PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Creek Campground

TorreyS
08-10-2013, 20:09
Hey guys, I was wondering how safe the Thunder Creek Campground is for overnight parking or if the ranger's have any issues. Looking to backpack a loop heading south on the Benton MacKaye.

SGT Rock
08-10-2013, 20:37
It's fine for overnight parking.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tipi Walter
08-13-2013, 18:01
I left my car there once for 11 days. Seems pretty safe when compared to other spots, plus there's a camp hostess nearby (during open season) who was friendly enough to let me make a call on her cell phone.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 18:29
Don't you mean the Thunder Rock Camp Ground on the Ocoee River in Section 11 of the Benton Mckaye Trail? I would assume yes because Cleveland TN is nearby. If that's the place I was there four days ago as I finished up my AT/BMT Loop. Camp hosts are nice. Tell them about you wanting to leave a vehicle there. This campground is right on the river and frequented by mountain bikers, rafters, and hikers. It's well run with showers in season. I can't foresee any safety issues. Going south from here on the BMT is the more scenic way to go unless you did the scenic BMT section from Coker Crk to Hiwassee River to Ocoee River through the Thunder Rock CG up to say Daily Gap. Rough Crk and Lost Crk are nice areas. What's your proposed loop? I just finished up near Watson Gap where I had left off. Got a ride out from there.

Gonecampn
08-15-2013, 21:21
I not sure about overnight parking etc. but the campground seems pretty safe. I've been there a couple of times just for day use. Also, was dropped out at the trail head there and hiked about 65 miles. Tried to make it to Springer but it didn't happen :( I can't wait to be back on the BMT again!!!!