PDA

View Full Version : trail at Sam's Gap ?

mjsummit
08-04-2005, 04:09
Can someone please advise about directions to the trail heading North from Sam's Gap since the new Hwy 26 is in place ??
Also, is the trail at Spivey Gap easy to find heading east on 19 from Erwin,TN.
And finally how does parking at spivey gap for 3 days sound?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Baby Blue
08-04-2005, 04:31
Can someone please advise about directions to the trail heading North from Sam's Gap since the new Hwy 26 is in place ??
Also, is the trail at Spivey Gap easy to find heading east on 19 from Erwin,TN.
And finally how does parking at spivey gap for 3 days sound?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
The Sams Gap area is accessible from 19/23 along side Hwy 26. There is a parking area there and the trail is right across the road from it.

Spivey Gap is up a windy mtn road. Its kind of isolated and there is sporadic traffic. Personally, I wouldn't leave my car there.

With Hwy 26, Erwin is only about 45min from Asheville, maybe someone could drop you off and then come get you later. Or, you might be able to arrange parking & shuttle service from Miss Janet or Uncle Johnny.

SnakebiteSurvivor
08-04-2005, 09:27
There's no direct access to the old road (US 23) from the new interstate hiway at Sam's Gap. You need to go south into North Carolina and take the first exit, then double back about 3 miles on the old road (or, if you're coming from the south on the interstate, take the last NC exit, which is just signed "US 23" with no town). There's a nice parking lot on the left as you're headed north on US 23, and the trail goes right past the parking lot.

Spivey's Gap, on US 19E, is not right at the state line. It's a couple of miles past the state line, on the NC side. If you're coming from the interstate, pass the "Welcome to NC" sign, go a couple miles, and look for a little stairway on the left with a white blaze, and a small pulloff on the right with room for 3 or 4 cars. I'd be a little dubious about leaving a car there for more than a day, though there was a van parked there in the morning, evidently at least overnight, with boy scout stickers, when we did this as a day hike a while back.

Alligator
08-04-2005, 09:47
Miss Janet could shuttle you to Sam's Gap and you may be able park at her place, but check with her. Also, I think she mentioned something about time off in August? She is knowledgeable about safe parking in that area and is a member of WB.

mjsummit
08-04-2005, 15:47
It sounds like maybe it would be better, if I have to leave a car ,to go N to S and leave it at Sam's gap.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks. (in advance)

orangebug
08-04-2005, 15:50
That would be my plan if I felt I had to leave a car. Personally, I'd rather get a shuttle and day pack that section in this warm weather with long days.

mjsummit
08-04-2005, 19:07
I am going to be hiking with my 9 y.o son so we will be taking our time, probably 3 days or so.