PDA

View Full Version : Gear list...go ahead, pick me apart, just don't pick my nose!

Symba
08-10-2013, 15:53
GearList 2013 Hike (SOBO August 25ish)
Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack
Marmot 40degree mummy sleeping bag
Merrell low hiker boots Moebs. (not 100% happy with these, awaiting a pair of Teva mid boots in the mail).
OR gators, low style
Leki hiking poles (just broke one of my super makalus I bought thirteen years ago, awaiting new pair in the mail)
Socks: three pair smartwool hiking mids
Shorts: one pair zip off leg Sportif, one NB runningshorts
Shirts: AT wicking shirt, one Duofold, one Acclimate
Rain Jacket: very light weight Red Ledge
Bandanas (3) from ATC
Pack Towel (old but works, cut in half)
Tent: KeltyTeton 2 (stuffed into a Granit Gear compression sack)
Sleep pad: Thermarest Z-Lite
Stove: Pocket Rocket w/2L MSR pot w/lid (stove andfuel fit in pot) plus lexan spoon.
Water: 2 nalgenes, 1 gatorade bottle, 1 Pur Katadyn filter pump
Pack cover: Lowe Alpine (my old one)
Camp/town shoes: Teva sandles.
Pocket Knife & lighters.
Med kit: meds needed to stay alive from doctor, compede bandages, Neosporin, ankle support wrap, bugspray, etc.
Phone and solar charger (phone is also camera andmusic; off most of the time)
Head Lamp: Princeton Tech
Food: Ziploc of Gorp is constant as are waterflavorers.
Five to seven days of rice/bean or such packets, Kindbrand bars (2 a day) Candy crapola.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-10-2013, 15:54
How could we possibly pick your nose? You haven't given us any choices :banana

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 15:55
toothbrush, whistle

Symba
08-10-2013, 15:55
:D I'm kind like that!

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 15:56
guidebook or map

Symba
08-10-2013, 15:57
I don't brush my teeth. HA!! Yeah, the little things. I do have a whistle on one of the zippers, also a little led light that when you twist it the thing flashes (used on dog collar when roads are busy walking at night as I also use the headlamp. TY for the reminders!

Symba
08-10-2013, 15:58
Duh, I forgot to write in my AT data book and AT Thru hikers companion, got em!

Symba
08-10-2013, 16:02
freshie fresh wipes, forgot to add that too. Maybe a journal to write in at night. Eyeglasses, sanity, insanity, and friendship. I'll utilize a smile too :D

Rasty
08-10-2013, 16:04
If it's the Down Marmot 40 sleeping bag I have the same. You may need something warmer within a couple of weeks. It's a good bag until around 35 degrees. Hitting the Whites in September you really need an insulated jacket, gloves, hat and probably rain pants due to the weather variations.

Symba
08-10-2013, 16:13
Not sure if I need to pack a winter weight pull over for camp this time of year. Debating; could always have it shipped to me at a mail drop.

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2013, 16:14
That seems like a decent list.

First thoughts:

My biggest concern is your food, do you actually like eating those things and can you eat them day after day? There are many threads about what people do and don't like to eat when they're hiking, check them out if you want some good ideas.

Missing?:
toilet paper and purell?
Mole skin?
Small amount of soap - Dont listen to folks that say they don't wash their hands when hiking, it's just bad advice. Search this site for the keyword "Norovirus (https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&nota=1&site=&source=hp&q=norovirus+site%3Awhiteblaze.net&btnG=Search&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1)" of you want a reason to be convinced.
Your bag and sleeping pad seem okay for the A.T. In August, but if you are doing a thru or long trip, plan to switch out them out for something warmer at some point.
Maps/compass/guidebook, or some combination of these.

The following items seem fine if they work for you, but someone is going to chime in and say that they are too heavy, It's up to you if you want to listen to that advice.

Nalgene bottles
Filter pump
Two person tent
Teva sandals
I don't like gaitors, some folks love them, again, up to you.
Pack cover - line the inside of your bag with a garbage bag. Do this regardless of whether you have a pack cover or not.

Keep your sleeping bag in a waterproof compression sack.

Dont keep your tent in a waterproof compression sack it's a waste. Your tent will be wet every morning, my tent fly usually lives the outside pocket of my pack so that it can dry throughout the day, the tent body may or may not actually go inside my pack depending how wet it is.

I'm sure there's more that others will point suggest.

Symba
08-10-2013, 16:14
or just utilize the rain jacket for warmth. wish I could go back and change an answer on this thread so I don't post to myself so darn much.

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 16:15
I would add a winter hat. I find once I have a windbreaker/rain gear plus one insulating layer adding a winter hat extends my comfort range more than adding a thick fleece and at one fifth the weight. As an added bonus it is real easy to start the day wearing and remove it once I get moving and warm up. Taking off a shirt/jacket requires taking off the pack. Also simple to put back on it I stop.

