rated bag wasn't warm enough. For the last two months, even at the high elevations, I usually don't do more than get my feet inside my 32 degree bag (making use of the fact that the ultralamina has a 2nd 1/3 length zipper so that you can fold it down off your chest).

yankeeman1028
08-09-2013, 18:09
Thanks so much for all the suggestions ill look into all of these!

RF_ace
08-09-2013, 18:58
best bet would be a down bag, i started to get cold with my rei sub kilo last oct. and it had a "plus 20" rating, though it was roughly 35 degrees out

Sunshine82
08-09-2013, 22:17
My boyfriend used his fleece bag last week and it worked great but I had my 20 degree cats meow and was super comfy the temps at night were in the low fifties

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2013, 23:12
if you're going to limit yourself to the summer, you might want to consider the Ultralamina 45 weighting only 1.5 pounds: http://www.rei.com/product/860986/mountain-hardwear-ultralamina-45-sleeping-bag-2012-closeout
I just got an email saying that REI is having an outlet sale where you get an extra 20% off of one item. That means the above bag is currently on sale for less than $115.