PDA

View Full Version : What's the dumbest thing you've done

Drybones
08-12-2013, 17:37
I'm still feeling guilty about calling someone a dummy a week ago, made me recall what a dumba** I was when I was younger, I'm still alive only by the grace of God, cant believe some of the stupid stuff i did, it's a miracle any kid lives past the age of 12. What's the dumbest thing you've done, nothing please that can be used against you in a court of law.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 17:49
imagine 11yrs old, large garage, can of gasoline and an M80....kaboom

moytoy
08-12-2013, 17:54
I'm going to qualify this. I'm not going to include anything that had to do with a pretty girl:) There was some really dumb stuff.
When I was 14 I stepped off a 50' drop because I walked into a wasp nest. I still limp.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 17:55
Me and my friends created a pipe bomb by cutting off the heads of matches and sticking them in pipe, we blew it up in the woods. I am still amazed we were lucky to get thru that without a spark while we sawed off the heads of hundred of matches. One spark and we would have been seriously injured, probably not killed, but seriously hurting.

Drybones
08-12-2013, 18:00
I'm going to qualify this. I'm not going to include anything that had to do with a pretty girl:) There was some really dumb stuff.
When I was 14 I stepped off a 50' drop because I walked into a wasp nest. I still limp.

Yeah...there's probably a lot of us out there that wont confess to the truely dumbest thing we've done because it involves a member of the opposite sex.

Drybones
08-12-2013, 18:02
Yeah...there's probably a lot of us out there that wont confess to the truely dumbest thing we've done because it involves a member of the opposite sex.

And I'll give you odds it's not 5 posts before someone says the dumbest thing was getting married.

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2013, 18:04
I am an optimist and like to think that my dumbest days are still to come.

Drybones
08-12-2013, 18:09

Hey, you're still young, bound to have some stupid still left in you.

coach lou
08-12-2013, 18:10
And I'll give you odds it's not 5 posts before someone says the dumbest thing was getting married.

I was contemplating posting....'The third time'....but I do love her AND she likes to Backpack and fish!:D

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 18:10

You did, and it was post #6 :)

Drybones
08-12-2013, 18:13
I was contemplating posting....'The third time'....but I do love her AND she likes to Backpack and fish!:D

Backpack and fish......I'd keep her.

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 18:18

Backpack and fish......I'd keep her. and she makes a wicked cheesecake

max patch
08-12-2013, 18:19
To keep this hiking related years ago I boiled water for my morning coffee. Only I somehow poured white gas into the cook pot instead of water. The eventual ensuing fireball was warning enough not to drink the "water".

Drybones
08-12-2013, 18:28
To keep this hiking related years ago I boiled water for my morning coffee. Only I somehow poured white gas into the cook pot instead of water. The eventual ensuing fireball was warning enough not to drink the "water".

You got first place so far Max.

Drybones
08-12-2013, 18:30

All she's lacking is a good coon dog and a pick up truck and she's be the perfect wife.

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2013, 19:02
Not the dumbest thing I've ever done, but it was the worst meal I've ever had on the trail:

Alright TW, I think I've got the winning story.

The first ever overnight I did as an adult had a memorable experience. My buddy and I had just dropped a good chunk of money buying gear for backpacking even though we couldn't afford it, in order to make ends need and still hike, my buddy who had no experience made his own soda can alcohol stove for the trip.

I was skeptical at first, but he tried it out in his kitchen and the soda can stove worked well, it boiled water quick enough and was practically free, so I agreed to use it. He even bought a MSR backpackers pot to go with the stove.

On our first day out we made it seven miles ( a big deal on your first trip wearing a pack in over a decade). We got to the campsite and I proceeded to make dinner. I removed the stove that was nestled in the new cookpot, lit it with the denatured alcohol I bought and made couscous.

The first few bites were okay, but then I accidentally took a bite from the part that was at the bottom of the cookpot and my mouth exploded in pain and sent signals to my brain that we were under attack. I instantly turned green and without consciously knowing what happened I ran close to the edge of the tent site and spit out everything in my mouth, replacing it with dry heaving. Not knowing what happened, I unsuccessfully tried to rinse my mouth out as my very concerned hiking buddy tried to see if he could help. He said so something to the effect of "I've never had couscous before but this tastes terrible". To which I responded that I ate the stuff all the time and that this must save been contaminated.

