PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles... where to start?

Nar Nar
08-12-2013, 12:28
I've been backpacking for about 2 years now and I have never needed trekking poles. I'm young and in good shape so I never saw the point in bringing them, until a combination of a lot of running and hiking has started to take a toll on one of my knees. For that reason, I'm going to start using them next year and I need to invest in a good pair of poles. However, I have no idea where to start. I've heard some bad stories about Black Diamond's customer service so I'd probably like to start with Leki, but they have so many different options that I don't know what to choose. Weight and price are a factor, but I'm not willing to drop a significant amount of money just to save a few ounces. What do you use? What would you recommend? Thanks guys!

slbirdnerd
08-12-2013, 12:36
I do love my Black Diamond trail ergo's. I've not had to contact customer service so I can't comment on that. Trekking poles are great whether you need them to aleviate pain or not. Mine have kept me from many a fall on my butt. Saved me just last weekend on a flat but very muddy area. I have both but usually use only one, slightly shorter than regular length. Works for me. I would definitely recommend the flip (not twist) locking kind. The only problem we had was my doofy dad running my tractor into the garage wall and smooshing one my son's BD poles that was leaning there. I don't think customer service could help that! ;)

coach lou
08-12-2013, 12:42
Black Diamond Ergos for me also! I hang on them pry with them lean on them....and I've never had the need to call BD customer service either.

max patch
08-12-2013, 12:48
Piece of tree limb on the side of the trail. Free.

If you want to experiment with "real" poles Costo has a pair for $28 I believe.

If you want name brand poles try Lekki - poles always seem to be breaking but they have a good rep for fixing them.

jbwood5
08-12-2013, 13:07
I use Leki's and so far so good. Mine are also used to support my tent. If I ever break one, I may be looking for the right length stick out of necessity. I came across at least one fellow who broke their Leki in the Whites this year. He got it replaced but said it was a nuisance (they shipped it to the PO after he had already moved on). I think the new Leki's are mostly the lever clamp lock which is good. I've had a few issues with the twist lock style not locking up and that requires time consuming disassembly. I try to never change the length of the ones I'm using now for that reason.

tarditi
08-12-2013, 13:49
I got one to use as a tarp support pole, tried it out on an AT section hike and wished I had a matching pole for my off hand the rest of the trip. Made a big difference to me. I like hiking sticks just fine, but a lightweight trekking pole is to a hiking stick what a technical UL pack is to a military surplus ALICE pack.

Can try it our with cheaper poles to see if you even like the mechanics of it, then invest in some name brand ones if you so choose - my $25 Köppen pole I got at the sporting goods store was just fine for me. FWIW, I've heard more Black Diamond breaking stories and less of the Lekis.

Onedawg
08-12-2013, 13:54
I use Lekis. I think more important that the manufacturer is the grip. I really like cork grips. I find them easier on my hands and easier to hold on to when wet.

HooKooDooKu
08-12-2013, 14:00
I use bamboo. Super lightweight and strong. I personally like having a pole that is about the same height as me (or taller). The extra length is great for rock-hopping or when you are negotiating a large step down. I also like to be able to have a hand at or above head level at times to help "pull" myself up a hill.

I've never found any trekking poles in the length I would desire, so I've never used them. I also like having one hand free, so I personally prefer a single pole over a pair of trekking poles. I'm able to switch hands based on which side is the down hill side of the trail, or simply switch hands because one has gotten tired.

For a hand grip, I simply wrap the pole at hand height with some of the wrap you put on a tennis racket grip. Keeps a good grip even when it is wet.

Odd Man Out
08-12-2013, 14:00
I went through the same thing recently and reported on a similar thread how I came to decide on BD Ergo Trail Cork Poles.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96270-Trek-Poles&p=1491002&viewfull=1#post1491002

BirdBrain
08-12-2013, 14:26
I went through the same thing recently and reported on a similar thread how I came to decide on BD Ergo Trail Cork Poles.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96270-Trek-Poles&p=1491002&viewfull=1#post1491002

This may be a matter of 'I don't know what I am missing', but my Wal*Mart ones worked fine for my recent walk across Maine. I could not imagine paying what you guys do for this sort of thing. Maybe if I tried them I would understand.

bfayer
08-12-2013, 14:38
I use leki, I hike with friends that use black diamond. Can't go wrong with either.

I tell my scouts to either find an old set of ski poles at a thrift shop, or buy the Costco poles before they spend money on something they won't keep using.

Once they try them and like them, its easier to find a quality pair that has the features they like.

For myself, I love my poles and won't hike without them if I have the choice.

