PDA

View Full Version : The trail is too......

Malto
08-11-2013, 19:24
I did a short hike this afternoon up to the Pinnacle in PA. As I was tap dancing through the rocks it hit me that often the Trail is:
TOO rocky, TOO cold, TOO, hot, TOO sandy, TOO steep, TOO flat, TOO wet, TOO muddy, TOO rainy, TOO snowy, TOO cloudy, TOO windy. The stream crossings are TOO fast, the shelters TOO dirt, TOO crowded, trail magic TOO often, feet TOO dirty, TOO tired etc.

So, it hit me that I may have found a large part of the mental challenge of a thru hike. People have expectations (however unrealistic) and people compare their experience against those expectations and the TOO games start. But the Trail is exactly the way it is, it is our expectations that are out of wack. What if we accepted the Trail as it is not as we wanted it to be. If the Class of 2014 took an oath to neither think or say TOO would it be a record percentage of completions? Thoughts.

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 19:25
The trail is too far away.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 19:27
that's too difficult.

just kidding you got it right..everyday you just take what the trail gives you nothing more nothing less

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 19:33
I am not a thru, so I may be disqualified to comment: But... Most of the thru's I met were hiking so fast, I am not sure they saw the trail. Some looked pretty pissed too. HYOH and all that, but look around a bit too. Is the goal just to finish? Maybe if I attempted a thru I would understand (no sarcasm meant on the last point. I must be missing something).

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 19:34
I should try to be on point. I thought the trail was perfect. The "real" world is too (fill in the blank). Wish I was still on the trail.

Venchka
08-11-2013, 19:46
Too far away. Too little time.
I would suggest, "Go West"
Very little rain. Very little mud. No shelters to complain about. Very few bugs. Rarely hot after sundown. Uncrowded campsites except near cities on the weekends. Heck, you can camp anywhere you lilke. Except in National Parks. Even they are less crowded than the AT in the spring.
Give Big Bend N.P. a try in the winter. You might be all alone.

Wayne

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 19:47
or you could just stay home.

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 19:48
or you could just stay home.

My wife is there.

Meriadoc
08-11-2013, 19:50
Absolutely on point Malto. People describe that acceptance in different ways and have different methods of reaching that acceptance, but when it comes down to it, everyone is saying to accept the trail for what it is.

The next lesson is accepting all of life as an experience. That's the really hard lesson, but it yields great rewards.

johnnybgood
08-11-2013, 19:57
The trail is too on my mind constantly .

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 19:58
The trail is too peaceful, relaxing, and inviting.

Rasty
08-11-2013, 20:14
The trail is way too far away with only one day off each week.

It also needs the leaves raked more regularly.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2013, 20:25
I am not a thru, so I may be disqualified to comment: But... Most of the thru's I met were hiking so fast, I am not sure they saw the trail. Some looked pretty pissed too. HYOH and all that, but look around a bit too. Is the goal just to finish? Maybe if I attempted a thru I would understand (no sarcasm meant on the last point. I must be missing something).

for most "thrus" it IS about Katahdin and not the journey/experience

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 20:27
the trail just keeps getting in the way.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 20:27
the trail is too close to the kent laundramat

Kerosene
08-11-2013, 20:34
What's interesting is that a lot of what I recall from the AT (and I recall a lot) tends to center around the more difficult stretches, be they physically or mentally difficult or uncomfortable. Even so, I still keep coming back (although not this year for the first time since 2000 and I'm going through withdrawal!!!). Certainly I have the same thoughts while I'm out there. In fact, I rarely think of any deep thoughts, more around what I'm feeling, how far is it to the next "fill in the blank", where will I find water, where are the blazes, is it time for a break, what's that sound, etc. In the end, I'm committed to walking this trail so it really doesn't matter if I have to descent another steep hill or not, because it's not going away. By the time I get back to civilization I start to realize just how much fun it is to be out there for a week or so.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2013, 20:36

i've been there quite a few times. never had a problem. must be the individual hikers that brought on the hatred

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 20:37
i've been there quite a few times. never had a problem. must be the individual hikers that brought on the hatred
not thinking of the hikers, im thinking of the laundramat:eek:

BirdBrain
08-11-2013, 20:43
What's interesting is that a lot of what I recall from the AT (and I recall a lot) tends to center around the more difficult stretches, be they physically or mentally difficult or uncomfortable. Even so, I still keep coming back (although not this year for the first time since 2000 and I'm going through withdrawal!!!). Certainly I have the same thoughts while I'm out there. In fact, I rarely think of any deep thoughts, more around what I'm feeling, how far is it to the next "fill in the blank", where will I find water, where are the blazes, is it time for a break, what's that sound, etc. In the end, I'm committed to walking this trail so it really doesn't matter if I have to descent another steep hill or not, because it's not going away. By the time I get back to civilization I start to realize just how much fun it is to be out there for a week or so.

