PDA

View Full Version : which bag to use?

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 08:45
im doing a 6 day section hike in maine beginning september 9th. im not sure where im going yet, but itll be south of monson,plan on sectioning sobo, so maybe the bigelows caratunk to hwy 27. should i take the 15deg bag or the 30?ive got a ba lost ranger 15 and a wm highlite30.
for clothing im bringing lightweight softshell pants, long sleeve wicking t, lightweight capilene, ems polarguard long johns, top and bottoms,ems micropuffy jkt and marmot mica rain jkt.i was thinking if i take the 30, i would bring my montbell down jkt, and maybe even the pants, which would app equal the weight difference between the bags. if i bring the lost ranger instead, i dont want to really carry the extra weight,would take a midweight fleece instead of the down jkt and pants.
any thoughts?

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 09:16
After walking that area myself, I would advise on going as light as I can. Having said that, if you plan on sleeping at high elevation (say Avery Campsite) you may need the 15. If you are willing to sleep in everything and sleep as low as you can (rain jacket and pack liner over feet if necessary) the 30 should be fine. I slept that way at Avery in my 45+. It got down to the high 30's. I was fine. It is more about the elevations in September than September by it self in my opinion.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 09:26
After walking that area myself, I would advise on going as light as I can. Having said that, if you plan on sleeping at high elevation (say Avery Campsite) you may need the 15. If you are willing to sleep in everything and sleep as low as you can (rain jacket and pack liner over feet if necessary) the 30 should be fine. I slept that way at Avery in my 45+. It got down to the high 30's. I was fine. It is more about the elevations in September than September by it self in my opinion.
well i know you're right about the elevation. if it doesnt get below 20 i should be fine with the lighter bag.except for avery and horns pond, the other sites are much lower

Storm
08-11-2013, 09:57
You are doing it all wrong.:) Sorry HB, couldn't resist.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 10:14
You are doing it all wrong.:) Sorry HB, couldn't resist. that's okay I really can't handle the pressure of trying to do it right

rocketsocks
08-11-2013, 10:44
You raise an interesting point, and maybe even a thread starting question I've wondered about for some time....let me set it up for you...

Your walking along at high elevation on a clear blue crisp day, it's getting late in the afternoon, temps are already starting to drop as the sun is going down....time to think about setting up camp....but where?

Do you...

1) bail off the ridge for valleys below knowing temps will be low tonight, and you don't want the added elevation temps to play a role in what will likely be a very cold evening.

or

2) stay put and set up camp, as cold air will settle in and fill the valleys below.

Oh, and HB, not that I have any experience with clod weather camping per se, but i'm thinking the heavier weight for it's ability to keep you warm, and lowering your pack volume by reducing items taken....but this is just a guess, and first thought.

HikerMom58
08-11-2013, 10:46
that's okay I really can't handle the pressure of trying to do it right

I'm sure you won't do it all right so no pressure. ;) The only thing I "demand" you get right is that you stay safe. You gotta do that part all right.:D

Seriously, i know you will have fun!! :sun So jealous!!

jeffmeh
08-11-2013, 10:52
Will you be comfortable sleeping in the 30F bag if the temperature drops to 20F? If so, then I would go for it. If not, take the 15F bag.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 10:53
that's okay I really can't handle the pressure of trying to do it right

I'm sure you won't do it all right so no pressure. ;) The only thing I "demand" you get right is that you stay safe. You gotta do that part all right.:D

Seriously, i know you will have fun!! :sun So jealous!! I'm not planning on bringing any maps or compass I'm going to see if I can find some thin trace of a game trail to follow until it dead ends then see if I can actually find my way back to the trail I should be fine

Just Bill
08-11-2013, 10:55
Are you a hot hiker? Temp wise, I know you're a handsome devil. Planning on moving all day, or lounging around a bit? Will you stay up high as mentioned? If you're warm during the day and not hanging around camp- you'd be better served with the heavier bag and fewer clothes- that way if you choose to stay up high you don't have to risk the shivers. If you anticipate a more mixed day- then the extra clothes and cooler bag would be the trick. Typically for me- when I'm not going sun-up to sun-down- I prefer the versatility of a cooler bag and more layering options, especially in North country where I tend to get trapped into sitting for an hour or two gazing at the view or lounging around "that perfect camp" that tends to show up with alarming frequency up there.