Drybones
08-12-2013, 14:54
I started with Walmart $12 poles and they did okay, fell and bent them and decided to get Black Diamond poles for long hikes. The biggest difference, and an important one to me, is the handles being rounded and soft to the hand rather than having sharp edges. I have both the BD trail shock and cork handle ergo, I like the regular handles better. I could not have made across the Mt Rogers area in the snow this spring without them, my trapezium (sp ?) muscles in the shoulders were so sore the evening I reached Orchard Shelter I didn't know if I could hike the next day, had to catch myself on every step with the poles, took two steps forward and slid back one, never been sore there before, felt fine the next morning.

double d
08-12-2013, 15:04
Shop around, but I would suggest Leki poles are very good (yes, that is the company I use). I would suggest you invest in a good pair, my first pair of poles were cheap ones from WalMart and they just didn't hold up at all (on the AT). Good luck and happy hiking.

Tuckahoe
08-12-2013, 15:23
I bought a pair of Mountain Smith poles, but I must be honest that I got them because I liked the anvil logo. I like anvils :p

Nar Nar
08-12-2013, 15:40
Thanks for the responses everyone. I already have a cheap pair of Walmart poles that I will be testing out soon. Can anyone recommend any specific models of either BD or Leki? Thanks

ladydi
08-12-2013, 15:48
I can't say enough good things about Leki Poles. I got a different cheapo pair to support my Nomad 2-4-2 tent so I could take my Lekis for day hiking. (Lightheart Gear greatly improved that design) I don't like the anti-shock feature because I think it wastes your energy...YMMV? Leki, IMHO, has absolutely the BEST customer service extant. The older twist lock nylon expanders did need to be replaced every now and then. Don't forget Leki has free service at Trail Days in Damascus. (Do NOT spray WD40 in the interior of the shafts :mad:) I may finally replace my old ones with the flip lock style. I also like the CorTec grips. I'm on my third pair...

Old Boots
08-12-2013, 15:52
I have BD trail backs. They work fine and customer service was responsive.

coach lou
08-12-2013, 16:10
I do love my Black Diamond trail ergo's. I've not had to contact customer service so I can't comment on that. Trekking poles are great whether you need them to aleviate pain or not. Mine have kept me from many a fall on my butt. Saved me just last weekend on a flat but very muddy area. I have both but usually use only one, slightly shorter than regular length. Works for me. I would definitely recommend the flip (not twist) locking kind. The only problem we had was my doofy dad running my tractor into the garage wall and smooshing one my son's BD poles that was leaning there. I don't think customer service could help that! ;)

Black Diamond Ergos for me also! I hang on them pry with them lean on them....and I've never had the need to call BD customer service either.

I use leki, I hike with friends that use black diamond. Can't go wrong with either.

I tell my scouts to either find an old set of ski poles at a thrift shop, or buy the Costco poles before them spend money on something they won't keep using.

Once they try them and like them, its easier to find a quality pair that has the features they like.

For myself, I love my poles and won't hike without them if I have the choice.

I started with Walmart $12 poles and they did okay, fell and bent them and decided to get Black Diamond poles for long hikes. The biggest difference, and an important one to me, is the handles being rounded and soft to the hand rather than having sharp edges. I have both the BD trail shock and cork handle ergo, I like the regular handles better. I could not have made across the Mt Rogers area in the snow this spring without them, my trapezium (sp ?) muscles in the shoulders were so sore the evening I reached Orchard Shelter I didn't know if I could hike the next day, had to catch myself on every step with the poles, took two steps forward and slid back one, never been sore there before, felt fine the next morning.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I already have a cheap pair of Walmart poles that I will be testing out soon. Can anyone recommend any specific models of either BD or Leki? Thanks
BD ERGO Corks!!!!!!

blue indian
08-12-2013, 17:03
I use black diamond trail shocks. Got em at an Rei stratch n dent sale. One of the poles was missing the lower half. So I called black diamond and they sent me the correct piece. The customer service was fine and I like the poles.

I would get poles with the flick lock (or something similar) adjustments.

If I could have any set, it would be the gossamer gear lt4s. Now if they would only get them in stock...

soilman
08-12-2013, 17:07
I have a pair of Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec. They have anti-shock and cork grips, or I should say they use to have cork grips. The cork started dissolving early on during my thru. Other than that I love them. One thing I would say for Leki is they have good customer service and parts can be readily found along the trail. I was doing some maintenance on mine last week and noticed the middle shaft on one pole was starting to split. I called Leki on Tues afternoon and I had a replacement section on my doorstep Friday afternoon. No cost and no hassle. During my thru hike I lost a tip near Stratton Mt and had the tips replaced at EMS in Manchester Center.