After a brief discussion, the truth came out. It turns out that my buddy was too lazy to buy proper cooking alcohol when testing his stove. Instead he grabbed the only flammable liquid he had available, his girlfriend's nail polish remover, and used that for his first few trial runs. The problem is that nail polish remover does not fully burn down and instead leaves a residue that tastes something like rocket fuel. Turns out that since he hadn't washed the stove before putting it inside the cookpot, all the residue was shaken out into the cookpot.

Not an experience that I will soon forget.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 19:06
what's a little acetone in your couscous....wimps

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 19:27

YUP............................

and she makes a wicked cheesecake

She's a keeper!! :) AND she's good at shoveling snow...;)

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 19:45
Not the dumbest thing I've ever done, but it was the worst meal I've ever had on the trail:

Hate to derail a basically humor thread, with a serious issue, but your story got me wondering. Is it safe for me to store my white gas stove inside my cooking pot? Haven't had an issue yet, but that doesn't mean it is safe. I know it is fairly common practice but is it a good idea?

Toli
08-12-2013, 19:56
Not the dumbest thing I've ever done, but it was the worst meal I've ever had on the trail: :eek: Did you punch him in the junk???

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2013, 20:07
What do I win by laying out my soul on WB?

Drybones
08-12-2013, 20:11

How about a dunce cap. BTW, your trail name should have been Wise Horned Owl, then you would be......Who.....instead of Woo.

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2013, 20:31
Nah never was that horny...:rolleyes:

Ouch... Guess I need to add a Redaction feature... looks like this... 23368

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2013, 20:47
:eek: Did you punch him in the junk???

I wouldn't dare. He has the best trail dog I've ever hiked with. I like backpacking with that dog so much that I even put up with it when he brings his owner. ;)

atmilkman
08-12-2013, 20:53

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO41BGkmjfFKRE-YSUqoCziqa9yvqVBiTwo3Ink8tkbYB8OerK

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2013, 20:53
Hate to derail a basically humor thread, with a serious issue, but your story got me wondering. Is it safe for me to store my white gas stove inside my cooking pot? Haven't had an issue yet, but that doesn't mean it is safe. I know it is fairly common practice but is it a good idea?

I don't actually know the answer, however I would guess that white gas probably tastes just as bad as the acetone solution in my story. If that's the case then your sense of taste and smell will likely do a good job of preventing any accidental ingestion. Another lesson I learned that day was to always check inside the cook pot before using it, this alone would most likely prevent any problems.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 20:59
I'm still feeling guilty about calling someone a dummy a week ago, made me recall what a dumba** I was when I was younger, I'm still alive only by the grace of God, cant believe some of the stupid stuff i did, it's a miracle any kid lives past the age of 12. What's the dumbest thing you've done, nothing please that can be used against you in a court of law.

on the AT? this is AT specific, no?

Whack-a-mole
08-12-2013, 21:08
Never fry bacon naked. And no, don't ask how I know....

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 21:24
I don't actually know the answer, however I would guess that white gas probably tastes just as bad as the acetone solution in my story. If that's the case then your sense of taste and smell will likely do a good job of preventing any accidental ingestion. Another lesson I learned that day was to always check inside the cook pot before using it, this alone would most likely prevent any problems.

I think I will store the stove separately and use the pot to prevent food like cheerios from getting crushed in the backpack. While the taste will probably prevent a fatal ingestion, I would rather skip having me and the kids puking if the stove leaks and I don't catch it.

Doctari
08-12-2013, 21:28
Not enough band width on the INTERNET! Suffice it to say that I'm amazed that I'm still alive. Yep, as I get older, I do get a bit more cautious, but Getting from about 2 to 20, , , was a Herculean effort mixed with a LOT of luck!