HikerMom58
08-11-2013, 11:01
I'm not planning on bringing any maps or compass I'm going to see if I can find something Trace of the game trail to follow until a dead end then see if I can actually find my way back to the trail I should be fine

Oh NOOO!! Say it isn't soooo!!! No maps or compass???? How bout a SPOT????

You should at least plan to bring cheese to mark your trail so you can find your way back. That way you could end the debate on how long cheese lasts on the trail. It's a win-win!! See, you'd be doing it all right!!! :D

Rasty
08-11-2013, 11:06
I'm not planning on bringing any maps or compass I'm going to see if I can find something Trace of the game trail to follow until a dead end then see if I can actually find my way back to the trail I should be fine

Just remember the sun rises in the west!

HikerMom58
08-11-2013, 11:08
]Are you a hot hiker? [/B] Temp wise, I know you're a handsome devil. Planning on moving all day, or lounging around a bit? Will you stay up high as mentioned? If you're warm during the day and not hanging around camp- you'd be better served with the heavier bag and fewer clothes- that way if you choose to stay up high you don't have to risk the shivers. If you anticipate a more mixed day- then the extra clothes and cooler bag would be the trick. Typically for me- when I'm not going sun-up to sun-down- I prefer the versatility of a cooler bag and more layering options, especially in North country where I tend to get trapped into sitting for an hour or two gazing at the view or lounging around "that perfect camp" that tends to show up with alarming frequency up there.

Oh yes, JB he's a hottie...I've meet him in person!! :sun He's called me a "hottie", I believe, so right back at ya, HB!! ;)

Sorry JB...back to what you were sayin... :D

Just Bill
08-11-2013, 11:19
Oh yes, JB he's a hottie...I've meet him in person!! :sun He's called me a "hottie", I believe, so right back at ya, HB!! ;)

Sorry JB...back to what you were sayin... :D

In that case then- carry the cooler bag and leave the extra clothes at home. Bring HMKD, she will carry herself and keep you warm at night. Please make sure that you provide all pertinent information in your OP, without inside info like this it is impossible to make a good recommendation- You're doing it all wrong correctly as usual.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 11:22
Are you a hot hiker? Temp wise, I know you're a handsome devil. Planning on moving all day, or lounging around a bit? Will you stay up high as mentioned? If you're warm during the day and not hanging around camp- you'd be better served with the heavier bag and fewer clothes- that way if you choose to stay up high you don't have to risk the shivers. If you anticipate a more mixed day- then the extra clothes and cooler bag would be the trick. Typically for me- when I'm not going sun-up to sun-down- I prefer the versatility of a cooler bag and more layering options, especially in North country where I tend to get trapped into sitting for an hour or two gazing at the view or lounging around "that perfect camp" that tends to show up with alarming frequency up there.
thats my thinking.i dont think its going to be that cold except for avery peak, and i can always push on to horns pond if thats the case.id rather have the extra layers for around campas the days are getting shorter mid september. im planning? on 10-12 mile days, although if im feeling good, which i expect i can up that to the 14-15 range and still not pushing too hard.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 11:23
thanks for that. fortunately i stand on my head a lot

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 11:24
You raise an interesting point, and maybe even a thread starting question I've wondered about for some time....let me set it up for you...

Your walking along at high elevation on a clear blue crisp day, it's getting late in the afternoon, temps are already starting to drop as the sun is going down....time to think about setting up camp....but where?

Do you...

1) bail off the ridge for valleys below knowing temps will be low tonight, and you don't want the added elevation temps to play a role in what will likely be a very cold evening.

or

2) stay put and set up camp, as cold air will settle in and fill the valleys below.