Nar Nar
08-12-2013, 20:35
I'm looking at the Leki Corklite poles... does anyone have any experience with those? Also, is the anti-shock feature really that important? Thanks

Onedawg
08-12-2013, 20:39
I'm looking at the Leki Corklite poles... does anyone have any experience with those? Also, is the anti-shock feature really that important? Thanks

I have the corklite poles without the anti-shock. I like them very much. I originally had the anti-shock version but I returned them.

Starchild
08-12-2013, 20:51
FWIW I used from GA to NH REI Carbon ( fiber) poles which broke during a rescue of a injured hiker. I got Leki poles as a loner pair and used them over the Carter Mariea range and could not wait to get my replacements from REI which pvernighted them. Not only are they much lighter but also seems to take much more direct force without seemingly to bow. On the downside carbon poles can't take the same bending force and will break instead of bend

Trebor66
08-12-2013, 21:05
I've been using the REI Traverse poles for a few years and about 500 or so miles. They are holding up well, including the tips. They are made by Komperdell and cost roughly half of what Lekis do. Plus the REI customer service and return policy are hard to beat.

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2013, 21:11
I personally love black diamond poles and actually love the non-cork foam handles. (I think they make three kinds of handles, cork, foam, and rubber, I've heard god things about the cork, not so great things about the rubber.)

I've not had the chance to test out their customer service despite having abused my poles over 500+ miles of war round hiking.

Leki has great customer service, but I only know this because the twist locks on my buddy's Leki poles kept breaking. If you do decide to go with Leki, go with the models that have external flick locks instead of twist locks.

Another Kevin
08-13-2013, 08:22
Me too, on the REI Traverse poles (made by Komperdell, and just by the way, LL Bean's house brand is also Komperdell, so the spare parts interchange). I don't think much of the shock absorbers. I tried a pair of poles with them and they just didn't feel right to me (and were heavier). I like the cork grips, they are nice and cool.

Does anyone have any idea how to clean sticky fir balsam off of cork?

coach lou
08-13-2013, 08:36
Me too, on the REI Traverse poles (made by Komperdell, and just by the way, LL Bean's house brand is also Komperdell, so the spare parts interchange). I don't think much of the shock absorbers. I tried a pair of poles with them and they just didn't feel right to me (and were heavier). I like the cork grips, they are nice and cool.

Try nail polish remover!

Water Rat
08-13-2013, 08:40

If you don't have any nail polish remover, you might try alcohol prep pads. I had some handy and was able to get pitch off my trekking poles (Black Diamond, Ergo, Cork, no shock absorbers....love 'em!).

Rocket Jones
08-13-2013, 08:44
You can't go wrong with BD or Leki, but I'll add a less common but (for me) a much more comfortable option - Pacer Poles (http://www.pacerpole.com/). I wish they offered the flick-locks, but other than that they're perfection.

AndrewAZ
08-16-2013, 15:08
I used Black Diamond fixed-length Z poles on the Arizona Trail, and I'm a fan. When bushwhacking and trying to find the trail in the Mazatzals, my feet went out from under me and I went down. I jammed the pole in the ground, but I kept sliding, and the pole ended up bending almost in half. It didn't break, though, and was none the worse for wear. Pretty impressive for carbon fiber.

Odd Man Out
08-16-2013, 16:14
BD ERGO Corks!!!!!!

Andrew Skurka also prefers these, but like the Costoco ones for value:

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/costco-trekking-poles/

hayshaker170
08-17-2013, 09:36
Just bought some Walmart poles for $20. Hiked 8 miles with them so far. Worked great. Looking forward to using them again soon. I have never had any other poles so don't have anything to compare it with.

q-tip
08-17-2013, 11:33
I love my Leki's make sure you get a flick lock, not the screw lock, they are a pain......

Old Boots
08-22-2013, 07:00
Got my replacement lower section from Black Diamond yesterday. Excellent service no cost and no s&h. I highly recommend them

coach lou
08-22-2013, 07:17
BD ERGO Corks!!!!!!

While zoning out walking this weekend I realized that most of the folks that I have quoted, and myself, neglected to mention that the BDEC come W/FLIP LOCKS........much better than twist.:-?...................:sun

moytoy
08-22-2013, 07:42
I use the Exped alpine 140 poles. I've never seen anybody on this site mention them but I like mine.

Edro
08-22-2013, 09:21
I use Komperdell Carbon poles. love the light weight and the locks dont slip. I had a set of Leki Malaku poles that were great, but, they were prone to slipping at the worst time. The Komperdell poles dont have a shock absorber.