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2013, 16:21
or just utilize the rain jacket for warmth. wish I could go back and change an answer on this thread so I don't post to myself so darn much.

I always bring a warmish long sleeve shirt with me, right now using a surprisingly warm quarter zip Adidas shirt that I got cheap at Costco. Even in the summer it can get cold when it's rainy and windy and this plus my rain jacket works well when it's miserable but temperatures are moderate.

Rasty
08-10-2013, 16:29
May 13th on Mount Washington was Sunny, light wind and 65 degrees when I hiked it. Shorts, T-Shirt, Gaiters and Microspikes was all I needed. The Following week May 20th on Mt. Lafayette it was around 30 degrees, 30 mph wind and I was wearing pants, gaiters, T-Shirt, Rain Shell Jacket, Microfleece hat, shell gloves without insulation when Hiking. I stopped on top of Lafayette and put on a Down Jacket while having a bit to eat. Two pounds of gear can be the diference between comfort and agony.

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 16:32
Two pounds of gear can be the diference between comfort and agony.

Or maybe even life and death.

Slo-go'en
08-10-2013, 16:33
Yep, a 40 degree bag is starting to get very marginal by the end of August, especially if it isn't brand new. We already had a couple of nights in the 30's this summer.

At least add a silk liner, thermal long johns, thermal top and a long sleeve shirt. Along with a fleece hat, gloves and a warm jacket. I find a fleece neck warmer can help a lot to keep the drafts off my neck when it gets chilly. I always have those in my pack. Last year I SOBO'd the LT starting early August and needed all that by the end of August.

That will work for a while, but eventually you'll need a 20 degree bag and then a 0 degree and then a -20 degree one. And a down jacket, fleece pants, insulated booties and all that other great winter gear....

I doubt you'll need shorts at all.

I'd go with a good rain jacket, preferably gortex or eVent. Rain pants would be a very good idea too. Once you get into Sept/Oct you don't want to fool around with marginal gear. Your life will litterly depend on being able to stay warm and dry.

It's really hard to pack for cold weather when your used to it being really hot. It just doesn't seem right or even possible.

Good luck with the solar charger - a spare battery or battery powered charger is much more reliable.

Symba
08-10-2013, 16:35
right on, i'll go with that. Thanks. I am just worried about how fast weather can change high up. Having the safety of a pull over and long sleeve shirt in my pack will work well; plus it is a good pillow. :D

Rasty
08-10-2013, 16:49
right on, i'll go with that. Thanks. I am just worried about how fast weather can change high up. Having the safety of a pull over and long sleeve shirt in my pack will work well; plus it is a good pillow. :D

23329The frost on the trees. This is May 20th. One month later I was hiking from Garcia to Lafayette and the weather turned bad. The wind was easily 70 mph and the wind chill must have been around 20 degrees. You can hike in this with your list, but you cannot stop for any reason.

Slo-go'en
08-10-2013, 16:50
I don't know if I'd bother with a tent. Certinally not a heavy two person one. A Bivy sack will be more useful in the long run for extra insulation and keeping the bag dry from rain and snow blowing into a shelter. Not too much chance of coming to a full shelter in Maine in September.

If your going to use gaiters use long ones. You'll need them once you have to start walking through snow. Eventually you'll need insulated boots too. Low cut, non-insulated and non-water proof boots just aren't going to cut it long term.

There is a whole lot about late fall/early winter hiking and camping which isn't obvious. That's why we recommend doing short trips first to gain experiance and test gear before one commits to trying a long trip.

And the most important piece of gear - lots and lots of money - your going to need it!

Rasty
08-10-2013, 16:59
The best lesson I learned this past winter was having the right mittens is important. I started with an insulated mitten with a waterproof shell and a removable liner. The insulated shell part was too warm for 30 degree freezing rain but the liner wasn't waterproof. The result was that I sweated inside my mittens which Froze later. I now have (Thanks to Rocketsocks) a pair of Shell Mittens without Insulation and seperate liner mittens. The flexibility wasn't there the first time. It sucks putting clothing on to thaw the clothing.

Drybones
08-10-2013, 20:05
You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you cant pick your friends nose....I dont know maybe you can...anyway, I suggest you weigh everything by item and see what you have weight wise and start from there and see what opportunities exist to reduce weight.

