PDA

View Full Version : Moderate ~8 mile stretch of the Georgia AT?

ATL Backpacker
08-11-2013, 09:45
Am looking to take the kids on a 1 or 2 night trip on the AT in GA later this month. Have taken them on numerous 1-2 night trips in the GSMNP and Cohutta. But looking for a trip on the AT now. They are 5 and 7 but have done several 5 mile hikes with packs.

Is there an ~8 mile (car accessible) stretch that isn't too bad with elevation change? Was hoping to find a place where we could spend the first night near the car, backpack ~4 miles, camp, then return ~4 miles to the car.

Springer Mountain/BMT Loop looks nice but was hoping for something a bit longer. Would also consider a 1-way hike if there's a shuttle option.

Any suggestions?

Malto
08-11-2013, 10:02
Very likely the easiest and coolest section that I can think of of would be to go to Three Forks then hike North. There are several nice camps sites right at three forks and long creek falls is about a mile up the trail. Hawk Mtn shelter is likely about 4 miles but you can go further into the next gap. Watch water, depending on the rainfall there may not be water after long creek falls other than near Hawk Mountain. Not a big deal but something to watch.

Sly
08-11-2013, 10:13
You could go Three Folks to Springer and return. ~4.3 miles. Coming back from Springer would be a breeze. Before you head out, day hike to Long Creek Falls `0.9 mile (n). That would be cool.

Airman
08-11-2013, 10:21
You could hike up to Springer Mtn and then walk back north to hightower Gap. The first five miles is a leisurely descent through a beautiful area. Three Forks has some of the last virgin hemlocks with no diseased trees.

Double Wide
08-11-2013, 10:33
Big Stamp Gap (the Springer parking lot), north to Horse Gap. Moderate (for Georgia) climb coming out of Three Forks, then a little tougher one about a half mile past Hawk Mountain, up out of Hightower Gap. You can easily park at Horse Gap and have a shuttle take you up to Springer. That's may be a little further than you want to go, but you can easily park at Hightower Gap also and shuttle back to Springer. I think then it's right around eight miles. You can add more by heading up to Springer first and seeing what all the fuss is about.

BTW, Three Forks is about the sweetest campsite I've ever walked by. If I lived closer, I'd totally car camp there when I couldn't go backpacking. I stayed at Stover Creek Shelter the first night out and was kicking myself for not going on ahead and staying at Three Forks.

ATL Backpacker
08-11-2013, 11:21
Completely forgot about Three Forks. Been up there a couple of times, but only hiked the 1 mile to Long Branch Falls. So from 3F, any preference on hiking south to Springer or North toward Hawk Mtn? What are the campsite options at both spots? We'd likely arrive either spot with lots of daylight left so a nice setting would be great.

Sly
08-11-2013, 11:37
Completely forgot about Three Forks. Been up there a couple of times, but only hiked the 1 mile to Long Branch Falls. So from 3F, any preference on hiking south to Springer or North toward Hawk Mtn? What are the campsite options at both spots? We'd likely arrive either spot with lots of daylight left so a nice setting would be great.

I'm not sure if they allow camping on top of the mountain (there's certainly room) but the shelter with tent areas is only .2 mi south of the summit. You'll have views from Springer, none from Hawk Mnt that I recall. It's only 3.8 miles from 3F to HM.

The climb from Three Folks to Springer is mild (1250' over 4.3 miles), and as I said the return trip should be a breeze, leaving some time to explore.

Double Wide
08-11-2013, 11:48
There are lots of great places to camp at Three Forks and north of there for the first half mile or so. Once it starts to climb, not so much. The tenting at Hawk Mountain is excellent--LOTS of room. And a good water source a couple hundred yards behind the shelter. Heading north from Hawk Mtn, there isn't much until you get to the top of Hightower Gap. No water up there, but excellent flat spots just off the trail.

SOBO from Three Forks you can stealth, but there isn't really a need to--there are plenty of good spots at Stover Creek.

max patch
08-11-2013, 12:03
I think the idea to park at 3 Forks and go to either Springer or Hawk Mtn is exactly what you are looking for.

And while there are excellent camping spots at 3 Forks, I'd suggest actually stopping a mile or two short of there and car camp that first nite on one of sites that you pass on the FS rd that are directly on Noontootla Creek. You'll see them from the car.

Kerosene
08-11-2013, 19:26
The AT north of Hogpen Gap follows an old railroad grade that makes for very easy walking (read almost flat) almost all the way to Blue Mountain Shelter.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2013, 19:41
The only caveat I would say about the three forks area plan, is you wont encounter any views if that is desired.

The campsites N of there are really nice along the creek.

AllenIsbell
08-11-2013, 19:58
Three Forks is awesome. The waterfall at Long Creek Falls is AMAZING. Definitely worth checking out.