FarmerChef
08-22-2013, 09:34
Our first poles were Mountainsmith anti-shock pole with rubber grips and twist-lock on sale at Sierra Designs or something for around $25 dollars. They worked great for about 1,000 miles then the twist locks just wouldn't do their job anymore no matter how much tinkering. Plus the bottom shafts started to get a bit bent and wouldn't telescope much anymore. They were nice and for $12 a pole they got the job done.

We decided we liked poles so much that we would upgrade so for an anniversary present we gave each other a nice pair of Black Diamond Ergo Corks. To us, the cork is much more comfy than the rubber grip. The straps are much better to and and pretty convenient when you learn how to use them properly. Flick locks kick butt over twist. And I don't miss the anti-shock springs in the Mountainsmiths.

Moral of the story: If money is your driving factor, you can do it with a cheap pair just fine. If you're looking for mid-range comfort and ease of use/value go with the BDECs or something similar. If you want the top of the line, get Leki's.

We just did the Whites and Vermont with our BDs and loved 'em. No problems...yet. (fingers crossed)

Meriadoc
08-22-2013, 09:40
There was a question a while back about Leki Corklite poles. They are my favorite so far. Always get a flip lock, they are stronger and more secure. Leki calls theirs SpeedLock, but it is actually stronger than their Super Locking System. (Read the manufacturer's information.)

Mini reviews of poles I used:
BD Mountain: Old model, foam/rubber grip. Great poles, I really had to abuse them to get them to quit. Well over 1500 miles. With abuse. Had I not wanted new poles with cork instead - I could have fixed them and kept going.

BD Distance Z-pole: Both wrist straps broke in less than 80 miles. First the thin attachment line and then the wrist strap itself tore in half. I cannot recommend them.

REI Traverse (made by Komperdell): The MOST sturdy of the poles I have used by far. Accordingly, they are heavy. Great grip, great handle; I liked them despite my initial misgivings since it wasn't true cork, but cork mixed with resin. It works well and is durable. The major downside is that the tips are not replaceable. Even with the low initial cost, that is a deal breaker for me.

Leki CorkLite Aergon SpeedLock: My favorites and currently in use. They are not as sturdy as the Komperdells but as sturdy as I will ever reasonably need. For reference, I use trekking poles to soften landings from jumps. They are very sturdy. Lighter than the Komperdells. Easy to use, easy on the eyes, good grip even when sweaty, and a light, comfortable wrist strap.

Praha4
08-22-2013, 11:18
Black Diamond carbon cork. BD has the best locking mechanism on their hiking poles.

Another Kevin
08-22-2013, 12:45
REI Traverse (made by Komperdell): The MOST sturdy of the poles I have used by far. Accordingly, they are heavy. Great grip, great handle; I liked them despite my initial misgivings since it wasn't true cork, but cork mixed with resin. It works well and is durable. The major downside is that the tips are not replaceable. Even with the low initial cost, that is a deal breaker for me.

Equinox pole tips fit the poles, for what it's worth. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___29178. I haven't tried them yet, because I haven't had to replace a tip. I have torn a basket, and the Equinox baskets fit fine.

sketcher709
08-23-2013, 22:48
Got my replacement lower section from Black Diamond yesterday. Excellent service no cost and no s&h. I highly recommend them

I had a pair of BD fixed length Z-poles and on about the 4-5 use I slipped on a rock and LIGHTLY bumped one of them from the side. The aluminum portion that inserts into the next section broke. I believe there was something defective about this pole. This was a $160 pair of poles. BD would not warranty them and as it turns out the middle section can not be replaced. Before they knew what section it was they told me I could purchase a section.

So, mine did not break in the typical way the carbon poles break. I would think just to have a happy customer they would have replaced a pole but no they will not budge or give benefit of the doubt so I will not buy anything BD again. Too bad for them, they lose access to my deep pockets and any other deep pockets I have the ability to influence.

Gray Bear
03-23-2014, 19:16
What’s the consensus as far as durability? Carbon or aluminum?

Elder
03-23-2014, 22:35
What’s the consensus as far as durability? Carbon or aluminum? Bamboo. www.americantrekkingpoles.com (http://www.americantrekkingpoles.com)

SoCal Mike
05-04-2014, 10:21
Bamboo. www.americantrekkingpoles.com (http://www.americantrekkingpoles.com)

Bamboo is great. Cheap, light, strong. I made my poles out of bamboo. $3/ea. from Lowe's. I modified the handles so they can also serve as spreader bars for my bridge hammock.

