PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a GPS device

Gimme Shelter
08-11-2013, 17:51
Hello,First of all let me state that I have NEVER used a handheld GPS and am looking for a user friendly device. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles (I don't think) but just a good standard unit. I have been looking at a etrex 20 mainly due to the price and the reviews are ok. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Maui Rhino
08-11-2013, 18:58
Delorme PN-60. Waterproof, full color maps, easy to use, and it comes with Topo North America which lets you print custom topo maps of your chosen areas. It is easy to create routes on the computer and load them to your GPS, or hike a route and upload it to your computer.

bobp
08-11-2013, 19:21
Don't just look at the GPS. Examine the cost and quality of maps (3rd-party maps make this less important than it used to be), quality and utility of software, etc. If you really get into GPS and electronic mapping, you will find it helpful to customize your own maps, put together your own routes, etc.

I have 3 different generations of eTrex (none of the latest, though), and I have been very happy with them for hiking and cycling (so, both backwoods and road navigation). But, I bought into the whole Garmin system, using their automotive GPS units as well, and interchanging data and maps through their PC software, so I am definitely biased (and effectively trapped).

lilricky
08-17-2013, 12:32
The Garmin Etrex 20 is an excellent choice. Its accuracy and lock on time beats anything that Magellan, Delorme, or Bushnell have hands down(GPS & GLONASS!!!). Its extremely lightweight, only 5 ounces with batteries. Also, like bobp said above, you'll want excellent quality and low cost maps, and with a Garmin unit you can get great TOPO maps for free at www.gpsfiledepot.com (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com). And don't worry about having to swap maps because of limited storage space in the GPS, the Etrex 20 has 1.7 gigabytes of usable space, plus it has a microSD slot to expand it even further. Garmin's software, Basecamp is extremely user friendly, while still having full features for the experts, which is not hard to become. Basecamp allows you to print your maps, upload and download tracks to and from your GPS, plus it even comes with Cloud storage, so you could upload tracks/maps/routes/etc onto the cloud, and retrieve them from any other computer. Garmin updates Basecamp about once a month, while the other companies update their software maybe 3 times a year, if that. So go with your first choice. Garmin, especially the Etrex 20, is the way to go, IMHO.

Maddog
08-17-2013, 14:05
I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and it is an amazingly accurate device. That being said, I no longer carry it hiking , because my phone has taken it's place. Maddog:D

Slo-go'en
08-17-2013, 14:34
I bought a Garmin Dakota 20, which I am not real happy with. First off, the only pre-installed maps were for highways. No small town roads at all. Get off the highway and its blank. Had to buy the topomap package for another $70.

Second, it's too small. Fits in the hand nicely, but the screen is so small you can't see any detail. And it's a real pain to pan around. Pretty much a waste of close to $300.

What I would want is a GPS with the same form factor and screen resolution as a smart phone. I guess they don't make one like that because you'd just go get a smart phone and be able to do everything else with it too. I'm going to get a 7" tablet with GPS and hope I can find some topomaps it can work with.

fredmugs
08-26-2013, 23:19
What's more important is to get GPS tracks completed by others. Once you load those tracks and waypoints all you have to is follow the blue line.

Wise Old Owl
08-26-2013, 23:32
Hello,First of all let me state that I have NEVER used a handheld GPS and am looking for a user friendly device. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles (I don't think) but just a good standard unit. I have been looking at a etrex 20 mainly due to the price and the reviews are ok. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Tough call just because you are on a hiking website... doesn't mean a GPS is for your hiking...

What do you want to use it for and why?

Hiking, biking, kayaking, etc...

and if Biking North Lake Drive?

10-K
08-27-2013, 08:11
Garmin Oregon here. I have a few GPS's and this is my goto unit.

I like the touchscreen (works with gloves on, unlike my phone) and the larger screen. Set of AA lithium batteries will last for a few weeks if I'm just using it to get a fix to find myself on a map.