Malto
08-11-2013, 20:21
I think the idea to park at 3 Forks and go to either Springer or Hawk Mtn is exactly what you are looking for.

And while there are excellent camping spots at 3 Forks, I'd suggest actually stopping a mile or two short of there and car camp that first nite on one of sites that you pass on the FS rd that are directly on Noontootla Creek. You'll see them from the car.

SHhhhhhh. Those are my private campsites. Well they were before I moved north. The campsites the Mr Patch is referring too are north of three forks. You may or may not pass them depending on your route in.

No Directions
08-11-2013, 20:28
I camped at Wolf Laurel Top this spring and thoroughly enjoyed the views. The campsite is nice and grassy and the views are spectacular. From Tesnatee Gap it's only 2.4 miles.

slbirdnerd
08-11-2013, 20:35
I had my 10 year old down there in June, from Springer to just N of Sassafras Mountain. Anywhere south of Sassafras would be great, Sassafras was a tough climb. Stover Creek shelter area was very nice and Three Forks beautiful. Lots of shuttlers in the area: you can park at Springer, hike Springer to Stover Creek (camp/shelter), then Stover Creek to Three Forks (camp). Or, park at Springer USFS 42, hike .9 to Springer, backtrack 3 to Stover Creek, sleep, backtrack to the car. Also, there was a grandma there with her 8 or 9 year old just before we went. It's a neat area. We saw a bear between the parking lot and Stover Creek shelter, running away of course, but very cool.

Trebor66
08-11-2013, 20:54
All of the sections are very doable for the kids. I've been taking my son on overnights in these areas since he was 5 and never had much problem with the elevation gains being too much for him. Kudos to you for taking your kids backpacking!!

Double Wide
08-11-2013, 23:36
Having re-read the original post, and without consulting my AWOL book, I think your best 4-mile-out and 4-mile-back would be to park at Hightower Gap, go south towards Hawk Mountain (a good break place after walking maybe a half hour at most, then keep going to Three Forks. Camp there, then turn around and go back the next day. Only one moderately steep climb if you do it that way, and honestly, Three Forks is gonna be the best place to camp along that stretch of trail.

joshuasdad
08-12-2013, 11:37
SOBO Neels Gap to Woody Gap could be a one way option. Sure, the climb up Blood Mountain is difficult, but the descent is easy, without any really difficult PUDs. There are numerous camping options, but you need a bear canister for some (I believe).

ATL Backpacker
08-12-2013, 11:41
SOBO Neels Gap to Woody Gap could be a one way option. Sure, the climb up Blood Mountain is difficult, but the descent is easy, without any really difficult PUDs. There are numerous camping options, but you need a bear canister for some (I believe).

Well I've begun to take a harder look at 1 way options. I prefer not to backtrack when I can avoid it. Springer to Hightower seems like a nice stretch. Woody to Neels also. Just not sure the 5 year old could make the climb up Blood Mtn.

Snicklefritz
08-12-2013, 11:57
Cooper Gap to Woody Gap is a very easy section in my opinion. About 8.8 miles. You would skip Sassafras Mtn if you started at Cooper, too. Park at Woody Gap (GA Hwy 60, paved road, good parking) and plenty of shuttles available to take you back to Cooper Gap. The FS road there is usually in very good shape. Gooch Mtn shelter area would be just under 4 miles in. More camping at Gooch Gap. I believe there is also a big campsite at Cooper, if you wanted to spend the first night there. Only thing is that I don't think there were many good water sources between Gooch Gap and Woody Gap (I walked it a couple weeks ago), so have plenty of water before you leave camp.

upstream
08-12-2013, 14:05
Park at Lake Winfield Scott, hike up Jarrard Gap Trail to the AT, N to woods hole shelter, camp there. 2nd day, hike up blood mountain, from the south it's easier, and you're already halfway up, Best views on the trail in GA. Then hike down slaughter creek trail and camp at Lake Winfield Scott. If it's still summer you can play in the lake that last day.

Edro
08-12-2013, 16:16
I was Told That Fishing was great at Three Forks.. I hope to find out come Mid September.

max patch
08-12-2013, 16:21
Its a beautiful place to fish but I've never caught anything there. Noontootla has specific regulations, you'll need a fishing license with trout stamp, artificial only, and a minimum keeper size (14 or 16 inches?). Native only, not stocked. My information is at least 15 years old.

max patch
08-12-2013, 16:24
Park at Lake Winfield Scott, hike up Jarrard Gap Trail to the AT, N to woods hole shelter, camp there. 2nd day, hike up blood mountain, from the south it's easier, and you're already halfway up, Best views on the trail in GA. Then hike down slaughter creek trail and camp at Lake Winfield Scott. If it's still summer you can play in the lake that last day.

Except for the side trip to the summit of Blood, and the camping, that is my favorite day hike in GA with the kids. The swim at the end of a hot summer day is perfect.