Oh, and HB, not that I have any experience with clod weather camping per se, but i'm thinking the heavier weight for it's ability to keep you warm, and lowering your pack volume by reducing items taken....but this is just a guess, and first thought.
pack volume will be the same, as the 15deg bag is kinda bulky.

rocketsocks
08-11-2013, 11:33
pack volume will be the same, as the 15deg bag is kinda bulky.

ah...thee ole stuff size

Big Agnes 'Ranger'................................8" x 17 1/2"

Western Mountaineering 'Highlite'.......6" x 12"

but then your not bringing the down 'moon' pants, and big puffy jacket, No?

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 11:35
ah...thee ole stuff size

Big Agnes 'Ranger'................................8" x 17 1/2"

Western Mountaineering 'Highlite'.......6" x 12"

but then your not bringing the down 'moon' pants, and big puffy jacket, No?the pants and jkt pack down to the size of a football. the pants may be overkill, too.

Rasty
08-11-2013, 11:38
Lighter bag with the down garments would be my choice. Your not forced to get in your bag if its cold in camp.

rocketsocks
08-11-2013, 11:42
the pants and jkt pack down to the size of a football. the pants may be overkill, too.

Lighter bag with the down garments would be my choice. Your not forced to get in your bag if its cold in camp.
Yep, layering up is what I like (style) but again ...zero experience w/cold weather camping here, I guess you do what I've read here (WB) put everything you own on and get in your bag if it gets real cold, and if that doesn't get it....you start your day early, and get to steppin.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 12:00
]Are you a hot hiker? [/B] Temp wise, I know you're a handsome devil. Planning on moving all day, or lounging around a bit? Will you stay up high as mentioned? If you're warm during the day and not hanging around camp- you'd be better served with the heavier bag and fewer clothes- that way if you choose to stay up high you don't have to risk the shivers. If you anticipate a more mixed day- then the extra clothes and cooler bag would be the trick. Typically for me- when I'm not going sun-up to sun-down- I prefer the versatility of a cooler bag and more layering options, especially in North country where I tend to get trapped into sitting for an hour or two gazing at the view or lounging around "that perfect camp" that tends to show up with alarming frequency up there.

Sorry JB...back to what you were sayin... :D I'm not sure which one of you has me blushing

Just Bill
08-11-2013, 12:10
I'm not sure which one of you has me blushing
Blame Rocketsocks, he started carrying a paint set, he probably painted it on you.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 12:11
Blame Rocketsocks, he started carrying a paint set, he probably painted it on you.
darn pink blazers

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 12:11
im not sure about the looks. but people have said "he has a nice personality."

rocketsocks
08-11-2013, 12:41
oh I've been known to do some pink blazing

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 13:04

Do you...

or

With the exception of Mahoosuc Notch the temperatures get warmer in the valleys of Maine. If it is getting cold and you are able, the next shelter or stealth camp by a stream at low elevation is seldom that far away.

I believe in having duel purpose items. Your clothes should be part of your sleep system (including rain jacket and pack liner in extreme situations). This will extend the rating of your bag.

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 13:08

Yes it does, but in Maine the trail meanders to take in as many peaks as possible. It gets confusing real quick when you think you should be traveling southwest and the sun tells you you are traveling east or northwest. Sorry, I could not help myself. I get your joke, but that not always helpful in Maine.

rocketsocks
08-11-2013, 13:11
With the exception of Mahoosuc Notch the temperatures get warmer in the valleys of Maine. If it is getting cold and you are able, the next shelter or stealth camp by a stream at low elevation is seldom that far away.

I believe in having duel purpose items. Your clothes should be part of your sleep system (including rain jacket and pack liner in extreme situations). This will extend the rating of your bag.alrighty then, bail for the warmer valleys it is.

rocketsocks
08-11-2013, 13:13
just to throw something else into the mix

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20100223/inflatable-sleeping-coat-raincoat-sleeping-bag-mattress/ (http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20100223/inflatable-sleeping-coat-raincoat-sleeping-bag-mattress/)

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 16:05
just to throw something else into the mix

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20100223/inflatable-sleeping-coat-raincoat-sleeping-bag-mattress/ (http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20100223/inflatable-sleeping-coat-raincoat-sleeping-bag-mattress/)that would go nicely with my oven mitts.