Rift Zone
08-27-2013, 12:10
I use my iphone complete with a couple of nav apps that enable me to bring onboard maps. Talk about multi-tasking... love that thing

ChuckT
08-27-2013, 12:34
I'm working on my 4th Garmin, a Fortrax 140. It looks simple eough to be a magnetic compass replacement but not much more (and "simple" is good). But, just in general, I've found the Garmins to be dissapointing.

The overall view they give me is too myoptic and the GUI is too rigid. I also looked at that cloud-sourced instrument (the name escapes me) and it has promise. Currently I'm keeping track of the "phablets". If there's one that has the features I want I'd study the battery life and may go in that direction.

Cvt

ChuckT
08-27-2013, 12:54
A "Foretrex 401".

Cvt

RockDoc
08-28-2013, 15:18
I've used GPS since 1997, all around the world including treks in Nepal, Iceland, Alaska, the AT, 45 ultramarathons, and recently for professional geology work in Montana.
Currently I'm using the Garmin 60CSx although it is at this point rather old technology. I used it continuously on the AT and I liked a lot of things about it although battery life was only ~8-10 hrs so I had to change AA cells every day. I also sprung for the TOPOUSA database, which at the time (2007) added about $100 to the price. But you need a detailed topo base, with features like roads, trails, springs, buildings, etc. A pretty photo of shaded hills won't cut it.
Here's my suggestion: Get a newer model from a major brand that has good battery life (but not rechargable batteries). You want to be able to buy batteries anywhere (I give the same advice for digital cameras). Get one with a decent basemap with actual contour lines. Make sure the screen is large enough for you to see easily, and that it zooms in and out and pans easily; you'll be doing a lot of this. Get a robust GPS (not a phone) unit that records things like climb and descent, hundreds of waypoints, and lets you download your tracks to plot on GoogleEarth and other mapping programs.

If you're like me you will run it all day while you hike and it will answer lots of questions for you. But don't depend entirely on a digital gadget; I carry a full set of paper maps, too because believe me the GPS will be unable to obtain signal at those times when you really need it, and you don't want to be out there lost with nothing to go by...you have been warned.:eek:

RockDoc
08-28-2013, 15:27
I might add that very accurate AT tracks and all shelter point locations are available online. Get only a GPS that will accept and display these data. They are incredibly useful for hiking the AT, if you are at all curious about tracking your progress, measuring elevation changes, etc.
It was impressive to look at the GPS at the end of the day and see the total amount of climb, often more than a mile vertical.

Theosus
09-04-2013, 13:20
second for the delorme pn-60. I had a magellan sportrak map, but it finally gave up the ghost after 10 years. The only problem with the pn-60 is the topo north america software. it took a steep learning curve for me, but I was used to the very simple (and not very functional) magellan software. But, and here's the important thing. The Delorme software COMES WITH 1:24000 topo maps of the whole country. a lot of gps companies charge you plenty for those maps.

If you find GPX tracks online from other people, you can drag and drop them right into the delorme software, save the track and follow the line through the woods. I have a place I like to go that is full of trails, and after three trips I've just about mapped the whole thing.
My only complaint about it is the screen size. With screens on most phones and car GPSes being three inches or larger, most handheld GPS screens just seem kind of small. Of course, that's probably how they get 20 hours out of a set of batteries too... just try getting that out of a cell phone on GPS mode!

lilricky
09-17-2013, 00:02
So Shelter, which GPS did you go with?

ChuckT
09-23-2013, 11:56
If you're looking a Garmin GPS unit this web site, I stumbled on it yesterday, may be of some use to anyone looking to buy a GPS. WWW.Tramsoft/index_en.html (http://WWW.Tramsoft./index_en.html)

I have no connection with it nor with Garmin.

CVT

ChuckT
10-25-2013, 14:20
I am looking now at a new Smart Phone - the Galaxy Note III and a GPS App.

Most smart phones have a camera, and a time/date display and of course there is the communication use, actually using them to call home (what a concept) but I need to consider the cell coverage. Which one, if any, would be better?

cvt

fredmugs
10-28-2013, 08:45
I am looking now at a new Smart Phone - the Galaxy Note III and a GPS App.