I polled the thru's as I met them about the difficulty of Maine vs the rest of the trail. The vast majority said Maine is the most difficult, but the most rewarding. I met one thru heading up the Bigelows on a nice day. I told him the view was great. He gave me a pissed off sarcastic "great" back. I don't get the zombie hikers just hiking to finish. I loved the "difficult" Maine section. I took from 7/7 - 8/3 to do it. I just wish I had more time so I could have done it slower. If the hike is just about finishing, I will never thru hike. I met many thru's that were enjoying the trail. Some relished every bit of it. Those people I understand and am jealous of.

johnnybgood
08-11-2013, 20:54

My exact thoughts Kerosene. I try thinking of how I could suspend time for eternity. :-? You really need to come back east to Va. next year.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2013, 22:01
The trail is to ...fleeting

kayak karl
08-11-2013, 22:07
Too scrutinize and analyzed ;)

Monkeywrench
08-11-2013, 22:14
The trail is too long!

Colter
08-11-2013, 22:22

Oh, I've got one, the trail is too lacking in old, grumpy, negative, cynical hikers. They are more common on hiking forums.

Generally speaking, of course. ;)

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2013, 22:27
Uhh TOO o Tooo does that help... like Wooo Whooo

Teacher & Snacktime
08-11-2013, 22:29
too beautiful
too much fun
too full of wonderful moments

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 06:01
Oh, I've got one, the trail is too lacking in old, grumpy, negative, cynical hikers.

can't handle the truth?

Chaco Taco
08-12-2013, 07:09
Too far away. Too little time.
Very little rain. Very little mud. No shelters to complain about. Very few bugs. Rarely hot after sundown. Uncrowded campsites except near cities on the weekends. Heck, you can camp anywhere you lilke. Except in National Parks. Even they are less crowded than the AT in the spring.

Wayne

Cant wait to return to Colorado next summer! Most amazing trails and great camping!

rickb
08-12-2013, 07:11

You get an experience no matter what-- if you are out there.

It doesn't have to be all about watching the stars, listening to the birds and feeling the warm summer sun on your face.

More to the point, it can be something great even if the "truth" is that the destination becomes a driving force.

Only soft people think it needs to be (or should be) some hedonistic romp in fairy land.

Plenty of ways to feel good. I sure we have both found a few that don't entail blisters, and deprivation.

The AT can bring a different kind of bliss-- and point one in a great direction for futures adventures, too.

Chaco Taco
08-12-2013, 07:18
The AT can bring a different kind of bliss-- and point one in a great direction for futures adventures, too.

Agree :sun

Kookork
08-12-2013, 10:17
I did a short hike this afternoon up to the Pinnacle in PA. As I was tap dancing through the rocks it hit me that often the Trail is:
TOO rocky, TOO cold, TOO, hot, TOO sandy, TOO steep, TOO flat, TOO wet, TOO muddy, TOO rainy, TOO snowy, TOO cloudy, TOO windy. The stream crossings are TOO fast, the shelters TOO dirt, TOO crowded, trail magic TOO often, feet TOO dirty, TOO tired etc.

So, it hit me that I may have found a large part of the mental challenge of a thru hike. People have expectations (however unrealistic) and people compare their experience against those expectations and the TOO games start. But the Trail is exactly the way it is, it is our expectations that are out of wack. What if we accepted the Trail as it is not as we wanted it to be. If the Class of 2014 took an oath to neither think or say TOO would it be a record percentage of completions? Thoughts.

Deep point of view you came upon Malto. Expectations and Idealism.