Symba
08-11-2013, 14:33
Thank you for the suggestions and insight; I take it heavily (no pun intended, haha). I'll pack my winter gear. I've gotten so darn used to spring to fall hiking on short trips that I gravitated from needing to carry weight. I still won't be over 40pds with winter gear. I'll bring my winter gear! I prefer to be safe and comfy thank skimpy. I figured the temps will go between 40F and 90F from late august to the first week of October. This may turn into a thru hike, but may not. Will see. It is definitely planned for six weeks out at the very least. I live in PA, can pick up or have mailed additional clothing. thanks again. :D

Slo-go'en
08-11-2013, 15:42
On a short trip you can grin and bear it for a day or two if things get dicy, but on a long trip you do need to be prepared for the "worst case". In the mountains in the fall the weather can go from great to misserable in hours, then stay that way for days. If your far from home or a town when that happens, you can be in trouble.

You don't have to gear up for full on artic conditions for Sept through end of October, but you do need to be ready for sub-freezing temps and maybe even some high 20's early in the morning as you get into October. Thinking it will never get below 40 during that time is very wishful thinking...

Drybones
08-11-2013, 16:56
On a short trip you can grin and bear it for a day or two if things get dicy, but on a long trip you do need to be prepared for the "worst case". In the mountains in the fall the weather can go from great to misserable in hours, then stay that way for days. If your far from home or a town when that happens, you can be in trouble.

You don't have to gear up for full on artic conditions for Sept through end of October, but you do need to be ready for sub-freezing temps and maybe even some high 20's early in the morning as you get into October. Thinking it will never get below 40 during that time is very wishful thinking...

True, you never know what might happen. Last spring was exceptionally hot, just the opposite this year. I started back at Hampton the last week of March to be greeted by a winter storm with heavy snow, single digit temps and 30 mph winds...winds were the worst of it, sucked the heat right out of you. I slept in a 20 degree bag I'd put an extra 4 oz of down in to get it to 15 degrees and a down jacket and long johns and stayed awake shivering all night. You can always unzip and hang a leg out if you have too much and you're hot.

JustaTouron
08-11-2013, 17:02
I figured the temps will go between 40F and 90F from late august to the first week of October.

Starting in Northern Maine. I doubt you see anywhere close to 90. You might have a couple of days with highs in the low 80s. However, going thru the Whites you might see 20.

Symba
08-11-2013, 17:13
that's the info I was looking for, many thanks.

Symba
08-25-2013, 09:04
GearList 2013 Hike (SOBO August 25ish)
Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack
Marmot 40degree mummy sleeping bag
Merrell low hiker boots Moebs. (not 100% happy with these, awaiting a pair of Teva mid boots in the mail).
OR gators, low style
Leki hiking poles (just broke one of my super makalus I bought thirteen years ago, awaiting new pair in the mail)
Socks: three pair smartwool hiking mids
Shorts: one pair zip off leg Sportif, one NB runningshorts
Shirts: AT wicking shirt, one Duofold, one Acclimate
Rain Jacket: very light weight Red Ledge
Bandanas (3) from ATC
Pack Towel (old but works, cut in half)
Tent: KeltyTeton 2 (stuffed into a Granit Gear compression sack)
Sleep pad: Thermarest Z-Lite
Stove: Pocket Rocket w/2L MSR pot w/lid (stove andfuel fit in pot) plus lexan spoon.
Water: 2 nalgenes, 1 gatorade bottle, 1 Pur Katadyn filter pump
Pack cover: Lowe Alpine (my old one)
Camp/town shoes: Teva sandles.
Pocket Knife & lighters.
Med kit: meds needed to stay alive from doctor, compede bandages, Neosporin, ankle support wrap, bugspray, etc.
Phone and solar charger (phone is also camera andmusic; off most of the time)
Head Lamp: Princeton Tech
Food: Ziploc of Gorp is constant as are waterflavorers.
Five to seven days of rice/bean or such packets, Kindbrand bars (2 a day) Candy crapola.

Updated Gear: Took into consideration comments. I'll only, yeah only, be out there for around six weeks, planned for two months. I switched out the 40 degree Marmot with a 20 degree flathead and decided instead of my Patagonia R4 fleece I'd take my pull over puffball; also have my OR fleece hat. Will not be bringing the solar charger. Instead I acquired an extra battery and the little wall outlet charger fits both my dumb phone and MP3/camera phone; freaking SIM card from my dumb phone won't work with the smart phone I have no service for; but just in case they both dial out 911 for free; bugs me that the SIM card from my dumb phone wouldn't work in the smart phone. I don't use phones much, hate talking on them. So, service isn't an issue for me. Apps are nice though, looked into them instead of a paper data and guide book I ripped in half and will take. Leaving behind the pack towel; no need when I have two bandanas. Instead of the original boots, Merrell Moebs, and after a month of wearing them, I decided to go with the mid Teva boots that are very light and seemingly awesome. Anyone have experiences with Teva boots?

Symba
08-25-2013, 09:09
BTW, i'll be out in the NE section from this Monday to no later than, i'm guessing, October 15th; for perspective on gear options taken. :banana