PDA

View Full Version : Post holder maps

nu2hike
08-10-2013, 14:29
Do you reccomend these maps for hiking the AT or is there a better choice?
thanks

kayak karl
08-10-2013, 16:51
What maps??

nu2hike
08-10-2013, 17:04
That would be helpful, wouldn't it ! :)
the AT pocket maps, http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Southern-States-Volume/dp/1475286953/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1376168517&sr=8-8&keywords=appalachian+trail+map

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 17:47
The one review on Amazon isn't good.

nu2hike
08-11-2013, 01:00
What maps do most of you use?

Alleghanian Orogeny
08-11-2013, 05:45
The one review on Amazon isn't good.

I wasn't able to find the review.

Being a user of topo maps for decades, first impresson is that I like the Postholer series. The 1:40,000 scale is very usable and should allow turn-by-turn navigation along the AT, with plenty of topo coverage of adjacent areas for either blue blazers or bail-out use. I'd like to see some reviews from users. There may not be many--they were first published in May 2012.

AO

Sly
08-11-2013, 11:20
It's Postholer! (not holder)

They look decent to me.

Email Scott if you have any question, public (AT) postholer.com

Here's the debatable review by Lawrence C. Wolf (he's biggest contention is they're not in meters)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/customer-reviews/stars-1-0._V192241078_.gif Medieval and inapplicable for hicking (http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2JB1W1N4D8KV3/ref=cm_pdp_rev_title_2?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R1L7KHYZC2TQBH), June 4, 2013
The substance of the map book is of very bad/ low quality: Unusable scale, north arrow is completely missing (indispensable to orient a map in terrain), unclear diminutive size footnotes, and -very important- they use inches and feet instead of kilometer, meter, centimeter which seems medieval and not according to any international standard / norm. (Think why Nasa changed to an international standard ... !) Inapplicable for hiking, all in all crap! Back to sender today.

Alleghanian Orogeny
08-11-2013, 11:51
It's Postholer! (not holder)

They look decent to me.

Email Scott if you have any question, public (AT) postholer.com

Here's the debatable review by Lawrence C. Wolf (he's biggest contention is they're not in meters)

I find Mr. Wolf's review entirely useless. North/south is clearly up and down the left and right sides of the map, east/west clearly back and forth. Look at the lat/lon grids, Mr. Wolf. A compass rose/north arrow would be redundant and meaningless. Year of publication magnetic declination clearly marked so those who know how to use a map and compass can fine tune their instrument. Unusable scale? Seriously? At 1:40,000 they're not a great deal smaller scale than USGS 7.5' topographic quadrangles (1:24,000), for crying out loud (I of course realize there is a material numerical difference between 1:40k and 1:24k, but in terms of applicability to a useful scale for hiking, the 1:40k is perfectly fine and provides a happy medium between close-in scale and being cumbersome). The 40' contour interval on the Iron Mt, TN section pictured is the same as used in most of the Blue Ridge Mountains on USGS 7.5' quadrangles. Those accustomed to using USGS 7.5' sheets to navigate in the mountains will find the contour interval wholly to their liking and meeting their expectations. Practically all Guidebooks and maps use English units measure--why should Postholer show kilometer distances when the signage at trailheads and along the trail are in miles?

In the spirit of "hick your own hick", I'll wish Mr. Wolf the best on his "hicking" experience, but I'll pass on following his lead.

AO

Miner
08-11-2013, 13:36
I used the northern book when I did the norther 600miles. The maps were good looking and it was nice to look at to see how the trail was going to wind around the hills and mountains and they did show where the shelters were. My only complaints are that it doesn't show side trails and not all dirt roads so tracking where you were was a bit more difficult then it had to be. I also still carried AWOL's pages as they had more information at a glance, particularly about how far apart things were and where to resupply and I referred to more often..

Sly
08-11-2013, 13:42
I find Mr. Wolf's review entirely useless.

Pretty much what I thought AO.

Seadogg
09-18-2014, 21:48
I was looking at those on Amazon too, I do a lot of walking at work I keep up with the mileage every day. I thought it would be fun to plot daily distance on map from the pictures they look good for that. I hope to thru one day. Until then this will have to do:)