I think the "Embrace" mentality is what we need to have. Embrace whatever trail throws at you at the moment be ugly, bad, good or even excellent. That is your chance. We can hike a trail hating it and just by embrace mentality we can hike and love the same trail . Just Embrace, no expectations.
Why complain and endure when you can Embrace?? Why Hate when you can love?

No expectations means no surprise also. Just Embrace and live the moment to the fullest. It might not be the perfect moment in any sense or shape, but it is our moment.

Nothing miraculous would happen at the end of a long trail . It is now almost all about the journey and not just destination.

garlic08
08-12-2013, 11:47
Life is full of pessimists. I heard much about "too many MUDs and PUDs" before my AT hike. I looked at it from a trail builder's perspective and was amazed at the high quality footpath through some very rugged country. I didn't even want to think about right-of-way issues. I never once thought a hill was mindless or pointless. My congratulations and thanks go out to those involved with building the AT.

lemon b
08-12-2013, 14:18
Just grateful the trail is there !!

BirdBrain
08-12-2013, 14:29
Just grateful the trail is there !!

Amen to that. It is the people not the trail that is lacking. The trail is great.

jeffmeh
08-12-2013, 15:06
It takes TOO long to thru-hike, so I have to wait TOO long before life presents me a window (retirement) to do it.

Pedaling Fool
08-12-2013, 16:13
... Most of the thru's I met were hiking so fast, I am not sure they saw the trail. Some looked pretty pissed too. HYOH and all that, but look around a bit too. Is the goal just to finish? Maybe if I attempted a thru I would understand (no sarcasm meant on the last point. I must be missing something).
No offense taken and I mean no offense, but you are missing something, IMHO. I think everyone should do a thru-hike and you’ll probably also experience the feeling of seeking only the destination, screw the journey. It's a lot like a marathon; most people aren’t doing it for the journey, only the destination, i.e. the finish line -- despite what they tell themselves and others.

To me that only makes sense, because hiking the trail is a physical endeavor, unless you just go out for an easy day hike. There’s something to be said for that single-minded effort to get to the end, it may not be fun doing it, but it does leave one with very fond memories. And the feeling of superb fitness is awesome; there’s not much better feeling than walking in town and you can feel the steel in your legs when you compare your effortless gait to that of the masses.

A lot of thrus do lie to themselves into believing that their hike was all about the journey, when most of it was about the destination. However, that’s not the biggest mistake made by thrus; the biggest mistake is that they do not improve on their fitness after a thru and what’s really sad is many don’t even maintain that level fitness.

Sunshine82
08-12-2013, 21:32
The only too that I have is that I hate when I'm too busy to hike now that sucks

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 02:25
Ahh, you got it Malto. It's about our perceptions. It's about how we define things. They lead to our beliefs and therefore expectations and then behaviors.

When we change the way we look at things the things we look at change. - Wayne Dyer

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 02:29
Amen to that. It is the people not the trail that is lacking. The trail is great.

+2 Ditto. Well said.

Kaptain Kangaroo
08-13-2013, 03:41
Too.... far from where I live ! :-(

4shot
08-13-2013, 07:33

Wayne

actually, I don't think people who thru hike are looking for 'better" or "easier" hikes. The rain, mud, bugs, PUDs, etc. aren't something that a thru hiker wants to avoid. sure , we might grumble a bit about them when hiking. I used to work with a guy who also took on the most difficult projects or tasks. He always said "if it was easy, anybody could do it" or "if it were easy, it wouldn't be any fun". I learned a lot from this guy.

Marta
08-13-2013, 09:26
Sure, in one sense, the Trail is what it is, and if you want to hike it, you hike it. If you don't like it, don't hike it.

But the Trail is also an artificial construct in that it's a route chosen by people working within a lot of constraints over a long period of time. There are many sections of the Trail that seem extremely arbitrary and annoying. I remember a number of particular places where the Trail is going along a nice path, then it suddenly takes a turn, adds a bunch of distance and difficulty, then returns to the nice path a bit further along. Hiking SOBO towards Kent, one is walking pleasantly along next to the river, then one is routed up and over a big rock, then returned to the river walk. I remember an intersection in High Point State Park where the AT, which was a rocky mess, crossed another trail, which would have been smooth strolling. ***? Why? It's just annoying.

Lyte-w8-hyker
08-13-2013, 09:55
The trail is too far away.

Haha My biggest problem!