Hiking related:
Took BIG swig of alcohol cooking fuel, didn't swallow, but nearly did. Had it in a very small Gatorade bottle, thinking I could differentiate from the BIG Gatorade bottle that held my water (8 Oz vs 32 Oz) I was SO wrong!
Kicked a hole in a really nice, deep layer of duff for a Cat Hole, assumed the position & felt a white hot 10 Penny nail being driven into my right calf, about 0.01 seconds later I felt another in my Left thigh. Turns out that I had kicked a hole in the door of a LARGE nest of Ground hornets. I RAN! Turned out I "Only" was stung 8 times just in the legs, & am not allergic. It still hurt like H***! On a happy note, due to the venom being a neuro toxin, my legs didn't cramp at all that night. :-)
Have had Hypothermia 3 times, ALWAYS during Rain, only one time below 45f! With the last one being close to the "I want to take my clothing off" stage. You know, the stage just before death. The other 2 I had stopped shivering,,,, a long time ago! All 3 times I made it to camp & got warm & ate a LOT! You know, , "FUN!"

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2013, 21:42
I think I will store the stove separately and use the pot to prevent food like cheerios from getting crushed in the backpack. While the taste will probably prevent a fatal ingestion, I would rather skip having me and the kids puking if the stove leaks and I don't catch it.

Now that you say it, that's sounds like a really good use for the cookpot.

Also, I ended up switching to isobutane canisters and a pocket rocket. The stuff expands into a gas as soon as it leaves the cannister, no chance of residue.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 21:44
Never fry bacon naked. And no, don't ask how I know....

No need to ask....been there, done that, ouch.

Plodderman
08-12-2013, 23:38
A canoe, a river at flood and to many national geographic shows.

Feral Bill
08-13-2013, 00:04
There aren't enough pixels to even begin the list. I am lucky to be here.

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 00:04
Maybe not the dumbest thing I ever did, but right up in there. I'm re-posting this from a trail journal post to a thread.

In 1982 graduated high school and recently finished peter jenkins book "A walk across America". Hiking was what I needed to do. A friend and I went to the delaware water gap in NJ. Snow was on the ground. We hiked in a few miles and found a nice spot it was by a little stream flat ground fire wood every where we were tired and it was already dark. We were not aware of the rules about land use, nor did we care at the time. We had brought with us lots of food a couple big "T-bones", and plenty of beer. That night we had a big roaring fire and a good beering. A small hill was near by we had also brought a couple of rolled up plastic sleds, what big fun we had. It will always be one of my best memories of a mis-spent youth. The next mourning while breaking camp my buddy starts laughing uncontrollable. Whats so funny I asked? he pointed up towards the sky, What I said not seeing anything. There, right there, on the tree. Aparently we were not the first to find this spot, there was a big sign made of wood that read

NO camping
NO fires
NO alcohol.

big big Ooops.

I've also fixed some of the punctuation as it was written before I met one of my Englich Teachers, Driver 8. He taught me how to use the return Key and spacing...thanks Driver 8.

BirdBrain
08-13-2013, 00:22
I don't qualify. I have never done anything dumb in my life unless you count lying.

BirdBrain
08-13-2013, 00:25
Honest answer now:

Drinking and driving. Haven't done it since 1980 though. It is one thing to be dumb with your own life. It takes it to a whole new level when you are dumb with another life.

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 00:29
Honest answer now:

Drinking and driving. Haven't done it since 1980 though. It is one thing to be dumb with your own life. It takes it to a whole new level when you are dumb with another life. Hey Bird Brain, you can add that one to my list as well, though this Sunday I'll have 10 years sobriety :) Aug 18th, 2003

BirdBrain
08-13-2013, 00:32
Hey Bird Brain, you can add that one to my list as well, though this Sunday I'll have 10 years sobriety :) Aug 18th, 2003

Congrats. October 18, 1980 for me.

BuckeyeBill
08-13-2013, 00:32
I am 6 years sober and month and a half non smoking. It took a DUI for me to quit drinking. I have never felt better.

Different Socks
08-13-2013, 00:33
Went to climb a mtn alone and no experience. Stepped into a chute that was wet and fell. Fell again and lost glasses. Fell a 3rd time and almost went over a cliff. Climbed back up to the ridge and down other side while dealing with sewing machine legs, no glasses and blind as a bat. Down the opposite side and being pelted by tiny rocks. Slid down a shallow snow covered draw reopening wounds on arms and hands so left a trail of blood for 300 yards while bouncing off each side of the draw. Walked in the dark with no flashlight for the entire 10 miles back to ranger station. Collapsed at door of home of ranger and woke up next morning in the hospital.

