PDA

View Full Version : Flying with your backpack

tucker0104
08-09-2013, 20:31
Thinking about doing a hike in California mid-September. Am I allowed to take everything in my backpack besides the fuel canister? How do you secure the stuff outside the bag to make sure it doesn't fall off? Thanks for the advice.

JustaTouron
08-09-2013, 20:37
You also can't pack your bear spray (if you have it) or you are allowed one book of matches or lighter in your carry on but not in your checked bag.

As for the bag itself. Its best to pack it in something else....duffle bag, suit case.

Hill Ape
08-09-2013, 20:42
do you mean as carry on or checked? there are no fly items for carry on. theres not many for checked bags. put your whole backpack in a cheap laundry bag.

tucker0104
08-09-2013, 20:50
for checking it. I doubt that tent stakes would be a carry on.

Rasty
08-09-2013, 20:57
I checked in everything inside my luggage. Alcohol stove without fuel of course. Declare any large knives if you have one. I don't have a big camping knives but most times traveling I'm packing Chefs knives.

Hill Ape
08-09-2013, 21:01
as checked luggage, everything else you're likely to pack is good to go. think pressurized canister, fuel or otheriwise is not going to fly.

Turk6177
08-10-2013, 06:57
I checked mine and just put it in a lawn and leaf bag to keep all the straps and buckles safe. I tied the top and left access to my hanging strap so I could affix the luggage tag.

Not Sunshine
08-10-2013, 08:47
I just had a similar experience:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96723-Airplane-travel-TSA-allowance-Trekking-poles-flint-OH-MY!&highlight= (http://TSA allowance 2013)

Just to be safe, I sent my questionable items via UPS ground to my destination. After the hike, I had a friend wait at TSA and she sent back any items that they wouldn't let me through. I don't know if the generosity or pleasantness of TSA came into play, but:

My alcohol stove and empty (washed out and dried) fuel canister (soda bottle) were allowed on.
My tarptent with 4 stakes were allowed on
My 2 28" trekking poles with normal/sharp tips were allowed on (strapped to outside of my pack)
My flint to start stove was allowed on (I did not attempt my BIC lighter)

My 1.5" long swiss army knife was NOT allowed.

There's the gist of it. And I flew CLT to BOISE idaho.

garlic08
08-10-2013, 09:13
I carried on my AT pack. Stakes and poles were OK, but I checked with TSA first and allowed time to check them if needed. At my destination I bought a package of single-edged razor blades and a Bic lighter and I was good for the next 2200 miles.

On my return flight, TSA did not allow the poles, though others on the flight had them. Go figure, but just don't argue. I hear if you call them walking aids, you can generally carry them on.

Hill Ape
08-10-2013, 09:33
if all you have is common backpacking gear, as checked luggage there is no reason to mail anything other than pressurized canisters. for perspective, each passenger is allowed 11lb of ammunition in a checked bag

i ran a concourse for 3 years in baggage handling, at the busiest airport in the world. i still work for that airline in another capacity, and my girlfriend is a flight attendant

backpack in the garbage bag, wrap in duct tape a couple times, check it at the ticket counter, enjoy your flight

tucker0104
08-10-2013, 17:09
Trash bag and duct tape it is. Thanks for the help.

Del Q
08-10-2013, 18:49
Thats what I have been doing, Philly to Johnson City, back from Boston.............trash bags and duct tape, tore a small hole where the top loop on my backpack is........duct taped that as well, worked great.

shakey_snake
08-11-2013, 17:29
Ask for a "stroller bag" at check-in.

Madthrush
08-11-2013, 19:08
I frequently fly with backpacking equipment. Ask for a large plastic bag at check in to cover your backpack, most airlines offer them (is this the stoller bag mentioned above?). Make sure matches and stove (all valves and fuel compartments open and empty) are in the checked luggage or backpack and you should not have any problems. I frequently find my bag has been inspected probably b/c they detect my stove and check it out but nothing has ever been confiscated. Tip: Best option is to put your stove in a suitcase and check both your backpack and the suitcase. This in case they ask you at check in if you have a stove in your backpack (they have never asked about my suitcase contents). If you say "yes" (which you must do if they ask) they will unpack your backpack to inspect the stove. I almost missed a flight once b/c they could not find my model backpacking stove in their database and had to call headquarters to get approval on the model and that took about 45 minutes. Bottom line is not to carry on any camping equipment. My stove is the only item that has caused me any trouble and if you put it in checked luggage and keep all valves open when packed, you should have no problem even if inspected. Hope this helps.