Another Kevin
08-13-2013, 21:48
The trail is too ... seductive. It takes up my time that I could be spending on other projects that might even be of more lasting value. But it keeps calling me back.

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2013, 21:53
Silly, the trail is too silly.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 22:27

:D I'm working on saying things as plainly as you LW. I think you're right on the assessment.

There's too much bitching and belly aching at times. Get over being offended so damn easily and move forward in life by abandoning that limiting BS.

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2013, 22:32
:D I'm working on saying things as plainly as you LW. I think you're right on the assessment.

There's too much bitching and belly aching at times. Get over being offended so damn easily and move forward in life by abandoning that limiting BS.

The more I hike the more I realize that most of the A.T. problems I read about are only found on the Internet.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 23:29

It doesn't have to be all about watching the stars, listening to the birds and feeling the warm summer sun on your face.

More to the point, it can be something great even if the "truth" is that the destination becomes a driving force.

Only soft people think it needs to be (or should be) some hedonistic romp in fairy land.

Plenty of ways to feel good. I sure we have both found a few that don't entail blisters, and deprivation.

Nicely stated rickb. I'll follow up on that further in my next post.

When I hit the AT for my thru-hike my youngest brother wrote this down in a letter that I carried with me during my entire thru-hike. Whether raining or sunny, hot or cold, hungry or full, freshly invigorated or tired, hard or easy, muggy and buggy or crisp and clear it's all the same. I had to meditate on that a while until I started seeing the light. It gave me great strength. It reminded me that my perceptions of things played into me accomplishing things and how the quality of those events was interpreted. It reminds me of the quotes by Henry Ford - "When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it ...." and "Whether you think you can or you think you can't you're right." I like thistoo that I'll post again - "When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer

Look at the perceptions inherit in these posts. What does it tell us about maintaining an attitude of gratitude, praise, and empowering definitions? Notice these posters have little to no time for being angry, bitching and complaining, generally depressed, resentful, ill at ease(dis-eased), not at peace, wasting energy on negative BS, etc? It's my illusion that these posters have ultimately succeeded at much in life. Look at most who accomplish great noted things. They have the same wiring. When a reporter asked Thomas Edison about his failure to invent the incandescent light bulb for the 100th time what was his mindset in his response? Edison replied, "I didn't fail. I succeeded in finding a new way NOT to invent the light bulb!"

Life is full of pessimists. I heard much about "too many MUDs and PUDs" before my AT hike. I looked at it from a trail builder's perspective and was amazed at the high quality footpath through some very rugged country. I didn't even want to think about right-of-way issues. I never once thought a hill was mindless or pointless. My congratulations and thanks go out to those involved with building the AT.

....I thought the trail was perfect. The "real" world is too (fill in the blank). Wish I was still on the trail.

Absolutely on point Malto. People describe that acceptance in different ways and have different methods of reaching that acceptance, but when it comes down to it, everyone is saying to accept the trail for what it is.

The next lesson is accepting all of life as an experience. That's the really hard lesson, but it yields great rewards.

The trail is too peaceful, relaxing, and inviting.

Dogwood
08-14-2013, 00:31

I polled the thru's as I met them about the difficulty of Maine vs the rest of the trail. The vast majority said Maine is the most difficult, but the most rewarding. I met one thru heading up the Bigelows on a nice day. I told him the view was great. He gave me a pissed off sarcastic "great" back. I don't get the zombie hikers just hiking to finish. I loved the "difficult" Maine section. I took from 7/7 - 8/3 to do it. I just wish I had more time so I could have done it slower. If the hike is just about finishing, I will never thru hike. I met many thru's that were enjoying the trail. Some relished every bit of it. Those people I understand and am jealous of.

Deep point of view you came upon Malto. Expectations and Idealism.

I think the "Embrace" mentality is what we need to have. Embrace whatever trail throws at you at the moment be ugly, bad, good or even excellent. That is your chance. We can hike a trail hating it and just by embrace mentality we can hike and love the same trail . Just Embrace, no expectations.
Why complain and endure when you can Embrace?? Why Hate when you can love?

No expectations means no surprise also. Just Embrace and live the moment to the fullest. It might not be the perfect moment in any sense or shape, but it is our moment.

Nothing miraculous would happen at the end of a long trail . It is now almost all about the journey and not just destination.