mainebob
08-11-2013, 19:59
Hikerboy, I go not get out my 15 deg bag until mid Oct. I am a warm sleeper. Late Sept thru Oct is my favorite time of year to hike up here. You just have to make sure you have some orange on in Oct. kaboose

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 20:05
Hikerboy, I go not get out my 15 deg bag until mid Oct. I am a warm sleeper. Late Sept thru Oct is my favorite time of year to hike up here. You just have to make sure you have some orange on in Oct. kaboose
thanks kaboose, and welcome home. yeah im only gonna be able to do a week, so i should be fine with the 30 mid september. i think i'll skip the down pants,just bring the jacket.i dont expect to be camping high,except maybe avery

Kerosene
08-11-2013, 20:47
I hiked the Pinkham Notch to Rangeley section in mid-September last year. I tend to hike all day with minimal time in camp. I was glad to have my 20* WM UltraLite, especially when I was tarping on a windy evening at Gentian Pond. I'm pretty sure that I would've been cold in my 35* WM HighLite. Remember that many of these mummy sleeping bags provide warmth with little extra room; I've found that wearing more than a base layer to bed actually reduces loft and I get colder. Layering something over your bag can help retain heat, but too much will also reduce loft (and the layer has to stay on all night to avoid cold spots!).

I was fine with long underwear, a 100-weight fleece, light pants, wind shell -- I added my rain pants while in camp on the windy night. I forgot my gloves that trip, so my hands got a bit cold at times and I scuffed them up pretty good through Mahoosuc Notch.

Man, I really want to do the Rangeley-Monson section this Fall, but I'm taking my vacation time to visit Banff with my new girlfriend. I've got her training to climb Katahdin with me, now slated for Sept. 2015.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 20:54
I hiked the Pinkham Notch to Rangeley section in mid-September last year. I tend to hike all day with minimal time in camp. I was glad to have my 20* WM UltraLite, especially when I was tarping on a windy evening at Gentian Pond. I'm pretty sure that I would've been cold in my 35* WM HighLite. Remember that many of these mummy sleeping bags provide warmth with little extra room; I've found that wearing more than a base layer to bed actually reduces loft and I get colder. Layering something over your bag can help retain heat, but too much will also reduce loft (and the layer has to stay on all night to avoid cold spots!).

I was fine with long underwear, a 100-weight fleece, light pants, wind shell -- I added my rain pants while in camp on the windy night. I forgot my gloves that trip, so my hands got a bit cold at times and I scuffed them up pretty good through Mahoosuc Notch.

Man, I really want to do the Rangeley-Monson section this Fall, but I'm taking my vacation time to visit Banff with my new girlfriend. I've got her training to climb Katahdin with me, now slated for Sept. 2015.
well i still have a coupla weeks to figure it out, get the forecast before i leave,if it appears its going to be abnormally cold, i'll opt for the a warmer bag. i remember being a bit chilled(but not cold) in my 30 deg bag in mid august several years ago at gentian pond.
youre also right about mummy style bags not allowing you to layer much, i found that out this march in ga.had to switch out for the warmer bag.i may just bring microfleece tights instead of the long johns.

Rasty
08-11-2013, 21:05
One thing to think about is that layering down pants, jacket and booties works really well with a quilt. Probably doesn't work as well with a mummy sleeping bag.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 21:08
One thing to think about is that layering down pants, jacket and booties works really well with a quilt. Probably doesn't work as well with a mummy sleeping bag.
hey, thanks again. ive got $1000 worth of bags and i really need to spend more money on a quilt

Slo-go'en
08-11-2013, 21:12
Well, since it's only 6 days, you'd be pretty safe guessing the weather just before you leave and pack accordingly.

Rasty
08-11-2013, 21:13
hey, thanks again. ive got $1000 worth of bags and i really need to spend more money on a quilt

Not my fault that your doing it wrong!

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 21:16

I can help you with that problem. I have room to store them here.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 21:18
Not my fault that your doing it wrong!
the doing it right thing is just too much pressure.its also highly overrated. how can i learn when i know it all?
apparently it doesnt matter outdoors or in a university-an education can be costly.