PDA

View Full Version : DSLR camera on a Thru-Hike

Wildflower_90
08-11-2013, 18:11
I dabble in photography on the side and I'm curious if anyone has any experiences with taking DSLR's long distance hiking.I think there are probably amazing opportunities for really great shots but I'm kinda hesitant about taking my camera. Any opinions?

BigEnso
08-11-2013, 18:21
I love my DSLRs but there is no way I would take mine on a long distance hike. It is too heavy and cumbersome. For my upcoming AT thru hike, I am getting one of the new Sony RX100 II point and shoots. It has great image quality, is pocketable, and has enough manual functions that I would be able to get good shots. There are some other very good, pocketable cameras that would also work. Would you want to strip all the excess weight you could from your pack just to add it back in with a DSLR?

David

Carry-On
08-11-2013, 18:31
I carried my Nikon D5100 the entire 2184.2 miles last year. I am thrilled with the picture quality, especially since the camera on my phone stopped working in TN. However, for my next long hike I will downsize to something with manual functions, ability to take RAW files, that is also water proof or resistant and smaller. I would have done that during my AT hike except I didn't have the money.

Squirrel at Mountain Crossings told me he only knew of one person who had made it the whole way with a full sized DSLR. I guess I am the second. As it was, my camera was "my precious" and it was worth the nearly five extra pounds that put me at a pack weight of 38-42 lbs only because I didn't have a high enough quality alternative.

Also, I really wish I would have taken more pictures of the wild weather, but I didn't even take my Katahdin picture on my camera, because it was too wet and I wouldn't risk the camera. Waterproof/resistant is the way to go.

HikerMom58
08-11-2013, 18:52
I carried my Nikon D5100 the entire 2184.2 miles last year. I am thrilled with the picture quality, especially since the camera on my phone stopped working in TN. However, for my next long hike I will downsize to something with manual functions, ability to take RAW files, that is also water proof or resistant and smaller. I would have done that during my AT hike except I didn't have the money.

Squirrel at Mountain Crossings told me he only knew of one person who had made it the whole way with a full sized DSLR. I guess I am the second. As it was, my camera was "my precious" and it was worth the nearly five extra pounds that put me at a pack weight of 38-42 lbs only because I didn't have a high enough quality alternative.

Also, I really wish I would have taken more pictures of the wild weather, but I didn't even take my Katahdin picture on my camera, because it was too wet and I wouldn't risk the camera. Waterproof/resistant is the way to go.

Yeah girl... you took amazing pics with your camera. Eagle Eye thought you were a lil crazy for carrying that weight but hey.. sounds like you have figured out a good camera for your next hike. :) "my precious" ... CUTE! ;)

bobp
08-11-2013, 19:03
However, for my next long hike I will downsize to something with manual functions, ability to take RAW files, that is also water proof or resistant and smaller. Waterproof/resistant is the way to go.

If you would consider any of the Canons with the DIGIC chips, there is free 3rd-party firmware that gives the cameras some impressive features, including RAW, more manual control, automatic exposure bracketing, ability to stitch bracketed photos together, etc. The firmware is CHDK (google it). It works on a wide range of Canons (I have had good luck on the cheap SureShot point-and-shoots). I don't know the Canon line well enough to know if there are any waterproof cameras that are CHDK-compatible.

Nooga
08-11-2013, 20:08
I struggled this this issue last year and finally decided on a Lumix waterproof camera. I got great photos and never once worried about the camera. Sure there were times I wished that I had a DSLR, but if I were to thru hike again, I would carry a small waterproof camera. A good compromise would be an Olympus Pen. TP carried one last year (I last saw him in NH and think he finished).

putts
08-11-2013, 22:08
A guy thru hiked last year with a Canon 7D. Started with 3 lenses, but sent 2 home. He also carried a GoPro for good measure.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2013, 22:53
If you want to talk to a knowledgeable person on SLR ya need to talk or PM to GOODY. He is all the way!

Theosus
08-12-2013, 12:32
I have the canon a620. It's not a dslr but I used the CHDK firmware. I didn't like it much. The firmware goes on the cards, not on the camera, so unless you carry enough cards, you can't just replace them enroute. On mine it saved them as digital negative, not canon raw, so I could manipulate them in photoshop but not in canon digital pro. The a620 is an older one though, although it has a lot of functions for a point/shoot. It has a full manual selection, but it runs off of 4AAs which it eats. I usually just take my wife's Nikon coolpix 3100, but it's very dumbed down.
i have a canon t1i SLR, but I've never taken it hiking. It's a little bulky, heavy and expensive. Protecting it from damage would make it harder to pull out and use. My nikon hangs from a shoulder strap in a neoprene case, and is protected from water and bumps. I will say that I would take the slr's kit lens (18-55mm) over my nicer (28-135mm) lens. The kit lens is half the weight and a lot smaller.