.... IMHO. I think everyone should do a thru-hike and you’ll probably also experience the feeling of seeking only the destination, screw the journey. It's a lot like a marathon; most people aren’t doing it for the journey, only the destination, i.e. the finish line -- despite what they tell themselves and others.

To me that only makes sense, because hiking the trail is a physical endeavor, unless you just go out for an easy day hike. There’s something to be said for that single-minded effort to get to the end, it may not be fun doing it, but it does leave one with very fond memories. And the feeling of superb fitness is awesome; there’s not much better feeling than walking in town and you can feel the steel in your legs when you compare your effortless gait to that of the masses.

A lot of thrus do lie to themselves into believing that their hike was all about the journey, when most of it was about the destination....

I find these interesting opinions about the destination and the journey. Different long distance hikers, who actually complete their intended hikes, mentally juggle their hikes and themselves in different ways with no one size one way that fits all hikers. I noticed MANY AT thru-hikers and SOME thru-hikers on other long distance trails having the mentality that they wouldn't be fully satisfied, happy, elated, and content UNTIlL they got to the end of their thru-hikes. Personally, I try not taking that approach as I prolly wouldn't finish some of my long distance hikes HAPPILY. I would feel hurried without the necessity of having to feel that way. Hiking like that would be more of a mental and physical grind rather than a flowing with the journey as the spirit dictates in a ZEN like state. Flowing in that state, however, doesn't totally omit the physical and mental aspects of completing a long distance hike. I know some will not understand this. I'm not into quitting though. I actually despise it. I get through my hikes most happily and contently by staying in the moment and not consistently dwelling in the past or future. When I did look ahead I thought about how I would feel, look, act, think etc on top of that AT sign at the Mt Katahdin summit. I sought to feel, look, act, think, etc that way during every moment of my hike LONG BEFORE I GOT TO MT KATAHDIN. In every moment with every footstep I saw in my mind's eye my entire being connecting with the center of the Earth and my mind and spirit reaching to the highest heavens. FOR ME, my hikes are certainly not ignorant about the destination, but are very much about the journey. That mindset of "being in the now" helps me realize more on a hike and in life in general.

BirdBrain
08-14-2013, 00:53
No offense taken and I mean no offense, but you are missing something, IMHO. I think everyone should do a thru-hike and you’ll probably also experience the feeling of seeking only the destination, screw the journey. It's a lot like a marathon; most people aren’t doing it for the journey, only the destination, i.e. the finish line -- despite what they tell themselves and others.

A lot of thrus do lie to themselves into believing that their hike was all about the journey, when most of it was about the destination. However, that’s not the biggest mistake made by thrus; the biggest mistake is that they do not improve on their fitness after a thru and what’s really sad is many don’t even maintain that level fitness.

I agree that I am lack understanding because I have never hiked thru. I did, however, hike Maine in 29 days on only 2 resupplies and carrying luxury items and did it slow on purpose. In other words I was carrying between 35 and 40 lbs for most of the time. It was physically demanding. It hurt at times. I wish it did not have to stop. I wish I could have taken more time and gone slower. I repeat, I know I am ignorant of the zombie attitude of many thrus. If I did a thru, I would likely grasp it.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 02:37
"When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer

I like this, an often employ. And though it may not always turn out the way I'd like, there's a lesson in acceptance there for those that care to listen.

Sly
08-14-2013, 04:33
The trail is TOO short.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 04:34
The trail is TOO short.
What in blazes:D

Sly
08-14-2013, 04:38
What in blazes:D

No! Way TOO many blazes! :mad: (in places)

Pedaling Fool
08-14-2013, 09:22
Of all the Too(s) to describe the trail there is one Too that would suck and that's Too Easy.

I see the zombie effect as a sort of initiation, not as a way of life or a way of hiking in normal mode. We should all go thru a zombie period. There is no complete appreciation of the good without the bad.

Dogwood's description of hiking sounds good and all, but even monks go through postulancy period; one does not just jump in to bliss. The thought that you can just get into a zen mindset on will is just wrong -- it took me between 600-700 miles before I felt like I was literally floating down the trail. But even at that point I was not at a pinnacle of hiking.

You want truly hiking bliss, then you first must breakdown the body and rebuild it and that is a painful process. That's just a fact of life and it's true in every endeavor, not just hiking.