Most smart phones have a camera, and a time/date display and of course there is the communication use, actually using them to call home (what a concept) but I need to consider the cell coverage. Which one, if any, would be better?

cvt

If you mean carrier Verizon seems to have the best coverage over the length of the trail.

ChuckT
10-28-2013, 15:20
If you mean carrier Verizon seems to have the best coverage over the length of the trail.

Yes, thanks. We have AT&T might have to re-think that.

Cvt

jefals
10-28-2013, 20:31
I'm interested in this too. Tried hiking a trail for the 2nd time yesterday, and I still think I took a 'wrong turn' somewhere. I'm having a hard time finding anyone familiar with this trail to discuss my route with, so reluctantly thinking about getting one of these devices, since I have found the gpx file for the trail, and currently have in on my laptop.
Question: I'm thinking of one of the garmin units that you wear on your wrist, that can also give me distance and altitude (and time, obviously!). This seems like it would be the most convenient. Another factor I would think would be important would be if it's easy to change the battery out in the trail (I never wear watches, but, when I did, I remember I always had to find a Sears to take it to, to get the battery changed. Kinda hard to find a Sears out on the trail!)...
What do y'all think? Are the "wrist" ones ok, or do you really need a handheld?

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2013, 21:50
08-11-2013 is the last date Gimmie Shelter has been on...

Seriously jefals and others... grab a app before you do the big deed of buying a dedicated gps ... here it is for android!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trimble.outdoors.backpacker.android&hl=en

jefals
10-28-2013, 22:08
08-11-2013 is the last date Gimmie Shelter has been on...

Seriously jefals and others... grab a app before you do the big deed of buying a dedicated gps ... here it is for android!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trimble.outdoors.backpacker.android&hl=en

lol Thanks 4 the advice, Wise Owl, but that won't do me any good right now, cause the only android thing I have is a kindle fire -- and I sure ain't takin that along! I don't have a smart-phone or blackberry or anything like that...So, I do need to buy some kinda gizmo. But I agree, I wouldn't buy something that was just a gps -- also want it to give me altitude, temperature, time, distance traveled. This is not, btw, just for the AT, where I know I probably don't need it -- but other trails as well....., and hopefully one that I can wear on my wrist would work, so as to keep my hands free...

juma
12-03-2013, 20:20
I bought a Garmin Dakota 20, which I am not real happy with. First off, the only pre-installed maps were for highways. No small town roads at all. Get off the highway and its blank. Had to buy the topomap package for another $70.

Second, it's too small. Fits in the hand nicely, but the screen is so small you can't see any detail. And it's a real pain to pan around. Pretty much a waste of close to $300.

What I would want is a GPS with the same form factor and screen resolution as a smart phone. I guess they don't make one like that because you'd just go get a smart phone and be able to do everything else with it too. I'm going to get a 7" tablet with GPS and hope I can find some topomaps it can work with.

thats what I'm think too - the galaxy note 3 is a 6 inch phablet and the camera is good enough to take pics of maps and store on the device.

johngo
12-12-2016, 00:51
I have been using Garmin GPS is for over 10 years. I know exclusively use Gaia GPS on my iPhone 6.
I find it superior to the standalone GPS units in several ways - much higher resolution screen, much better map options available, superior user interface. Downsides are durability and battery life, which are easily solved by getting a quality waterproof case and carrying a small auxiliary battery and charging cable, and using the phone in airplane mode and turning the screen off when I don't need it.

Standalone GPS units will be pretty much dinosaurs in a few years, along with a lot of the other electronic gizmos (MP3 players, video recorders, voice dictation devices, etc.) that have all been replaced by apps for your smart phone.

And, if you still want to buy a GPS, I will happily sell you my last Garmin for cheap.

Bottom line: if you are a GPS power user, as in using it in cold or rainy weather, and continuously recording your track all day long for days on end, then you probably want to get a dedicated unit. But for anyone else, a $20 smart phone app will give you much of the same functionality has a $300 GPS, and beats the pants off and a lot of significant ways.