PDA

View Full Version : My Brother's First Impression About Lightheart SoLong standard:

Kookork
08-12-2013, 11:30
So this weekend my brother and his friend went for a 3 days 2 night hike on AT New Hampshire. Since I ordered a Camouflage Lightheart Solong Standard through him( Thanks to Judy) he had the choice to choose between his Nemo Meta 2P and my standard SoLong.

I recommended him to go with the standard and last night when we talked about the tent his answer was that it is too big for one person!!?

His buddy who was not carrying a tent and was supposed to sleep in AMC huts slept in the tent ( with a blanket) for one night due to technicalities and surprisingly my brother was feeling not that uncomfortable.

He think Judy can make a 30 percent smaller version of this tent and it still works great for solos.

I think the tent is just perfect for me and my Sheltie dog for a 2014 AT thru. That was the nicest complaint I have heard about a sub 2 pounds tent.

Ender
08-12-2013, 12:02
He think Judy can make a 30 percent smaller version of this tent and it still works great for solos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SoLong the big version of the tent anyway? So if you want a smaller tent, just get the standard Solo.

Kookork
08-12-2013, 12:24
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SoLong the big version of the tent anyway? So if you want a smaller tent, just get the standard Solo.

Both Standard SoLong and Standard Solo have 30 square feet footprint so they are virtually same size but different use of 30 square feet footprint. SoLong seems to have a better use of that space IMHO.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 12:27
Any way you slice it, a two person sub two pound tent is impressive.

capehiker
08-12-2013, 12:32
For taller guys like myself, Judy tapped into a segment of backpackers that are often overlooked by mainstream (and some cottage) manufacturers. I have a Tarptent Moment which I'm very happy with for 3 day trips. However, for my Thru, I'm going to take the SoLong 6. A sub-2 lb tent "too big" for one person - that's like winning the Lottery! Thanks for the report. :)

fins1838
08-12-2013, 14:19
I'm 6'3" and have a BA Scout 2. Plenty of room for me, the wife, our backpacks. Under 2lbs but best of all it stays dry. Even thru a t storm with rain blowing sideways. Just never hear this tent mentioned.

bfayer
08-12-2013, 14:29
I'm 6'3" and have a BA Scout 2. Plenty of room for me, the wife, our backpacks. Under 2lbs but best of all it stays dry. Even thru a t storm with rain blowing sideways. Just never hear this tent mentioned.

Sounds good. This thread is about the SoLong, so I am not sure where you are going with your post?

Are you trying to say the SoLong 6 does not stay dry? Because in my experience it stays bone dry.

Back to the OP, I can appreciate your brothers view of the SoLong 6 being a little on the large size, but that is why most of us folks bought them. The combination of size, side entry, great views, ventilation and light weight is tough to beat.

I say keep the size just the way it is.

Deacon
08-12-2013, 21:03
I saw a YouTube review by Balls and Sunshine on their new cuben Solong 6. I'm a hammock guy but if I go to a tent I'm sold on the Solong.

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 21:06
i had a fly creek 2, just got my solong 6 last week, couldnt believe how fast i was able too set it up the very first time. floor space is bigger, and has much more volume, plenty of room for me and my pack.

Meriadoc
08-12-2013, 21:08
Good to hear. If I ever have to replace my Duo, it will probably be with a SoLong. Judy's tents are so sturdy, roomy, and light.

Kookork
08-12-2013, 21:27
Sounds good. This thread is about the SoLong, so I am not sure where you are going with your post?

Are you trying to say the SoLong 6 does not stay dry? Because in my experience it stays bone dry.

Back to the OP, I can appreciate your brothers view of the SoLong 6 being a little on the large size, but that is why most of us folks bought them. The combination of size, side entry, great views, ventilation and light weight is tough to beat.

I say keep the size just the way it is.

Honestly, I have no intention to compare SoLong with any other UL tent. SoLong is my choice and style and does not mean is the best choice for everybody, It is just my choice. ( and I am a 5'8'' guy with a sub 20 pounds dog.

My brother took these three photos of his trip with tent. 60 feet far from the tent and although you have eye contact , you can't see the tent easily.

Bone dry performance in the rain for the guy who was using this tent for the first night of his Appalachian trail experience.

I think the size was the reason I was attracted to it first either. But I had problem with tent color and Judy said she is bringing Camouflage fabric.

Trail tested Sub 2 pounds , 2 person trekking pole tent in Camouflage , it does not get better than this for me.

Del Q
08-12-2013, 21:34
There appears to be NO perfect gear.

Never has been - never will be

I think that most would agree that.............

LIGHTER IS BETTER THAN HEAVIER
LIGHTER COSTS MORE $$$
ULTRALIGHT MEANS SACRIFICE - MOST ARE SECTION OR WHATEVER HIKERS, NOT THRU'S
GREAT GEAR IS GREAT GEAR.............REGARDLESS OF WHAT ITEM YOU REFER TO
BACKPACKING IS A GREAT PASSION / HOBBY

Our chosen hobby means selecting gear, be it from the attic or online..........to do this means going out somewhat prepared, be it for a weekend, 2 weeks or 4 months

I purchased the So Long in Cuben Fiber, saved for over a year, happy with my selection

ROOMY
WATERPROOF
LIGHT
PACKS SMALL
NO MISTING
PACKS PRETTY DRY

22 ounces with two openings, mesh all around, use my hiking poles for supports..............to me this is A FOUR SEASONS (HOTEL) OF TENTS, more I am sure to come.

Kookork
08-12-2013, 21:35
I saw a YouTube review by Balls and Sunshine on their new cuben Solong 6. I'm a hammock guy but if I go to a tent I'm sold on the Solong.

That is a pleasant compliment from a hammock guy. Thank you.

Kookork
08-12-2013, 21:41
There appears to be NO perfect gear.

Never has been - never will be

I think that most would agree that.............

LIGHTER IS BETTER THAN HEAVIER
LIGHTER COSTS MORE $$$
ULTRALIGHT MEANS SACRIFICE - MOST ARE SECTION OR WHATEVER HIKERS, NOT THRU'S
GREAT GEAR IS GREAT GEAR.............REGARDLESS OF WHAT ITEM YOU REFER TO
BACKPACKING IS A GREAT PASSION / HOBBY

Our chosen hobby means selecting gear, be it from the attic or online..........to do this means going out somewhat prepared, be it for a weekend, 2 weeks or 4 months

I purchased the So Long in Cuben Fiber, saved for over a year, happy with my selection

ROOMY
WATERPROOF
LIGHT
PACKS SMALL
NO MISTING
PACKS PRETTY DRY

22 ounces with two openings, mesh all around, use my hiking poles for supports..............to me this is A FOUR SEASONS (HOTEL) OF TENTS, more I am sure to come.

I had no choice of Cuben Fiber at the time of order but if I did, I wanted a Camouflage tent which is not available in Cuben for now. I am a stealth camping type of guy sometimes to the extreme of military precision.

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 21:43
I had no choice of Cuben Fiber at the time of order but if I did, I wanted a Camouflage tent which is not available in Cuben for now. I am a stealth camping type of guy sometimes to the extreme of military precision.
it will be availanble when judy gets back from her trip