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 00:37

I am 6 years sober and month and a half non smoking. It took a DUI for me to quit drinking. I have never felt better.
Awesome...

sorry to jack the thread folks but I know you'll understand, it's for good cause, and gettin honest is sometimes difficult:sun

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 00:59
no complaints here....I'm proud of all of you

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 01:04
Thanks Teacher23373

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 01:10
What's the dumbest thing you've done?Every time I think I've finally recalled the dumbest thing I've ever done in short time I recall something even dumber I've done. So, right now I'm being quiet. Sometimes it's best to repress our urges to communicate everything.

Deer Hunter
08-13-2013, 01:12
Honest answer now:

Drinking and driving. Haven't done it since 1980 though. It is one thing to be dumb with your own life. It takes it to a whole new level when you are dumb with another life.

Hey Bird Brain, you can add that one to my list as well, though this Sunday I'll have 10 years sobriety :) Aug 18th, 2003

Yes, drinking and driving. 20 years alcohol free as of April 30th.

lynn523
08-13-2013, 01:26
"I am an optimist and like to think that my dumbest days are still to come."
+1

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 01:28
What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Every time I think I've finally recalled the dumbest thing I've ever done in short time I recall something even dumber I've done. So, right now I'm being quiet. Sometimes it's best to repress our urges to communicate everything.Lots of truth in that, and that's why I won't tell the one about....

Sweet, there are many here among us who feel life is but a.....

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 01:28
"I am an optimist and like to think that my dumbest days are still to come."
+1
that was brilliant wasn't it :D

coach lou
08-13-2013, 05:46
Lots of truth in that, and that's why I won't tell the one about....

Honest answer now:

Congratulations fellas!:banana

chiefduffy
08-13-2013, 06:49
Congratulations fellas!:banana

+ 1!
Just one of a veritable plethera (always wanted to say that) of dumb things: I had stopped at a shelter and cooked supper. Decided to get a few more miles. About a mile DOWNhill from the shelter I realized I couldnt remember repacking my pepsi-can stove. I dug through my pack - no stove. So I stashed my pack in the woods, ran back UP the mile to the shelter, but couldnt find my stove there. Finally gave up and went back down the trail, found my pack in the dark, set up camp. Of course, found my stove in my pack the next morning. :o

(Sober since June 6, 1997)

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2013, 07:34
I don't qualify. I have never done anything dumb in my life unless you count lying.

and living with a poor memory......

coach lou
08-13-2013, 07:49
I guess hiking wise, the most recent that I can remember is this past 4th of July walk. I took a small frozen container of my Tomato sauce, with me. I brought 2 small bags of 3 minute pasta, a large gas bottle so I could boil it all. A larger than normal pot to do it all in, plus my small pot for coffee. Yummmmmmy!
The shuttle dropped me off at the trail head north of Lonesome Lake. As I was climbing, I was doing a little mental check list of my stuff.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek ::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::datz I left the frozen sauce in the cooler in my car at the Hikers Welcome Hostel.:datz

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 08:25

I agree!!! PROUD OF YOU GUYS!!! :clap

max patch
08-13-2013, 09:28
We forgot the sleeping bags one weekend trip so we just made the same hike one long dayhike.

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 10:18
I already told my dumb story before but here it is again...

I hung my clothes sack on the bear pole and slept with my food sack, in my tent,instead. :datz

It happened at Walnut Mt. shelter where they had lots of "bear warnings", previously. Also, I'm terrified of bears sniffing around my tent at night, so I was trying to be extra careful not to have food any where near me.

The guys that were sleeping in the shelter couldn't stop laughing.:sun

joshuasdad
08-13-2013, 10:26
Not the stupidest thing I have done (1-30 on that list are pre-graduation), but I ate too much at the Homeplace (with Hiker Mom) the night before a 20 mile section hike...

Corn, fried chicken, and hiking do not get along.

BirdBrain
08-13-2013, 10:38

You lost me. What were we talking about? :)

litefoot2000
08-13-2013, 10:50
What's the dumbest thing you've done, nothing please that can be used against you in a court of law.
Creating an account on WB.