I would like to have a hiking camera that would shoot raw... I don't necessarily need to change lenses. Having a point and shoot size raw-capable hiking camera would be perfect.

Gray Blazer
08-12-2013, 12:38
http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.E224696.html?item=E224696&ref=GAS&tpl=detail&cm_ven=GOOGLESHOPPINGFEED&cm_cat=Electronics&cm_pla=Cameras&cm_ite=E224696-172-000&CAWELAID=600006460000158033&cagpspn=pla

Not an SLR but a dam good camera.

BirdBrain
08-12-2013, 14:31
Took my Canon xsi across Maine. Glad I did. Worth the hassle.

bigcranky
08-12-2013, 21:22
http://benbenvieblog.com/2010/09/tell-my-mom-not-to-worry-maine/

Miner
08-12-2013, 23:07
I hiked for years with a film SLR hanging off my neck as I backpacked. One of the reasons I got my baseweight to under 10lbs is so I could carry the stuff I wanted to like a good camcorder or camera for a thru-hike. I carried a camcorder on the PCT and a mini DSLR like camera on the AT. I met a guy on the AT last summer who had a heavy DSLR for the entire hike and never seemed to regret having it. It certainly was well worth having one for the northern part of the trail as there are some really nice views. When it rains, keep it zip-locked in a gallon bag (or better yet, doubled ziplocked and it will not get weight). I modify a just fits camera case to hang on my shoulder strap so that I have quick access to it. Having it in your pack means you'll never use it. The guy with the heavy DSLR I mentioned, just hiked with it hanging off his neck and shoulders unless it rained and then he put it in his pack.

If you don't want to take a large DSLR because of the weight or the cost, you may consider Canon's new small size SL1 DSLR which is cheap compared to the higher end models. Or one of the mirrorless cameras with exchangeable lenses (essentially DSLR's without the optic sights which save weight and size) such as the Micro 4/3 cameras by Olympus and Panasonic whose lenses are exchangable or Sony's NEX lineup which can give DSLR like quality in a smaller size and weight. I found the wider angle lenses are what you end up using most of the time so forget the big zoom lenses at home and just bring one or two lenses at the most.

Venchka
08-13-2013, 14:02
OK. I'll bite. How do y'all manage battery life on the trail? Single or multiple batteries? Solar or shore power charging?
One upon a time, in a Galaxy far far away, I backpacked with a Pentax 6x7, 105mm lens, Weston Master V meter and a bushel of Plus-X. Why? It was the only camera that I owned. I still cherish those negatives today.
From an area in Colorado that eventually became part of the Holy Cross Wilderness. Circa 1975.

Close up with elevation:

Please explain the care and powering of a digital camera on the trail. Otherwise, I'll have to take The Beast backpacking again.

Wayne
Life can not be properly rendered with zeros & ones.

BigEnso
08-13-2013, 14:39
http://benbenvieblog.com/2010/09/tell-my-mom-not-to-worry-maine/

Some great pictures but nowhere did I find any mention of what camera he carried on the hike. Did I just miss it?

David

BigEnso
08-13-2013, 14:57
OK. I'll bite. How do y'all manage battery life on the trail? Single or multiple batteries? Solar or shore power charging?
One upon a time, in a Galaxy far far away, I backpacked with a Pentax 6x7, 105mm lens, Weston Master V meter and a bushel of Plus-X. Why? It was the only camera that I owned. I still cherish those negatives today.
From an area in Colorado that eventually became part of the Holy Cross Wilderness. Circa 1975.

Close up with elevation:

Please explain the care and powering of a digital camera on the trail. Otherwise, I'll have to take The Beast backpacking again.

Wayne

Venchka,

I've never had a camera, digital or otherwise, that was a rugged and durable as my old Nikon F2. As for the new digitals, they can be fragile, especially when it comes to any kind of moisture. When I am out on dive boats, for instance, I keep my dive camera in a 1-gallon Ziplock bag with silica packets in it. On my thru hike, I will be keeping my Sony RX100 II, in a smaller Ziplock bag (or something more sturdy if I find something I like) also with packets of silica.

