PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands Next Wk

chiefduffy
08-12-2013, 07:05
I have never been in Southern Virginia this time of year. Any updates or advice appreciated, ie water availability, tick or yellow jacket issues, poison ivy, etc. Thanks!!

Mr. Bumpy
08-12-2013, 08:30
Excellent, most excellent choice this time of year. There has been a lot of rain and some horse trails in particular in the Little Wilson Creek area were in pretty bad shape --lots of mud sucking boggy stretches, but that was it. It should be about time for the blueberries up there. Pay a few buck for parking in the state park, get the Trails Illustrated map of the area and enjoy a few days of loop hiking.

No Directions
08-12-2013, 08:57
That is a great destination. Take a camera and enjoy. Heed the posted warning signs about sudden weather changes. At 5000' a sudden rain shower can be cold.

squilax
08-12-2013, 09:03
Wild blueberries should be close to picking... share some photos when you get back. We're planning to go there next October. Have a great trip!

fins1838
08-12-2013, 09:09
Was there in May. Best section we've hiked to date. (Watch out for the 1 mean pony). Take a shower at Graysons Highland state park. Restrooom & showers were very clean. As someone else mentioned watch for T storms. Was the only thing that kind of put a damper (pun intended) on our hike.

johnnybgood
08-12-2013, 09:43
The water table is up from this time last year with more mud on the trail . Gnats and mosquitos have been bad with all the rain, hopefully the Highlands provide a breeze to keep the bugs away.

August is the time the worker bees leave the colony , trying to survive on their own
I was stung while hiking Saturday , they tend to be more agitated with their work done.

As previously mentioned, keep an eye on the ever changing weather that happens in summertime conditions.

chiefduffy
08-12-2013, 09:44
Thanks for all the good info! Any problems with mosquitos or gnats this time of year?

chiefduffy
08-12-2013, 09:45
The water table is up from this time last year with more mud on the trail . Gnats and mosquitos have been bad with all the rain, hopefully the Highlands provide a breeze to keep the bugs away.

August is the time the worker bees leave the colony , trying to survive on their own
I was stung while hiking Saturday , they tend to be more agitated with their work done.

As previously mentioned, keep an eye on the ever changing weather that happens in summertime conditions.

Wow that was quick! Thanks!

mts4602
08-12-2013, 09:56
Maybe just to add to this thread....What kind of temps can I expect? I will be heading there not next week but the week after.

Sunshine82
08-12-2013, 11:54
It should be really nice this time of year!maybe chilly at night tho.enjoy the ponies they really like to hang out around Thomas Knob shelter.watch your snickers bars tho,they are sneaky an will try to grab them lol

Del Q
08-12-2013, 21:39
The Grayson Highlands are truly amazing..............thus far I have hiked 1475 of the 218??? miles, there are a lot of spots that I would not choose to go back to compared to other USA trails

Damascus
Grayson Highlands