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 10:54
Not the stupidest thing I have done (1-30 on that list are pre-graduation), but I ate too much at the Homeplace (with Hiker Mom) the night before a 20 mile section hike...

Corn, fried chicken, and hiking do not get along.

LOL... It's hard not 2 inhale all that good food!! ;0) It was a good time with you, Eagle Eye and Carry On!

You're doing great, joshuasdad, knocking out those miles!! :) Thanks for all your info on the search too.

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 11:03
Creating an account on WB.

But you forgot to post a "face". Would it be this :p or :eek: or :D or :mad:.

I'm :confused:..... I see you are fairly new here. Welcome litefoot2000! :D

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 12:02
This thread should be renamed "The dumbest.....or the smartest....thing I've ever done..." in honor of our recovering posters!

Drybones
08-13-2013, 13:09

I have an excellent memory.....................it's just short.

q-tip
08-13-2013, 13:23
First backpacking trip--bought a 4-seaon tent-0 degree sleeping bag and an expedition pack--all good except I lived on Florida and it was June.......

BirdBrain
08-13-2013, 13:24
This thread should be renamed "The dumbest.....or the smartest....thing I've ever done..." in honor of our recovering posters!

I would name the smartest thing I have ever done, but someone would be offended and it would start a debate that is not allowed on Whiteblaze.

Gray Blazer
08-13-2013, 13:27
I would name the smartest thing I have ever done,

We'd have to rename you Egghead.

BirdBrain
08-13-2013, 13:31
We'd have to rename you Egghead.

I will refrain then. I am properly named now. The 1st suggestion was RavenLunatic. The second was SeagullWhisperer. When BirdBrain was picked, I latched on to it. I am a BirdBrain.

Wait a sec... I think I get your inference. I once was a Bird, but became an egg again. Perhaps I have said too much.

Deer Hunter
08-13-2013, 13:57
Lots of truth in that, and that's why I won't tell the one about....

Nice Hendrix line there socks.

max patch
08-13-2013, 14:02
Nice Hendrix line there socks.

Or Beyonce. Hard to tell with Rsocks.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 15:15
[QUOTE=Teacher & Snacktime;151636}...... in honor of our recovering posters![/QUOTE]

Hummm! Maybe they have recovered as in the past tense rather than in the present tense recovering as implying always recovering until they die. Let's see. Spent decades drinking and drugging. Stopped at 40 yrs of age. Walked away from those habits. Now 80 yrs of age. Does the "in recovery" or "recovering" mindset and definition still aptly apply at 80 yrs of age or during all of those non using 40 yrs of sobriety? According to some it does. I don't get it. *Don't see that in the actual medical literature. See that mindset espoused by pseudo scientists though quite often.

Had an Uncle who smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for 30 yrs. This is a powerful physical and psychological habit forming addictive drug and lifestyle choice. Stopped and never once looked back. Lived for 40 more yrs AFTER HE stopped smoking tobacco cigarettes until his death at 90 yrs of age. Was he also in recovery as a "recovering addict" during those last 40 yrs of his life? Did he have an incurable verifiable disease based on his cigarette smoking habit? I would say most definitely NOT.

I see similar situations with "recovered" hardcore illicit street drug users as well as users of drugs like caffeine, cold medicines, pain relievers(Vitamin I for example), etc etc etc. Why is alcohol treated so differently as if it's a "special drug" requiring a whole new set of ideals and institutions to maintain sobriety and break the addiction?

I've heard the term dry drunk in recovery but never a smokeless cigarette addict in recovery or a empty cup coffee addict in recovery or empty syringe heroin addict in recovery.

Not angry just some thoughts about our notions of some things and how those notions may actually play into prolonging our thoughts and possible usage surrounding addictions. I've learned to question. Some don't like that.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 15:20
No such thing as recovered....only recovering. Ending this discussion.

So, what dumb thing did YOU do?

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 15:25
No such thing as recovered....only recovering.

Where did this idea originate as it applies here? Have you ever questioned that belief you have bought into? I certainly see little basis for it in medical literature.

Drybones
08-13-2013, 15:27

Hey Joe, where you goin with that..........

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 15:36
No one ever gets fully healed, disease free, gets to fully move on with their life and put broken addictions in the past. They just continue their treatment by taking their medicine to address, what some call, a disease. They make it an incurable disease on top of it. See that mindset that belief? Show me clinical actual medical studies that prove this "incurable disease model" concept.

