PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Fontana Dam visitor center

Westcork
08-10-2013, 13:47
Hiking Winding Stair to Fontana Dam in October. Will I be able to park at the visitor center at Fontana Dam? Is there a fee? If not, best alternate..

Hikes in Rain
08-10-2013, 13:54
Nice hike. Yes, parking at Fontana is safe and free. (Plus they have showers!)

Westcork
08-10-2013, 13:58
Thanks Hikes in Rain!!

MuddyWaters
08-10-2013, 14:14
Hiking Winding Stair to Fontana Dam in October. Will I be able to park at the visitor center at Fontana Dam? Is there a fee? If not, best alternate..

Its safe and free, with a nice shelter 200 yds away. Possibly the best place on the entire AT to park.

Omaha_Ace
08-13-2013, 13:45
Its safe and free, with a nice shelter 200 yds away. Possibly the best place on the entire AT to park.

Do you have to register for this shelter, or is it outside the park?

Omaha_Ace
08-13-2013, 13:46
And - is there a Subway or Jimmy Johns relatively close? lol...

cowpoke
08-13-2013, 14:42
Don't have to register...outside the park. As stated...several hundred yards from the visitor center. Great shelter...but no...no Subway or Jimmy Johns nearby....only the lake.

Omaha_Ace
08-13-2013, 16:02
I thought EVERYWHERE had a Subway...

We have a driver meeting us at Fontana to swap some gear out before heading south for three more days. I'm trying to figure out what to ask him to fetch for me for dinner on 9/2/13 when we meet up with him.

daddytwosticks
08-13-2013, 16:21
I could be wrong. Robbinsville, NC may have a Subway. Haven't been thru that town since the "incident". :)

Omaha_Ace
08-13-2013, 16:40
I could be wrong. Robbinsville, NC may have a Subway. Haven't been thru that town since the "incident". :)

Um. What? Is there a Notorious Subway Bitch of Robbinsville?

As long as we're talking about food being essentially catered to me at Fontana, I might as well shoot for the moon. Locals or folks familiar - if you could have any single meal from any local and easily accessible restauraunt dropped off to you at Fontana - what would it be, where does it come from, and what is so special about it?

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 16:53

You can park in two places. At the Fontana Dam Visitors Center(yes there are showers here that they close down in winter, neat dam exhibits and small souvenir shop/bookstore, a few snacks) AND also at the parking lot about 1/2 mile up the paved road near the Fontana "Hilton" AT Shelter(this has one shower in each bathroom). However, I would double check the parking status at the Dam Visitors' Center. I've never parked here for several days just on day hikes up into GSMNP. The "Hilton" is one of the nicest shelters on the entire AT and is well maintained. No fees are charged in either parking area. Both parking areas are safe as safe goes. The F Dam Visitor's Center is controlled and patrolled by the Tenn Valley Auth security so leave a note on the inside windshield concerning when you'll be back in a few days after hiking IF you so choose to leave a vehicle in this parking lot.

Fontana Village Resort has food to buy at a small grocery store with microwavable foods, ice cream shop, etc and restaurants( a cafe, salad bar, and fancier upscale restaurant, pizzas are good as well as the b-fast buffet). Also has a USPO and a small selection of hiking gear supplies. There's usually a hiker box floating around nearr the USPO entry or at the samll grocery store. The Resort is about 2 -2 1/2 miles away up a narrow winding road. At the "Hiton" is a ph number for a $2 each way shuttle service that the resort provides.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 16:59
Getting To Robbinsville isn't prollly necessary for a decent meal. See above. It's usually a two part hitch each way.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 17:01
Rob ville is not really easily accessible. It would be like a 55 mile + round trip hitch. I've done it three times each way.

TNhiker
08-13-2013, 17:19
parking at the upper lot of the visitors center is no problem....its kinda known that if you park where the sign that says something like drop packs here, the cars around are out on hikes......

but i wouldnt leave a note on car.....unless you like coming back to replace windows.......keep the element of surprise......

one could also park down at the marina....

ive parked there many times and never had a problem.........

as far as food in that area-----there really isnt much...........

for me---the resorts grocery store was nothing but overpriced crap........i have never tried their restaurants so i cant attest to quality/price of food.....

but, omaha ace---you never stated where your ride is coming from..........they may be able to pass through bryson city and deliver you something....

whatever you get delivered there though---will bound to be cold by the time it gets to you at the dam.....

Rasty
08-13-2013, 18:52
KFC In Waynesville. I suggest chicken legs.

HooKooDooKu
08-13-2013, 19:32
The closest food source to Fontana Dam I know of is the hotel at Fontana Village. But the AT does not go near Fontana Village, and the hotel is about 4 miles away even by car.

Otherwise, the closest 'fast food' service I know of to Fontana Dam is the Robbinsville already listed. But its about a 35 minute car ride from Fontana Dam.

KFC In Waynesville. I suggest chicken legs.
There's a KFC in Cherokee, NC. That would be closer, but that's still about an hour away from Fontana Dam.