PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Wisdom: From Harper's Ferry should I travel North or South? Recommendations

ALW
08-11-2013, 14:31
Hello all!

I am planning a 3-4 day venture along the trail. Scheduling worked out and now I am free for a few days. I have friends willing to meet me in Harper's Ferry for day hikes and to give me a ride back to the city. I have another friend willing to take me out to the trail. I was planning on hiking South from Pen Mar, PA to Harper's Ferry, WV.

What do you recommend?
If Harpers Ferry is my final destination, should I start North and work my way south to HF? Or should I begin south of HF and travel north?
What section of the trail did you all find most stunning and isolating?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I will continue reading materials to make an informed decision, but it seemed silly not to ask around and learn from your experiences.

Much appreciated!
Travel well,
Josh

Symba
08-11-2013, 14:36
Hey Josh. I enjoyed Harper's Ferry a lot and if I had your choices I'd end the hike there. Get an AT Data book and look it over. It is very cheap thru the ATC (helps support the trail) or Amazon. Something like six bucks or so. Have fun!!!!

ALW
08-11-2013, 15:26
Harper's ferry will definitely be my end point either way. Just not sure if I should start north and hike to HF or start south an walk to HF.

Ezra
08-11-2013, 15:37
North to south you could knock out the entire Md section.

South to north- Manassas Gap to Harper's Ferry is a nice section, about 43 miles or so.

All depends on what you want to see!

tiptoe
08-11-2013, 16:37
There's more variety in Maryland, I think. Some nice views, historical sites, etc.

rsjrny
08-11-2013, 16:45
I recommend the Maryland section. 2 years ago I hiked from Penn Mar Pa south to Harper's Ferry (The MD Section), I am so glad I did. There are many thing to see; Black Rock Cliffs, Washington Monument, Annapolis Rocks, and Weaverton Cliffs.

Have a look at this: http://www.hikingupward.com/OMH/MarylandChallenge/

I parked in Harper's Ferry at Laurel's place (Tea Horse Hostel), she shuttled me North to Penn Mar and I hiked back to Tea Horse Hostel. It is worth checking into!!!!!