As for battery live, I will be carrying 4 batteries. They are small and light. The manufacture rates them at about 350 shots per charge. I discount that by about 150 shots and don't count on more than 200 per charge. So, that gives me roughly 800 shots between needing all the batteries recharged. One of the benefits of having been a film shooter (the first camera I used was a Speed Graphic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Graphic)) is that is don't machine gun (or as the current phrase goes "spray and pray") my shots so 800 should have no problem lasting 7-10 days on the trail without a recharge. You might find this blog post interesting as far as using digital in the wild. http://billhatcher.typepad.com/bill_hatcher_photography/sony-rx100/

David

Venchka
08-13-2013, 15:28
Thanks David! I have too many 4x5 cameras: Speed Graphic, Linhof Technika V and a Zone VI made in Rutland, Vermont.
Shucks, 800 exposures might last me an entire thru-hike. While I would love to carry a Micro 4/3s or Sony NEX with the 35mm equivalent of 24mm to 70mm or 105mm lens on the trial, a waterproof, digital P&S might be more in line with my budget.
On the other hand, I could do some major photo gear selling and buy the next NEX. Pondering.

Wayne

Venchka
08-13-2013, 16:28
Olympus O-MD + 12-50 (24-100 in 35mm speak) lens + battery = 23 ounces. Leave the TarpTent Notch at home! Grinning. Both camera and lens have a modicum of moisture and dust resistance. Not waterproof, but better than no weather sealing at all.

Wayne

BigEnso
08-13-2013, 16:56
Olympus O-MD + 12-50 (24-100 in 35mm speak) lens + battery = 23 ounces. Leave the TarpTent Notch at home! Grinning. Both camera and lens have a modicum of moisture and dust resistance. Not waterproof, but better than no weather sealing at all.

Wayne
That could be a very good choice. Got good reviews in DOReview. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/

David

Venchka
08-13-2013, 17:03
David,
Add in camera stabilization-leave the tripod at home. I have access to an O-MD for some in-depth testing. I need to sell some duplicate lenses.

Wayne

bigcranky
08-13-2013, 21:42
Some great pictures but nowhere did I find any mention of what camera he carried on the hike. Did I just miss it?

David

If I recall correctly, he had a Canon 5D Mark II and a Canon 35mm f/1.4 lens.

bigcranky
08-13-2013, 21:45
While I would love to carry a Micro 4/3s or Sony NEX with the 35mm equivalent of 24mm to 70mm or 105mm lens on the trial, a waterproof, digital P&S might be more in line with my budget.

Olympus EM5 with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 stabilized lens (24-70 equivalent.) Good image quality, excellent lens, and weatherproof (whatever that means.) Yeah, it's an expensive combo. We own the lens and it's pretty sweet.

The waterproof p+s cameras are pretty cool, too.

Fur Queue
08-13-2013, 21:55

Close up with elevation:

Wayne

Wow!!..that was a beast of a camera...holding one felt like you had shrunk...or that it had been made to the wrong dimensions...I cant imagine hiking with one, it would be like carrying a couple of cinder blocks...for me I had to decide wether I was hiking or on a photographic adventure...and if the latter is the case you might as well go all Ansell and take a 10x8...just me...I am full of respect! :)

Venchka
08-13-2013, 22:38
Thanks. I'm hanging onto my Terraplane in the hope of getting a 4x5 camera more than a day past a trailhead.

Wayne

Miner
08-13-2013, 23:04
OK. I'll bite. How do y'all manage battery life on the trail? Single or multiple batteries? Solar or shore power charging?....
Depends on the trail. If its a trail with plenty of town stops, I bounce my charger ahead 1.5 to 2 weeks (depending on where I won't arrive on the weekend) and charge it up in town when I get a room at a hostel or hotel. Though some resturants have been nice to allow hikers to charge their stuff while they ate. I only carry a spare battery if thats lighter then the charger and I'll need it before I can access the charger. If you are only taking photos, a 32GB or 64GB will last a very long time on the trail and you can always carry a second one. If you are taking a lot of HD video footage which each up your memory, send a memory card home or to a friend occasionally while you use the second one and have them copy your footage off and mail it back to you. For a trail like the CDT with few trail towns, I just carry the battery charger with me and use it when I can. May still carry a spare battery. Depends on experience with how long I can go on a single battery.