Michael

bighammer
05-04-2014, 22:42
We own a pair of Leki poles that have the internal spring to absorb shock. Sounds like a great idea, but it always feels loose or has "give" to it. The noise of it rebounding gets old after a while too, so I'm thinking something more simple the next time. (and with levers instead of twist lock)

sketcher709
05-20-2014, 11:33
I have to say I would not buy BD poles simply because of their customer service. I lightly bumped my $160 z poles from the side and the aluminum insert twisted and snapped. This was not a hard enough bump that should have broken something - I believe there was a defect in the pole. Not only that but it was a segment that could not be replaced. The poles were relatively new. BD would not warranty. Even if I had slammed the things (I didn't) - for the cost and for customer satisfaction purposes I would have expected a pole to be replaced under warranty. When I pay a premium for a product, I expect kick ass customer service. You won;t see it from BD so think before you spend your hard earned cash with them.

Jake2c
05-20-2014, 16:05
I use Lekis but not so sure it matters that much which brand as long as they are comfortable in your hand. I don't like the spring tips. You will probably walk faster with poles, and it can help stop your hands from swelling. But that is not the main reason I use them. I found that without them, I was always looking down at the ground, of course you still need to do that but with the poles I look up a lot more. I can plan my path forward better, they can keep things at bay that I want at bay and there are many other uses. Sort of a life metaphor. Without support you spend a lot of time looking at the ground and just plodding forward. With support you can look up, see down the road and plan a better path.

bamboo bob
05-20-2014, 16:54
I got a pair of bamboo poles (i couldn't help it) and they do the job while hiking. I'm not fond of the cork grips and I had to order a different ridge pole for my tent to make them work. But alas they are awkward to take on planes because they are too long for my pack so they need to be shipped separately! Other than that, try Americantrekkingpoles.com

Abner
05-20-2014, 21:34
Got wonderfully light Leki's at 2/3 off at a ski store. There were these adjustable leki trekking poles that they could not seem to sell out of a skiing store, so after a winter season they were cheap. Look around. Buy good high quality trekking poles on sale. I've never paid full price for much of my outdoor gear, there is so much used or marked down excellent gear out there. You might peruse the backpacking light gear swap, it is an excellent source of used gear but you have to know what you are looking for.

Damn Yankee
05-20-2014, 22:02
I have two pair of Cascade Mountain Tech hiking poles, one set has cork handles and is a twist lock, the other set are rubber handles with and are flip lock. I started to use trekking poles to help regulate my breathing and found that it help with my COPD. POLES ARE AWESOME !!!!!!!

mic
02-26-2015, 19:45
So I used a pair of 30 year old ski poles my dad had to hike the AT. Never had a problem, but they are a bit heavy and now i'm thinking about investing in some new poles (Gonna be hiking the Grand Canyon in April). And One thing i do remember is the constant hikers with pole issues. replacing tips, poles breaking, wrist strap breaking. Adjustable poles make me nervous. But would be cool to be able to lend them to my dad sometimes...and i'f i want to bring them on a plane. I'm not looking to spend more than 100 bucks. I've decided against anti shock. There are way too many options here. Heeeeeeeeeeelp. Be decisive

coach lou
02-26-2015, 21:45
BD ERGO Corks!!!!!!

This ............. :)

shelb
02-27-2015, 00:23
I tell my scouts to either find an old set of ski poles at a thrift shop, or buy the Costco poles before they spend money on something they won't keep using.

That is a good call for someone who doesn't know if poles are for him.

I have used Walmart poles for several years. When we started backpacking (husband, myself, and 2 sons), we had to cut some corners, and poles was definitely the start - $19/pair at Walmart. Everyone of those sets has broken, plus a couple more.... At this point, I am the only one hiking, and I don't want to be in the middle of a 100 miles hike again and have a pole break (which also means I have to carry it out!). NOTE: My hiking friend put in way more miles with her Leki poles than any of my Walmart ones lasted....but, as bfayer said, they are an inexpensive way to start!

Thanks for the pole advice! I will be looking at all of your suggestions and choosing a quality set this year!

gbolt
02-27-2015, 20:35
Shelb,

Check out Redbeards Youtube video on his Trekking Poles for his PCT hike. He does a great job discussing his experience hiking the AT with one set and now his choice of Leki Poles.

I had already purchased a different set of poles before watching this video, yet it confirmed my purchase. While I purchased Leki, I went with a different model than his, because of the handles. I wanted Cork versus any other material. I also waited and waited, and waited some more for the price to be low enought for me to pull the trigger. Therefore, I got a $159 dollar set of poles for $129 (plus free shipping).

Your smart for using the Walmart Poles to insure the cost of more expensive poles is worth it. Now that you know you want poles, good luck in choosing the best set for you. The best purchase is the one that you are happiest with!