Ender
08-13-2013, 15:45
Let's try to keep this on track, and not get diverted into what is and what isn't alcoholism. Please.

JustaTouron
08-13-2013, 15:51
What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Get involved in an off topic internet debate on whether to use the past tense or present progressive of the verb "to recover" when referring to people who have ceased engaging in destructive behavior.

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 15:53
Congratulations fellas!:bananaThanks Coach! :)

+ 1!
Just one of a veritable plethera (always wanted to say that) of dumb things: I had stopped at a shelter and cooked supper. Decided to get a few more miles. About a mile DOWNhill from the shelter I realized I couldnt remember repacking my pepsi-can stove. I dug through my pack - no stove. So I stashed my pack in the woods, ran back UP the mile to the shelter, but couldnt find my stove there. Finally gave up and went back down the trail, found my pack in the dark, set up camp. Of course, found my stove in my pack the next morning. :o

(Sober since June 6, 1997)Very nice Chief Duffy! :)

I guess hiking wise, the most recent that I can remember is this past 4th of July walk. I took a small frozen container of my Tomato sauce, with me. I brought 2 small bags of 3 minute pasta, a large gas bottle so I could boil it all. A larger than normal pot to do it all in, plus my small pot for coffee. Yummmmmmy!
The shuttle dropped me off at the trail head north of Lonesome Lake. As I was climbing, I was doing a little mental check list of my stuff.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek ::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::datz I left the frozen sauce in the cooler in my car at the Hikers Welcome Hostel.:datzI'll bet you wont do that again :D

I agree!!! PROUD OF YOU GUYS!!! :clapThanks Mama :sun

Creating an account on WB.I hear ya, it is a love hate thing at times :)

This thread should be renamed "The dumbest.....or the smartest....thing I've ever done..." in honor of our recovering posters!Most definitely the smartest thing for me.:)

First backpacking trip--bought a 4-seaon tent-0 degree sleeping bag and an expedition pack--all good except I lived on Florida and it was June.......Well, there is always the chance of that 1-150 year frost that drives the price up on my orange juice...and to a Floridian that sure can feel like 0 degrees I imagine.:-?

Nice Hendrix line there socks.It came to me in a dream ;)

Or Beyonce. Hard to tell with Rsocks.No double entendre on this one Max, just straight up "There are many here among us who feel that life is but a...gift":sun

Hey Joe, where you goin with that..........big book in your hand:)

rocketsocks
08-13-2013, 16:01
Another dumb thing I attempted...change user name without checking with those who would call me by said name...what was I thinking, hehe:datz

Dogwood, in my case I don't get to graduate, I'm sure it's different for many people, and I'm more than happy to discuss, I too like to question everything, it's in my DNA...hey we could debate that one too...just not in this thread.

Sorry Ender, really did not mean to jack the thread...I'm out on this topic, in this thread.:)

Drybones
08-13-2013, 16:04
In my 20's (that's an excuse if you dont recognize it), self-destuctive, spent two weeks bumming around out west, we'd each pour a shot of tequila and put it beside our sleeping bag to start the next day with. Went into a bar in Aspen to do some serious drinking, we were looking out the window and someone says let's go climb that mountain and spend the night on top, bad idea, no rope and no training, and been drinking. Not bad until we got above tree line and it turned into a cliff, two of us went up, one followed the tree line. Got into a situation where there was no way back, it was late in the afternoon and we were just looking for something to hold on to for the night, nothing there, kept thinking we were almost to the top but it just kept moving. Accepted the fact that I was about to die. Finally reached the top (a knife edge piece of rock) at dark, the third person found a rope the locals had hanging down the mountainside and came out about 60' below us and asked how he could get up, told him to stay where he was if he had anything to hold on to, he said "hell no, there's bears down here", he'd seen pieces of fur and meat outside caves, probably Mt lions. Anyway, he wedged himself in a large crack and worked his way up. Had to take a knife and chisel out enough rocks to make a place for about half my body to lay on, thought it would be the worst night ever but fell into a sleep before I could remove the large rock that hit me in the spine as I lay back. Every muscle in my body had passed the fatigue point, dont know how I made it up, woke up the next morning with a euphoric high I cant explain, best I ever felt in my life...I was still able to observe the grass from the top side. I've had a lot of close calls, had a motorcycle wreck that crushed my chest, broke all the ribs on the right side, most multiple times, had a hole in the chest you could put a softball in, had no blood pressure when they got me to the hospital, they told they poured blood from shoes that got knocked off my feet, but I was closer to dieing that day on the mt. Someone's been looking out for me for many years, dont deserve it but I'm grateful.

Nutbrown
08-14-2013, 08:11
My college roommate and I would drive down to North Myrtle Beach, park our car somewhere, and walk the strip. We always got a ride from some guys, and usually crashed at their place...no hanky panky, just looking for a place to sleep. We were never assaulted in any way, and always found just a nice group of people to chill with. I still don't understand how we weren't raped and murdered. North Myrtle is definitely NOT like the trail, and to find good people there was, well, life saving.

Wise Old Owl
08-14-2013, 08:23
I will refrain then. I am properly named now. The 1st suggestion was RavenLunatic. The second was SeagullWhisperer. When BirdBrain was picked, I latched on to it. I am a BirdBrain.

Wait a sec... I think I get your inference. I once was a Bird, but became an egg again. Perhaps I have said too much.

philosophical thinking in a mixing bowl...would you prefer scrambled with your bacon this morning sir?

Drybones
08-14-2013, 08:24
...what was I thinking, hehe:datz

.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_uV3cbUkRI

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 08:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_uV3cbUkRI

Yeah I knew there'd be hell to pay, but it crossed my mind a little to late :D what was I thinkin'

modiyooch
05-25-2014, 22:33
1. started my long distance hike in Nov.

2. I lost my tent site while hanging my bear bag. It got dark while hanging the bag and I didn't have a flashlight, nor a jacket. It gets cold quickly in the mts in nov.

Blue Mountain Edward
05-26-2014, 02:15
Went canoeind down little Schuylkill creek with my Dad. Water was to shallow at spots so my Dad was walking for a while. The sunset and it got dark and we had no flashlights. My Dad refused to go any farher downstream so we started walking back to one of the 2 cars we had. We walked back to the main road and my Dad called my Stepmom for a ride. Then he went crazy and was flagging down cars, panicking, ranting and raving. We got a ride back to one of the cars from my Stepmom. The other car was only 200 yards downstream from where my Dad quite hiking. That was the last time I would get in a boat with my Dad. And the first time I realised my Dad is insane. He is locked up in a psychiatric ward now. So the time I spent with him was important. And that was the worst canoeing trip ever.

Damn Yankee
05-26-2014, 07:58
Oh my, I don't know where to start; I've done so many stupid things. Lighting firecrackers in an old quarry while drinking with buddies. Some of the FC did not go off and were just over the edge of a 50' cliff, went to get them, lost balance and tumbled 50' to the bottom.

Took home some turkey day left overs and had been drinking again, put the plate of food in the oven and fell asleep. I woke up choking from smoke, opened oven and reached in to pull plate with bare hands not thinking and burned my hand. This is just a couple examples of stupidness. I have a lifetime of them

jasonty
06-02-2014, 06:25
the dumbest thing i've ever done is admitting to my family that i'm bipolar, now they disown me, if you don't know that bipolar is you can see here psychological disorders list (http://dinomoz.com/thread-psychological-disorders-list)

shakey_snake
06-02-2014, 08:53
First backpacking trip--bought a 4-seaon tent-0 degree sleeping bag and an expedition pack--all good except I lived on Florida and it was June.......

Well, you didn't want to die did you? Because that's what happens when people sleep outside: death!

shakey_snake
06-02-2014, 08:55
Dumbest thing I ever did was refuse to go to the doctor regarding a pretty bad ingrown toenail situation.

It was ingrown on both sides of the nail and my toe looked like hamburger meat for about a year.

Rolls Kanardly
06-02-2014, 16:09
imagine 11yrs old, large garage, can of gasoline and an M80....kaboom
Almost got my butt tanned on more than one occasion for M80's and Cherry bombs. M80's, like a miniature stick of dynoooomittte.

And yes it was dumb. Rolls

squeezebox
06-02-2014, 19:32
At home once I cut up a bunch of hot peppers and then took a break for a wank, did not wash my hands , ouch !!

bangorme
06-02-2014, 19:33
Let's see, so hard to pick the dumbest thing. I was on the last day of a trip, had just enough alcohol and water to make my freezer-bag meal. Set up my free standing tent, didn't stake it. Wind blows tent into my stove, spilling all the water and alcohol. Only good think is that it didn't burn a hole in my tent. So, I guess I was dumb, but lucky.

Lone Wolf
06-02-2014, 19:36
hung my food ONCE. never again. dumb

Sarcasm the elf
06-02-2014, 19:44
Signing those mortgage papers might just have been the dumbest thing I've ever done...American dream my ass...

coach lou
06-02-2014, 21:34
Signing those mortgage papers might just have been the dumbest thing I've ever done...American dream my ass...

How did you fair along the river? Flooding-wise?

Sarcasm the elf
06-02-2014, 21:47
How did you fair along the river? Flooding-wise?

The river cottage is doing great, love it here. The end of our street flooded a little, but are just a little higher up and much safer.

My previous comment was referring to my former money pit in Stamford.

Theosus
06-03-2014, 20:26
My dumbest hiking thing:

Bought a new rain jacket from Target. Went on a two day hike in weather I knew would be cold and rainy. 100% chance of rain.
Thirty minutes into the hike, it was apparent that my brand new waterproof coat, was not. Froze all day. No backup rain gear for my new coat, everything soaked. Went to bed in my hammock cold, finally warmed up.
Next day had to put on those wet blanket clothes and hike out in the rain. When I would drop my arms to my sides I would lose about a 1/4 cup of water from each sleeve.

Things I learned: don't trust your life to gear on the target clearance rack. Synthetic fleece undershirts WILL help you stay warm, even saturated with water (you heat the water as you walk). Having a nice shelter in rainy weather is very nice, as you watch your sodden clothes drip Water onto the ground. sleeping in wet underwear will dry them. Sleeping damp in down quilts makes you smell like a dead wet goose.

My dumbest non hiking thing? Not sure about that whole fifth amendment and state of limitations stuff, so I'll keep that quiet. And I never got a letter from Maury asking about a paternity test, so I guess I'm okay there too.

Josh Calhoun
06-09-2014, 10:04
start the AT as on ofe them purists.....

lemon b
06-09-2014, 10:21
I've done my share of dumb self centered stuff hiking. Always caused by drinking. Usually in the making a mess department and long ago. Once the drinking stopped to dumb thoughtlessness stopped.

mattjv89
06-09-2014, 10:54
A couple years back when I was getting into long hikes, day hiked Katahdin in jeans and a cotton T shirt. Sure glad it didn't start raining up there. More recently I was PCT hanging a food bag and in my haste to get it up managed to loop the long end around the carabiner creating a really nice friction brake. The sinking feeling when you let go of the line and the bag remains tightly cinched to the top of the tree...

Yankytyke
06-10-2014, 11:54
I have over stretched my legs lumbering over boulders. Split my pants a good 6 inches from my crotch. Nothing else to do I called my wife to pick me up at the closet trailhead. As I hiked over there the split got bigger & bigger & the trial got more & more busy.
i had to do spend a great deal of leaning on trees awkwardly, or posing behind rocks. By the time I got to the car, my pants were held together by a few inches at the ankle.
thus I never over stretch whilst boulder climbing.

English Stu
06-11-2014, 06:02
I walked late one time and bivvied on a quiet, wide roadside verge and enjoyed a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale before turning in.Woke up next morning to see a forest of legs tut tutting at the homeless drunken guy.I was next to bus stop.

middle to middle
06-11-2014, 16:52
Very good. Me too !

middle to middle
06-11-2014, 17:06
I recall after dark walking through a park, it was cold raining windy, mens room was warm dry lit, I sacked out in doorway. You know I slept in and woke up to people stepping over me.

rocketsocks
06-11-2014, 18:34
I recall after dark walking through a park, it was cold raining windy, mens room was warm dry lit, I sacked out in doorway. You know I slept in and woke up to people stepping over me.
Damn, nobody threw ya a couple bucks.:D